Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I'm going to assume this means the membrane on the underside of the bones?

I typically just slit mine between each bone because for some reason I just can't ever get it to peel off properly. Lol all the videos and TV shows and stuff make it look so effin easy, but every time I try it comes off in little itty bitty pieces that would take hours to do.

Yes.

The trick is to use a paper towels. I use a paring knife, to get it started, and then grip the membrane with a paper towel. It works, MOST, of the time. Sometimes, I do say "**** it!", because my fingers get cold. If at all possible, I remove it, because it allows the rub to flavor the meat, which is otherwise blocked by the silverskin, because it's not very permeable.

• Like 1

Yes.

The trick is to use a paper towels. I use a paring knife, to get it started, and then grip the membrane with a paper towel. It works, MOST, of the time. Sometimes, I do say "**** it!", because my fingers get cold. If at all possible, I remove it, because it allows the rub to flavor the meat, which is otherwise blocked by the silverskin, because it's not very permeable.

I'm going to keep working at it. But so far doing slits on and in between the bones has worked pretty well. I also like to put the slab over direct heat (My firebox has a grate) for a very short time to try and burn/melt it a bit. Worked for me so far. I've done a couple slabs on the smoker now and have yet to be disappointed.

My Craycort cast iron grill grate just arrived.  Went with this one:  http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/22-5-cast-iron-grate.html 

I didn't order any extra attachments yet, but some of them seem pretty cool, like the Chicken Seat:  http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/chickenseat.html

I like the fact it sits down a few inches lower so you can ensure the top closes.  Might pick that up in a few weeks.  Gotta pace myself so the wife doesn't have a cow on how much I'm buying lol

I'm going to assume this means the membrane on the underside of the bones?

I typically just slit mine between each bone because for some reason I just can't ever get it to peel off properly. Lol all the videos and TV shows and stuff make it look so effin easy, but every time I try it comes off in little itty bitty pieces that would take hours to do.

Yeah that's what it was. I started to take it off but that was exactly what I ran into also. I figure whoever butchered it got most of it off and it was so thin that I didn't think it would cause the meat to curl up like it does on a loin.

"silverskin?"

100% of it should've been removed, before the cook ;)

Great story, glad it worked out.

How's your friends hands?

I imagine they hurt pretty bad for the rest of the day. But he's done far worse to himself. I just wish I had been there to witness the moment. The point when I got back was when he was running around in a panic, looking for meats to throw on the grill. It was like a handful of sausages, frozen ground beef, and a random pork tenderloin.

It kind of reminds me of the time when another friend of mine cooked this wonderful and expensive roast for a big family gathering for Christmas dinner, only to find after the guests had arrived that their dog had snatched the roast from the counter and dragged it off and eaten it.

I imagine they hurt pretty bad for the rest of the day. But he's done far worse to himself. I just wish I had been there to witness the moment. The point when I got back was when he was running around in a panic, looking for meats to throw on the grill. It was like a handful of sausages, frozen ground beef, and a random pork tenderloin.

It kind of reminds me of the time when another friend of mine cooked this wonderful and expensive roast for a big family gathering for Christmas dinner, only to find after the guests had arrived that their dog had snatched the roast from the counter and dragged it off and eaten it.

That happened to me one year with the turkey. Golden retriever yanked it off the table

Sadly he didn't even get to enjoy it. The crash was so loud he secreted his anal glands and hid under the bed. Good times

• Like 2

Question guys.  I just got my cast iron grate and charcoal baskets the other day.  Gonna cook some wings tonight, indirect.  Since the charcoal baskets I have are curved to fit the outer edges of the grate.  

Is it better to put one on each side opposite from each other where the direct heat is on the outer edges, indirect in the center of the grill?

Or should I put them together where it forms more of an oval and put to one side of the grill for direct and the other side indirect?

Or does it really not matter at all?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

I would put them on the outside flush against the sides of the grill and leave the middle for indirect heat. I believe it's a more efficient use of your space that way. Otherwise I don't think you'll have a very large space for your indirect cooking.

That's what I was thinking.  I've been used to just dumping the coals on one side in no baskets, but it looks like it wouldn't be as efficient if I try and cram both baskets onto one side.

I never post in this thread for some reason. Grilling chicken breasts marinated with various herbs, garlic, lemon pepper, maybe some red pepper. Friggin veggie stir fry on the stove. Lettus is my fave. I rip a ton of it up with my hands in to the hot pan with olive oil and almost any random marinade. Also making some mashed potatoes with garlic. I shall be farting good later on.

First beer down, bout 4 more to go before I get started with the food. Life is good.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

Embarrassed............I pulled off the total newb/rookie move tonight.  I've literally never done this before.  I was all pumped about cooking on my new grate, charcoal baskets, etc.  

So I fill both baskets up, put at opposite sides of the grill, indirect heat in middle.  I put my thermometer on the indirect side to monitor the grill grate temp.  I go inside and the damn grate never gets above 295.  I'm cooking wings, so I want my temps at 350 min to 400 degrees.  

It just never climbed.  So I get pissed, I dump both baskets of coals out and put them on one side and dump some lump coals over them.  Five to ten mins later, same thing, won't even hit 300 degrees.  I'm like how long does it take a cast iron to heat up.  Start google searching stuff.  Then realize I had left the damn bottom vent in the fully closed position lol

I really need to start before I've had 10 beers.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 4

Embarrassed............I pulled off the total newb/rookie move tonight. I've literally never done this before. I was all pumped about cooking on my new grate, charcoal baskets, etc.

So I fill both baskets up, put at opposite sides of the grill, indirect heat in middle. I put my thermometer on the indirect side to monitor the grill grate temp. I go inside and the damn grate never gets above 295. I'm cooking wings, so I want my temps at 350 min to 400 degrees.

It just never climbed. So I get pissed, I dump both baskets of coals out and put them on one side and dump some lump coals over them. Five to ten mins later, same thing, won't even hit 300 degrees. I'm like how long does it take a cast iron to heat up. Start google searching stuff. Then realize I had left the damn bottom vent in the fully closed position lol

I really need to start before I've had 10 beers.

Been there, done that!

When using charcoal baskets,(in a Weber kettle), there's really no need to monitor grate temps.

That's fine, for "low and slow", but not necessary for the majority of indirect cooks.

Most of the time, you should leave all of the vents wide open. That's what the instructions that come with the Weber kettle states, and it's always worked for me,(at least for the past 30+ years ;) )

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

My new grill still isn't here. True value says 3-8 days to ship to store. I could have ordered and received it 3 consecutive times from amazon by now and it would have came to my house.

Anyways, finally went to the local butcher. Not only does their meat look much better, it's actually cheaper. That's the best bacon I've ever had. It didn't even shrink much when I cooked it, maybe 5%?

Wanted to grill some ribs. But I wanted beef ribs. Wound up with short ribs. Now they're braising in the oven in red wine and vegetable stock. They smell delicous.

Can you smoke or grill short ribs? I thought I made a mistake so I just looked up a braising recipe.

Edited by tshile

I'm stuck without a grill until October :( - had to move into an apartment until house is ready and grill is at the in laws (not the same as having it conveniently right outside your door). not too thrilled about missing the first quarter of the season without a grill...

I'm stuck without a grill until October :( - had to move into an apartment until house is ready and grill is at the in laws (not the same as having it conveniently right outside your door). not too thrilled about missing the first quarter of the season without a grill...

We'll be doing the same thing shortly...

Well, in like a year or two. But yeah. It'll be worth it.

We'll be doing the same thing shortly...

Well, in like a year or two. But yeah. It'll be worth it.

yeah that's what I keep telling myself.

What grill did ya end up going with?

I'll have to check out the local butchers also. Just started hitting more of the locals veggies and they've been cheaper, seem to last longer and just taste better

Getting fresh tomatoes out of the garden. Made BLTs the other night and making them again tonight

Trust me it's better than whatever youre having :D

And +1 on bottom vent. I think we've all done it before

I'm growing Hungarian wax peppers, cayenne peppers & my standard sage, Thai basil, Italian basil, thyme, & rosemary. I've already made 1 large jar of pickled wax peppers with some cayenne tossed into bring the heat. Next batch is probably 2 weeks away. Drying the cayenne to grind up & will also make Jamaican hot sauce with it & some habaneros. Found a local guy who will sell me them to me for $4/LB.

****ing squirrels steal the tomatoes so I don't bother....

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

Getting fresh tomatoes out of the garden. Made BLTs the other night and making them again tonight

Trust me it's better than whatever youre having :D

And +1 on bottom vent. I think we've all done it before

I don't know, Man....

I have a pork loin, lightly sprinkled, lightly, with some, "Big James Pork Rub", wrapped with bacon, and in the smoker with a small chunk of apple.wood.

Dessert, is going to be a whole, rotisserie grilled pineapple, basted with a butter, brown sugar, rum glaze.

I win ;)

Well, kind of. My tomatoes aren't ready, but my cukes are kicking ass, so we're having cucumber salad...

• Like 1