Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Another question about the slow n sear.  So when the charcoal gets ready in the chimney starter, I just dump the coals into the slow n sear, put the grate on.  

Question is, when preparing steaks, would I want to put them directly over the coals on the slow n sear side immediately after putting the coals in?  How hot would the coals be at that time?  

I know it maintains the 250-300 degrees for smoking indirectly over 8-10 hours, but what about the temperatures over it for direct cooking? Is there any reason to add water in it when cooking steaks? 

You just light a few briquets in the corner you don't use a chimney if you are trying to go low and slow( I guess you could use the chimney for those few coals).  For hi temp start them in the chimney dump them in and open up those vents.  Then reverse sear that steak!

Edited by HOF44

Another question about the slow n sear. So when the charcoal gets ready in the chimney starter, I just dump the coals into the slow n sear, put the grate on.

Question is, when preparing steaks, would I want to put them directly over the coals on the slow n sear side immediately after putting the coals in? How hot would the coals be at that time?

I know it maintains the 250-300 degrees for smoking indirectly over 8-10 hours, but what about the temperatures over it for direct cooking? Is there any reason to add water in it when cooking steaks?

No. Cook the steaks on the indirect side, when the internal temp hits about 20° degrees under your target temp, slap 'em on the side with the charcoal and flip every 30 seconds or so.

The directions on the ABC sight, suggest adding more lit coals, to the SnS side, to get the temps blazing, but I've found it's not necessary, after using it a few times. I just add more lit charcoal, at the beginning of the cook, and dial back the vents to hold ~ 250°.

When the steaks hit 115°, I pull the lid, and give it a minute for the fire to get to warp 9 or 10, then start flipping them, until they hit 135°, and pull.

Do not use water for hot and fast cooking.

On a side note, I'll use a leave-in digital thermometer, sometimes, on one of the steaks, then I'll pull it, and use a really fast, digital insta-read thermometer, to check the temps, during the sear. I'll just put the steak, on the indirect side, and check the temp..Ifnit's not done, I'll stick 'em back over the fire, until they're done.

I don't bother with measuring the temp at the food grate anymore,(when cooking hot and fast), because I've used it so.much, I know how to set the vents. When you first start using the SnS, I suggest that you measure the temp, at the grate,until you get familiar with the vents on your grill.

This method can take a good 30 minutes, or more, so take that in consideration when planning a meal.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

I thought you were supposed to sear both sides first, then slow cook until the steak was at your desired internal temps.  That's what I used to do on my propane grill and on a frying pan at home over the stove.  

Can it still be done that way, or will they turn out better slow cooking first, then searing last on charcoal.  Or is the difference minimal? 

Mine are better slow first, then sear.  Not a giant difference, but consistent and noticeable.  

The best money you can spend for grilling is a good thermometer.  Get a thermopen and never look back... 

• Like 1

I'll look into the thermometers in a couple of weeks.  Don't want to push it with the wife since I just bought the premium weber kettle, that cover, the chimney starter and added on the slow n sear today with paying extra for 2 day shipping so I get it before the holiday weekend lol

I thought you were supposed to sear both sides first, then slow cook until the steak was at your desired internal temps.  That's what I used to do on my propane grill and on a frying pan at home over the stove.  

Can it still be done that way, or will they turn out better slow cooking first, then searing last on charcoal.  Or is the difference minimal? 

it's called a "reverse sear" because you slow cook first, then sear.   Both methods work, but I think the reverse sear is easier. it's easier to be consistent.

Mine are better slow first, then sear.  Not a giant difference, but consistent and noticeable.  

The best money you can spend for grilling is a good thermometer.  Get a thermopen and never look back... 

You can never have enough thermometers.  (I have five, and counting!)  

You need at least three, (or two if one has a double-probe).  All digital. One to leave in the food.  One to measure the temp at the food grate and a instant-read.  bc is correct, the Thermapen is a great one.

Agree that a good thermometer is VITAL.  I prefer to have one where you can just leave the probe in.  You poke less holes in the meat that way.

http://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Kitchen-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVCP4/ref=zg_bs_3563990011_3

http://www.thermoworks.com/   Best thermometers anywhere, bar none.

I'll look into the thermometers in a couple of weeks.  Don't want to push it with the wife since I just bought the premium weber kettle, that cover, the chimney starter and added on the slow n sear today with paying extra for 2 day shipping so I get it before the holiday weekend lol

Digital thermometers are critical for BBQ and reasonably priced.  I believe that Maverick, and Taylor, make decent ones, for under $30.00.   

• Like 1

A slow and sear seems unnecessary TBH. Why not just pile the coals on one side of your grill and use a pan for water?

From what I've read, it helps maintain a constant heat of 250-300 degrees for 8+ hours to slow cook without having to refill any coals.  So you don't have to worry as much about looking at the temps all the time, adding coals, and the temperatures fluctuating, etc.

Basically it provides a more controlled cooking environment for smoking meats than you get with traditional methods.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

A slow and sear seems unnecessary TBH. Why not just pile the coals on one side of your grill and use a pan for water?

I struggled for years with keeping steady, even temp combined with longevity of burn. One of the best things I bought was a Slow N Sear for my Weber.

I struggled for years with keeping steady, even temp combined with longevity of burn. One of the best things I bought was a Slow N Sear for my Weber.

Hmm, I guess I don't understand the difference in lighting the coals partially in the bottom of your grill and adding more periodically and doing so in the slow n sear. Is the difference caused simply by elevating the coals to rest closer to the grates?

Maybe it packs them together in a more dense configuration?

Hmm, I guess I don't understand the difference in lighting the coals partially in the bottom of your grill and adding more periodically and doing so in the slow n sear. Is the difference caused simply by elevating the coals to rest closer to the grates?

Here is a link to their website:  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/ I read about everything on there, should answer any questions.

I bought a 12 oz filet from the store last night and cooked it in a pan on the stove.  It was a perfect medium rare and I didn't let that bish rest because I wanted a hot meal.  I had a baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar to go with it. 

I want to eat this meal every day. 

I miss having a grill. :'(

• Like 1

I don't know the science behind it, all I know is it works.

Honestly, you can almost emulate it, using fire-bricks, and banking a bunch of charcoal behind them and a pan of water.

The SnS helps make it easier, and more consistent.

I bought a 12 oz filet from the store last night and cooked it in a pan on the stove. It was a perfect medium rare and I didn't let that bish rest because I wanted a hot meal. I had a baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar to go with it.

I want to eat this meal every day.

I miss having a grill. :'(

That's good eatin'!

When the weather is bad, we sear steaks in a cast-iron pan, and finish them off in the oven. We do the same with pork tenderloins.

• Like 1

I have the igrill1 (previous version).  I don't love it.  Interface is a bit wonky and the probe doesn't always work as well as I'd like.  Its entirely possible that they've improved things with igrill2, but I would get a Maverick ET-733 as my stay-in-the-food and grill-temp monitoring device if I was buying today.  And a thermopen for rapid temp checking.   

I have the igrill1 (previous version). I don't love it. Interface is a bit wonky and the probe doesn't always work as well as I'd like. Its entirely possible that they've improved things with igrill2, but I would get a Maverick ET-733 as my stay-in-the-food and grill-temp monitoring device if I was buying today. And a thermopen for rapid temp checking.

Quoted for truth.

I think ive mentioned it before, and though my pork shoulders get rave reviews, the best thing I've cooked on my grill was this recipe while I was doing a 12 hour pork smoke:

1 Cornish hen

1 link of boudin

Few dabs of butter

Stuff the boudin and butter in the hen. Tie up the legs and throw it on the smoker. Baste every so often with garlic salt, old bay, and a butter mixture (you can add whatever spices you want). Shouldnt take but a few hours if you're at a low temp.

Comes out so moist and the skin gets buttery, crispy, and a little smoky. The boudin just takes it to another level.

• Like 1

Its probably fine.  I don't know that brand.  Calibrate it when you get it.  Boil some water and check the temp.  If its way off from 212, you know you have a dud.  

We do it opposite in the restaurant biz...put it in a small amount of ice water (sorry, but less water, less energy usage, less time wasted, blah blah)...the non-digitals you adjust with the nut under the display mount.

I don't own a digital.  We have the super fast ones at work, but my home cooking doesn't have to be too precise.  Just run the animal through a warm room & bring it to me. :lol:

Hubby ups his a little... I even have a friend who turns my plate from across the table so she can't see the side I've cut on. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Chimney starter and grill cover came yesterday.  Today the grill comes and the digital thermometer.  Tomorrow the slow n sear.  Gonna assemble that mofo tonight, then get my bbq on starting tomorrow night or Sat.  Depends on what I'm in the mood to eat.

Got two bags of charcoal, one natural lump coals and one of the standard kingsford.  Wife already has demanded smoked salmon.  Anyone smoke salmon before?  

• Like 1