Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I've had my eye on the Webber Kettle for a couple of years. Did any of y'all experience any paint chipping or screwed up parts? There aren't many bad reviews, but I do read through them.

Nope. Weber is quality. They have a great warranty and kick-ass customer service.

One of my 22" kettles was manufactured in 1984, and going strong. I still lug it to tailgate parties.

Hell, even my gas grill,(Weber Genesis Silver series),is old. It wasanufactured in 2001. Admittedly, I just had to replace the grates, and flavorizer bars, but they had a 15-year run, which ain't bad.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I've had my eye on the Webber Kettle for a couple of years.  Did any of y'all experience any paint chipping or screwed up parts?  There aren't many bad reviews, but I do read through them.

Webber Kettle grill. I'm kinda in the same position as you. I plan on buying one just waiting for the rain to break!! Feel,like I'm living in Seattle.

Edited by HOF44

Thanks fellas!  Appreciate the help.

Edit: Ended up going with the Premium Weber charcoal grill recommended, the grill cover suggested and added on a weber chimney starter.  

Hopefully, I can get my charcoal mojo back..........it's been over 20 years.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Yeah I love the chimney.  Makes the process easier and honestly, it's just fun. 

I never had one before, so it looks like it would be nice to just almost instantly ignite the charcoal and have it ready in minutes lol.

I think part of my problem the last time I tried to use a charcoal grill was I bought one that was way too big.  It was one of those huge barrel ones, could cook something like 30 burgers at once.  I don't think I was ready to operate a grill that size correctly.  Before that it was years since I used charcoal and it was always on a small grill.

I used that thing once or twice, screwed up the meals and said **** it and tossed it out lol

Well it's not exactly instantaneous, it does still take some time for the coals to ignite and get fully going.  It's more efficient than other methods though.

In terms of ruining meals, just make sure you understand how to use the vents and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Question about cooking a brisket on charcoal.  I know that I need to do it with indirect heat, so all the coals on one side, brisket on the side not directly above it.  

I've read that it can take about 8 hours at around 250 degrees.  Great thing, this weber comes with a thermometer.  But, what would I do to keep the heat consistent and at 250 degrees for the cooking duration?  How often do I need to add coals and how many coals total are we talking for something like that?

Edit:  Best charcoal to cook with?  Natural lump or standard?

This site has a lot of good information about that kind of thing:

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

Edit: Sorry, this is the website I meant:

http://amazingribs.com/

If you really want to do long indirect cooking on a Weber kettle it's probably worth getting a slow 'n' sear, and definitely worth getting a thermometer.  The one that's built into the grill isn't going to be very useful.

Edited by dfitzo53

This site has a lot of good information about that kind of thing:

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

If you really want to do long indirect cooking on a Weber kettle it's probably worth getting a slow 'n' sear, and definitely worth getting a thermometer.  The one that's built into the grill isn't going to be very useful.

Are you talking about a meat thermometer?

Wow, $89 to put in a piece of metal in a kettle grill to slow cook........maybe a birthday/Christmas present lol

Edit:  So the slow n sear basically insures that you will get 8 hours of heat to slow cook, not using one, I'll have to keep a constant eye on it and replenish coals?

Yeah, I mean the Slow 'n' Sear's not strictly necessary, but I was impressed with how well it held the temperature in the right range for a long period of time.  I didn't buy it right away after getting the grill, I got it later on.

In terms of thermometers, an instant-read one to test the temperature of the meat is great, but in terms of replacing the built-in thermometer I actually meant the kind that you can leave in the grill right near the cooking area to monitor the temperature.  It doesn't do you much good to know that the lid of your grill is 250 degrees if the cooking area is actually 350, or vice versa.

By the way, this is the website I actually meant to link to:

http://amazingribs.com/

• Like 1

Are you talking about a meat thermometer?

Wow, $89 to put in a piece of metal in a kettle grill to slow cook........maybe a birthday/Christmas present lol

Edit: So the slow n sear basically insures that you will get 8 hours of heat to slow cook, not using one, I'll have to keep a constant eye on it and replenish coals?

Yes.

The SnS ensures a constant temp. I can hold 225°-230° for 10+hrs in my Weber kettle with the SnS, without adding charcoal.

It has a permanent home in my kettle, and works better than the charcoal baskets, for indirect cooking. By adjusting the vents, differently, it will hold 325° for hours, to cook roasts, turkeys, chicken, etc.

The design also allows you to set up a blazing hot fire, for searing food. The only way I could do that before, was to set the charcoal grate, on top of a chimney starter full of lit briquets.

The SnS is very well constructed, and the design is simple, but clever,with a water reservoir built in. That,and it'smade in America :)

Dollar-for-dollar, you will not find a quality smoker for $89.00, and the SnS takes up a heckuva less room.

I know I sound like a pitch man, for the SnS, but it's a great addition to my BBQ quiver and I use it all the time

• Like 1

Yes.

The SnS ensures a constant temp. I can hold 225°-230° for 10+hrs in my Weber kettle with the SnS, without adding charcoal.

It has a permanent home in my kettle, and works better than the charcoal baskets, for indirect cooking. By adjusting the vents, differently, it will hold 325° for hours, to cook roasts, turkeys, chicken, etc.

The design also allows you to set up a blazing hot fire, for searing food. The only way I could do that before, was to set the charcoal grate, on top of a chimney starter full of lit briquets.

The SnS is very well constructed, and the design is simple, but clever,with a water reservoir built in. That,and it'smade in America :)

Dollar-for-dollar, you will not find a quality smoker for $89.00, and the SnS takes up a heckuva less room.

I know I sound like a pitch man, for the SnS, but it's a great addition to my BBQ quiver and I use it all the time

I love mine. Did a boston butt already on it a few weeks ago. Wanted to do one last Saturday, but rained hard all day. I ended up just searing it in the dutch oven real good, then put the whole thing in the oven at 250 for about 7 hours with a little added cider vinegar. It was still delicious, just didn't have any smoke flavor.

How many of you guys make your own cole slaw? I used to work at a restaurant and learned there how to make some slaw that everybody seems to love that tries it.

Cabbage

tiny bit of shredded carrot

sugar

horseradish

mayo

salt and pepper

Edited by Zguy28

Question about cooking a brisket on charcoal. I know that I need to do it with indirect heat, so all the coals on one side, brisket on the side not directly above it.

I've read that it can take about 8 hours at around 250 degrees. Great thing, this weber comes with a thermometer. But, what would I do to keep the heat consistent and at 250 degrees for the cooking duration? How often do I need to add coals and how many coals total are we talking for something like that?

Edit: Best charcoal to cook with? Natural lump or standard?

For low and slow, natural lump all the way. Burns slower than standard so you don't have to add coals so often

Brisket can be an unforgiving SOB if your plan is to just throw it on the grate and cook until it's done. I recommend spraying with apple juice once an hour for the first 4-5 hours, until it gets to 170 internal. Then double wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and put it back on for another 2 hours or so. Should be above 190 when you pull it off. Let it rest in the foil for a half hour, then unwrap and slice against the grain. You will get a tender and delicious brisket.

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 2

I make my own slaws too ZGuy. I like Bobby Flay's recipe that I saw him do once but I'm not sure if I remember it exactly:

It's something like:

- Whole cabbage

- One or two shredded carrots

- A little bit of grated yellow onion--careful not to add too much because it'll make the slaw bitter.

Dressing:

- 1/2 cup mayo

- 2 tablespoons sour cream

- 1 or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar

- 1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds (be careful not to overdo these or it will be too bitter)

- 2 tablespoons sugar

- 1 tablespoon dry mustard

- Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk then ingredients for the dressing to combine then dump it into your slaw and mix it up.

If you really want to increase the tastiness (and also the unhealthiness), mix in crumbled bleu cheese and chopped bacon. Tastes so good but I always feel guilty about it after I finish off a batch.

I find that buying a head of cabbage and slicing it yourself gives you fresher results than buying a bag of pre-shredded slaw mix. But it's laborious unless you have a mandoline slicer. I'd definitely recommend getting one of these for anyone who likes making slaw.

I also have a dressing for a taco/burrito slaw that I really like:

- 1 whole cabbage

- About 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro

- 1 or 2 diced jalapeno or serrano chiles. I always seed them to reduce the heat.

Dressing:

- juice from 2 or 3 limes

- 1/3rd cup of mayo

- 1/3rd cup of sour cream

- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar

- 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic

- salt and pepper to taste

How many of you guys make your own cole slaw? I used to work at a restaurant and learned there how to make some slaw that everybody seems to love that tries it.

Cabbage

sugar

horseradish

mayo

salt and pepper

I make it all the time but without the mayo. Instead I use: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, peanut butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar, garlic & a few drops of sesame oil with carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, & onion. 

I love mine. Did a boston butt already on it a few weeks ago. Wanted to do one last Saturday, but rained hard all day. I ended up just searing it in the dutch oven real good, then put the whole thing in the oven at 250 for about 7 hours with a little added cider vinegar. It was still delicious, just didn't have any smoke flavor.

Cabbage

sugar

horseradish

mayo

salt and pepper

I do too. I do something similiar.

I also mix my Carolina Vinegar sauce, shredded slaw, for a vinegary, spicy slaw.

I admit, I don't bother shredding my own cabbage. I buy the pre-shredded stuff. It works great, without all the chopping, shredding, or mandolin slicer cleaning

I think I'm gonna try and sneak order that slow n sear to get it by this weekend so I can do a brisket lol 

Maybe the wife won't notice......

What's the best way to grill chicken wings in the kettle?  indirect heat, 250 degrees for an hour?

You need higher temp to get crispy skin.  All 250 and the skin will be rubbery.

I smoke at 225 for ~45 min or an hour and then take them off to rest.  Meanwhile, crank the heat to 375 or more and put them back on for 5 minutes or so to crisp up the skin.  Best of both worlds...

• Like 1

You need higher temp to get crispy skin.  All 250 and the skin will be rubbery.

I smoke at 225 for ~45 min or an hour and then take them off to rest.  Meanwhile, crank the heat to 375 or more and put them back on for 5 minutes or so to crisp up the skin.  Best of both worlds...

Indirect heat for the first phase, then direct heat to get them crispy right?

• Like 1

Another question about the slow n sear.  So when the charcoal gets ready in the chimney starter, I just dump the coals into the slow n sear, put the grate on.  

Question is, when preparing steaks, would I want to put them directly over the coals on the slow n sear side immediately after putting the coals in?  How hot would the coals be at that time?  

I know it maintains the 250-300 degrees for smoking indirectly over 8-10 hours, but what about the temperatures over it for direct cooking? Is there any reason to add water in it when cooking steaks?