Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I posted earlier in the thread about using soy sauce, crushed pineapple and ginger. Have you tried that?

No never tried it

Anyone have any experience with an M1 grill? Looks great - a combination of direct heat with height adjustable charcoal tray as well as a firebox for indrect smoking.

https://mgrills.com/products/m1

Got great reviews on amazingribs.com but for that much $$, need some more info...

I've been considering a hastybake grill for a while. This looks a bit better, but tough call...

If you want the best get a pellet setup

Anyone have any experience with an M1 grill? Looks great - a combination of direct heat with height adjustable charcoal tray as well as a firebox for indrect smoking.

https://mgrills.com/products/m1

Got great reviews on amazingribs.com but for that much $$, need some more info...

I've been considering a hastybake grill for a while. This looks a bit better, but tough call...

If you want the best get a pellet setup

What do you use for your pork tenderloin marinade? I've tried several, never found one I truly loved.

It might just be the cut of meat though. No fat at all... Maybe I should wrap it in bacon

I do them in evoo, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and green thai curry paste.  Pat dry, cook until they're nice and crusty on the outside and serve with peanut sauce - satay without the sticks.  

Edited by KAOSkins

I do them in evoo, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and green thai curry paste.  Pat dry, cook until they're nice and crusty on the outside and serve with peanut sauce - satay without the sticks.

Skinsfan1311 makes a killer peanut sauce. You guys should compare notes!

• Like 1

Got the grill today, w00t, its bad ass! I had a project to do today so I didnt get to play with it, plus I need to buy some gas and let her burn for 20-30 minutes, so I'll shoot for the weekend since the rain will be on/off until then. The cover for this thing is amazing, its what the old weber covers USED to be, thick, heavy and triple stitched, now weber covers are junk and crack easily

He does Ive had it a few times lol

Edited by DButz65

Because the space I need to store it in my garage is not that wide, so I have a worktable that folds up so it doesn't take up much room. If I have an extra 40 inches of shelves that I don't need, its going to take up my gym area (which is a deal breaker), or I'll have to get rid of the Egg (which is also not happening).

Weber Spirit e210/310. The shelves on the side can be removed by taking out 2 screws on each side. 310 is 3 burners with 5 flavorizor bars. 210 is a 2 burner grill.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/spirit

Awww...thanks!

Got the grill today, w00t, its bad ass! I had a project to do today so I didnt get to play with it, plus I need to buy some gas and let her burn for 20-30 minutes, so I'll shoot for the weekend since the rain will be on/off until then. The cover for this thing is amazing, its what the old weber covers USED to be, thick, heavy and triple stitched, now weber covers are junk and crack easily

He does Ive had it a few times lol

Thanks.

It's actually pretty good when you're sober, too!

Weber Spirit e210/310. The shelves on the side can be removed by taking out 2 screws on each side. 310 is 3 burners with 5 flavorizor bars. 210 is a 2 burner grill.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/spirit

Get the 3-burner grill.

Indirect cooking is easier, IMHO.

Might have to make my way out to the ES tailgate at some point this year. My cousin who I go with regularly will be missing most games due to basic training and other Marine activities so I'm sure I'll end up a "Lone Wolf" at least once this season. I'll bring a batch of my steak rolls.

My wife asked me what I wanted to do this weekend for Father's day. I told her I wanted to smoke a Boston butt on my slow-n-sear. It will be the first Saturday where I either didn't have plans dictated by somebody else and it didn't rain. Gotta pull the trump card of being a father to just get a free day to smoke some meat these days!

• Like 3

My wife asked me what I wanted to do this weekend for Father's day. I told her I wanted to smoke a Boston butt on my slow-n-sear. It will be the first Saturday where I either didn't have plans dictated by somebody else and it didn't rain. Gotta pull the trump card of being a father to just get a free day to smoke some meat these days!

Hey, that's a great idea.  My wife asked me what I want to do and I wasn't sure what to say, but I have a couple packages of ribs that I could smoke.

Hey, that's a great idea.  My wife asked me what I want to do and I wasn't sure what to say, but I have a couple packages of ribs that I could smoke.

Mine is going to let me sleep in because I NEVER get to, I get up each day at 3-330A for work, and we have two kids under 3 so weekends we are all up by 6-630 saturdays and sundays heh I never ask for much

Edited by DButz65

So I'm nixing the brisket plan. Time constraints are gonna make that too hard to make happen. Gonna do a pork butt and some ribs instead. Found a nice 6.5 pounder at Aldi (I seriously can't praise that store enough, not as much for meat but just generally), gonna look for the best deal I can on some ribs today. Wife is making baked mac and cheese, I think I'm going to put some beans in the crock pot with some thick bacon, and grab some slaw if I don't make some myself. I think I might try and make those bourbon slushes. That sounds awesome!

I'm thinking I should anticipate about 9-10hrs for a 6.5lb butt right? After trimming It'll probably be closer to 6lbs. Part of me wants to try doing some foil at around 150-160 to try and halt the stall the best I can. But at the same time, I'd kinda rather just push through so I can get a nice bark.

Gonna give it close to a full 24hrs salt brine. Put together a good rub. I like a nice blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, a little cayenne, and some Old Bay usually. And plan on giving it the occasional spray of apple juice.

From what I've been reading, I should anticipate about 5-6hrs for the ribs. Sound about right? Most likely going with St. Louis ribs.

Never brined a pork butt, let me know how that goes. You can still retain a nice bark after wrapping it. I'd always recommend that approach, better safe than sorry.

Ribs- I subscribe to the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in smoke, wrap for 2 hours, then 1 hour unwrapped with brushing on sauce every 15min.

Never brined a pork butt, let me know how that goes. You can still retain a nice bark after wrapping it. I'd always recommend that approach, better safe than sorry.

Ribs- I subscribe to the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in smoke, wrap for 2 hours, then 1 hour unwrapped with brushing on sauce every 15min.

I think I'm going to put some beans in the crock pot with some thick bacon

Try salt pork instead of bacon, rendered down.  Much better than bacon when cooked in beans imho.  Same delicious fatty cut of meat just cured in salt in instead of smoked.  Adds a whole different, and better, level of meaty flavor.  Bacon is good for just about everything else, of course.  Not bad mouthing bacon.  

All you skirt steak lovers... Any good marinade recipes? For fajitas

Add in some cayenne and I like smoked paprika too.  Perfection for fajitas.

Zesty-Grilled-Wings-3.jpg

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

All you skirt steak lovers... Any good marinade recipes? For fajitas

These days I just do a dry rub.  As far as I'm concerned it tastes just as good...the important part is the cooking and the slicing.

I do a nice layer of kosher salt, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and oregano, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  For the veggies I leave them whole (cores of peppers removed, halves or thick slices for the onions) and get them a nice char on the grill, then rough chop them when they come off.

When I used to marinate it I'd do olive oil, lime juice and cilantro as well, and use crushed and minced cloves of garlic instead of garlic powder.  Then I would simmer the marinade for a few minutes to make sure any germs were dead and cook the veggies in it.

• Like 1

Skirt is my favorite steak to grill.  I marinade with garlic, onion, worcestershire sauce, a bit of chipotle in adobo all blended together into a paste.  Lots of salt.  Then crank my grill as high is it will go (my kamado joe can get to ~700-900 degrees) and sear on both sides for just a minute or three.  Cut against the grain - sheer deliciousness.

I just picked up a 16lb packer brisket to smoke for Fathers day.  Can't wait...

• Like 2

Skirt steak marinade

1/2 cup olive oil

1/3 cup soy sauce

Couple cloves of garlic

Juice of 3 limes

Pinches of black pepper, red pepper flake, salt and sugar

Cumin - like a handful.

That is EXACTLY what I pulled off the internet. Little different than the last few times (sugar mainly)

Anyway I bought all the ingredients and started the marinating around 10 am. Them my wife came home and reminded me my daughter has VBS tonight and my son has a sleepover. And she is helping out with VBS

I cooked a feast anyway. Even made fresh guacamole. Saved a little marinade to do the onions and peppers.

I now know what a divorced father of two must feel like on most nights. Anyway, it was awesome and now I get to get caught up on the OJ documentary

• Like 1