Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I usually do the fire while my girlfriend and her mother get the food ready. Or if I do any of the mise en place, it's usually just preparing the things that are going on the grill and getting my utensils ready.

I'm a pretty good multi-tasker in the kitchen and I have a good internal clock. I can deal with charcoal and still cook other dishes in the kitchen too. I'm just not very fun or relaxed company when I get into that super focused mode.

I'm going for a brisket tomorrow. Ribs went better than expected so we're shooting higher.

I've been reading through amazingribs.com and the Weber board. Bought a dual probe and am setting up shop tomorrow, hope it goes as well as the ribs.

I've yet to do a brisket, but my plan is to put it on late the night before. I've heard they take the longest to cook of about anything. Post some pics and let us know how it goes!!!

10, from what I've read its 1:15 per pound. I'm going to do the crutch so that should help with the cook time.

That's a guideline. Each piece of meat is different. It can take much longer, even if you crutch it. They always seem to take longer.

Start real early and, if for some reason it's done in 12hrs or less, stick it in a cooler, with some towels. It'll stay hot for hours. Better early, than hours later, when everyone is sitting around, hungry, waiting for it.

As a veteran of many briskets, trust me on this.....

• Like 1

10, from what I've read its 1:15 per pound. I'm going to do the crutch so that should help with the cook time.

Yeah just don't trim it too much and crutch it when you hit the plateau. Really not as intimidating as it seems, although they definitely are very prone to drying out if your heat is too high, you trim too much fat off, etc.

Turned our fantastic. Tender, had some kick used the rub from amazingribs that had chili and cayenne in it.

It did take about an hour and a half longer than I expected, but the end product was well worth it.

I'm taking the smoker to my dads next weekend for Father's Day. Going to do some ribs with the adjustments I've thought about.

Edited by GoSkinsGo
  • Like 3

Turned our fantastic. Tender, had some kick used the rub from amazingribs that had chili and cayenne in it.

It did take about an hour and a half longer than I expected, but the end product was well worth it.

I'm taking the smoker to my dads next weekend for Father's Day. Going to do some ribs with the adjustments I've thought about.

Well done!  

Brisket is probably the most challenging meat to get right in a smoker.   Good idea, for ribs.  They don't take an obscene amount of time to smoke.

It always, always takes longer than expected.  I put a 6lb shoulder at 6:30am, and I'm hoping that it's done by 6:30 - 7:00 pm.

This is why you do not depend on bi-metal thermometers.   Look at the temperature difference.  

The probe for the digital, is at the food grate, so there is a differential of ~ 30 degrees.    I adjust the bi-metal thermometer, occasionally, but it doesn't stay accurate for long.   If I based the cook, on the bi-metal thermometer, the food would never get done.

post-124028-0-43349900-1465730674_thumb.

Well done!  

Brisket is probably the most challenging meat to get right in a smoker.   Good idea, for ribs.  They don't take an obscene amount of time to smoke.

It always, always takes longer than expected.  I put a 6lb shoulder at 6:30am, and I'm hoping that it's done by 6:30 - 7:00 pm.

The bolded part is the most challenging thing for me. Cooking in the kitchen or on the grill you have a really good idea when something will be finished. With the smoker it can be a total crapshoot based on wind and temperature and damn is it hard to resist taking a look at the meat when it smells so good. 

This is why you do not depend on bi-metal thermometers.   Look at the temperature difference.  

The probe for the digital, is at the food grate, so there is a differential of ~ 30 degrees.    I adjust the bi-metal thermometer, occasionally, but it doesn't stay accurate for long.   If I based the cook, on the bi-metal thermometer, the food would never get done.

I noticed that yesterday, I bought a dual probe mainly because it was only $10.00 more than a single. The grate temp was 20 degrees different than the dome thermostat. 

On a sidetone does anyone know of a good butcher near Annapolis? We had one off of Forest Dr. but he closed up shop, I get most of my meat from Sams but would be interested in a good speciality if anyone has any recommendations. 

Edited by GoSkinsGo

The bolded part is the most challenging thing for me. Cooking in the kitchen or on the grill you have a really good idea when something will be finished. With the smoker it can be a total crapshoot based on wind and temperature and damn is it hard to resist taking a look at the meat when it smells so good. 

I noticed that yesterday, I bought a dual probe mainly because it was only $10.00 more than a single. The grate temp was 20 degrees different than the dome thermostat. 

True.   

That's part of the appeal.   BBQ is relaxing. While the food is smoking, read a book, drink a beer, smoke a cigar, whatever.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I don't have a grill and I'm senile so I probably discussed this before but Raichlen recommends a charcoal grill over a gas one. I've been looking through the hardware stores here for grills as I do not have one and would like to get one. A lot of the gas ones are more expensive so I was just thinking of getting a nice simple charcoal one. 

You left out have a bourbon!! ;)

Way ahead of you, my friend. I froze a batch of bourbon slushes, last night, in anticipation of a hot day. It's the perfect libation, for bourbon lovers.

6 oz frozen lemonade concentrate

6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate

1 cup strong tea, (brew 6 teabags in one cup of water)

1 cup sugar

2 cups bourbon*

7 cups water

Mix everything together and freeze overnight. I find it easier to dissolve the sugar in the tea, while it's still hot. Fill a tall glass, (or insulated cup), about 2/3 to 3/4 with the mixture, toss in a few bruised mint leaves, and top off with Sprite, 7-Up or Ginger ale, and garnish with a sprig of mint.

*I use 3 cups of bourbon, and 6 cups of water. Don't use the high-test stuff. If you have 80-90 proof juice, use it. In a pinch, (like yesterday), you can go slightly higher, but not too much. I used some Maker's, Larceny and a splash of McKenna.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2

That sounds awesome for a summer day, I'll have to try that next time we have a cookout.

So do you take lemonade and freeze it, or are you talking about the slushy concentrate stuff you get in the freezer section for the lemonade/orange juice?

I don't have a grill and I'm senile so I probably discussed this before but Raichlen recommends a charcoal grill over a gas one. I've been looking through the hardware stores here for grills as I do not have one and would like to get one. A lot of the gas ones are more expensive so I was just thinking of getting a nice simple charcoal one. 

I have a gas grill but it needs new burners.  I actually posted about getting a charcoal grill on here a few weeks ago and listened to the advice on here and am glad I did so.  Everything listed below was purchased on advice from the grill masters in this thread.  

Go with a Weber Kettle charcoal grill.  I took the recommendation on here to just go for the Weber Kettle Premium 22 inch and it has not disappointed at all.  The premium cost $149, but it comes with the fully enclosed ash catcher and that alone is worth the extra $$$.  Cleaning is so much easier and the ash doesn't blow around like it does on the basic model.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original-Kettle-Premium-22-in-Black-Porcelain-Enamel-Charcoal-Grill/50330261 

The price is about $50 more, so if you don't care about the ash, then go with the original.  

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Original-Kettle-22-in-Black-Porcelain-Enameled-Kettle-Charcoal-Grill/3055249

The only other attachment you need starting out that I would recommend is a chimney starter.  Those are cheap ($15), I went with this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-7-5-in-x-12-in-Aluminum-Charcoal-Chimney/1057001

And get a good grill cover, I went with the one recommended by skinsfan_1215 in this thread, which was this one for around $20

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25957536?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227018240839&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41081500472&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78362289032&veh=sem

I bought all my stuff on Amazon, even though I linked this from Lowes and Walmart.  

Works like a charm man.  I'd recommend a dual probe digital thermometer so you can monitor the grill grate temp and internal meat temp (depending on what you are cooking).  But if you have to hold off on that due to the $$$, it's not an immediate need.  One chimney full of regular kingsford charcoal placed on the right side of my grill will get the direct heat side over 700 degrees at the start and the indirect side gets up to around 400-410 degrees.  This was measured digitally with a digital probe on the indirect side, with the hood thermometer on the direct side.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

That sounds awesome for a summer day, I'll have to try that next time we have a cookout.

So do you take lemonade and freeze it, or are you talking about the slushy concentrate stuff you get in the freezer section for the lemonade/orange juice?

The frozen concentrate.

Don't forget the fresh mint, when you serve the drink. That's what makes it

Edited by Skinsfan1311