Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

Mike will cripple Salamacha, Gus will take notice, a bromance will ensue.

los-pollos-hermanos-breaking-bad-shirt-t

^                   ^

Gus                Mike

Another little fun harkening back to Breaking Bad in "Fifi" that I read about.  So the old guy faking as a WWII pilot was actually a client who owes Jimmy for defending him on public masturbation charges. ("Total bull**** charge, man").   Back in Breaking Bad, when Saul first meets with Badger to defend him on the drug charge, he mistakes him for a client up on public masturbation charges (BTW, this clip shows Saul at his Sauliest best): 

This show...

2 GREAT scenes for Kim. I can't help but think, if you're an actor, and the chance comes along to be on a Vince Gilligan show, you have to jump on it immediately.

The Jimmy/Chuck story is getting intense. The copy shop showdown and resulting medical emergency, that was so well written.

The theme seems to be "No one is clean", Kim knowing that what Chuck was saying is true, but defending Jimmy anyway, then telling Jimmy without telling him, to clean up the loose ends. Maybe Chuck, but even he isn't a complete pillar of virtue.

The Mike story line is chugging right along as well. There was no time wasted showing him putting the homemade spike strip to use. And the showdown between Mike and Nacho, so intense.

Bring on the season finale, though I'm sad the season will be over so quickly.

This show...

2 GREAT scenes for Kim. I can't help but think, if you're an actor, and the chance comes along to be on a Vince Gilligan show, you have to jump on it immediately.

The theme seems to be "No one is clean", Kim knowing that what Chuck was saying is true, but defending Jimmy anyway, then telling Jimmy without telling him, to clean up the loose ends. Maybe Chuck, but even he isn't a complete pillar of virtue.

Kim has plausible deniability. She convinced Chuck she thinks he made a mistake with convincing acting - though everything she said to Chuck about him and Jimmy rang true. That scene was meta - an actress playing a lawyer acting. Good scene.

The dynamic between Mike and Nacho is really interesting. They've been forced into this alliance that wavers between trust, suspicion, and grudging respect for each other.

Can't wait for the Rupert Holmes documentary.

Mike learning the lesson that you can't be half way in.  Didn't kill the driver, but he got an innocent good person killed anyway and it left a big mess to boot.  Too bad $250k wasn't enough for him, course it's tv but he is a good guy and he is fixing to go very bad here soon and it's sad to see.  I would guess there will be another few kicks in the teeth to deaden what's left, that good samaritan is a major one though. It's odd knowing how it will end for him, which is a weird thing about this show, but it loses nothing for it so far.  

So is Chuck dead? His fainting spell and his head crashing into the sharp edge of the copy-shop counter seemed pretty ominous.  Did it kill him?  That's a cliffhanger for the season finale. 

If Chuck dies, it pretty much eliminates the chance of Jimmy getting caught for the Mesa Verde forgery.  But it would be a heavy burden on him too. He somehow still cares about his brother, despite all they've put each other through.  ("Somebody call 911!" he implores to himself as he spies on the scene unfolding at the copy shop.)

Also, will we get to see Jimmy's commercial next week, with WWII pilot "Fudge" and the bomber and the waving American flag?  Let me check the listings for Diagnosis Murder. 

(BTW, could the choice of THAT television show be a clue as to the fate of Chuck? Hmmmm.)

giphy.gif

Mike learning the lesson that you can't be half way in.  Didn't kill the driver, but he got an innocent good person killed anyway and it left a big mess to boot.  Too bad $250k wasn't enough for him, course it's tv but he is a good guy and he is fixing to go very bad here soon and it's sad to see.  I would guess there will be another few kicks in the teeth to deaden what's left, that good samaritan is a major one though. It's odd knowing how it will end for him, which is a weird thing about this show, but it loses nothing for it so far.  

Yeah Mike's awesomeness unfolding before our eyes just makes the legend of Heisenberg even more insane considering the events of later.

Possibly the best episode of the season. Kim firmly established herself as a great character this episode. Jimmy getting even closer to full Saul mode. Mike doing Mike things. Chuck showed even more how shrewd he is figuring out Jimmy's scheme exactly. Then Chuck gets hurt following up on Jimmy's stuff. The cashier likely sticks with denying knowing Jimmy so he doesn't get involved with that extra circumstance should Chuck die and police come around. If Jimmy gets caught he gets disbarred but we know that doesn't happen.

Kim I think will continue to establish herself as a strong character, that way it's even more impactful when Jimmy becomes Saul and his bad habits eventually push her away like they do others. She had a great point about Chuck not supporting Jimmy and essentially contributing to Jimmy becoming what he is. I think a large part of that is resentment from Chuck that Jimmy is so charismatic and liked and seemingly gets away with everything. Their relationship is a lot like Ferris Bueler and his sister.

Looking forward to season finale, though also not happy it's already here. 

Also, we all know once Jimmy goes full Saul he's going to be incredibly polarizing, so I'm glad that right now we're getting to see characters like Kim become strong as well, that way we don't lose interest in them once Jimmy is completely Saul.

Watched it again.  The ending kind of reminds me of Walt in Breaking Bad when he's watching Jane die and has that conflicting moment of whether he should help her or not.  Watching his brother like that, knowing he could help but hesitating because of possible ramifications.  

Big turning points for both characters. 

The forgery stuff could be the domino that really gets the transformation into Saul going.

I think so.  Forging a document is about as bad as it gets, outside of maybe planting evidence.

Think its interesting that Mike was pretty much driving the same exact car just different color....which was the only thing the driver had a chance to see.

You know what would have been fun?  If the car parked behind the billboard was a mint green Pontiac Aztec!

Chuck is such a rat.

I had to look this up first, I'm sure it will come into play:

http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/criminal-law/surreptitious_tape.htm

The twelve states listed below require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to the conversation before taping is allowed. If the court determines that the statement was obtained in violation of state law, it will not qualify as generally admissible evidence.

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. 

Establishing a Foundation for the Recorded Conversation

Federal law and several states require only that one party to the conversation consent to the recording. If you are a party to the conversation that you are recording, then your consent is sufficient. New York, Louisiana, and Texas adhere to this requirement.

However, even if the recording is the type of evidence that is admissible, you still may not be able to introduce the tape in court due to a lack of predicate. Predicate refers to the foundation that you must establish to ensure the evidence is reliable. For example, until you establish that the voice on the tape is actually belongs to the person you are claiming it does, the recorded conversation is hearsay and will not be admitted.

Predicate rules are usually set out in a state's rules of evidence and will vary, but generally you must be able to:

1. Demonstrate that the voice on the tape actually belongs to the person you are claiming, not someone impersonating them;
  2. Show that the recording device you used was capable of making an accurate recording;
  3. Prove that the recording is a true and accurate representation of the conversation. This is usually an issue when the recording cuts in and out because of, for example, wind blowing through the microphone, which could cause the conversation to lose much of its context; and
  4. Verify that the recording has not been tampered or altered in any way.

Even if the evidence would otherwise be admissible, if you cannot satisfy your state's procedural predicate rules, the recording cannot be used in court.

Archived