Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Anyone tried the weber pizza stones out? If so, how long did you cook the pizza and around what temps?

I went down the dough rabbit hole a few years ago. Making fresh pizza dough, etc. even made soft pretzels once which were awesome actually

I could never get the return though on the time I put in. It's kind of like brewing beer. It's just a ton of work, and once you do it a few times, you find its easier just to go buy some

So with regard to pizza stones, ive tried them a few times with fresh dough in the oven but never on the grill. I think trader joes sells fresh pizza dough that might cool to try let us know how it goes

I went down the dough rabbit hole a few years ago. Making fresh pizza dough, etc. even made soft pretzels once which were awesome actually

I could never get the return though on the time I put in. It's kind of like brewing beer. It's just a ton of work, and once you do it a few times, you find its easier just to go buy some

So with regard to pizza stones, ive tried them a few times with fresh dough in the oven but never on the grill. I think trader joes sells fresh pizza dough that might cool to try let us know how it goes

yeah, we usually make homemade pizza in the oven, but I want to try it out on the grill.  I made it once years ago on my propane grill, it turned out ok.  Wife is fine with getting a ball of dough and working with that.  So, for me, it's basically firing the grill up and cooking it.

I'll look into the Trader Joe's pizza dough, we love that place.  I saw the attachments to turn your kettle grill into a wood fire pizza oven, but I don't want to drop $200 bucks.  Thinking of going with the weber pizza stone and maybe buying a couple of the wood chip holders to get the wood fire flavor.

I've used the Trader Joe's dough a couple of times. It's ok - I don't think it's made with 00 flour, it's probably bread flour. The 00 flour has lower gluten content that makes it easy to stretch out to hold it's shape.  The TJ dough is damn near impossible to stretch out to a certain size. 

Zoony's right - it's kind of a pain in the ass to make pizza. I like to have the dough sit & rise for 18-24 hours so I have to plan far in advance to make pizza for dinner. I actually made a batch of dough a couple of weekends ago, split it into 4 pieces, put it into 2 separate food saver vacuum bags & stuck it in the freezer. I'll probably make it this week so I'll post to let you know how it turns out after being frozen. 

There is an instant rise yeast that can be used to cut down on the 18 hour rise time. I haven't tried it but from what I've read it sounds

like it works ok. 

Here's a common problem when cooking pizza on a grill - the crust will cook before the toppings (cheese melting). On my smoker, I use the upper grid (it it's 8-10" above the main grate) so the pizza sits as high as possible in the smoker - where it's much hotter. This seems to help both the crust & toppings cook together. Oh....and less is more - don't load up the pizza with toppings or you'll have a soggy mess. 

Now, my olive bread on the grill is awesome. I have to plan a couple of days in advance for that too. But it's got that crunchy-chewy crust that I love...

• Like 1

Haven't made the mods yet. So no update on that.

I am however planning on doing a brisket myself this weekend for Father's Day. Having my parents over. I've done them in the oven and had them come out good. But this will be my first smoked brisket. Any tips to know specifically? Planning to go by a recipe on Amazing Ribs or BBQ Bible most likely. I plan to mop. And I plan to have a feaux Cambrio set up and ready.

I used the amazingribs recipe and it came out great. As I said above, took longner than I thought and I'm glad li read about the stall because that could really catch you off guard.

Yeah, I think that's a part that I'm most concerned about outside of drying the beef out. I plan to "Crutch" once I hit 150 or so with a little beef broth.

Looking for recipe ideas that would be realistic when camping. I will have a Weber smokey Joe tabletop (I think it's 18") and a propane stove. Also a gas oven that doesn't work very well

Anyway Id love to hear suggestions!

BTW, just got back from Houston I am officially a fan of Mambo sauce + beer (dos Equis seems to work best). I have a bottle and I'm quickly going through it. Very refreshing especially in this heat

May be in the market for a new grill for Father's Day. Any thoughts? My only real requirements are that it 1) kick ass and 2) not have shelves on the sides.

A couple weeks/pages ago we sold someone on a new Weber kettle. Take a look at the recommendations there. :)

May be in the market for a new grill for Father's Day.  Any thoughts?  My only real requirements are that it 1) kick ass and 2) not have shelves on the sides.

Do you want gas or charcoal? How much do you want to spend?

A couple weeks/pages ago we sold someone on a new Weber kettle. Take a look at the recommendations there. :)

Best purchase Ive made in a while. 

May be in the market for a new grill for Father's Day.  Any thoughts?  My only real requirements are that it 1) kick ass and 2) not have shelves on the sides.

Charcoal - Weber Premium Kettle

Gas - I have a three burner stainless steel Jenn-Air but they don't make them anymore, so I'm of no help on the best out there now :(

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

We marinated some pork chops in dijon mustard and some seasonings overnight.  Wife picked up one of those pre-marinated Smithfield pork loins (Wrapped in applewood bacon) from the store and I just tossed them on the grill.

Chops almost done, loin is slow cooking and is around 82 degrees internally now.  Beer is flowing, corn and green beens are cooking in the oven.  Life is good fellow ES Grillers.

• Like 4

Ive had a weber performer for years, and have always preferred charcoal over gas, but I broke down today and bought this http://www.laplatatvappliance.com/outdoor-cooking/grills/grills/LEX485PSS/

$800 assembled and shipped to my door, all stainless insides too

As I get older im getting tired of messing with the charcoal, but I plan to try and keep the weber for smoking ribs and all that stuff and use the Napoleon for easy quick stuff  (Napoleon is just a Canadian version of a weber supposedly lol)

Edited by DButz65

Ive had a weber performer for years, and have always preferred charcoal over gas, but I broke down today and bought this http://www.laplatatvappliance.com/outdoor-cooking/grills/grills/LEX485PSS/

$800 assembled and shipped to my door, all stainless insides too

As I get older im getting tired of messing with the charcoal, but I plan to try and keep the weber for smoking ribs and all that stuff and use the Napoleon for easy quick stuff  (Napoleon is just a Canadian version of a weber supposedly lol)

Nice DB.  Let us know if the Napoleon is Dynamite :D

Why do you want to remove the shelves?

Because the space I need to store it in my garage is not that wide, so I have a worktable that folds up so it doesn't take up much room.  If I have an extra 40 inches of shelves that I don't need, its going to take up my gym area (which is a deal breaker), or I'll have to get rid of the Egg (which is also not happening).

Edited by PleaseBlitz