Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

I have a theory about how next week will play out.

Since they used Chuck's code at HHM to print off the documents, that somehow opens the door for HHM to get involved.

One aspect of the flashback (Jimmy getting his law degree) is the family dynamic at play. Chuck is the smart one, Jimmy is the screw up. When Jimmy upsets that balance, Chuck is threatened, which manifests itself when Chuck doesn't help him get a job with the firm.

Since he's starting to get over whatever caused his condition, Chuck will try to reestablish the old pattern. End result, Chuck manipulates things so that HHM takes over the case, Jimmy gets screwed over by his brother. Saul is born.

I also thought for a minute that Chuck was going to get whacked, 20 million is enough to make people do desperate things.

I kept my expectations low for this show, but there was no need. It has been spectacular.

Since they used Chuck's code at HHM to print off the documents, that somehow opens the door for HHM to get involved.

One aspect of the flashback (Jimmy getting his law degree) is the family dynamic at play. Chuck is the smart one, Jimmy is the screw up. When Jimmy upsets that balance, Chuck is threatened, which manifests itself when Chuck doesn't help him get a job with the firm.

Since he's starting to get over whatever caused his condition, Chuck will try to reestablish the old pattern. End result, Chuck manipulates things so that HHM takes over the case, Jimmy gets screwed over by his brother. Saul is born.

I also thought for a minute that Chuck was going to get whacked, 20 million is enough to make people do desperate things.

I kept my expectations low for this show, but there was no need. It has been spectacular.

That's a great theory...I like it!

I think you're right that Jimmy using the HHM code is going to come back to haunt him. My guess is that it's more Howard Hamlin who takes the case over. Chuck - being always lawyerly logical Chuck - goes along. Either way, Jimmy gets screwed.

___

It kind of snuck up on me that there are only two episodes left. I wonder what's in store to leave us hanging until season 2.

I fear a tragic ending for big brother Chuck.

We'll it looks like Chuck is dead... to Jimmy anyway. Man, what a punch to the gut from big brother. Such a condescending prick, and after all Jimmy did for him. **** him and his neurotic fake illness.

Also, how cool was Mike handling douchebag Henchman #2? And then later, the perfectly researched reason why he knew he wouldn't need a gun.

Him and Jimmy are going to be a fun partnership to watch.

Finally caught up and watched last 3 episodes tonight.

This show is a home run by AMC. I had huge doubts and the whole idea of a Saul led show seemed weird, but it is fantastic.

This joins TWD and GOT as must watch current series.

Also - **** Chuck.

Also, how cool was Mike handling douchebag Henchman #2? And then later, the perfectly researched reason why he knew he wouldn't need a gun.

That was the guy who does the voice for Trevor in GTA V. Took me a while to place his voice, but I knew I recognized it from somewhere.

Another bitter touch - Kim coming to the nail salon/Jimmy's office at the end to tell him to "take the deal."  That sounded so familiar... the same thing Jimmy said to the Kettlemans.  He knew it was a bitter pill for them to swallow, and now he has to decide whether to take his own bitter pill. 

Did Kim do that on her own?  Or did Howard Hamlin tell her, after he called her back into his office, to persuade Jimmy to take the deal? Did he tell her then that it was Chuck, not him, that froze Jimmy out?  What was said in his office after the door closed behind her?

And Howard  is an interesting character.  Seen through Jimmy's eyes, he's a real hard ass and a slimy guy. But is he?  He does Chuck a huge, dirty favor by agreeing to take the blame for freezing Jimmy out of the deal.  And it might have worked, if Chuck didn't **** it up by leaving Jimmy's cell phone on after making that 2 am call.  

Another thing.  Jimmy got frozen out of the deal, just like he got frozen out of joining HHM back when he earned his law degree.  He assumed it was Howard who said no. But - holy **** - was it Chuck who screwed him over back then too?

Bob Odenkirk might **** around and win an Emmy, he is too good in that role.

I'll say this. When Chuck revealed what a schmuck he is, I felt Jimmy's pain - literally - like a punch to my gut.  Some of that was due to the writers' build up to that scene and the plot twist of Chuck's betrayal that seems not so illogical in retrospect.  But a lot of it was seeing the pain on Bob Odenkirk's face - hell in his whole body language - as the betrayal is revealed and Chuck unleashes his torrent of condescending venom. 

Both guys - comedians by trade- brilliantly executed one of the better dramatic scenes you'll see on TV in a long time.

I think we just witnessed the birth of Saul Goodman.  Jimmy's big brother, whom he idolized in many ways and held up as the epitome of what an attorney could be, has told him you'll never be one of us.  After all of your effort and toil to go legit as a lawyer with a moral backbone, you'll always be slippin' Jimmy. That killed Jimmy, and spawned Saul.

Another thing.  Jimmy got frozen out of the deal, just like he got frozen out of joining HHM back when he earned his law degree.  He assumed it was Howard who said no. But - holy **** - was it Chuck who screwed him over back then too?

I think it was.  When Jimmy got his law degree and told Chuck he wanted to be an attorney at the firm, Chuck said something like "I'll talk to Howard."  He talked to Howard alright.

Seems like Howard has been doing his partner a solid by freezing out Jimmy all these years and taking the rap.  Puts new perspective on him as a character.  Heck, go back to when we first met him, "What can I do for you,m Jimmy?"  Doesn't strike me as genuine disdain, more of an amused "let's see where this one goes."

Did Kim do that on her own?  Or did Howard Hamlin tell her, after he called her back into his office, to persuade Jimmy to take the deal? Did he tell her then that it was Chuck, not him, that froze Jimmy out?  What was said in his office after the door closed behind her?

I think Howard told her it was Chuck. She was practically in tears. She knew. She knew Jimmy had been betrayed and how it was going to crush him because he loved and looked up to Chuck so much.

By the way, Switchgear pretty much nailed it with this prediction.

Yeah Switchgear pretty much nailed it.

Looks like we see Jimmy return to Chicago next week, reuniting with his con man partner. Perhaps that's where we see Saul born once again?

Also, since we've seen Mike and Tuco, I wonder if Gus Fring makes an appearance next season? Show how Mike ended up working for him?

I think it was.  When Jimmy got his law degree and told Chuck he wanted to be an attorney at the firm, Chuck said something like "I'll talk to Howard."  He talked to Howard alright.

Seems like Howard has been doing his partner a solid by freezing out Jimmy all these years and taking the rap.  Puts new perspective on him as a character.  Heck, go back to when we first met him, "What can I do for you,m Jimmy?"  Doesn't strike me as genuine disdain, more of an amused "let's see where this one goes."

Good points, all.  I wonder if we'll see Jimmy view Howard in a different light once he realizes his hatred of him as been misplaced.

I think Howard told her it was Chuck. She was practically in tears. She knew. She knew Jimmy had been betrayed and how it was going to crush him because he loved and looked up to Chuck so much.

I think you're right. 

I wonder too about the Jimmy's relationship with Kim moving forward. She is Jimmy's one true friend that we know about. And there seems to be some shared unspoken past between them that has formed their bond of friendship.   But how will his transformation into Saul affect their relationship?

Possible spoiler for non-Breaking Bad watchers (highlight text below to reveal):

Obviously, a search of the cast list from Breaking Bad isn't promising for their future, which is one restraint on plot direction that any show producers have when creating a prequel. Kim had no presence in Saul's Breaking Bad life, so to be true to the original, she has to leave his world at some point, right?

Possible spoiler for non-Breaking Bad watchers (highlight text below to reveal):

Agree on the "spoiler" - clearly something happens to that relationship.

One thing, I feel like we should be able to openly talk about Breaking Bad in this thread without it being a spoiler. I mean, the show is over and who the hell is randomly watching this and saving Breaking Bad for later? 

I feel like we need a ruling from a mod on that.  :lol:

A couple bits of great dialogue:

Douchebag Henchman: "What are you packing?"

Mike: "A pimento sandwich. Pimento, its a cheese. They call it the caviar of the south."

And then Chuck's line that, if it wasn't uttered at such a brutally gut-wrenching time, would have been a hell of a lot funnier:

"Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun."

This show is just so well done.  Lots of little things.  Like the extreme tone in Howard's voice to Kim in the office before kicking her out, boy is our hatred for him at a pinnacle.  And then, "Wait."  And soon after we find out it wasn't Howard at all.  Some top-notch drama being done here.

Props to Dan worrying about BB spoilers.  I'd vote for the thread to be able to talk BB freely, or it really makes it tough to discuss the show going forward.  Maybe the OP can add "Warning Breaking Bad Spoilers" in the title?

Agree on the "spoiler" - clearly something happens to that relationship.

One thing, I feel like we should be able to openly talk about Breaking Bad in this thread without it being a spoiler. I mean, the show is over and who the hell is randomly watching this and saving Breaking Bad for later? 

I feel like we need a ruling from a mod on that.  :lol:

Yeah, that's probably true. But it's not so much not spoiling Breaking Bad for those who have yet to watch it so much as Breaking Bad watchers having knowledge of the future that can fuel speculation about the current show. Again, a quirk of prequels that the writers and show runners have to keep in mind.

It's one of the interesting things about this show. I think that people who haven't watched Breaking Bad can still appreciate Better Call Saul on its own merits, but it's definitely a richer, much more rewarding show for Breaking Bad vets. And the writers and show runners have to keep both audiences in mind.

Props to Dan worrying about BB spoilers. I'd vote for the thread to be able to talk BB freely, or it really makes it tough to discuss the show going forward. Maybe the OP can add "Warning Breaking Bad Spoilers" in the title?

I'm wondering how Switchgear used code to do the hidden spoiler in his post. It didn't work for me.

Archived