Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I grilled burgers and corn for my GF's father on Sunday. He wanted simple, and it tasted good, but I still made a steak sauce for the burgers based on an America's Test Kitchen recipe. It's made out of beef broth, tomato paste, raisins, butter, garlic, worcestershire, and balsamic. Brushed it onto both sides of the patties before I grilled them and then poured a little over them as they were plated. The end results were great.

I tried grilling the corn in the husk instead of taking them out and putting them in foil packets with butter and garlic like I used to do. Much easier this way, and it steamed the corn really well. I pulled the husks down without taking them off, removed the silk, folded the husks back onto the ear, then soaked it in water for a while. Direct heat for five minutes on both sides, then indirect heat for another 15 minutes or so.

I've done it that way before (the corn) and I like it too.

I typically break the ears of corn in half, wrap in foil with butter, salt, pepper, and Old Bay and put them over direct for about 10 mins or so and then move them to the upper grill shelf while waiting for anything else to finish up. Comes out good.

Another way to do corn when you can't grill, and are more concerned about flavor than the healthy aspect lol...

Boil a pot of water you can fit the corn into. Add a cup of milk, a stick of butter, and your corn. Cook for about 20mins or so, it's very forgiving on time so if you go a bit longer it's not too bad. But keep an eye on it because too long can make it soggy.

Something I recently tried and really liked. If you're a fan of avocados give this a shot...

Split the avocado, leaving the skin on and discarding the pit. Use a brush and put a light glaze of olive oil inside the avocados, season with some salt, pepper, and anything else you'd like. On the tail end of a grilling session, put the avocados over direct heat, rinds facing up. Cook for a few minutes, checking frequently. Pull off when hot and you get some nice grill marks. Scoop a mix of diced tomato and minced garlic into the avocado like it's a bowl. Add cheese if you'd like. Comes out delicious.

• Like 2

Jpage-

Gonna have to give that avocado thing a try, sounds awesome. Not a big tomato guy so I'll try to come up with a good alternative. Maybe diced peppers.

Also, Old Bay with butter on corn is the ONLY way to eat corn. I'll never go back.

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

I was hesitant about it at first when I heard about it. But figured, what the hell. It's interesting because it adds a different texture. The surface of the avocado gets this like almost crunchy texture to it while the rest stays in that nice soft form. Yeah, peppers would be good. Or salsa.

I think getting those silks off before you cook the ears is key because I could see that being a real chore to do when they are steaming hot.

I would experiment with the direct heat/indirect cook times. The only reason I did about five minutes of direct on each side was because it was an easy to remember number and that's about how long it took before the husks really started to char. The corn came out very moist and tender this way. If you want the corn to be dryer and more roasted, then I think you might have to do all direct heat. And you might even have to take the husks off at some point during the cook time because they seem to form a very effective moisture barrier between the element and the corn.

All I do is cut the silks off, at the top, soak 'em in water, for about an hour and throw them on a hot grill for 25 minutes, turning 3 times.

There's no need to pull the silk ahead of time, because the silk pulls off quite easily. If you're worries aboit the heat, wear a grill glove, or oven mitt in one hand, while peeling with the other, before serving.

To free up grill space, I make it ahead of time, and toss the cooked corn in a cooler, which keeps it piping hot for hours.

Serve it up with softened butter, and Old Bay. I've been grilling it like this for 30+ yrs. The corn turns out great, every time, and it's super-easy.

Occasionally, I'll try something different, like husking the corn first,charring it, using packets, butter, (or compound butters), but I always fall back on the method I described, above, because it's so easy and good.

• Like 1

One thing I love from an overall standpoint in regards to cooking is a good "All day" cook. Whether it be starting in the early morning firing up the smoker for a warm Spring/Summer day, or prepping a good pot roast, chilli, stew, or soup in the colder months. There's just something about those long cooks that I really enjoy. Getting all the ingredients out over morning coffee and light breakfast (Being in it for the long hall, I'm particularly partial to slipping a little bourbon in said coffee to start off right lol. Hell I'm not going anywhere.) Cooking things in steps. Creating waves of scents throughout the house as the dish comes together. It obviously sucks when you put the time and effort into something like that and it comes out bad. But the reward far outweighs that when it's good.

Anyone have a good "Sunday Sauce" recipe? I can make a pretty good meat sauce for spaghetti in the short term. But one thing I'm missing in my cooking repertoire is a good all day pasta sauce. I have nothing against the jarred stuff. I use it all the time, and will continue to. But nothing beats nice fresh cut ingredients and a homemade sauce.

• Like 3

One thing I love from an overall standpoint in regards to cooking is a good "All day" cook. Whether it be starting in the early morning firing up the smoker for a warm Spring/Summer day, or prepping a good pot roast, chilli, stew, or soup in the colder months. There's just something about those long cooks that I really enjoy. Getting all the ingredients out over morning coffee and light breakfast (Being in it for the long hall, I'm particularly partial to slipping a little bourbon in said coffee to start off right lol. Hell I'm not going anywhere.) Cooking things in steps. Creating waves of scents throughout the house as the dish comes together. It obviously sucks when you put the time and effort into something like that and it comes out bad. But the reward far outweighs that when it's good.

Anyone have a good "Sunday Sauce" recipe? I can make a pretty good meat sauce for spaghetti in the short term. But one thing I'm missing in my cooking repertoire is a good all day pasta sauce. I have nothing against the jarred stuff. I use it all the time, and will continue to. But nothing beats nice fresh cut ingredients and a homemade sauce.

That is what BBQ, and cooking, is all about.

My Italian Grandmother would turn over in her grave, but I don't have a good recipe for sauce.

• Like 1

Pork Belly?

How do you prep and grill/smoke it?

Haven't done it but my approach would be a slow cook to render some fat and take on some smoke then finish at high temp to sear and get the outside crisped up. Edited by HOF44

Porchetta. This was one of the best things I've made. Amazing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/all-belly-porchetta-recipe-italian-roast-pork.html

It looks like a miniature, workable, delectable (non-evil) version of suckling pig.  Wow does that look wonderful, I'm going to have to see where I can find some pork belly.

Edited by KAOSkins

Marinating pork belly in soy sauce, garlic powder, lime juice & a splash of hot sauce. Gonna grill over charcoal, with a chunk of apple wood.

I also have some nice lobster tails. I made some herbed butter with chives, garlic, tarrogon & pepper. I'm going to split the shells, skewer them,. brush with olive oil, grill and finish with the butter.