Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

I honestly had the fear that it was going to be cheesy/corny and at best average.  I thought they might try to make it too much of a comedy.  I was wrong.  It's got a perfect amount of humor mixed in with just enough gangster/criminal stuff and his personal struggles.

I hope that in the end we are blessed with some of what was going on with him, during the BB era.  Like, get to see from his perspective (what he was doing, working on, etc.) when it starts to overlap in that period in his life.

Maybe even a cameo of Jesse or Walt.  

Yeah, I think it's nice because it's definitely lighter than BB (granted we are only 3 hours in). I agree...seeing how it marries up with the events from Walt's and Jesse's perspective would be very cool. 

BCS is 3 for 3 with me.

Love everything about the show so far. I remember listening to one of the audio commentaries on a BB episode and Giligan saying he really had to convince Odenkirk that he could pull off the dramatic parts of acting just fine. Odenkirk is now showing carrying a show, handling both styles of acting.

It was so sad when that **** just wouldn't take him as her lawyer. He was trying so hard to be a legit lawyer, but she turned him onto the path to become Saul.

Perception is usually reality, unfortunately.

My favorite part of the episode was Jimmy owning Nacho after Nacho said, "there will be consequences." Started talking about how stupid and sloppy he was. His expression changed real quick. Ownage.

Only complaint i have is why does this need to be on at 10? Pretty damn late to stay up to watch a show on Monday night. Wish they would move it to 9

If you have Verizon FiOS you can watch all the episodes in HD on demand at your leisure.  At least right now you can. 

IMO they've tuned his craziness just right.  Remember this is - what? - ten years previous?  ...

I believe the first episode is six years prior to when Saul showed up on Breaking Bad. 

- I like seeing the very early seeds of the relationship between Jimmy/Saul and Mike... Mike at first sees Jimmy as a putz, but then there's gruff acknowledgement that Jimmy was right about the family not being kidnapped.

- I liked the moment in the tailor's shop when Jimmy, idling browsing while waiting for the tailor, picks up the bright orange Saul Goodman-style shirt. I'm sure we saw him in that shirt on Breaking Bad.

- I like the recurring scene of Jimmy in his office, wiggling his fingers above the answering machine in a silent prayer, then pushing the button to hear "you have...zero messages." Then, after the billboard stunt...

This past episode was the first one that I thought was pretty dull, even though the last few minutes were enticing.  It told a lot of backstory, finally got to fully understand what was up with Jimmy's brother, learned more about Mike.  Jimmy going to those different houses and trying to win their business only to find they were awful potential clients was hilarious, though.  Shows that he's still got a long way to go.  

Even Breaking Bad had episodes to move the story along and weren't all that great, I still think Better Call Saul is still required watching for me.  

This past episode was the first one that I thought was pretty dull, even though the last few minutes were enticing.  It told a lot of backstory, finally got to fully understand what was up with Jimmy's brother, learned more about Mike.  Jimmy going to those different houses and trying to win their business only to find they were awful potential clients was hilarious, though.  Shows that he's still got a long way to go.  

Even Breaking Bad had episodes to move the story along and weren't all that great, I still think Better Call Saul is still required watching for me.  

Yeah, sometimes they have to move the story along without a lot of fireworks.  But the quieter times lets you really watch Odenkirk's acting chops, which I think are surprisingly good.

I liked how he studied Matlock to prepare himself to troll for elderly clients, then handed out jello at the rest home with his picture and ad at the bottom of the cup.  Also, the colors in that scene looked a whole lot like the future Saul Goodman's wardrobe.

A couple of intriguing things for the near future.  Like you said, one is the promise of more info on Mike's back story, which came literally knocking on his door at the end of the episode.

I wonder how the cops' illegal entry into Chuck's house will be a plot point for the near future.  Jimmy, for all his faults, is very protective of his big brother.  I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on the Albuquerque P.D. for breaking into Chuck's house,  starting him on the path to animosity toward local law enforcement and making it easier for him morally to take on the underworld clients we know he represents in the future.

I wonder how the cops' illegal entry into Chuck's house will be a plot point for the near future.  Jimmy, for all his faults, is very protective of his big brother.  I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on the Albuquerque P.D. for breaking into Chuck's house,  starting him on the path to animosity toward local law enforcement and making it easier for him morally to take on the underworld clients we know he represents in the future.

That is some serious insight right there.  Heck, the ball was set in motion a couple weeks back when Jimmie didn't get his edible basket as an apology...

Agreed, that is really good insight.  IIRC, he's had a few signs of showing animosity towards the law already, but this really could add fuel to the fire.  I think Mike's animosity and defiance to the law will help Jimmy out, too.  

Definitely curious to see what happens to Chuck and how it influences the future, I think Dan T is on to something.  We all know Mike ends up as an accomplice, it's just going to be interesting to see how he gets there.  I don't think Chuck is ever mentioned during Breaking Bad so it's going to be equally interesting to see what happens and how it happens.

I expected it to be good, I didn't expect it to be this good.  Gilligan really has owned this whole BB/BCS world.  

I'm not kidding you, at the exact moment in the last episode where they make it clear they're ready to start exploring MIke's character, my wife said "This is moving pretty slowly"

And the end I just looked at her and laughed.

Yeah, when Saul pulled away from paying and they stayed with Mike, you subconsciously realize something is different and the anticipation just builds.  They've been building up to that the entire season.  What incredible directing (we're so used to following Saul at that point)

Archived