Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Haven't made the mods yet. So no update on that.

I am however planning on doing a brisket myself this weekend for Father's Day. Having my parents over. I've done them in the oven and had them come out good. But this will be my first smoked brisket. Any tips to know specifically? Planning to go by a recipe on Amazing Ribs or BBQ Bible most likely. I plan to mop. And I plan to have a feaux Cambrio set up and ready.

Honestly?

I wouldn't try out your first smoked brisket your parents. Briskets take a long, long time and, without fail,end up taking a couple of hours longer than you anticipate. No use having the folks starve ;)

I suggest pork ribs, as they are much more manageable, time-wise, or steaks. Do a couple of briskets on your own, and get them down. If you must do a brisket, get that thing in the smoker, real, real early. Super early. Better done early, as it'll keep for hours in the cambri. Skip the mop. There's little benefit and, every time you lift the lid, and mop, it adds to the cooking time. Foiling does help muscle through the stall. JMHO.

• Like 2

Looking for recipe ideas that would be realistic when camping. I will have a Weber smokey Joe tabletop (I think it's 18") and a propane stove. Also a gas oven that doesn't work very well

Anyway Id love to hear suggestions!

BTW, just got back from Houston I am officially a fan of Mambo sauce + beer (dos Equis seems to work best). I have a bottle and I'm quickly going through it. Very refreshing especially in this heat

The Smokey Joe is only 14.5"  and there ain't much to do on that, except direct grilling the basics.   They're just too darn small.

If you have the Jumbo Joe, which is an 18" grill,  now you're talking!  Here's a site, with great ideas.  http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/

I own a Jumbo Joe, and use it when I don't feel like firing up the 22" kettle.  It also serves as extra grillspace, at our tailgate parties.

For the propane stove, if you feel like packing some cleaned, shelled, tail-on shrimp, a little minced garlic and some cheap olive oil,  and a  lemon, you can make scampi.    Use one of those cheapo Coleman camping pans, (you know, the black ones with the collapsible handles that they sell at K-mart for $6.00.)    

Heat up a pancake size puddle of olive oil. When it shimmers, toss in a fork full of minced garlic.  When it's sizzling, toss in a handful of shrimp and stir til it's almost done, (opaque), remove from the heat, squeeze some lemon juice on it, salt and pepper.   I also use some cayenne, at the end, but I don't know how much crap you're packing.    It's not a 5-star restaurant version, but it's damn good, and easy to make.   I've made ****-tons of it at the ES tailgates, and everyone loves it.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

Pork tenderloin? Haven't heard of doing that. It could be done safely I think if you're careful and go low and slow until the interior is up to temp, but it honestly doesn't sound good enough to me to be worth the trouble. Stuffed roasts are some of the hardest things to cook properly even for trained chefs.

Has anybody done that cream cheese stuffed tenderloin? That seems like a food born illness waiting to happen. But I can be a pushy about that stuff sometimes

I did one of those for Christmas eve a couple of years ago. Fileted the pork loin, mixed spinach with cream cheese & other herbs, spread it across the pork loin, rolled it up & sealed it with metal skewers (string would work, too), S&P&Onion/Garlic powder, tossed it on the grill. The inside will leak out of the ends so make sure it's sealed tightly. Before I sliced it, I put a skewer through it about every inch & then sliced between the skewers to keep the serving from unrolling.  It was good. And the crowd was impressed with the presentation. 

Like a roulade? Or do you mean just wrapping the meat around a core of cheese?

I've never made either but I watched my buddy (who is a chef) make a pork roulade before. It wasn't too bad for him. We cooked it in the oven though.

I've made salmon fillets stuffed with crab before. There I just made an incision in the middle of the filet and then opened it up and basically filled it with a ball of crab salad. That was fantastic.

Honestly?

I wouldn't try out your first smoked brisket your parents. Briskets take a long, long time and, without fail,end up taking a couple of hours longer than you anticipate. No use having the folks starve ;)

I suggest pork ribs, as they are much more manageable, time-wise, or steaks. Do a couple of briskets on your own, and get them down. If you must do a brisket, get that thing in the smoker, real, real early. Super early. Better done early, as it'll keep for hours in the cambri. Skip the mop. There's little benefit and, every time you lift the lid, and mop, it adds to the cooking time. Foiling does help muscle through the stall. JMHO.

Lol My thought was that it might be a more forgiving audience ;) But then again, dad can be quite the critic.

I was thinking that since I have the cooking surface space, I might throw something in with it just in case the brisket doesn't come out as I want it to. Thinking if I can find a small Boston Butt I might do that since AmazingRibs calls for a cook temp for low and slow around 225 with some margin for error on the high end. Figuring if I can keep a temp between 225-240 throughout I can pull it off. But considering that my wife is making mac and cheese and I was thinking of doing doing some kind of slow cook beans, we might be alright in the having plenty of food department.

Yeah, I'm already mentally preparing myself for the time factor. Planning to be up pretty much at the crack of dawn to get it started. Firing up the smoker no later than 6am. Planning on allotting myself at least 10-12hrs or so to allow for margin for error.

This is all the ideal, perfect world plan. Obviously there will be some curveballs in there. I'm looking at it with the "Never know if you don't try" just go after it type attitude. Figure the absolute worst case scenario is a brisket that isn't very good. Lol and honestly, I'd take a mediocre brisket over a whole lot of great other meals.

Lol My thought was that it might be a more forgiving audience ;) But then again, dad can be quite the critic.

I was thinking that since I have the cooking surface space, I might throw something in with it just in case the brisket doesn't come out as I want it to. Thinking if I can find a small Boston Butt I might do that since AmazingRibs calls for a cook temp for low and slow around 225 with some margin for error on the high end. Figuring if I can keep a temp between 225-240 throughout I can pull it off. But considering that my wife is making mac and cheese and I was thinking of doing doing some kind of slow cook beans, we might be alright in the having plenty of food department.

Yeah, I'm already mentally preparing myself for the time factor. Planning to be up pretty much at the crack of dawn to get it started. Firing up the smoker no later than 6am. Planning on allotting myself at least 10-12hrs or so to allow for margin for error.

This is all the ideal, perfect world plan. Obviously there will be some curveballs in there. I'm looking at it with the "Never know if you don't try" just go after it type attitude. Figure the absolute worst case scenario is a brisket that isn't very good. Lol and honestly, I'd take a mediocre brisket over a whole lot of great other meals.

If you want to do something easy, indirect cook/smoke some pork loins.  I use one chimney of regular kingsford charcoal, put it on the direct side after 10 from lighting it.  Toss one or two hickory wood chunks on the coals.  Personally, I'd suggest one big chunk so it doesn't get too smokey.  

Cook time is around 20 minutes per pound (maybe a little more, or less depending on the temps) to get to the 160 degree internal temps.  The one I did last night was about 2 1/2 lbs.  As good as the one I did (was pre-marinaded with applewood bacon on it), I'd suggest that you get some plain ones and do a dry rub if you want to add hickory smoke.  I didn't try it last night, but I think the hickory smoke might clash with those pre-marinaded ones.

As soon as you put the coals down, sear it on the direct side, all of it, including the edges.  Then move it to the indirect side, pop an internal probe thermometer in it, close the hatch and let it cook.  Turn it a couple of times throughout the cook.  I even went back and stuck it on the direct heat side again for a minute rotating it, then back to the indirect side the rest of the cook.  

Pull it off depending on how you want it cooked.  I pulled mine at 160 degrees, covered it in foil and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.  It was still juicy as hell.  

You might want to even pull it at 155 degrees internally, cover it for 10 more minutes as it will still cook from the juices inside.   I've done 4 pork loins now and all of them have turned out really good.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

What do you use for your pork tenderloin marinade? I've tried several, never found one I truly loved.

It might just be the cut of meat though. No fat at all... Maybe I should wrap it in bacon

The one we had last night was the Smithfield ones that was sealed up.  It was the applewood smoked bacon one, but it said it was a dry rub w/bacon (I thought it had an actual marinade though):

Smithfield_Product_ApplewoodSmokedBaconP

The ones we got from the fresh case we just did a dry rub on them with the Weber Steak 'N Chops seasoning.  It has sea salt, garlic, sugar, lemon, onion and some other spices in it.  

The Smithfield one was the best we have made so far.  I'd definitely recommend wrapping it in bacon.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

The one we had last night was the Smithfield ones that was sealed up.  It was the applewood smoked bacon one, but it said it was a dry rub w/bacon (I thought it had an actual marinade though):

The ones we got from the fresh case we just did a dry rub on them with the Weber Steak 'N Chops seasoning.  It has sea salt, garlic, sugar, lemon, onion and some other spices in it.  

The Smithfield one was the best we have made so far.  I'd definitely recommend wrapping it in bacon.  

I like these, but the salt content is astronomical. I swell up like a dead bullfrog when I eat them. I *try* to stay away from manufacturers seasoned meat/fish. Lots of chemicals & way too much salt. 

I've had a an almost impossible time trying to season pork with anything but a dry rub. Marinate overnight with all different types of fluids & I get nothing. I stick with dry rubs or put on homemade bbq sauce at the end.

• Like 1

What do you use for your pork tenderloin marinade? I've tried several, never found one I truly loved.

It might just be the cut of meat though. No fat at all... Maybe I should wrap it in bacon

Same here.

I use the old standby, Italian dressing. ;)

I also use Walkerswood Jamaican jerk seasoning. It's a paste, and a little goes a long way. It's the real deal, made in Jamaica. A cook in Jamaica told me to use it, instead of making it myself. Has all the same ingredients as homemade. It's easy to find in many grocery stores in the international aisle.

I saw Alton Brown whip up a marinade, with lime juice, garlic,olive oil, salt, pepper, etc. He reserved some.of tge marinade, and marinated it overnight. Here's where it's interesting. After grilling it, he made a "canoe" out of foil, put the tenderloin in it,poured.the marinade over it, sealed the pouch, and let it go for a few more minutes. He pulled it off, at 140, (I pull at 145).

He claims that the marinade penetrates, because the heat has affected the fibers, in some way, that pulls the marinade into the meat.

I'm going to try that.

I dry brine them, overnight, and use a Memphis-style rub, without salt.

Many people screw them up, because they overcook them and dry them out. I always use a thermometer with pork. Not so.much for food safety, but for taste.

I bought a pack of sliced porkchops and used Grillmates "backyard brew" dry rub, and then under the "suggestions" section it said to add mustard and honey and marinate over night so I did that, and the pork chops turn out great!

Thats what we did to our pork chops.  Cept we used the Weber dry seasoning, tossed them in a ziplock bag with dijon mustard and let them go overnight.  

I like these, but the salt content is astronomical. I swell up like a dead bullfrog when I eat them. I *try* to stay away from manufacturers seasoned meat/fish. Lots of chemicals & way too much salt.

I've had a an almost impossible time trying to season pork with anything but a dry rub. Marinate overnight with all different types of fluids & I get nothing. I stick with dry rubs or put on homemade bbq sauce at the end.

See response, to Zoony. Alton Brown reserves marinade, and, at the end of a cook, he puts the tenderloin in an aluminum foil "canoe", pours the reserved marinade over it, and seals it tight. He claims that it helps pull the marinade into the meat. Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

If you want to do something easy, indirect cook/smoke some pork loins. I use one chimney of regular kingsford charcoal, put it on the direct side after 10 from lighting it. Toss one or two hickory wood chunks on the coals. Personally, I'd suggest one big chunk so it doesn't get too smokey.

Cook time is around 20 minutes per pound (maybe a little more, or less depending on the temps) to get to the 160 degree internal temps. The one I did last night was about 2 1/2 lbs. As good as the one I did (was pre-marinaded with applewood bacon on it), I'd suggest that you get some plain ones and do a dry rub if you want to add hickory smoke. I didn't try it last night, but I think the hickory smoke might clash with those pre-marinaded ones.

As soon as you put the coals down, sear it on the direct side, all of it, including the edges. Then move it to the indirect side, pop an internal probe thermometer in it, close the hatch and let it cook. Turn it a couple of times throughout the cook. I even went back and stuck it on the direct heat side again for a minute rotating it, then back to the indirect side the rest of the cook.

Pull it off depending on how you want it cooked. I pulled mine at 160 degrees, covered it in foil and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. It was still juicy as hell.

You might want to even pull it at 155 degrees internally, cover it for 10 more minutes as it will still cook from the juices inside. I've done 4 pork loins now and all of them have turned out really good.

Try pulling at 145, or even 150, if you can't bring yourself to eat pork tinged with pink. 145 is safe, and a lot more tender than 155-160.

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with an M1 grill?  Looks great - a combination of direct heat with height adjustable charcoal tray as well as a firebox for indrect smoking.

https://mgrills.com/products/m1

Got great reviews on amazingribs.com but for that much $$, need some more info...

I've been considering a hastybake grill for a while.  This looks a bit better, but tough call...

Anyone have any experience with an M1 grill?  Looks great - a combination of direct heat with height adjustable charcoal tray as well as a firebox for indrect smoking.

Got great reviews on amazingribs.com but for that much $$, need some more info...

I've been considering a hastybake grill for a while.  This looks a bit better, but tough call...

I don't know anything about the M1 or the Hastybake grill. But, if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd buy the XL Big Green Egg. It does it all, no questions asked, has tons of accessories, & I've never read a bad thing about it. 

I usually don't marinate tenderloin, but instead rub it in olive oil, salt, fennel seed, granulated garlic, and thyme before I put it on the grill. Maybe some citrus and/or worcestershire. Sometimes I'll go with soy, ginger, garlic, and sugar instead.

But I have marinated them before. I saw this recipe on America's Test Kitchen one time where the guys flattened out the tenderloins into steaks and then marinated them with garlic and limejuice and some other stuff. Here is the recipe, but you have to be a member: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7849-garlic-lime-grilled-pork-tenderloin-steaks

Basically you reserve half of your marinade to use as a sauce to pour over the pork when you're done. The sauce:

- Garlic

- Honey

- Lime zest

- Lime juice

- Oil

- Salt

- Fish sauce

Then when you're making the reserved part into a sauce after grilling, add mayo and cilantro and then microwave it to get it warm.

Also they cut their tenderloins in half and then pounded them out into flat steaks about an inch or two thick so that they would cook more evenly. I did it too when I made the recipe and it was fine. I don't see that as necessary though. I've never had too many problems grilling tenderloin. I make a two zone fire, sear it on both sides for a couple of minutes, then move it to the indirect zone and put the top on and let it go for a while.

EDIT: Whups I meant garlic cloves, not cloves. Fixed.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

I posted earlier in the thread about using soy sauce, crushed pineapple and ginger.  Have you tried that?

Looks nice, but unless I just constantly needed more space, in the charcoal/wood style I would always pick a Weber Kettle with a Slow and Sear. The biggest things in smoking are temp control and length of burn. That combo nails those.