Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Chimney starter and grill cover came yesterday. Today the grill comes and the digital thermometer. Tomorrow the slow n sear. Gonna assemble that mofo tonight, then get my bbq on starting tomorrow night or Sat. Depends on what I'm in the mood to eat.

Got two bags of charcoal, one natural lump coals and one of the standard kingsford. Wife already has demanded smoked salmon. Anyone smoke salmon before?

It's the Memorial day sale going on at Depot & Lowes. 2 18.6lb bags of Kingsford .briquettes for $9.98. That's a great deal. Stock up now! They offer the same deal on July 4th and Labor Day. Basically, it's around 1/2 off.

Lump is a great way to go, but I'd skip using it with the SnS, until you get used to the grill, and dialing in temps.

Can't help you on the salmon, I always grill it, direct. Sometimes on a cedar plank, sometimes without.It cooks fast.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Got two bags of charcoal, one natural lump coals and one of the standard kingsford.  Wife already has demanded smoked salmon.  Anyone smoke salmon before?  

Oh, yeah.  I do trout all the time because that's what I can catch but when salmon is in season I'm all over that.  Get wild caught Alaska in season, which is just starting now and fresh not frozen.  You can google for pics to help you determine freshness but smell, there should be very little, and bounce back when you press it lightly (like memory foam) are two things you can do.  It's pricey.

I find mesquite or fruit wood works best with fish.  They swear by alder wood in AK but I don't think it imparts a smoky enough flavor.  It only needs 3 or 4 hours to be golden smoky and moist.  It's better cold on a bagel but warm with Hollandaise sauce is dynamite too.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah.  I do trout all the time because that's what I can catch but when salmon is in season I'm all over that.  Get wild caught Alaska in season, which is just starting now and fresh not frozen.  You can google for pics to help you determine freshness but smell, there should be very little, and bounce back when you press it lightly (like memory foam) are two things you can do.  It's pricey.

I find mesquite or fruit wood works best with fish.  They swear by alder wood in AK but I don't think it imparts a smoky enough flavor.  It only needs 3 or 4 hours to be golden smoky and moist.  It's better cold on a bagel but warm with Hollandaise sauce is dynamite too.

Do I even need to bother with the slow n sear for salmon?  Or should I use indirect heat to cook it?  And what temps?

Don't know about the slow and sear.  It would probably save you some messing with the coals.  

My smoker is a simple Brinkmann electric (I think earlier in the thread I said Weber wrongly) that has a water pan.  I never used a thermometer it's just the temp that plugging it in produces.  There's no rheostat.   Must be about 230.  

I know these more expensive set ups are better.  My buddy in Alaska has a very nice pellet smoker, looks like a dorm fridge.  But he's doing enough salmon to last the year.

To answer more directly, but without experience smoking on your rig, I would say 230 for 3 hours.  If it's not smokey enough lower temp and increase time.  I always make sure that the smoke remains thick but your rig may automate that.  My smoker is indirect by design and I can't imagine smoking salmon over direct heat.  It would cook too quick.

So I got the new grill tonight.  Ended up firing it up and just doing hamburgers.  Well all I can say is LOL at everything I read and the videos I watched about cooking hamburgers.

The general instruction was to cook them on direct heat, at 425-450 degrees.  Cook on one side 4-5 mins, flip, cook another 4-5 mins (depending on the thickness).  Said to use 40-50 coals, evenly spread out on the grill.  

So I put 50 coals in the chimney starter, lit them and waited until the top coals were white/ash, dumped on the grill (15-17 mins).  Spread them out evenly, put the lid on with the vents on the top and bottom open.  Pre-heated the grill to 425 degrees (about 10 mins).  

Put the burgers on, and they were thin (wife made them that way).  After I put them on, the temp falls to 350 degrees after a couple of mins.  After like 10-12 mins, they were ready to flip.  Then another 10 mins they were cooked.  I didn't screw them up, fully cooked.  But I'm baffled that I used that many coals and the temps dropped that fast.  

I followed all the instructions and per all the vids I watched, you would think I would get similar results.  But it was so off.  The temp dropping close to 100 degrees.  I know each grill is different, but this just seemed like a failure, regardless if they were good.  They were somewhat dry, granted that would be because the wife pattied them up so thin.  

Will it get easier with the slow n sear?  Im convinced that next time if I don't use the slow n sear, that I will fill the chimney starter up full and force more heat.  I was using regular Kingsford charcoal, should I switch that up?

So I got the new grill tonight.  Ended up firing it up and just doing hamburgers.  Well all I can say is LOL at everything I read and the videos I watched about cooking hamburgers.

The general instruction was to cook them on direct heat, at 425-450 degrees.  Cook on one side 4-5 mins, flip, cook another 4-5 mins (depending on the thickness).  Said to use 40-50 coals, evenly spread out on the grill.  

So I put 50 coals in the chimney starter, lit them and waited until the top coals were white/ash, dumped on the grill (15-17 mins).  Spread them out evenly, put the lid on with the vents on the top and bottom open.  Pre-heated the grill to 425 degrees (about 10 mins).  

Put the burgers on, and they were thin (wife made them that way).  After I put them on, the temp falls to 350 degrees after a couple of mins.  After like 10-12 mins, they were ready to flip.  Then another 10 mins they were cooked.  I didn't screw them up, fully cooked.  But I'm baffled that I used that many coals and the temps dropped that fast.  

I followed all the instructions and per all the vids I watched, you would think I would get similar results.  But it was so off.  The temp dropping close to 100 degrees.  I know each grill is different, but this just seemed like a failure, regardless if they were good.  They were somewhat dry, granted that would be because the wife pattied them up so thin.  

Will it get easier with the slow n sear?  Im convinced that next time if I don't use the slow n sear, that I will fill the chimney starter up full and force more heat.  I was using regular Kingsford charcoal, should I switch that up?

I'm a complete novice, but maybe let the burgers get closer to room temp before you throw them on.  (I have to put things like this in the oven with it off, so kitties don't invade, LOL).

So I got the new grill tonight. Ended up firing it up and just doing hamburgers. Well all I can say is LOL at everything I read and the videos I watched about cooking hamburgers.

The general instruction was to cook them on direct heat, at 425-450 degrees. Cook on one side 4-5 mins, flip, cook another 4-5 mins (depending on the thickness). Said to use 40-50 coals, evenly spread out on the grill.

Will it get easier with the slow n sear? Im convinced that next time if I don't use the slow n sear, that I will fill the chimney starter up full and force more heat. I was using regular Kingsford charcoal, should I switch that up?

Don't overthink it. I don't bother with the SnS for burgers, unless cooking for a crowd.

Fill a starter with charcoal, (no need to count, just fill 'er up to the top),after the coals are lit, (they don't have to completely ashed over, since you didn't use a chemical starter), dump on the charcoal grate, put on the food grate,.and toss the burgers on. No need to preheat for 10 minutes, a couple of minutes will suffice.

The grill did exactly what grills are supposed to do. You were grilling, not BBQ. Grilling is for fast cooks, and the temps will dro

p. BBQ is low and slow. It'll hold temps a long time, using the SnS, and it will hold temps, for at least an hour, without adding charcoal, if you indirect cook, using charcoal baskets.

For burgers, I make thick, and a thin one for the wife and set up a 2-zone fire, (basically, just pile up.more coals on one part of the grate, leaving a cooler part of the grill, on case the food starts to burn.

I cook 'em around 5-6 minutes per side and, if in doubt, use an instant read thermometer to check.

There is no substitute for experience. Don't sweat the temps, when grilling. Weber kettles have been around for over 60 yrs, and folks managed. I suggest reading the Weber manual, skip all the Internet information overload, and cook with it.

Good luck!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

I yield to the pros...but I get that now...the fat will "melt" better. I was just trying to think of a way to not make the temp drop so dramatically.

Temps drop pretty quickly when grilling with charcoal. If food takes more than 1/2 hr to grill, then it should be cooked indirectly.

I will gladly eat anything from a charcoal grill, but I'll always channel my inner Hank Hill and am a propane guy. It's so much easier to cook burgers and steaks. Dealing with charcoal for that would be a PITA.

My parents did that nonsense.  It killed my flavor for steak for about 10 years.  No ****.  That is not flavor, not grilled properly.  Just ain't done right.

#charcoalforeva

Yeah, my smoker is pretty cheap but I put down big bucks on my propane grill because I use it 3 or 4 times a week.  I made sure to get one that has really good side burners.  It's my outside kitchen and when it's 105 out I much prefer cooking under my misters on the back patio to heating up my kitchen.  A smoke box provides all the flavor necessary for grilling meat.

• Like 2

Burgers stay cold before cooking. Better for the fat in them.

I let mine sit at room temp and put the salt and pepper on about 15 minutes before (while my charcoal lights in the chimney). I also make them a little thick and put a pad of butter in the middle of each for extra juiciness.

On a side note, I saw show one time on TV where they served "Juicy Lucy" burgers with cheese inside. Never do that. Ever. Unless you want molten lava pouring out all over your hand giving you a second degree burn.

• Like 1

Like I said, I know nothing about the grilling process.  I'm a bartender/server.  I know a lot about food itself, but my bosses (wherever I am) are supposed to know more than me &  more about how to get it out faster...aaaannnnddd they don't. :(

Sorry for my derail...carry on & HAIL.

I let mine sit at room temp and put the salt and pepper on about 15 minutes before (while my charcoal lights in the chimney). I also make them a little thick and put a pad of butter in the middle of each for extra juiciness.

On a side note, I saw show one time on TV where they served "Juicy Lucy" burgers with cheese inside. Never do that. Ever. Unless you want molten lava pouring out all over your hand giving you a second degree burn.

Those have to be rare, then brought up in a 275-300 degree oven.  THAT, I do know.

And there are these things called spatulas.  :D   I highly recommend their usage.

Like I said, I know nothing about the grilling process.  I'm a bartender/server.  I know a lot about food itself, but my bosses (wherever I am) are supposed to know more than me &  more about how to get it out faster...aaaannnnddd they don't. :(

Sorry for my derail...carry on & HAIL.

Those have to be rare, then brought up in a 275-300 degree oven.  THAT, I do know.

And there are these things called spatulas.  :D   I highly recommend their usage.

I meant when you eat them. Oy vay! :lol:

When my wife bit into one, it squirted molten cheddar out onto her hand. :(

So I got the new grill tonight. Ended up firing it up and just doing hamburgers. Well all I can say is LOL at everything I read and the videos I watched about cooking hamburgers.

The general instruction was to cook them on direct heat, at 425-450 degrees. Cook on one side 4-5 mins, flip, cook another 4-5 mins (depending on the thickness). Said to use 40-50 coals, evenly spread out on the grill.

So I put 50 coals in the chimney starter, lit them and waited until the top coals were white/ash, dumped on the grill (15-17 mins). Spread them out evenly, put the lid on with the vents on the top and bottom open. Pre-heated the grill to 425 degrees (about 10 mins).

Put the burgers on, and they were thin (wife made them that way). After I put them on, the temp falls to 350 degrees after a couple of mins. After like 10-12 mins, they were ready to flip. Then another 10 mins they were cooked. I didn't screw them up, fully cooked. But I'm baffled that I used that many coals and the temps dropped that fast.

I followed all the instructions and per all the vids I watched, you would think I would get similar results. But it was so off. The temp dropping close to 100 degrees. I know each grill is different, but this just seemed like a failure, regardless if they were good. They were somewhat dry, granted that would be because the wife pattied them up so thin.

Will it get easier with the slow n sear? Im convinced that next time if I don't use the slow n sear, that I will fill the chimney starter up full and force more heat. I was using regular Kingsford charcoal, should I switch that up?

I haven't used anything other than natural lump in years, and don't know much about the behavior of briquettes, but something sounds off here. Two theories:

You just need more fuel. If the drop wasn't caused by starting to run out of charcoal then open the vents wider to get more airflow. More air = hotter fire. Try it with the bottom and top vents wide open. Or

Your grill was never as hot as you thought. During the heat up if you have flames getting close to the thermometer you can get a falsely high temp reading

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 1

I haven't used anything other than natural lump in years, and don't know much about the behavior of briquettes, but something sounds off here. Two theories:

You just need more fuel. If the drop wasn't caused by starting to run out of charcoal then open the vents wider to get more airflow. More air = hotter fire. Try it with the bottom and top vents wide open. g

I agree, partially.

My guess,in this case, is that the temp drop was not caused by the vent settings.

I use both lump, and Kingsford briquettes. I use the Kingsforsd, exclusively, for smoking, as I find it's easier to dial in, and hold, temps, due to the uniform size of the briquettes.

Chimney starters are nice, but many folks don't use them correctly. Well-lit charcoal is when the smoke is gone, or almost gone, and heat waves are visible. If you wait until the charcoal is all grey ash,(in the starter),a significant amount of it will burn up in the starter, before you dump it on the charcoal grate.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I agree, partially.

My guess,in this case, is that the temp drop was not caused by the vent settings.

I use both lump, and Kingsford briquettes. I use the Kingsforsd, exclusively, for smoking, as I find it's easier to dial in, and hold, temps, due to the uniform size of the briquettes.

Chimney starters are nice, but many folks don't use them correctly. Well-lit charcoal is when the smoke is gone, or almost gone, and heat waves are visible. If you wait until the charcoal is all grey ash,(in the starter),a significant amount of it will burn up in the starter, before you dump it on the charcoal grate.

That's what happened!  I waited until the top coals were ashing turning white (50 pieces - 17 mins in the chimney starter) and when I dumped them I saw a lot of ash.  I had both the bottom and top vents wide open.  I also pre-heated the grill for 10 mins.  

I used the regular kingsford briquettes.  I have a bag of the natural lump coals, but was going to hold off until I get more comfortable cooking with charcoal again.

I think next time, I need to fill up the chimney starter with coals and then dump the coals from the starter after 10-12 mins.  Not spread them across the entire grill, but stack to one side.  Put on the grate and pre-heat for no longer than 5 mins.  Clean the top with a grill brush, then toss on the burgers.

Also, was this the hood thermometer?  The one built into the weber?  Those should be viewed as decorative only.  They are notoriously unreliable.  

Yes.  I went by the hood thermometer.  The digital one arrived yesterday, but I didn't feel like messing with it last night.  Honestly, I thought that cooking burgers would be a piece of cake.  Not that it was hard, it just didn't line up with the instructions on the weber site or manual.  

And me being a perfectionist and anal retentive, I get pissed off real easy when things don't follow the plan the way I think it should work lol.  Where is the best place to put the digital probe to read the grate temperature?  

That's what happened! I waited until the top coals were ashing turning white (50 pieces - 17 mins in the chimney starter) and when I dumped them I saw a lot of ash. I had both the bottom and top vents wide open. I also pre-heated the grill for 10 mins.

I used the regular kingsford briquettes. I have a bag of the natural lump coals, but was going to hold off until I get more comfortable cooking with charcoal again.

I think next time, I need to fill up the chimney starter with coals and then dump the coals from the starter after 10-12 mins. Not spread them across the entire grill, but stack to one side. Put on the grate and pre-heat for no longer than 5 mins. Clean the top with a grill brush, then toss on the burgers.

Yes. I went by the hood thermometer. The digital one arrived yesterday, but I didn't feel like messing with it last night. Honestly, I thought that cooking burgers would be a piece of cake. Not that it was hard, it just didn't line up with the instructions on the weber site or manual.

And me being a perfectionist and anal retentive, I get pissed off real easy when things don't follow the plan the way I think it should work lol. Where is the best place to put the digital probe to read the grate temperature?

The bi-metal thermometers, in the lid, are notoriously innacurate. One of mine is off 60°. The best place for the probe,.is anywhere on the food grate, close to the food. They make clips for them, but I don't bother, I have it stuck through a ball af aluminum foil. When I use the SnS, I stick it near the food, but on the side opposite the SnS.

Unless you're doing a, low and slow cook, don't bother with a thermometer for the grill temp. It's not needed. You can tell if how hot by how long you can hold your hand anove the grate, (google it).

You should, however, use a thermometer, preferably a digital instant read type, to measure the food temp. That's the most reliable method of checking when food is done, and cooked safely.

I still don't see anyone answering Taze's question.  22 minutes to cook thin burgers.  That's worse than low and slow.

Just asking because I want to know the answer too.  I usually do my burgers 4 min one side, flip and 4 min on side, then one more flip at 4 min for a total of 12 min.  I think my temperature on this is 350 on my grill but don't know how reliable my gauge is.

22 minutes for a burger would ruin mine.