Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul

RawBBQSauce

One of the best episodes ever.   In the previews of next weeks episode, you hear Kim mention Saul Goodman.  I'm still eager to know the boards decision, surely Chuck screwed up getting him disbarred.  I'm guessing the only thing that could be done was that he cannot practice law under the McGill name anymore so he changes it to Saul Goodman or he changes it on his own to start over fresh.  

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

One of the best episodes ever.   In the previews of next weeks episode, you hear Kim mention Saul Goodman.  I'm still eager to know the boards decision, surely Chuck screwed up getting him disbarred.  I'm guessing the only thing that could be done was that he cannot practice law under the McGill name anymore so he changes it to Saul Goodman or he changes it on his own to start over fresh.  

I missed the preview, so I didn't hear the Saul Goodman reference.  Very Interesting

It was easy to miss, but Jimmy argued before the board that he made the confession falsely only to console Chuck, who seemed on the verge of a breakdown when he set Jimmy up.  And so everything else that ensued during the hearing casting doubt on Chuck's mental fitness may have helped sow reasonable doubt in the collective minds of the 3-person panel. Jimmy may be off the hook anyway. I guess we'll see next week.

BTW, another little bit of irony that the writers had fun with... in the flashback opening, Chuck hides from Rebecca the real reason why there's no power in the house.  He blames it on the power company - they shut off power for non-payment, he says, only they got the wrong house because they mistakenly transposed two numbers in the street address.  The very same thing Jimmy did in doctoring the Mesa Verde documents!

2 hours ago, Redskin-All-In said:

And McKean's brilliant performance indeed--showed us a man not overcome by his mania, but instead completely and utterly beaten.

I had to re-watch the ending to his testimony last night. His acting was stellar. Arrogant, to defensive, to triumphant, to angry, to arrogant and angry, to defensive to withering, to crushed. He just stayed through it. The camera stayed on him for an uncomfortably long period of time, and you could just feel it. Amazing. I don't know when I'll see something better than that. 

12 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I had to re-watch the ending to his testimony last night. His acting was stellar. Arrogant, to defensive, to triumphant, to angry, to arrogant and angry, to defensive to withering, to crushed. He just stayed through it. The camera stayed on him for an uncomfortably long period of time, and you could just feel it. Amazing. I don't know when I'll see something better than that. 

I think he's given an Emmy-worthy performance as Chuck, especially after last night's episode. 

Brilliant. From http://uproxx.com/tv/caine-mutiny-better-call-saul/2/

[T]he episode’s writer, Gordon Smith, did consult with a relative who is a lawyer, and he also watched an actual disbarment hearing and used it as the framework for the episode.

The bigger inspiration for the episode, however, came from the 1954 film The Caine Mutiny directed by Edward Dmytryk (who would actually end up being one of showrunner Peter Gould’s instructors while he was at USC) and starring Humphrey Bogart. The movie itself is based on a 1951 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel written by Herman Wouk.

The similarities between the climactic scenes in this week’s episode of Better Call Saul and The Caine Mutiny are both striking and fascinating. In both cases, the men on the stand — Chuck McGill and Humphrey Bogart’s character, Lt. Commender Philip Francis Queeg — break during their testimony and reveal their mental unfitness. In Saul, it’s because Jimmy confesses to Chuck that he’s hidden a battery in his pocket for an hour, revealing to everyone in the courtroom that Chuck’s electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not real. Chuck has a meltdown on the stand and begins ranting at his brother.

Meanwhile, as Gordon Smith explains in the Insider Podcast, the battery in Caine Mutiny are the “strawberries.” In Mutiny, Queeg becomes completely obsessed with a quart of missing strawberries. While leading a crew on the USS Caine in the midst of a war, a paranoid Queeg convenes an elaborate investigation into these missing strawberries

Check it out for the side-by-side screen shots of the Saul judges and the Caine judges. And there's more:

Note also that it’s not the first time the Breaking Bad universe has referred to The Caine Mutiny. In the fifth season episode “Madrigal,” Mike can be seen watching the film, as Gilligan explained to Entertainment Weekly at the time.

"That is The Caine Mutiny, one of my very favorite movies. I was very lucky with that, actually, because it can be very expensive to use clips of movies, which is why you don’t see too many clips on the show. But Caine Mutiny is owned by Sony/Columbia, our parent company. And yes, it may have some connection to where Walt is at this point."

Vince you crafty genius, don't you ever change.

That was an amazing episode. Ranks right up there with some of the best Breaking Bad episodes.

The guy who plays Chuck should get an Emmy. Dude can ACT.

And in the previews for the next episode, we finally hear it....SAUL GOODMAN.

So Saul Goodman is born!  And on top of that, we've got a whole year of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman doing stuff NOT as a lawyer.  That should be a blast.  He'll get some cash from those ad slots.  But Slippin' Jimmy might need to rustle up some funds to keep up his end of the payments for the office and Francesca . His loyalty to Francesca is kind of endearing.  The two of them calling the whole client list was a really fun montage.

Nacho is emerging as an interesting character.  We sees hints of humanity behind the tough guy façade.  Though humanity isn't yet winning over, as Crazy 8 finds out as he gets a brutal beat-down after subtle prodding from Hector.  And now we see the emergence of a potentially huge conflict with Hector, with Hector making him choose, it seems, between his father ("a simple man, not in the business") and his crime family. 

Mike gets a temporary respite from the underworld, pouring concrete for a playground.  He's got experience pouring concrete, right Mike? Remember the carport slab you did yourself?  You don't remember that Mike? Why not?

Chuck isn't done yet.  He calls the doctor who pulled the trick showing his "illness" wasn't physical. 

Random thoughts.

- Was anyone else laughing out loud at that commercial?  And as TheDoyler23 mentions, Kim's expression after watching it is priceless.

- How much did Howard pay for that bottle?  I assume it's scotch, but I can't pull the brand.

- Nacho covers Hector's dropped capsule with his foot, and secretly picks it up.  File that away for a later plot point.

- Back in Breaking Bad, Crazy 8 almost lulls Walter White into complacency with seemingly warm small talk about family. It doesn't work.  Last night, he almost lulls Nacho into complacency with seemingly warm small talk about family. It doesn't work.

- Seeing Lydia in the car after Gus inspects the dry cleaning business was a shocker.

Great episode last night.  The entire time I was thinking the name change had to do with him trying to jump through a legal loophole based off the bar hearing, etc. or just wanting a fresh start.  And it was only related to the hearing due to the 12 month suspension where the commercial violates his suspension by advertising his law services.

And the name we grow to love was created for a commercial to replace his other commercial lol.  And not to mention it was a play on words, "It's all good man".  I love it :ols:

I'm wondering if we will get to see a cameo of Walt and Jesse in future episodes.  It would be really cool to see him sitting in Walt's high school chemistry class, screwing off or something.  

Okay this is fun. Below is the very first appearance of Saul Goodman back on on Breaking Bad.  He mixes up Badger with another client, to comedic effect.  Fun flashback, but there's more to it.  

Listen to how he explains the mixup, at about 1:15.  "A little transpositional error. Nothing a little White-Out can't take care of."  Which sounds EXACTLY like what he did to the Mesa Verde papers to screw over Chuck in Better Call Saul.  

This week's episode was a set up but it had a lot of good little moments. 

Jimmy meeting with the insurance company, with a second motive to getting a refund. 

Kim's guilt for her participation in the hearing and snapping at the Mesa Verde attorney. She was the star of the episode, for sure. 

Mike not wanting to get involved, but has these paternalistic instincts for Nacho. It's almost endearing. 

5 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Mike not wanting to get involved, but has these paternalistic instincts for Nacho. It's almost endearing. 

I actually think he took the job so he could talk to Nacho about finding the remains of the lady's missing Navy husband. Mike only agreed to help after he talked with her.

I thought the best (well, one of) scene was when Jimmy started into -full- detail about how they were gonna con the obnoxious guy in the bar.. Kim got a glimpse of what Jimmy is capable of there and looked a bit scared. lol

12 hours ago, BigDaddyShoo said:

I actually think he took the job so he could talk to Nacho about finding the remains of the lady's missing Navy husband. Mike only agreed to help after he talked with her.

This occurred to me as well but how is a drug dealer going to help find out what happened to some missing guy? 

13 hours ago, BigDaddyShoo said:

I had the same thought as well, but she said he died five years ago. I think it just made him remember that innocent bystander that got killed and left out there. Even after Mike's talk with Gus you know it still bothers him. So if he guides Nacho, but directly not doing the killing Mike doesn't break his deal.

On 5/16/2017 at 0:34 PM, Dan T. said:

So Saul Goodman is born!  And on top of that, we've got a whole year of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman doing stuff NOT as a lawyer.  That should be a blast.  He'll get some cash from those ad slots.  But Slippin' Jimmy might need to rustle up some funds to keep up his end of the payments for the office and Francesca . His loyalty to Francesca is kind of endearing.  The two of them calling the whole client list was a really fun montage.

Nacho is emerging as an interesting character.  We sees hints of humanity behind the tough guy façade.  Though humanity isn't yet winning over, as Crazy 8 finds out as he gets a brutal beat-down after subtle prodding from Hector.  And now we see the emergence of a potentially huge conflict with Hector, with Hector making him choose, it seems, between his father ("a simple man, not in the business") and his crime family. 

Mike gets a temporary respite from the underworld, pouring concrete for a playground.  He's got experience pouring concrete, right Mike? Remember the carport slab you did yourself?  You don't remember that Mike? Why not?

Chuck isn't done yet.  He calls the doctor who pulled the trick showing his "illness" wasn't physical. 

Random thoughts.

- Was anyone else laughing out loud at that commercial?  And as TheDoyler23 mentions, Kim's expression after watching it is priceless.

- How much did Howard pay for that bottle?  I assume it's scotch, but I can't pull the brand.

I did a search, right after Howard mentioned the price. It looks like this Macallan vintage 1966. Just north of $20K.  http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/the+macallan+fine+rare+single+malt+scotch+whisky+speyside+highlands+scotland/1966

• 2 weeks later...

So Mike is bothered by the civilian who disappeared because he found the truck driver Mike tied up.

That motivates him to get back at Don Hector.

That also motivates him to find the missing husband from the gal he met while volunteering at church.

And retroactive (ETA: forward-active?) to Breaking Bad, it really explains his motivation to honor the request of Lydia (someone he despises) not to be "disappeared" to her daughter when he breaks into her house to abduct her.

I love these writers.

Archived