Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I’m pretty sure the zombies is based off a comic of there’s were there was a zombies outbreak. It was entertaining. It’s been a long time since I’ve read that comic. 

It was a comic and a great one. 

You talk about a good Spiderman. Zombie Spiderman was the best one imo 

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

I enjoyed the first 3 shows, but there were so many holes in the ending of the last one that it was annoying. All of a sudden zombie Thanos was in Wakanda and had a bunch of infinity stones?

Ah man, just take it for what it is....a crazy offshoot from what you'd normally get from the MCU...I thought it was great. Loved the Black Panther/Star Lord one too, good guy Thanos, What?!  Dr. Strange was sad but still good.  Overall, I've really enjoyed the series..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Ah man, just take it for what it is....a crazy offshoot from what you'd normally get from the MCU...I thought it was great. Loved the Black Panther/Star Lord one too, good guy Thanos, What?!  Dr. Strange was sad but still good.  Overall, I've really enjoyed the series..

I am taking it for what it is. I thought the direction of it was great in the first three. i just thought the last one was particularly bad. Within 5 seconds of learning what Vision is doing they convince him it's wrong and he sacrifices himself but black panther couldn't get through to him. Then zombie Thanos with all the other infinity stones already wasn't clever at all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I am taking it for what it is. I thought the direction of it was great in the first three. i just thought the last one was particularly bad. Within 5 seconds of learning what Vision is doing they convince him it's wrong and he sacrifices himself but black panther couldn't get through to him. Then zombie Thanos with all the other infinity stones already wasn't clever at all. 

To each their own I guess.  I'm not one to quibble too much about plot points from comic book properties based on the idea of super heroes with powers and multiversal timelines. Seems a little missing the point on this form of entertainment, but I get it that many people do. 

8 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

To each their own I guess.  I'm not one to quibble too much about plot points from comic book properties based on the idea of super heroes with powers and multiversal timelines. Seems a little missing the point on this form of entertainment, but I get it that many people do. 

So if people don't agree with what you find enjoyable about something, they are missing the point of that form of entertainment? The point to a lot of people is to have good quality storytelling regardless of whether it's comic books or any other genre. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

So if people don't agree with what you find enjoyable about something, they are missing the point of that form of entertainment? The point to a lot of people is to have good quality storytelling regardless of whether it's comic books or any other genre. 

By all means Do you my man.. didn't mean it in any mean spirited or my ways better way...more just like, its all fantastical, lighten up. Anyhow, have a great night..

I enjoyed this one (not my favorite though), but the whole time I was like uh, I better warn my youngest before he watches.  

It’s gotta be hard to craft a short stand-alone show and give it the weight it deserves/needs.  I think they had a bit too much going on in this one and it suffered a bit.

Spoiler

The lack of much emotion regarding all of the killing, knowing they had a chance of healing everyone - Bucky killing Cap for example.  On the flip side, I guess they’re leaving stuff to the imagination?

I thought the Dr Strange episode was amazing, and maybe the only one that felt truly excellent.  The Zombie episode was fun but really stupid.  The part about them remorselessly killing their friends when they knew they could cure them did feel super incongruous with the ethos of the MCU.  It made it impossible to ignore that I was watching just another dumbass zombie horror adaptation, which lessened the fun.

One of the rules of a "what if?" story line that they have been crapping on is you are only supposed to change one key element from the canon story line to create the divergent path.  They've been breaking that rule in pretty much every episode by including multiple changes and it does break the spell a little bit.  That's not great storytelling.  The other thing is this show doesn't know who it's audience is.  If you're going to be unserious and breezey in the caliber of storytelling and load your show up with plot holes, then you've made something for casuals and kids.  But then they also made a series that insists on you being familiar with their canon for the central premise to work.  And then they also made it too dark and violent to be suitable for kids.

This has been a fun diversion in the middle of the release of bigger and better properties, which is fine.  But they could have made this better and had it be more impactful.  

• Like 2

Shang Chi was pretty awesome. 

Spoiler

I did prefer the first half tho where it was more grounded in martial arts (aside from the 10 rings weapon) rather than the more fantastical alternate realm magic beasts second half. 

though I assume that’s related to Asian myths? Seems like it did similar to what BP did for African culture and I loved that. 

Shang Chi is a really cool character and I’m excited to have him part of the story and team moving forward. 

so the post credits scene, what happened to professor Hulk after endgame? Why is he back to Banner? I assume this will be addressed in the she-hulk series and may be a way to phase Banner/Ruffalo out of the main storyline :(

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

This has been a fun diversion in the middle of the release of bigger and better properties, which is fine.  But they could have made this better and had it be more impactful.  

The zombie episode sums up this series:  dumb, stupid fun. Although each episode has had one divergent event, even if they each had a stretch to make the connection. They also end episodes on "oh ****" downers too, which makes things a lot more fu..

Two things stand out, though, which makes me wonder....

Spoiler

1. The squid creature has appeared twice: Captain Carter and the Dr. Strange dick punch episodes.

2. Hank Pym has caused the downfall of the Avengers and humanity in general

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Shang Chi was pretty awesome. 

Reveal hidden contents

I did prefer the first half tho where it was more grounded in martial arts (aside from the 10 rings weapon) rather than the more fantastical alternate realm magic beasts second half. 

though I assume that’s related to Asian myths? Seems like it did similar to what BP did for African culture and I loved that. 

Shang Chi is a really cool character and I’m excited to have him part of the story and team moving forward. 

so the post credits scene, what happened to professor Hulk after endgame? Why is he back to Banner? I assume this will be addressed in the she-hulk series and may be a way to phase Banner/Ruffalo out of the main storyline :(

Yeah it was! Awkwafina was fantastic...

• Like 1

Criticism from black panther was that they all had South African accents which doesn’t make sense. I wonder if this applies to this movie. Like i believe his dad is a famous Hong Kong actor. 

I read a decent amount of manga and recognized some of the mythological creatures from Shang Chi which was kinda cool. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Criticism from black panther was that they all had South African accents which doesn’t make sense. I wonder if this applies to this movie. Like i believe his dad is a famous Hong Kong actor. 

I read a decent amount of manga and recognized some of the mythological creatures from Shang Chi which was kinda cool. 

I don't understand that criticism.  Wakanda is usually depicted as being in a Bantu region and it makes sense that they would all have the same accent in an isolated country.  There were visual implements of pan-African culture in the movie, but Wakanda is not truly a pan-African country.  Those were for establishing a cool fantasy aesthetic for the movie, not for seriously suggesting that Wakanda draws it's population from everywhere on the continent.

I think I like these miniseries even better than the movies.  It's hard to top the magic of a great movie, especially on the big screen.  But I think I've enjoyed the experience of the weekly miniseries more because of the pacing and depth and all of the twists/cliffhangers they can implement, and the anticipation of being able to come back for more for a month or two.

This is probably how it felt for 1850s audiences who would have looked forward to the next serial Dickens novel chapter drop.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think I like these miniseries even better than the movies.  It's hard to top the magic of a great movie, especially on the big screen.  But I think I've enjoyed the experience of the weekly miniseries more because of the pacing and depth and all of the twists/cliffhangers they can implement, and the anticipation of being able to come back for more for a month or two.

This is probably how it felt for 1850s audiences who would have looked forward to the next serial Dickens novel chapter drop.

I love them using these to develop the characters since more and more the movies will be packed with multiple hero’s and won’t have as much time to dive into each character. We can engage with them and connect with them thru the series to recreate the connections we had with characters in movies from phase 1- infinity war 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hersh said:

Can’t wait to hear y’all try to tell me that was a good episode. At the end of the episode my son, who pretty much loves everything DC and Marvel, says “well that was terrible.”

I'll watch this weeks tonight with my daughter, but they've been hit and miss. The T'Challa as Star Lord was meh. The Captain Carter was cool, the Dr. Strange was fantastic. The Zombie one was stupid fun (the Zombie Wanda was the coolest part of that episode). 

• 3 weeks later...