Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I still don't see anyone answering Taze's question. 22 minutes to cook thin burgers. That's worse than low and slow.

Just asking because I want to know the answer too. I usually do my burgers 4 min one side, flip and 4 min on side, then one more flip at 4 min for a total of 12 min. I think my temperature on this is 350 on my grill but don't know how reliable my gauge is.

22 minutes for a burger would ruin mine.

I answered it,and provided the solution, few posts ago,(can't tell the post #, I'm using my phone)

The fire wasn't hot enough, because he let the charcoal burn too long in a chimney starter. By the time he dumped it in the grill, good deal of it had already burned up.

I agree with you on that 22 minute burger. It would kill mine.

I cook, pretty thick burgers, the same way that you do, over med-high heat..I don't look at the gauge.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Taze, skinsfan is spot on and I feel like you weren't drinking enough during this process.

Gotta note though that these are burgers. You aren't in a high stakes cooking comp.

Grab a beer and get the coals going and open the vents. Spread the coals out under your cooking surface and throw the burgers on. If the fire feels hot as your standing there and the meat sizzles on the grill you can bet you'll have some good burgers on the way. It really is that simple.

There is no need to be a perfectionist in this case. No stopwatch or temp gage either.

If you are unsure of the meat internal temp use a meat thermometer or just cut into one of the patties.

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 1

Taze, skinsfan is spot on and I feel like you weren't drinking enough during this process.

Gotta note though that these are burgers. You aren't in a high stakes cooking comp.

Grab a beer and get the coals going and open the vents. Spread the coals out under your cooking surface and throw the burgers on. If the fire feels hot as your standing there and the meat sizzles on the grill you can bet you'll have some good burgers on the way. It really is that simple.

There is no need to be a perfectionist in this case. No stopwatch or temp gage either.

If you are unsure of the meat internal temp use a meat thermometer or just cut into one of the patties.

I tend to overthink things, it's a flaw of mine.  I've also mastered grilling and smoking on my propane grill and propane smoker.  Never have any issues with anything I cook on there.  With the exception of the burners going bad when we were grilling out steaks, had to end up finishing them on the stovetop in a pan.  But that was technical issues.

So I tend to get agitated when I know that I can and should be able to do better, since I have in the past with charcoal grills.  Of course I introduced new equipment in the chimney starter and it was pointed out by skinsfan that most people don't use it properly and he was spot on.  

The burgers were good, cooked throughout.  I just know they can be better and I'm gonna have to relearn grilling on charcoal and not get so uptight.  Just keep after it until it's an after thought and routine.

• Like 1

Play around with it until you find a method you like

Lately for thick burgers I've been taking the temp up to 650 in the BGE, cook for 3 minutes, flip, shut all the vents and leave it in there for 10 minutes. Add cheese, then shut the lid again for 1 minute or so to let it melt. They come out with a nice medium cook, juicy and delicious.

I tend to overthink things, it's a flaw of mine.

So I tend to get agitated when I know that I can and should be able to do better, since I have in the past with charcoal grills.

The burgers were good, cooked throughout. I just know they can be better and I'm gonna have to relearn grilling on charcoal and not get so uptight. Just keep after it until it's an after thought and routine.

Don't sweat it, Man!

The thrill is in the chase.

You're going to make mistakes along the way. We all did, and most peobably still do. There aren't too many grilling errors that can't be fixed with catsup, BBQ sauce, gravy, or alcohol ;)

The thrill is in the chase.

• Like 1

How I tell when a chimney of coals is ready is when the flames have reached the top and those coals are lit. Maybe there is a better way, but that one works for me.

I never use a thermometer, mostly because I'm not in the habit of doing so. I can usually tell if something is done by looking at it/timing it. But one method I've heard about is pressing into it and gauging the resistance of the meat. It's well cooked if it looks and feels the same as when you press into the flesh of the heel of your hand. You can also approximate the temperature with your finger tips. If it feels really hot when you press into it, get it off the grill if you prefer low temps. 140 degrees is the temperature of a scalding hot bath--about the limit of what we can tolerate without the temperature becoming too painful. If the interior of your meat reaches that temperature, you're on your way to cooking it well done.

Burgers:

Take raw meat 80/20. Place in a bowl. Add some salt, pepper, dash of liquid smoke. Make patties being careful not to overwork the meat. Place patties in fridge. Start grill. Take patties out. Brush grill with oil. Place burgers on grill and start a stopwatch. When you see blood coming up, flip and cook on the other side 3/4th of the time you did side one. Once done add cheese and close grill for 30 seconds. Place burgers on bun and eat.

Burgers:

Take raw meat 80/20. Place in a bowl. Add some salt, pepper, dash of liquid smoke. Make patties being careful not to overwork the meat. Place patties in fridge. Start grill. Take patties out. Brush grill with oil. Place burgers on grill and start a stopwatch. When you see blood coming up, flip and cook on the other side 3/4th of the time you did side one. Once done add cheese and close grill for 30 seconds. Place burgers on bun and eat.

It's myoglobin, not blood.

• Like 1

How I tell when a chimney of coals is ready is when the flames have reached the top and those coals are lit. Maybe there is a better way, but that one works for me.

I never use a thermometer, mostly because I'm not in the habit of doing so. I can usually tell if something is done by looking at it/timing it. But one method I've heard about is pressing into it and gauging the resistance of the meat. It's well cooked if it looks and feels the same as when you press into the flesh of the heel of your hand. You can also approximate the temperature with your finger tips. If it feels really hot when you press into it, get it off the grill if you prefer low temps. 140 degrees is the temperature of a scalding hot bath--about the limit of what we can tolerate without the temperature becoming too painful. If the interior of your meat reaches that temperature, you're on your way to cooking it well done.

It's on the webbing between your thumb & forefinger.   Rare is how it feels to the outside, work inside and the wellness feels harder.

I take it none of you have worked in an industry that served steak.  Damn.  That's sad.  Free food, and no one will take the job. 

Saves you a buttload of money if you have no children. ;)

• Like 1

Watching videos, taking the temperature and timing it is making it way more complicated than it needs to be .   You're just making burgers.  You should be able to do it visually and with a finger touch to check firmness for the doneness of the burger.  Often there are hotspots so you have to adjust on the fly anyway.  It's not rocket science.

Whatever your burger style is.... Gotta spread a little softened butter on the buns and grill those at the end!

Meathead is the Man!

I love his site.

My old Barbecue Bible is dog-eared, and I still use it, but Meathead has supplanted Raichlen, and his site, and the Pitmaster Club, is my go-to for grilling and BBQ.

I've got a rack of ribs smoking now.

I'm using the 3-2-1 method which is, basically, smoke for 3 hrs, foil for 2 hrs, unwrap and cook for another hour.

I used a basic Memphis-style rub. I smear a little bacon grease and Tabasco jelly on the foil, add a little apple juice, and wrap them them. After 2 hrs, I have to be real careful taking them out, because the meat is falling off the bone. The hour cook after that, firms them back up.

It isn't my preferred way,(I like a little tug to the rib), but it's Mrs Skinsfans favorite style of ribs, they are really good, and it takes the guess-work out of it, because they're always done in 6-hrs.

I will gladly eat anything from a charcoal grill, but I'll always channel my inner Hank Hill and am a propane guy. It's so much easier to cook burgers and steaks. Dealing with charcoal for that would be a PITA.

I have mastered my gas grill, I can smoke on it and keep the temp indirect low for the duration....

4-12iphone031.jpg

4-12iphone050.jpg

• Like 1

Just set up the slow n sear this afternoon.  I got impatient and said **** it and lit a chimney starter full of coals and dumped them in.  Mainly because I was just grilling hot dogs for lunch.

I did toss a brat on there, seared it, then put it on the indirect side and let it cook for while, turning every so often.  Pulled it off and it was perfect.  Juices flowing, smoke ring, etc.  

I used the digital thermometer to measure the grill temp this time, the indirect side was 350 degrees lol.  But that is because I didn't do the proper method of lighting the coals in the slow n sear.  Can't wait to slow cook the pork loin I got tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Just set up the slow n sear this afternoon.  I got impatient and said **** it and lit a chimney starter full of coals and dumped them in.  Mainly because I was just grilling hot dogs for lunch.

I did toss a brat on there, seared it, then put it on the indirect side and let it cook for while, turning every so often.  Pulled it off and it was perfect.  Juices flowing, smoke ring, etc.  

I used the digital thermometer to measure the grill temp this time, the indirect side was 350 degrees lol.  But that is because I didn't do the proper method of lighting the coals in the slow n sear.  Can't wait to slow cook the pork loin I got tomorrow or Monday.

LOL!  You did the proper method for a "Hot and Fast" cook....

• Like 1

5 hours into the cook.  

Smoked 'em 3 hrs.  Smeared a little bacon grease and Tabasco Pepper jelly on 'em, wrapped in foil with a splash of apple juice and cooked for 2 hours.  I just unwrapped them, and they'll go for another hour to firm up.

There's still a lot of charcoal left, in the SnS

13315401_1109129052463295_5987133004831713256382_1109129042463296_54527026715250

I have mastered my gas grill, I can smoke on it and keep the temp indirect low for the duration....

4-12iphone031.jpg

4-12iphone050.jpg

Looks delicious!

Is that an older Genesis?  

I have a Genesis Silver B, from 2001 that's still going strong.  I had to replace the cooking grates last year and the flavorizer bars are shot, but those are easily replaced for ~ $40.00.

• Like 1