Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

Every time his brother shows up, he acts out. He's going to be his own demise, but only because his brother is an asshole and he cannot confront his brother.

His brother probably realizes it and it's why he does what he does, making him an even bigger asshole.

One minor sour note for the show's authenticity. Serious baseball card collectors are up in arms. 

Wormwald talks about how much care he takes in his card collection, using "toploaders" to protect them (the valuable ones, at least).  Yet when Nacho returns the collection and we finally see them, the cards are all stuck together in boxes, not protected by sleeves. 

BTW, a rookie Topps Mickey Mantle card in good condition can fetch up to $300,000, with which you could start of fleet of school buses for 6 year old pimps.

One minor sour note for the show's authenticity. Serious baseball card collectors are up in arms. 

Wormwald talks about how much care he takes in his card collection, using "toploaders" to protect them (the valuable ones, at least).  Yet when Nacho returns the collection and we finally see them, the cards are all stuck together in boxes, not protected by sleeves. 

BTW, a rookie Topps Mickey Mantle card in good condition can fetch up to $300,000, with which you could start of fleet of school buses for 6 year old pimps.

I used to be huge into baseball card collecting.  And when I saw him flipping through the boxes and rattling off the players names, I thought the same thing.  Not enough to be up in arms about it and get pissed off, but no one would keep a Mantle or expensive Jeter card in one of those.  

I can't believe the '52 Topps Mantle is up to 300k now.  Amazing.  

I used to be huge into baseball card collecting.  And when I saw him flipping through the boxes and rattling off the players names, I thought the same thing.  Not enough to be up in arms about it and get pissed off, but no one would keep a Mantle or expensive Jeter card in one of those.  

I can't believe the '52 Topps Mantle is up to 300k now.  Amazing.  

Rare 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Rookie Card Sells for Record $525,000

December 11, 2015

DALLAS -- A rare Topps 1952 Mickey Mantle rookie card has sold at auction for more than $500,000.

Dallas-based Heritage Auctions said the pristine card sold for $525,800 Thursday night to a collector who wanted to remain anonymous.

A Heritage statement said the price set a record for a Mantle rookie card. A near-mint card sold for $486,100 in early November, setting the record at the time for price paid at auction for a card of Mantle, the Hall of Fame slugger who played 18 seasons for the New York Yankees, and the most paid for a card sold on eBay.

The '52 Mantle rookie card has long been the most valuable postwar baseball card, with comparable examples selling for $386,000 to $486,000 over the past 12 months.  The Mantle card was part of a 407-card set Topps distributed in 1952.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14341441/rare-1952-topps-mickey-mantle-rookie-card-sells-auction-record-525000

Question for anyone who might have an answer. The pinkie ring with the red string that Saul is wearing now, does it mean anything? Is it something from BB that I forgot? Or is this one of those things referenced a few times and we will find out the meaning much later in the season?

Question for anyone who might have an answer. The pinkie ring with the red string that Saul is wearing now, does it mean anything? Is it something from BB that I forgot? Or is this one of those things referenced a few times and we will find out the meaning much later in the season?

The pinky ring belonged to his old grifting partner Marco from back in Cicero.  At the end of season 1 Jimmy goes back there for a visit, they reunite, and do a fake Rolex con on some guy for old times sake, but during the con Marco dies from a heart attack.  Jimmy inherits the pinky ring from his old pal, and in the meantime it seems it's become a talisman reminding him of his "Slipping Jimmy" days.

So the 'Amarillo' episode was a set-up for cliffhangers.

1. Yeesh Jimmy's not going to last long at Davis and Main, between Chuck undermining him at every chance and his own impulsive tendencies.  The commercial worked, but I can't wait for next morning's staff meeting when we find out whether it's better to ask for forgiveness later than permission first.   

2. And who does Nacho want gone?  It couldn't be Tuco, could it?  Or baseball card guy?

___

A couple random favorite parts:

- Unctuous Chuck popping Jimmy's balloon at the meeting.  He's sort of right, but what a loathsome sibling to bear.

-Jimmy's face watching the previous Davis and Main ad.  His aide explaining "We worked a long time on the swirl.  We wanted it nebulous, but not too nebulous."  No wonder Jimmy decided, maybe fatefully, to run the ad before having it reviewed to death by the partners.

- Mrs. Straus channeling Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard ..."I'm ready for my close-up Mr. McGill,"  as she comes gliding down the stairs in her chair lift.  (And when we see the ad, one reviewer points out, Jimmy ends up using the stair chair as an improvised dolly that the film school guys didn't bring!) 

- Jimmy telling the film school guys to be careful with the figurine.  It's the Alpine Boy, and it's a valuable part of the collection.  And it shows that for all his faults, Jimmy listens to his potential clients and absorbs what's important to them, even those little details like a cherished Hummel collection.  No wonder he has such success with those elderly clients.

- Jimmy knowing and describing exactly when to run the ad ("During the first commercial break of 'Murder She Wrote,'" another example of how well he knows his clients.)

- After the commercial apparently runs, an awful silence at the Davis and Main phone bank..  Finally, at long last, the phone rings. Then again. And again.  Then the whole bank is lit.

- Mike visiting the vet.  "You want next level pay, you do next level work."

____

Obscure Breaking Bad reference.  I didn't catch this, but read about it.  So Jimmy and Kim are watching Ice Station Zebra, right?  In Breaking Bad, one of Saul Goodman's tax evading holding companies is "Ice Station Zebra Associates."

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_Station_Zebra_Associates

- Jimmy telling the film school guys to be careful with the figurine.  It's the Alpine Boy, and it's a valuable part of the collection.  And it shows that for all his faults, Jimmy listens to his potential clients and absorbs what's important to them, even those little details like a cherished Hummel collection.  No wonder he has such success with those elderly clients.

- Jimmy knowing and describing exactly when to run the ad ("During the first commercial break of 'Murder She Wrote,'" another example of how well he knows his clients.)

Also shows how he's so good at conning people.  He picks and chooses how to apply this talent.

Oh this is rich... The Albuquerque Isotopes are the AAA baseball affiliate of the Colorado Rockies and the hometown team of the city that serves as the backdrop for Better Call Saul.   On August 6, they are hosting "Better Call Saul" Night.  Here are the jerseys they'll wear: 

Saul1_9izhbj7i_refkutmj.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/2/26/11118490/better-caul-saul-minor-league-baseball-jerseys

Another BB reference, the rolling pig toy Mike was putting the batteries into, isn't that the toy he attached in front of the eyehole of a front door? (Don't want to say more, what is the policy for BB spoilers in this thread?)

I think we're fine with BB spoliers at this point.  Woe to the person who still hasn't binge watched that masterpiece.

BTW, someone noticed this ominous reference to Walter White in this week's episode: 

https://streamable.com/slbq

;)

Not reading this thread because i may be interested.

I'm one of the few people who wasn't grabbed by Breaking bad, although i should give it another chance. I gave it about 6 or 7 episodes and got bored / busy.

Do i have to have watched Breaking Bad to watch this show?

~Bang

So is the daughter in law crazy? Or is she playing Mike for a better place to live? He was outside all night and knows there is nothing sinister going on.

It would be a real twist from the narrative if she's trying to finagle Mike. Plus, in thinking about story continuity, didn't he maintain a relationship with her in BB? I honestly don't remember her, but he certainly did with the granddaughter.

Plus, he's the one who mentions moving out, right? That would be a long play by her to assume that would be his reaction. More believable to me that she's suffering some form of PTSD over her husband's sudden death and stressed and paranoid as a result of it.

But, cripes, I guess it's a possibility.

I'm one of the few people who wasn't grabbed by Breaking bad, although i should give it another chance. I gave it about 6 or 67 episodes and got bored.

~Bang

That's a really interesting question that lots of people have asked. As someone who ate up Breaking Bad, it's tough to answer. It probably stands on its own, but I don't think there would be the depth of interest in the characters and the anticipation of plot lines without having watched BB.

Bang, I urge you to give BB another shot. Highly binge-able. Did the series premiere not grab you? The series was a rollicking ride for me, top 2 or 3 television programs all time in my book. Just brilliant writing and character development, with a roster of the best fictional villains - Tuco, Gus Fring, Hector Salamaccha, Uncle Jack, Todd, hell, even Lydia - of all time.

I'm one of the few people who wasn't grabbed by Breaking bad, although i should give it another chance. I gave it about 6 or 7 episodes and got bored / busy.

~Bang

You don't have to watch Breaking Bad (BB) to watch Better Call Saul (BCS).  My wife found season one interesting and she didn't watch BB with me outside of a few episodes here and there.  

I will say, watching BB would help in completely understanding Saul/Jimmy and Mike's characters as well as some other characters that appear that were also in BB.  As BCS actually takes place before BB, so you would miss out on seeing "who" they become prior to watching, which makes it a lot more interesting, imo.

But I think it's a show that can be enjoyed stand alone.  I also second Dan's post on giving it another try.  I'm surprised that you got 6-7 episodes into it and weren't hooked.  I can definitely say, pick up where you left off and get into season 2 and enjoy the ride.

It would be a real twist from the narrative if she's trying to finagle Mike. Plus, in thinking about story continuity, didn't he maintain a relationship with her in BB? I honestly don't remember her, but he certainly did with the granddaughter.

Plus, he's the one who mentions moving out, right? That would be a long play by her to assume that would be his reaction. More believable to me that she's suffering some form of PTSD over her husband's sudden death and stressed and paranoid as a result of it.

But, cripes, I guess it's a possibility.

Appreciate the feedback. They did have a continuing relationship in BB. Let's go with crazy until proven otherwise.

If you haven't watched BB then the black and white scenes of cinibon would probably be completely meaningless/confusing. Which is easily fixed.

You probably also would lack serious appreciation for Mike.

I also imagine the series finale will leave you confused/wanting/irritated if you had no understanding of where it leads to.

Archived