Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Yeah. I'll have my meat in the cooking chamber and use the firebox for indirect. I'm leaking on the cooking chamber side. Smoke and heat pours out where the lid closes. Leaking a lot less where the firebox meets the cooking chamber surprisingly enough. But I still plan to put a line of sealant there.

Would silicone work? I think it lets at 450 or something. Maybe a bead around the lid would help. I would lay the bead then close the lid briefly to mold the wet bead to the lid, then raise it back up. When it drys you will have a custom seal. Use wd40 to keep the lid from sticking.

But again, I wonder if all the leakage is by design

You see guys in Janaica and other third world countries doing smokes that would put us all to shame with reclaimed drums, etc, and smoke is leaking everywhere

Maybe you just need more heat and fuel to get the temps you want? I wouldn't mess with the design too much. You have to figure it was designed that way for a reason, or maybe not OLS

Yeah. I'll have my meat in the cooking chamber and use the firebox for indirect. I'm leaking on the cooking chamber side. Smoke and heat pours out where the lid closes. Leaking a lot less where the firebox meets the cooking chamber surprisingly enough. But I still plan to put a line of sealant there.

Not surprising it would be leaking around the lid closure - there's no gasket around it, correct? 

The self-stick Nomex (there are other brands) should do the trick. I would fire up the grill & mark where it is leaking. Then when it cools, go back & put down the gasket, re-light, and see what happens. It will probably take a few attempts to get it all done. BUT, you don't need it to be perfect and probably won't be able to get it to completely stop leaking. And that's okay.

The key is this: Can you hold a temperature - pick a number 225, 250, 325, etc. - for a long period of time (again, pick a number 2, 4, 6, 8 hours)? It doesn't matter that it leaks a bit around the edges as long as the temp holds. On my Akorn, the temp might fluctuate between 240-270 during a 6 hour smoke - wind changes directions, dog farts in the general direction of the smoker, etc. I use the meat thermometer to tell me when it's done. The fluctuation of the temp - within reason - is no cause for concern. 

TBS - Thin Blue Smoke is what you want...

Would silicone work? I think it lets at 450 or something. Maybe a bead around the lid would help. I would lay the bead then close the lid briefly to mold the wet bead to the lid, then raise it back up. When it drys you will have a custom seal. Use wd40 to keep the lid from sticking.

But again, I wonder if all the leakage is by design

You see guys in Janaica and other third world countries doing smokes that would put us all to shame with reclaimed drums, etc, and smoke is leaking everywhere

Maybe you just need more heat and fuel to get the temps you want? I wouldn't mess with the design too much. You have to figure it was designed that way for a reason, or maybe not OLS

Yeah, the smoke has to escape or it could ruin the food.  The majority of it should pump out of the top of the attachment (I would imagine) due to the fact that if it were all forced into the main grill, it would overkill it with smoke.  

Didn't think to ask him about the heat source.  How many coals he is using, etc.  You might be right, he might just need to add more coals or try natural lump coals if he's not already using those.

He should be able to get the smoker attachment side up to 700-800 degrees easy.  I would imagine that right next to that in the main grill he should be getting temps up to 350+ degrees indirectly.  

Not surprising it would be leaking around the lid closure - there's no gasket around it, correct? 

The self-stick Nomex (there are other brands) should do the trick. I would fire up the grill & mark where it is leaking. Then when it cools, go back & put down the gasket, re-light, and see what happens. It will probably take a few attempts to get it all done. BUT, you don't need it to be perfect and probably won't be able to get it to completely stop leaking. And that's okay.

The key is this: Can you hold a temperature - pick a number 225, 250, 325, etc. - for a long period of time (again, pick a number 2, 4, 6, 8 hours)? It doesn't matter that it leaks a bit around the edges as long as the temp holds. On my Akorn, the temp might fluctuate between 240-270 during a 6 hour smoke - wind changes directions, dog farts in the general direction of the smoker, etc. I use the meat thermometer to tell me when it's done. The fluctuation of the temp - within reason - is no cause for concern. 

TBS - Thin Blue Smoke is what you want...

The self stick Nomex Is my plan. I was considering the silicone sealant, but I figure I'll try the gasket first. Been reading on a few sites about COS (Cheap offset smoker) issues, and smoke/heat leaks at the lid is usually the first one to come up. It's due to cheap design more than anything else. The real expensive ones either already come with gaskets or they are designed specifically to be pretty air tight. This is why offset smokers tend to be a pretty debated topic in the BBQ community. Some swear by them, others hate them.

In regards to the heat source, I'm working on it. My first smoke, I got a little too happy with adding wood chunks and got the oversmoked taste y'all are talking about. Mainly because I started trying to compensate for lost smoke. So for my next cook, I went by Zoony's advice and thought less about smoke and more about heat and laid off the chunks a bit. Just used a couple here and there. I started with a full chimney of coals and then added as I saw fit along the way. Which technically SHOULD be enough to get up to the 300 range or so, but I was maxing out at about 235. I keep an oven thermometer inside near where the firebox meets the cooking chamber by the meat to try and get a somewhat accurate reading of where it is where I'm cooking and I just couldn't get the right heat. Next time, I plan to try the "Minion Method" and lay a bed of coals down in the firebox, and then start a chimney. Put the hot coals in, and let them heat the bed of coals already in and see how it works out.

Thanks to Bacteria, You Need to Grill at a Higher Temperature Now

Fire up the grill this summer. Then turn it up a little more.

Researchers at the University of Alberta, led by Dr. Lynn McMullen and Dr. Michael Gänzle, have been heating up strains of E. coli that originated from meat processing plants. Their findings, first reported by the Edmonton Journal, will make you want to leave your burgers on the grill longer than usual.

Ground beef, they found, might not be completely E. coli-free at 160 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the recommended minimum cooking temperature in both the U.S. and Canada.

When Elena Dlusskaya, a graduate student in UAlberta’s Department of Agricultural, Food, and Nutritional Science, found a strain of E. coli that could survive at 140 degrees Fahrenheit for over an hour, neither McMullen nor Gänzle believed her, according to a report from the university. So they tried the experiment again. And again. But the E. coli didn’t flinch.

“These organisms aren’t supposed to survive, but every once in a while they do,” said McMullen. “So we decided to find out why. We looked at the genomes to see what was different.”

The research team identified a group of 16 genes in the lab’s heat-resistant strains. Known as the locus of heat resistance (LHR), this genetic grouping is found in roughly 2 percent of all known forms of E. coli, including pathological strains.

Further experiments showed that some strains containing LHR could even outlast the safe cooking temperature recommended by both the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Health Canada.

“We discovered that some strains of E.coli are very, very heat-resistant and they can survive cooking in a burger to 71 degrees Celsius [160 degrees Fahrenheit],” McMullen told CTV News.

The FDA’s Food Code currently instructs restaurants to heat ground beef to at least 155 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds. The CDC, on the other hand, tells consumers to stick to a single, easy-to-follow standard: 160 degrees with no specific time attached.

Click on the link for the full article

Thanks to Bacteria, You Need to Grill at a Higher Temperature Now

Click on the link for the full article

I can tell you this, I've been to plenty of meat manufacturer's (actually going to one in LA this afternoon) and their controls leave much to be desired. Lot control? Sure, we'll recall everything we made 3 days before and 3 days after that problem lot because we have no idea what went in where. Happens everyday at a sausage/burger plant in the US.

I learned a new word a few years ago at a hot dog/sausage plant - comminuted as in comminuted meat. Mmmmm....

First time slow smoking on an upright charcoal grill over the weekend. Piece of cake. Came out great and a 10.5 lb pork shoulder was gone in about an hour.

We had a whole salmon and had it raw, slow smoked, grilled, and cold smoked over the weekend. Tossed in some fresh green onions and sweet basil along the way. Really hard to beat fresh salmon.

• Like 1

First time slow smoking on an upright charcoal grill over the weekend. Piece of cake. Came out great and a 10.5 lb pork shoulder was gone in about an hour.

We had a whole salmon and had it raw, slow smoked, grilled, and cold smoked over the weekend. Tossed in some fresh green onions and sweet basil along the way. Really hard to beat fresh salmon.

Salmon is one that I love to grill. I have a couple cedar planks that I love to use when I can. Haven't tried smoking it yet though. Definitely plan to try soon.

My thought when I read that was, who sticks a thermometer in a burger to see what temperature it is?  I've never done that and have no idea what temperature any burger I've cooked was.  And I'm not about to start making all my burgers well done now.  I'll just risk it, I guess.

• Like 3

Trying my Weber Kettle with the slow and sear for the first time tonight. Cooking a simple dinner. BAked Potatoes, Steak, and some bone in chicken breasts. Have the wireless thermometer with the a meat probe and grate probe and so far it's going great. Just put the chicken on.

Started with a chimney of charcoal, about 45 minutes into the potatoes added some more charcoal. Indirect is rockin these chicken breasts.

Turned out great. Nice crispy chicken skin, not burnt. Steaks were spot on. One Med two Med well. Loving the slow and sear! Next up a slow cook!

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

A few guys, on one of my BBQ boards, swears by the gaskets found here:  http://bbqgaskets.com/

A few guys, on one of my BBQ boards, swears by the gaskets found here:  http://bbqgaskets.com/

The Lavalock self stick is what I'm planning to get. Hoping to get it this week. Going to try a local hardware store or two to see if they have it so I can put it on and let it set before the weekend. Planning on either a pork butt, or maybe some country ribs on Saturday for the USA vs Paraguay game.

Speaking of which, are the beef country ribs, bone in or out, worth the time to smoke? I've grilled them before and they've been great. Wondering if I should just stick to that, or give marinating and smoking them a try.

The Lavalock self stick is what I'm planning to get. Hoping to get it this week. Going to try a local hardware store or two to see if they have it so I can put it on and let it set before the weekend. Planning on either a pork butt, or maybe some country ribs on Saturday for the USA vs Paraguay game.

Speaking of which, are the beef country ribs, bone in or out, worth the time to smoke? I've grilled them before and they've been great. Wondering if I should just stick to that, or give marinating and smoking them a try.

Can't help you there. I've only had them at BBQ joints, and they were fantastic, but I've never cooked them.

I can never find beef ribs as meaty as the ones they serve at the BBQ place. Must be special order. If you're in west Texas (or thereabouts) beef ribs and brisket are the bellwether of a BBQ place.  Pork is an aside.  

The skinny ones I can buy at the store are suitable for grilling but they dry out when you attempt to smoke them.  They're good on the grill though, and always a major treat for the dogs.  

• Like 1

I can never find beef ribs as meaty as the ones they serve at the BBQ place. Must be special order. If you're in west Texas (or thereabouts) beef ribs and brisket are the bellwether of a BBQ place.  Pork is an aside.  

The skinny ones I can buy at the store are suitable for grilling but they dry out when you attempt to smoke them.  They're good on the grill though, and always a major treat for the dogs.  

That's what I feared/figured. I've grilled them and they've been great. Especially the boneless ones. But smoking seems like it might be lot of time and energy only for them to end up dry.

• Like 1

Last night, I broke up a few Steak-umm's in a skillet, cooked with some onions and topped with cheese, then stuffed into a pocket pita. 

Steak-in-a-sack.

I love Steak-Umms. Have you tried the Walmart (Great Value) brand version? I actually like them better since it's compressed shaved steak instead of a flat piece. More versatile that way.

• Like 1

I love Steak-Umms. Have you tried the Walmart (Great Value) brand version? I actually like them better since it's compressed shaved steak instead of a flat piece. More versatile that way.

I haven't tried the Great Value ones, but there's another company that makes those same type of steaks.  I absolutely love those!

• Like 1

Just tossed a couple of pork loins on the grill.  Seasoned them with the Weber Steak 'N Chop dry rub.  Tossed some hickory chunks over the coals, seared them nicely and now they are indirect cooking until they are ready.  

Gonna eat them with some grilled corn, green beans and a baked potato.  Man I'm loving this new charcoal grill.

• Like 5

Just tossed a couple of pork loins on the grill.  Seasoned them with the Weber Steak 'N Chop dry rub.  Tossed some hickory chunks over the coals, seared them nicely and now they are indirect cooking until they are ready.  

Gonna eat them with some grilled corn, green beans and a baked potato.  Man I'm loving this new charcoal grill.

I understand the convenience of the gas grills. Always have. But I just couldn't do it. I love the charcoal flavor more than anything but I also enjoy the process and possibilities. Some folks would rather just step out, throw some burgers on, turn off the grill and call it a day. I get that. To me, there's just something fun about doing it "the old fashioned way". It's more labor intensive. But definitely a labor of love.

My wife and I were watching Anthony Bourdain the other night (love his shows), and he was somewhere they were doing pit BBQ. They were showing the process and the guy was talking about the long nights/really early mornings and work involved with running one of those true BBQ pits and some of the big competition rigs. My wife agreed almost instantly when I told her that I would love to do that.

• Like 2

I understand the convenience of the gas grills. Always have. But I just couldn't do it. I love the charcoal flavor more than anything but I also enjoy the process and possibilities. Some folks would rather just step out, throw some burgers on, turn off the grill and call it a day. I get that. To me, there's just something fun about doing it "the old fashioned way". It's more labor intensive. But definitely a labor of love.

My wife and I were watching Anthony Bourdain the other night (love his shows), and he was somewhere they were doing pit BBQ. They were showing the process and the guy was talking about the long nights/really early mornings and work involved with running one of those true BBQ pits and some of the big competition rigs. My wife agreed almost instantly when I told her that I would love to do that.

Gas is great for after work cooking. Charcoal is great for weekend cooking. With a 45 minute commute, a 5 year old, and going to school at night, I just don't have 2 hours to play with at night. Weekends are a different story. I love charcoal cooking, but gas is so much more convenient for weekday cooking. And I grill almost every night.

• Like 2

Gas is great for after work cooking. Charcoal is great for weekend cooking. With a 45 minute commute, a 5 year old, and going to school at night, I just don't have 2 hours to play with at night. Weekends are a different story. I love charcoal cooking, but gas is so much more convenient for weekday cooking. And I grill almost every night.

Same story for me.  Gas is for getting a meal ready, charcoal is for having a bbq as an event in it's own right.  Gas gives you the caveman feel and the great flavor of cooking on a fire without the fuss of a fire.  

Yeah, I do have to concede that. Long commute myself which makes it tough to manage the time to do charcoal grilling. Lol If I didn't enjoy it as much as I did I wouldn't try so hard to find the time. It's hard enough carving out the time to prep food for cooking, let alone that AND prep a fire so I'll be able to cook.