Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

They are the best apparatus for smoking meat period.

How so?

I know nothing about pellet smokers. My only exposure, is seeing them at Costco.

I'm guessing that there is a convenience factor? Pros? Cons?

I'm always interested in expanding my cooking horizons but, with five grills already, Mrs Skinsfan would take some serious convincing.

I've already put the bug in her ear, for a BGE, or other Kamado-style cooker. ;)

How so?

I know nothing about pellet smokers. My only exposure, is seeing them at Costco.

I'm always interested in expanding my cooking horizons but, with five grills already, Mrs Skinsfan would take some serious convincing.

I've already put the bug in her ear, for a BGE, or other Kamado-style cooker. ;)

Absolute precise temperature control with our having to compromise on a fuel source. Also their ability to sustain perfect temperature for as long as you wish

A decent one is $800 or so

...and getting back to food. Mrs Skinsfan bought a sack of limes, from Costco, for a few recipes, but we had a bunch leftover, and can only drink so many bourbon mojitos. I know you can freeze whole limes, but we didn't bother. I made some pickled red onions with them, and served them up on fajitas, made with a chili-lime rubbed steak.

The pickled onions were great, the recipe, below, is a variation of several,that I found while searching for some way to use them ip.

One large red onion, thinly sliced

Juice from a couple of limes

2 TBS olive oil, (I used the good stuff)

1 tsp chopped cilantro

dash of salt & pepper

Put the onions in a non-reactive bowl, squeeze the lime juice over them, add the rest of the ingredients, and stir.

Let sit,at least overnight. If you like pickled onions, you'll love this.

Absolute precise temperature control with our having to compromise on a fuel source. Also their ability to sustain perfect temperature for as long as you wish

A decent one is $800 or so

"Set it and..........forget it!!"

Now I'm officially intrigued.

Damn you!

• Like 1

Most of the olive oil you buy also doesn't come from places we consider "famous" for olive oil like Greece and Italy either, even if it has an appropriately Greco-Roman sounding name.

It's an industry with a lot of shifty labeling.

(Honestly though, as long as you're orange-belting it, who cares?)

Yeah, I read that to.

We get our olive oil from Costco and it tastes very good. I base that on having lived in Naples, Italy for four year,(next to an olive grove),so I consider myself an expert :)

If the the extra virgin olive oil sold there is fake, it still tastes good enough to fool these mezzo-Italian tastebuds.

If Costco is being victimized, then so am I.

I

I don't use the good for cooking usually, I save it for dipping

My palette is not refined enough to tell the difference when cooked

As well you should.

"Set it and..........forget it!!"

Now I'm officially intrigued.

Damn you!

Basically... you fill the hopper with pellets and it adjust how quickly/slowly it feeds them into the smoker to keep the temperature right.

I haven't heard anything negative about them other than it takes all the skill out of smoking.

Which, in my case, is probably a good thing.

• Like 1

Basically... you fill the hopper with pellets and it adjust how quickly/slowly it feeds them into the smoker to keep the temperature right.

I haven't heard anything negative about them other than it takes all the skill out of smoking.

Which, in my case, is probably a good thing.

Sounds cool, but I guess I'm old-school, and prefer to cook with charcoal and wood. If I'm going to drop $$$, my next toy will be a kamado-style cooker.

How so?

They have infomercials on constantly now.  

I saw this on 60 minutes. I usually buy the Trader Joe's California olive oil. Tend not to trust the imported stuff anymore

I've sampled a lot of EVOO. The best tasting one I've had that you can just buy in stores is Calavita. And there is nothing wrong with a good quality Spanish oil.

I've got a propane grill and a smoker.  I love them.  But I want to get back into charcoal grilling.  I'm looking for something small, easy to assemble (minimal assembly preferred) along with minimal cost (under $150).  It can be portable, standing, etc.  

So experts, help get me started on the best models, least cost, minimal assembly.  Also take into consideration that I don't need anything that can cook enough food at once to feed an army.  Just one that can reach desired temps and cook for say 4-5 people.

All help, references is appreciated :)

I've got a propane grill and a smoker. I love them. But I want to get back into charcoal grilling. I'm looking for something small, easy to assemble (minimal assembly preferred) along with minimal cost (under $150). It can be portable, standing, etc.

So experts, help get me started on the best models, least cost, minimal assembly. Also take into consideration that I don't need anything that can cook enough food at once to feed an army. Just one that can reach desired temps and cook for say 4-5 people.

All help, references is appreciated :)

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-Original-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00004RALU

You don't need to look at anything else. Buy a heavier duty cover for it with a strap, the cheap one I bought with it blew away in the wind storm a few months ago.

Edit- this was the cover we bought to replace the cheap one: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-55-178-015101-EC-Ravenna-Kettle/dp/B00D2VV0GC

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 2

You don't need to look at anything else. Buy a heavier duty cover for it with a strap, the cheap one I bought with it blew away in the wind storm a few months ago.

Edit- this was the cover we bought to replace the cheap one: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-55-178-015101-EC-Ravenna-Kettle/dp/B00D2VV0GC

Good call on the Weber kettle.

As the owner of three Weber kettles, my advice is to spend another $50.00 and get the Premium model.  

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-14401001-Original-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00MKB5TXA

It includes the one-touch ash catcher and a hinged grate, both of which make life a lot easier.

That is a sweet cover.   

• Like 1

Good call on the Weber kettle.

As the owner of three Weber kettles, my advice is to spend another $50.00 and get the Premium model.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-14401001-Original-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00MKB5TXA

It includes the one-touch ash catcher and a hinged grate, both of which make life a lot easier.

That is a sweet cover.

Yeah actually in retrospect I think I would really like the easier ash dumping system.

Go with this man's advice.

I've had my eye on the Webber Kettle for a couple of years. Did any of y'all experience any paint chipping or screwed up parts? There aren't many bad reviews, but I do read through them.

Mine was solid. In general anything will have manufacturing defects here or there. All about what % of produced units have defects and how the manufacturer resolves those issues.

Mine was solid. In general anything will have manufacturing defects here or there. All about what % of produced units have defects and how the manufacturer resolves those issues.

Yeah, it was very minimal in bad/poor reviews.  4-5 stars dominated the reviews.  Wondering if I should get a chimney starter too, they are pretty inexpensive. 

Like this one:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Rapidfire-Chimney-Charcoal-Starter-7416/100657893

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro