Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

I liked the small touch they had at the bar in Philly with the bartender holding a bottle of Yeungling.

That's what the two cops, Hoffman and Fenske, were drinking, too.

Jonathan Banks earned himself an Emmy nomination last night.  Holy crap. Mike's confessional tale to his daughter-in-law of Matty's death and his anguish at feeling responsible for it was riveting television. 

That's what the two cops, Hoffman and Fenske, were drinking, too.

Jonathan Banks earned himself an Emmy nomination last night.  Holy crap. Mike's confessional tale to his daughter-in-law of Matty's death and his anguish at feeling responsible for it was riveting television. 

Yep, that was an amazing scene. He is extremely talented. 

Gives me chills thinking about his motivation from BB--all Mike cared about was making sure his granddaughter was taken care of.  Now we know why--more than grandfatherly love, he feels responsible.

So much of what made Mike who he was in Breaking Bad was revealed last night.  Watching BB we knew there was some dark back story to Mr. Ehrmantraut. And last night they laid it out for us, in all its gut wrenching detail. 

The foundation in the relationship between Mike & Saul is being laid out so well too.  We know they can work together [it started with a common enemy--bad cops].  But we also know that Mike can threaten to break Saul's legs with "dead eyes" [it started with parking stickers].  Brilliantly done.

This show is managing to not only be a compelling show in its own right, but also add so much texture to our cherished memories of BB.

I read somewhere along the way that Vince Gilligan is only involved for the first season.  I desperately hope the show is able to continue its excellence if that is true.

I never watch all of breaking bad, saw a few episodes & said "this is one you have to watch fron the start" but haven't gotten around to it.

I like Better Call Saul & think I'll wait to watch BB until this wraps up. I didn't like the last episode about Mike since I don't really know the character I guess I didn't care that much, just give me more of Saul being Saul!

That long change scene from Jimmy to Mike at the toll both reminded me of switching characters in Grand Theft Auto 5.

I read somewhere along the way that Vince Gilligan is only involved for the first season.  I desperately hope the show is able to continue its excellence if that is true.

His CBS show isn't getting the ratings to justify a 2nd season, maybe that frees him up to continue on Saul.

This show wouldn't work if it were just a BB knockoff. Didn't take them long at all, but they have clearly marked out their own space. I find it hard to come up with things to criticize about the show.

I didn't like the last episode about Mike since I don't really know the character I guess I didn't care that much, just give me more of Saul being Saul!

More reason to stop watching BCS, keep them stored on DVR and start BB on Netflix and watch it through.  While BCS is more of the back story of Saul and Mike, and others from BB, I think it would still be better watched after watching BB first.

I never watch all of breaking bad, saw a few episodes & said "this is one you have to watch fron the start" but haven't gotten around to it.

I like Better Call Saul & think I'll wait to watch BB until this wraps up. I didn't like the last episode about Mike since I don't really know the character I guess I didn't care that much, just give me more of Saul being Saul!

That long change scene from Jimmy to Mike at the toll both reminded me of switching characters in Grand Theft Auto 5.

More reason to stop watching BCS, keep them stored on DVR and start BB on Netflix and watch it through.  While BCS is more of the back story of Saul and Mike, and others from BB, I think it would still be better watched after watching BB first.

I agree with Taze...You'd definitely fare better by watching Breaking Bad first. You're seeing sides and emotions in these characters that weren't fully fleshed out in BB. It's like opening a gift after someone tells you what's inside the box.

Next spin-off - "Those Wacky Kettlemans." Jimmy outmaneuvering Betsy Kettleman was great fun, including the scheme engineered by Mike to get the money back.  She is a delightfully deranged character.  I wonder if she and hubby figure into future episodes.  I hope so.  I'd like to see her darker side after it all comes crashing down.

Random nuggets from last night:

- The young Philly cop calls Jimmy "you ambulance chasing scum."  And Mike declaring later in the scene "I like him."

- Jimmy calling bingo... "B-6. Just like the vitamin.  Keep that 'ol GI tract moving!"

- The giant "BINGO" sign flashing in the shot as he takes the call from the Kettlemans, thinking he has them back as clients.

- Jimmy's keeping it real convo with Betsy Kettleman in the diner and her utter refusal to accept any other reality. 

- The apple cores lined up on the Kettlemans' back wall shows us how long and patiently Mike has to wait for his trap to be sprung.

- Poor Jimmy outfoxes the Kettlemans in order to help out Kim, thus losing out on 1. any chance of getting her as a partner,  2. the 30 thousand bucks, and 3.  the down payment on the spiffy new offices.

**** Mrs. Kettleman, what a **** she is.  I'm not sure who that actress is but she does a great job of making me hate her.  We're just over a half season in and she's approaching Skyler White levels of hatred to me.  I know she's not going to be a major player in the series like Skyler was, but she elicits that same reaction.  I really hope she gets what's coming to her.  

I also loved the skinny 70's microphone, it was some Bob Barker stuff that made me laugh.  

Great seeing Mike and Jimmy working so well together early on, it explains so, so much.  

Solid episode last night.  Really rooting for Jimmy here, I hope he comes up big with this case and the twist with his brother at the end was crazy.  While he's definitely out for glory, you can also tell he cares about his clients.  

I wasn't exactly sure what happened at the end of the episode last night. Was Chuck faking this whole time?

I wasn't exactly sure what happened at the end of the episode last night. Was Chuck faking this whole time?

I thought he just was so excited he forgot about his "condition" for a second. I figured after the cut he collapsed or runs back in the house.

I thought he just was so excited he forgot about his "condition" for a second. I figured after the cut he collapsed or runs back in the house.

This is my take on it, too.  The previews for next week show him sitting outside, looks like this might have all been in his head the entire time.  

Well it's clearly in his head. Remember the hospital scene when the Doctor secretly turned some electronic device on while talking to him?

I'm excited to see Mike in his "new job". Honestly they could even do a Mike spinoff and it'd probably be pretty awesome.

It was clearly in his head. He was so focused on working again that he completely lost sight of that. Good for him. Hope he moves on as you can see he is a very talented lawyer. 

This show is gold. The writing is top notch and I love the little bits of humor they inject both into this and BB. The call from the lawyer in the middle of the dumpster diving is an example. 

love every aspect of show ... 

that being said, was a little turned off by the remote control car/money  mike scene.  Just seemed so unbelievable. but, that' s nit picky, I know. 

Was Chuck surprised or scared at the end of the last episode? 

Archived