Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He's still going to be on-air during Redskins broadcasts so I assume he's still part of "the team" in some ways. He's just not going to be on every day. 

I'm wondering if the money is the same for Doc and Cooley regardless, now that they lost their shows.

I just jumped in the car and heard Koken and Knoche (I think that's how you spell it). If that's the mid-day team, I have to admit I understand it but won't be tempted to listen often. It gives the station a credible hockey and basketball guy, so it makes sense. Now that there's no connection to the Redskins, maybe they want to diversify and cover things a little more evenly. But, those two certainly don't move the needle for me at all. I guess it's still better than listening to national programs, but only due to content, not personalities. 

I thought Bram was horrible simply because he had Grant Paulsen's know-it-all attitude without any of the likability.  I remember his show with Brian Mitchell 10+ years ago on 980 was often uncomfortable to listen to for that exact reason, since it was obvious BMitch couldn't stand him.

The only personalities I really like on 980 are Sheehan, Galdi, Czabe, and BMitch.  Although Grant, Danny, and Dukes still having shows is kind of criminal at this point.  I only tune to 106.7 when I feel like listening to the Junkies.

21 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I thought Bram was horrible simply because he had Grant Paulsen's know-it-all attitude without any of the likability.  I remember his show with Brian Mitchell 10+ years ago on 980 was often uncomfortable to listen to for that exact reason, since it was obvious BMitch couldn't stand him.

The only personalities I really like on 980 are Sheehan, Galdi, Czabe, and BMitch.  Although Grant, Danny, and Dukes still having shows is kind of criminal at this point.  I only tune to 106.7 when I feel like listening to the Junkies.

That's interesting to me...I prefer Bram over Grant, by a long shot.

I think Grant Paulsen is possibly the most punchable and annoying local radio host (maybe tied with Chad Dukes). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think Grant Paulsen is possibly the most punchable and annoying local radio host (maybe tied with Chad Dukes). 

That's because Bram is much more Pro Redskins.

But they are basically the same person.  Grant being the Redskins pessimist and Bram the optimist.

I'm personally not a big fan of either.

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You might be right, I am probably a bit biased since he hosts the Caps postgame and I feel like he is somewhat less annoying on there (or at least is less noticeable since I actually like his cohosts).  I just have never liked Bram and I think his ego got exponentially worse after going to ESPN for a while.

I'd definitely consider Chad Dukes the worst in the region.  I'm really not sure that guy is fit to take orders at McDonald's.

FWIW I thought Grant was a great beat reporter when he covered the skins.  He probably should have stuck to that.

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Haha 2

I think that they need to seriously revamp or reorganize that whole lineup in regards to their programming.  They've tried multiple times, to fix their afternoon/evening programs, but they just haven't caught on.  They just need to either do a few shows during the morning, and switch to national programming for the rest of the day, or they just need to completely get rid of the sports talk format at that station all together.  I liked Cooley & Kevin, and I'm sad to see Cooley go, but keep Kevin on, and have him do a solo show.  Have Galdi continue to do the 5-7AM show, or move him to 11-1PM after Kevin.  Those should be the ONLY two shows on that station, since everything else they've done in the afternoon/evening has been a failure.  I don't care for Bram Weinstein, and I can't stand the Doc & B-Mitch afternoon show, so I'm not upset that those two shows got canned.  I don't care about Czabe's late afternoon show, so I'm indifferent on him.

Just cover local sports from 5AM-1PM, and do national radio the rest of the day.  It's clear that they don't have any personalities or ideas that would be successful besides Sheehan & Galdi.  They've also got to get an FM signal down the line, so that you don't hear static constantly after sundown. 

7 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I think that they need to seriously revamp or reorganize that whole lineup in regards to their programming.  They've tried multiple times, to fix their afternoon/evening programs, but they just haven't caught on.  They just need to either do a few shows during the morning, and switch to national programming for the rest of the day, or they just need to completely get rid of the sports talk format at that station all together.  I liked Cooley & Kevin, and I'm sad to see Cooley go, but keep Kevin on, and have him do a solo show.  Have Galdi continue to do the 5-7AM show, or move him to 11-1PM after Kevin.  Those should be the ONLY two shows on that station, since everything else they've done in the afternoon/evening has been a failure.  I don't care for Bram Weinstein, and I can't stand the Doc & B-Mitch afternoon show, so I'm not upset that those two shows got canned.  I don't care about Czabe's late afternoon show, so I'm indifferent on him.

Just cover local sports from 5AM-1PM, and do national radio the rest of the day.  It's clear that they don't have any personalities or ideas that would be successful besides Sheehan & Galdi.  They've also got to get an FM signal down the line, so that you don't hear static constantly after sundown. 

They'll save money, but the ratings will sink even further if they added national programming during the day. This isn't Topeka, Kansas most people in the D.C. area don't give a damn about what's going on with the Arizona Cardinals or LA Raiders. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

They'll save money, but the ratings will sink even further if they added national programming during the day. This isn't Topeka, Kansas most people in the D.C. area don't give a damn about what's going on with the Arizona Cardinals or LA Raiders. 

Nah, I actually think that ratings will be either the same, or might even go up a little bit.  980 has a real personality problem.  Other than Galdi & Sheehan, they have absolutely NO one who moves the needle, and makes you want to listen to their programming.  They're already getting killed by 106.7 in the ratings (it's not even close), so they should just do local programming until 1PM, and just do national programming the rest of the day.  You underestimate the transplants that live here, who don't want to listen to local sports radio, and hate being bombarded by Redskins talk.  I actually think that if you air some national programming, it wouldn't be a ratings drop, simply because you're giving people who can't stand local sports talk other options.  How many New Yorkers, or Bostonians, or Californians live here, and would rather listen to Golic & Wingo, or Lebatard than whatever Doc/B-Mitch/Czabe have to say about the Skins.

Edited by samy316

Not surprised by Doc. Nicknames and vague talk about toughness never became detailed x's and o's. Cooley and Brian Mitchell both clearly were preparing before going on the radio. Smoot now too. He jokes nonstop, but he knows his ****. But Doc sounded like he just showed up and was trying to remember sportscaster from last nightm

I am bummed about Bram. 

Nobody should get their own show alone now. That includes Sheehan. If you are keeping him and Galdi. Put them together I guess midday. 

Oh, and if you want to up quality. Have more beat writers as guests instead of taking calls. The same people call in with the same takes. 

5 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Not surprised by Doc. Nicknames and vague talk about toughness never became detailed x's and o's. Cooley and Brian Mitchell both clearly were preparing before going on the radio. Smoot now too. He jokes nonstop, but he knows his ****. But Doc sounded like he just showed up and was trying to remember sportscaster from last nightm

I am bummed about Bram. 

Nobody should get their own show alone now. That includes Sheehan. If you are keeping him and Galdi. Put them together I guess midday. 

Oh, and if you want to up quality. Have more beat writers as guests instead of taking calls. The same people call in with the same takes. 

Your're 100% correct about taking calls.  I can't stand sports shows that focus in on taking calls from the same 10-20 idiots that give their moronic takes.  I think Sheehan & Galdi's shows would be 100x better without taking calls every 30 minutes.  I actually love sports talk shows that focus in on interviews and the hosts takes than what an idiot caller has to say.

Edited by samy316

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

Your're 100% correct about taking calls.  I can't stand sports shows that focus in on taking calls from the same 10-20 idiots that give their moronic takes.  I think Sheehan & Galdi's shows would be 100x better without taking calls every 30 minutes.  I actually love sports talk shows that focus in on interviews and the hosts takes than what an idiot caller has to say.

I don't know - I like when they take calls and read texts/tweets. I don't want it to be the entire show, but a couple times per show is fine with me. There are still plenty of times when you can have beat guys, etc. 

Given that these guys are knowledgeable but not experts, I think calls are important. A generation (or two) ago, there were guys like Ken Beatrice who could assess players, etc. These guys aren't that, so they require more debate/interaction. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't know - I like when they take calls and read texts/tweets. I don't want it to be the entire show, but a couple times per show is fine with me. There are still plenty of times when you can have beat guys, etc. 

Given that these guys are knowledgeable but not experts, I think calls are important. A generation (or two) ago, there were guys like Ken Beatrice who could assess players, etc. These guys aren't that, so they require more debate/interaction. 

I agree TD, and while there are a few morons that call in, I think most callers have just as much insight as the hosts. I remember the day when the Nats got Eaton and Pollin says "Well, I don't know a lot about him." Gee Andy, maybe you could do your job and read an article on the guy instead of reading about the 74 Skins?

Also don't like how they feel the need to leap from topic to topic every 20 minutes. Let the show be more freewheeling and caller driven. Think a large part of why  it's not that way is that, probably with the exception of Galdi and Sheehan, these other guys are reluctant to go outside of their NFL comfort zone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Tweets or emails would be fine. 

But "thanks for taking my call" and "I'll make this quick" before an incoherent ramble isn't interesting. 

That's why I said have more beat reporters. I'd rather hear from Keim or Zuckerman for twice as long. 

9 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Tweets or emails would be fine. 

But "thanks for taking my call" and "I'll make this quick" before an incoherent ramble isn't interesting. 

That's why I said have more beat reporters. I'd rather hear from Keim or Zuckerman for twice as long. 

HA, that is a good percentage of the calls...not a bad point, especially with how many more quality tweets they could get to and vet 

20 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Are we that jaded nowadays that we don't even have time for a one-second pleasantry at the start of a conversation?  Kornheiser would cut callers off just for asking "how's it going?" and I thought he was a complete douche for doing so. 

I know we don't want callers to give their life stories, but geez. 

Edited by hail2skins

If this is true, the only one I'm really all that broke up about is Cooley, but only for the Cooley Film Breakdowns.  

I'll miss Bram a bit.  I thought I was really going to love his show, because I really liked him back in the day, but honestly. I never got into it as much as I thought I was.

Doc getting canned is 20 years too late.  I appreciate what he did as a player, but as a personality and commentator he's all schtick, no substance, and the schtick is the same nickname bull-crap as it's been since 2008.  It's tired, pointless, and old. 

I hope Chick finds a home there.  My first inclination would be to pair him with Kevin in the morning, but they're kinda almost the same guy.  

Smoot and Chick were a great listen...

13 hours ago, justice98 said:

I mean, 980 certainly isnt sentimental.  First they kicked Pollin to the curb, now Doc.  Doc has probably been there for 25 years.

They shouldn't.  It's business.

9 hours ago, samy316 said:

Nah, I actually think that ratings will be either the same, or might even go up a little bit.  980 has a real personality problem.  Other than Galdi & Sheehan, they have absolutely NO one who moves the needle, and makes you want to listen to their programming.  They're already getting killed by 106.7 in the ratings (it's not even close), so they should just do local programming until 1PM, and just do national programming the rest of the day.  You underestimate the transplants that live here, who don't want to listen to local sports radio, and hate being bombarded by Redskins talk.  I actually think that if you air some national programming, it wouldn't be a ratings drop, simply because you're giving people who can't stand local sports talk other options.  How many New Yorkers, or Bostonians, or Californians live here, and would rather listen to Golic & Wingo, or Lebatard than whatever Doc/B-Mitch/Czabe have to say about the Skins.

Totally anecdotal, but any time I turn on 980 and it's some nationally syndicated show, I immediately change the channel to anything else.

We need something better than what 106.7 offers, I liked 980 because they talk Skins.  I don't care about Lurch getting spider bites on his penis or how many potato skins with chili Chad Dukes had the night before.

Just give me a Redskins station.

• Like 2