Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

Last week was a hard act to follow, but it was fun seeing Jimmy in his element. I'm sorry to see season 1 end, but what a start to the series.

Chicago sunroof is already on urban dictionary.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/better-call-saul-season-1-finale-recap-its-never-stopping-me-again/?_r=0

Perfectly exemplifying the lessons of George Costanza.

"Jerry, it's not a lie...if...you believe it."

Overall, I really liked this show over the course of the season. However, with it being a prequel (meaning we know the outcome of many scenarios) and it being focused on a lawyer (not a drug dealer), I wonder how much staying power it will have. 

To be honest, the acting and the imagery are what drew me in this season. Maybe that will be enough to carry it for a few seasons, but I worry that it will just become mundane and uninteresting. 

• 9 months later...

Just caught this on Netflix ... I thought it was pretty darn good.   I do get the criticism about the transformation being a bit abrupt.   OTOH, I think it was basically his way of giving the finger to Chuck, who screwed him royally with HHM.   Considering that after Chuck's incident with the police, Jimmy most likely could have gotten power of attorney, had Chuck commited, cashed him out of the practice, and probably pocketed a big chunk of change in the process, when he decided to be loyal to Chuck who repays it by ****ing him over, I think that could have driven him to the somewhat rash decision.  In his mind, what he planned to become would be no worse to what Chuck had done to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with Episode 1 of season 2.

Jimmy takes the sweet gig after all. Huh. We'll see how long that lasts.

So a nice Easter egg for BB fans. The loudmouth in the bar they scam for the pricey tequila and apps was that same guy whose car was torched by Walter White at the gas station, right?

A couple of reviewers pointed out how the opening and closing scenes of the season premiere bookended each other, little vignettes that speak to who he is and who he will become in terms of following society's rules: 

- In the flash forward opening, Saul gets trapped in the trash room while cleaning out the Cinnabon.  He sees the emergency exit, but reads the "Alarm Will Sound, Police Will Be Notified" notice.  He considers it, then resigns himself to spending the night there if he has to rather than disobey that sign.   

- Fast forward to the closing.  He's alone after being shown his new office.  He sees a power switch with a sign taped on it "Leave this switch on. Do NOT turn it off."  What does he do?  Flips the switch. 

see this is why i think i'm dumb. that's not what i got at all out of that.

i thought he didn't want to go out the door because i thought he was on the run from the police and decided staying in there was better than an encounter with the police.

i'm not smart enough to fully appreciate this show but i still love it

see this is why i think i'm dumb. that's not what i got at all out of that.

i thought he didn't want to go out the door because i thought he was on the run from the police and decided staying in there was better than an encounter with the police.

i'm not smart enough to fully appreciate this show but i still love it

I thought that too. Maybe that was part of it. But presumably, vacuum-cleaner guy had fixed Saul's new identity enough so that the local Omaha cops arent' going to dig too deep into the shlubby Cinnabon manager who locked himself into the trash room.

It was just a sad little scene, showing what a resigned, beaten man Jimmy McGill had become.

So a nice Easter egg for BB fans. The loudmouth in the bar they scam for the pricey tequila and apps was that same guy whose car was torched by Walter White at the gas station, right?

Ahhh, THAT'S who that guy is. I knew he was from Breaking Bad but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Will be interesting to see Saul/Jimmy at this new firm. I think he's going to con some more people, but it'll probably be a while before he goes full on Saul Goodman.

Oh, you could also totally have another entire spinoff on just Mike. That dude is just a straight up badass.

Good call on the loudmouth!  But that tequila was also the tequila that Gus used to kill Don Eladio, too.

Mike tried to tell that Hummer driving jack ass but he wouldn't listen!

Curious to see what happens with that guy.  If he develops as a character for the season and Saul has to defend him or something.   The cops spent too long there to just let that go and not be explored.

Decent episode last night - I enjoyed seeing Jimmy/Saul work in the interrogation room and liked the scene with Mike in the Hummer. I need to see more of that though. I'm bored of the girlfriend, the brother, and the law firm at this point.

So you want more Jimmy (or Saul), less James McGill.

The "Hoboken Squat Cobbler." LOL. So the question is, do we see the videos in a future episode?

Who doesn't love Mike the fixer? He got the baseball cards back, got Wormalt out of the "I'M A CRIMINAL" SUV, chilled out Nacho for the time being, and made a cool 10 thousand bucks for his efforts.

As for "the girlfriend," his relationship with Kim is destined for failure, so it's only a matter of time, right?

And I disagree with you on Chuck. It's going to get real ugly with him and his little brother. As if he didn't rip Jimmy's heart out already, he's going to do it again. It will be painful to watch, but it will be top-shelf drama.

And as for general boredom, the specter of Tuco should shake things up.

Kinda wish they would've just ended it with them laughing and eating pie instead of going into super serious mode.

But Dan, I think you're right. Nothing about this relationship with her says to me that it's not going to end, and that it's not going to end ugly. I think it'll play a big part in the evolution of Jimmy to Saul. Same with his brother. I can see that turning into seriously captivating, but just flat out heart wrenching drama. It's gonna hurt. But you won't be able to turn away.

Archived