Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 11/30/2021 at 7:36 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can remember Holland's Spider-Man desperately trying to keep a huge ferry together or save his friends from danger at the Washington monument or fighting an elemental monster in Venice.  You know what I can't remember?  A single interesting action set piece from any of the Sony Spider-Man movies.

this is utterly insane. The train scene from Spider-Man 2 is iconic and easily the most famous scene in any Spider-Man movie. The bridge scene from

Spider-Man 1 is also more memorable than any scene from Holland’s movies.  

the ferry scene? The scene where Spider-Man badly screwed up, nearly killed 300 people, was saved by iron man, and got his suit taken away as punishment  like a little kid? Yeah, great scene for the character. 

the time square fight with electro from ASM2 is also better than any Holland set piece but that’s because he’s actually comic book Spider-Man there and that scene is the best interpretation of comic Spider-Man in any movie. He actually uses his abilities there rather than just asking his tony Stark made suit and AI what to do 

Everyone loves Spider-Man because he's energetic and boyish and sweet and relatable and funny and charming and self-deprecating and the neighborhood level superhero--which is exactly what Tom Holland is.

everyone loved Spider-Man long before Holland showed up so this doesn’t make much sense. and aside from Garfield and Macguire not looking 12 years old, they fit all of those characteristics too. 

You know who was a lame ass Spider-Man?  ****boy skater douche Andrew Garfield.  Peter Parker is NEVER supposed to be cool, and Garfield thinks he is

I think Garfield was a more believable Peter than Holland. So what he skates lol. It’s much more believable that Garfield is an outcast in school than Holland. He’s weird in those movies. Cool? Holland’s Peter has a smoking hot aunt, interns with the coolest and most famous person in the world, is the smartest kid in school, and looks like Tom Holland. There is no way he isn’t prom king, it’s just not believable. But he gets shy around MJ, so he must be a total dweeb lol. Oh, speaking of MJ, lets be honest, she’s not MJ. Awful MJ. What the hell is that about too?

And yeah, the MCU Spider-Man films have better supporting casts, villains, sidekicks, bit parts and all.  Because they are much better movies.  Better stories, better acting, better writing.  And they are better even while being constrained within the context of a much larger franchise and performing storytelling service for it.  A franchise where Holland routinely shares the screen with most of the best leading men in Hollywood and provides some of the most memorable sequences.  He absolutely has range too, his character provides the heart for infinity war,

I just disagree with all of this. In the MCU to this point, Spider-Man has existed solely for Tony Stark’s character development. He has no purpose on his own. Even his villains are more about the impact of Tony Stark, his actions, his legacy than they are anything to do with Peter and Spider-Man. With Tony gone who knows what will happen but that’s a fact as of right now. Hell, they clearly couldn’t write a good Spider-Man villain in the MCU without Stark so they had to bring in the previous villains to save him. And he can't even fight them alone because the MCu Spider-Man is of course ridiculously weak and babied so we get additional Spider-Men to help. That’s not a spoiler I’m just assuming that’s the case since it seems pretty clearly to be what will happen. 

if you want to say they are better movies, whatever. I disagree but all MCu movies are ridiculously  well made so in that sense, sure. But they are not good Spider-Man movies and Spider-Man is poorly written in the MCU. 

which I could write another 6 paragraphs of why he’s poorly written but I’ve said it multiple times in this thread before. 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, Renegade7 said:

Ive said this before and ill say it again, im tired of Spider-Boy, wheres Spider-Man?  I grew up with the 90s cartoon on fox saturday mornings, he was a grown ass man already bangin Mary Jane.  The idea of three more movies with teenager storylines doesnt excite me at all.

this is 100% true. And we see in the trailer, the premise for this no way home is based on yet another ****up from Peter both messing up Strange’s spell and asking for the spell in the first place because he can’t deal with the consequences of his actions. He’s such a ****ing baby in the mcu. 

yoy are right. The fox show, the comics, previous movies, other shows. The PS4 game. I’ve never seen a Spider-Man story where he’s such a whiny little kid, crying when he can’t get ice cream with MJ. The mcu glossed over the whole “great power/great responsibility” bit and it’s easy to see why since they can’t include that with this version of Peter where he doesn’t give a **** about his responsibilities, he just wants to cry and be a kid. Uncle Ben is rolling over in his grave watching Holland’s Peter. 

also - good luck with far from home. Obviously, I didn’t care much for it. More laughably stupid actions from Peter that **** on his entire relationship with Stark and **** on his own character’s supposed intelligence. Really need to stop writing Spider-Man as some dumb whining **** kid

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

You know who was a lame ass Spider-Man?  ****boy skater douche Andrew Garfield.  Peter Parker is NEVER supposed to be cool, and Garfield thinks he is.  

Who knew skating automatically made somebody cool.  lol

• Haha 1

Everyone loves Spider-Man because he's energetic and boyish and sweet and relatable and funny and charming and self-deprecating and the neighborhood level superhero--which is exactly what Tom Holland is.  He is perfect for the character, he is infinitely more charismatic and entertaining and likable than the previous actors cast in the role, and his movies are so much better than the previous entries.  You know who was a lame ass Spider-Man?  ****boy skater douche Andrew Garfield.  Peter Parker is NEVER supposed to be cool, and Garfield thinks he is.  Candy assed aughtsy emo Tobey Maguire Spider-Man was lame too.

And yeah, the MCU Spider-Man films have better supporting casts, villains, sidekicks, bit parts and all.  Because they are much better movies.  Better stories, better acting, better writing.  And they are better even while being constrained within the context of a much larger franchise and performing storytelling service for it.  A franchise where Holland routinely shares the screen with most of the best leading men in Hollywood and provides some of the most memorable sequences.  He absolutely has range too, his character provides the heart for infinity war, his action scenes are thrilling, and his scenes with Michael Keaton are chilling and utterly compelling.  I can remember Holland's Spider-Man desperately trying to keep a huge ferry together or save his friends from danger at the Washington monument or fighting an elemental monster in Venice.  You know what I can't remember?  A single interesting action set piece from any of the Sony Spider-Man movies.

Fight me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is utterly insane. The train scene from Spider-Man 2 is iconic and easily the most famous scene in any Spider-Man movie. The bridge scene from

Spider-Man 1 is also more memorable than any scene from Holland’s movies.  

the ferry scene? The scene where Spider-Man badly screwed up, nearly killed 300 people, was saved by iron man, and got his suit taken away as punishment  like a little kid? Yeah, great scene for the character. 

the time square fight with electro from ASM2 is also better than any Holland set piece but that’s because he’s actually comic book Spider-Man there and that scene is the best interpretation of comic Spider-Man in any movie. He actually uses his abilities there rather than just asking his tony Stark made suit and AI what to do 

A little disappointed you didn't just use this gif in response to his post. 

spiderman laughing gif.gif

• Haha 1

With the Charlie Cox news...one has to hope...

Spoiler

...that the references to Wilson Fisk ("the uncle" and "works for the big guy") that Vincent D'Onfrio is going to reprise his role as Kingpin.

And they better, better, BETTER use Nats/Skins fan and Bethesda's own, Jon Bernthal for the Punisher.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Vincent D'Onfrio. Kingpin. Wilson **** Fisk.

OMFG. OMFG. Multiple Nerdgasm.

I called one part but not the OMFG part. I was going crazy then had to explain it to the fam. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JCB said:

Yeah, this might be the one I have to see in theaters. Still haven't gone since the pandemic started, but - quoting something I read elsewhere - "the internet is on a mission to spoil every second of this movie."

man I was in a wheel of time thread on Reddit yesterday and somebody spoiled something from this movie. So stupid

be safe out there 

7 hours ago, JCB said:

Yeah, this might be the one I have to see in theaters. Still haven't gone since the pandemic started, but - quoting something I read elsewhere - "the internet is on a mission to spoil every second of this movie."

Dude thumbnails and titles all over YouTube spoiling stuff since Tuesday.  You don't even have to click the video.  Some people just want to watch the world burn.  I know to avoid the comment sections of videos but hadn't seen spoiler attacks like this.  

I went with a friend today and saw it.  More emotional then I thought it would be.  Overall thought it was very good.  A lot of stuff I thought would happen did and there were also some surprises.  Unfortunately one major one was spoiled for me.

I’ve been probably the most critical of the Holland Spider-Man than anyone here. hated him honestly as Spider-Man and the way he was written. 

just got home and I have to say….they ****ing did it. They pulled it off. they finally made him Spider-Man. This movie is an absolute triumph, a home run for what they set out to do and actually accomplished. It exceeded all my expectations. By the time the movie ends, we are left with a true Spider-Man, ready to defend New York and I am now extremely excited about Holland’s next trilogy and future in the mcu. 

Spoiler

I really can’t believe they killed Aunt May. I mean they didn’t kill her like from collateral damage or something, Goblin actually straight up murders her. I am stunned they had the stones to even try it but then to pull it off so successfully and to use her death to propel Peter to a level of maturity and responsibility (finally used the speech in a fantastic way) that his character desperately needed, was just something I did not expect. it was perfect. 

i don’t even know what to say. Andrew Garfield and Tobey were awesome together and didn’t overshadow Holland’s Peter which I was worried they would do if they were in the movie. They had good reason for being there and served a larger purpose helping MCU Peter become who he needed to be. They weren’t there to bail him out and save his ass. 

this movie resolved so many of my complaints with Holland’s Spider-Man. His stark tech, his support group of avengers babysitting him, his inability to do anything on his own, his outright refusal to ever take responsibility for his powers and become the Spider-Man he needed to be. Yet in a 2.5 hour master stroke of storytelling, Peter is now: living alone in NYC, lost access to every avenger and piece of tech he had, is entirely financially responsible for himself, has to make his own suits again (and what a suit that classic one is, bright and shiny similar to the MkIV suit), and has made multiple hard decisions for the betterment of others while personally sacrificing. He gave up MJ not once, but twice, because it was the right thing to do. He will get MJ back, there is no concern with that from me, he’s earned it by doing the responsible thing without hesitation instead of crying about how much it would suck for him. 

the villains were excellent. Willer Dafoe damn near stole the entire movie with his terrifying split personality evil Goblin. No wonder he was marketed as a bit if an afterthought, they kept the best out of the marketing. He just owned every scene he was in. Jamie Foxx was also great and very funny. It wasn’t over crowded, and everyone got some shine, Lizard least of all but that’s ok. He still had his moments. 

And the post credits scene, wow, I never wanted Tom Hardy‘s Venom in the MCu. It simply doesn’t work. They figured out how to fix that and it’s going to be incredible with the Venom we are going to get. 

just outstanding all the way around. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Saw the movie last night.  9 out of 10. Spiderman centric movie with a Endgame type feel. 

Only complaint is there are a couple of characters with inexplicable motives. And one particular, Far From Home's J Jonah Jamison, was included with stuff to do, but was given no writing that made his earlier version from the McGuire films so hilarious.  

51 minutes ago, KevinthePRF said:

Saw the movie last night.  9 out of 10. Spiderman centric movie with a Endgame type feel. 

Only complaint is there are a couple of characters with inexplicable motives. And one particular, Far From Home's J Jonah Jamison, was included with stuff to do, but was given no writing that made his earlier version from the McGuire films so hilarious.  

Spoiler

They just had too much going on in this one. This was more just an introduction to his Jameson character as the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones type of guy. The less chaotic next movies will have a bigger role for him imo, especially where we leave this one with Peter dirt poor and entirely alone, he will likely go to him for work in some way as he gets into more of the traditional Peter role. 

who did you think had inexplicable motives?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Spoiler

Sandman’s motives didn’t make any sense. He was over the place. You would think he super grateful to tobey considering how he let him go. Plus all he wanted to do was go home. Whatever  

I think everyone saw GG doing what he did but it was done in such a fun way that it isn’t  an issue  also him whipping Tom Holland ass was so brutal and great to watch.

I liked how Andrew Garfield Spider-Man continued to be an asshole. Kept his essence consistent.