Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 hours into the cook.  

Smoked 'em 3 hrs.  Smeared a little bacon grease and Tabasco Pepper jelly on 'em, wrapped in foil with a splash of apple juice and cooked for 2 hours.  I just unwrapped them, and they'll go for another hour to firm up.

There's still a lot of charcoal left, in the SnS

Looks delicious!

Is that an older Genesis?  

I have a Genesis Silver B, from 2001 that's still going strong.  I had to replace the cooking grates last year and the flavorizer bars are shot, but those are easily replaced for ~ $40.00.

Yup, I just recently had to replace it, will post pics of the Brisket I got rubbed down tonight.....Ribs on Monday.....the burners on the new one are from front to back and not side to side.....Hoping I can get and keep the temp down for the duration.

UHm, yum highlighted for effect. 

Just set up the slow n sear this afternoon.  I got impatient and said **** it and lit a chimney starter full of coals and dumped them in.  Mainly because I was just grilling hot dogs for lunch.

For me, any kind of dog, brat, etc is a waste slow cooked.  My grilled links destroy anything you smoke, or slow cook.  I would argue the same for burgers.

Slow cooking is for slabs of meat.

Made a sort of Bolognese-like sauce tonight with ground lamb, shallot, and crimini mushrooms in my dutch oven and I was happy with how it turned out. Very simple. Cooked the mushrooms and shallot in olive oil and Malbec and that came out nice and sweet. Never made sauce with ground lamb before, but I loved it. I'm sitting here eating leftover sauce with a spoon.

• Like 1

For me, any kind of dog, brat, etc is a waste slow cooked.  My grilled links destroy anything you smoke, or slow cook.  I would argue the same for burgers.

I seared the brat then just cooked it over indirect heat, but the indirect heat side was a 350, so not really slow cooking it.  The Nathans hot dogs are already fully cooked, so I basically just tossed them on the sear side (600-700 degrees) for a minute or so rotating, then pulled them off onto the indirect side.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

We all know Steven Raichlen is a genius (he of PRoject Smoke fame) but man should also strive to buy other literature at his local bookstore to supplement his barbecue skill. 

Said books include aforementioned Meathead as well as Franklin Barbecue. 

61Aytsfq0IL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

I hear mostly what you are saying, but two thoughts on that, smoked sausages are killer- just not a 4 hour deal, slow roasted chicken- split, beer can, whole are really awesome. 

• Like 1

We all know Steven Raichlen is a genius (he of PRoject Smoke fame) but man should also strive to buy other literature at his local bookstore to supplement his barbecue skill. 

Nice, those'll go on the Christmas list.

I'm gonna throw some wings on the grill today.  Already made some pintos in the crock pot overnight (spiced up w/bacon).  Will have the wife make some cornbread w/diced up jalapenos.  Might toss the pork loin in the crock pot too.  Not sure if I'll have enough time to smoke it today.  Especially with the threat of rain.

He is a genius, I've worn out the Barbecue Bible, but my issue with Raichlen, is his dependence on hard-to-find-to-impossible-to-find ingredients, and the complicated, time-consuming techniques.

I watch his show, and he's using a large quiver of grills, specialty tools and stuff most mortal men don't own.  I mean, he was infusing Bloody Mary's with smoke, from a smoke machine, for goodness sake.  

• Like 1

He is a genius, I've worn out the Barbecue Bible, but my issue with Raichlen, is his dependence on hard-to-find-to-impossible-to-find ingredients, and the complicated, time-consuming techniques.

I watch his show, and he's using a large quiver of grills, specialty tools and stuff most mortal men don't own. I mean, he was infusing Bloody Mary's with smoke, from a smoke machine, for goodness sake.

That's why I like the recipes in this book of his better than the BBQ Bible

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NHRARE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

A littler simpler and less exotic. Step by step with full color pics is helpful for some of the techniques as well

I love how everybody gets all bent out of shape if you don't cook steak their supposedly "correct" way. Butter on steak happens to be money. Just salt and pepper on steak is great too.

It's steak. It tastes ****ing great. Cook it the way you like and don't over think it.

That stuff drives me crazy when people tell you you're wrong how you like your food. I always say, cook it and eat it how you like it. You're the one that's gotta like it.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 3

I need to figure out the best way to grill wings with crunchy skin.

Wings without a good char are terrible.  I have had my share of slimy wings in my life.

Grilling them slow and low doesn't get that crispy skin.  I guess some folk like skin with no crisp?

Edited by chipwhich

I need to figure out the best way to grill wings with crunchy skin.

Wings without a good char are terrible.  I have had my share of slimy wings in my life.

Grilling them slow and low doesn't get that crispy skin.  I guess some folk like skin with no crisp?

I do what Zoony suggested: smoke them for about 1 hour at ~350 (indirect). Then I remove the heat deflector plate in my smoker so they are directly over the heat. At that point, I'm watching them like a hawk, basting  & moving them around to get the right crispness.

Soggy, slimy wings (or chicken skin of any kind) is disgusting.

When I do a full 15-18 lb turkey on the smoker, I always have to invert the bird so the bottom gets as crispy as the rest of the bird. Not sure if peeps who have BGE's have to do that, but the heat directly above my heat deflector doesn't get as high as the higher part of my smoker (a Char Griller Akorn).  If I have wings smoking on both levels of the smoker, I'll switch the upper grill with the bottom to give both the same amount of time in the upper/higher heat. When cooking a pizza, i only cook on the upper grill as the heat gets both the crust crispy & melts the cheese. I've never tested it but it has to be a 75-100 degree difference...

• Like 1

Grilled a bunch of burgers, sausages, corn, and onions tonight. The fire was ripping hot and the amount of smoke was crazy, used too many coals and pieces of applewood. But the odd mix of stuff on the grill ended up working out. Grilled corn is awesome. Literally did nothing to it except dunk the husks in water before I put them around the edge of the grill. The end product was extremely moist. I'm not sure you can get that same level of moisture from any method except grilling. The kernels appear to release all of their water under the super intense heat of the flames, and that water gets trapped within the husk and steams the corn.

I'll more frequently cook corn in the oven, shucking the ears and wrapping them in foil with butter and rosemary. The results just aren't as good.

• Like 1

Corn on the grill is the ticket, but I like shucking it first then butter and paprika and char those bad boys. The blackened kernels aren't as moist but it has a wonderful flavor and if it's nice and hot it chars before it dries out too much.  Then a little more butter and paprika (smoked spanish kind) when it's done.

They are food trucks here that sell "elotes" and that's how they do them.   

• Like 1