Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

The whole resting a steak thing, unless you want a little carryover cooking, is a myth.

There's no need to rest a steak, thick or thin.

Juices don't re-distribute through the meat, and won't be lost, if you cut into a steak, right after taking it off the heat.  

Unless it's wrapped, the only thing resting a steak accomplishes, is serving cold steak.  

Not a myth:

This image shows six steaks of identical thickness that were all cooked to an internal temperature of 125°F. I sliced one steak open every 2.5 minutes and placed it on a plate to collect any juices that leaked out.

20091204-resting-steaks-overhead.jpg

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/how-to-have-juicy-meats-steaks-the-food-lab-the-importance-of-resting-grilling.html

• Like 1

I've seen experiments showing it both ways.  I'd love to see some kind of lab analysis with really rigorous experimental control just for curiosity's sake.

I tend to find that the meat ends up resting for 5 or 10 minutes while we get the rest of the table set and everything, so it's sort of a moot point in practice.

Every chef in the world rests their meat. I'm not talking about Internet rib guy, I mean David Chang, Thomas Keller, and Ferran Adria

Would be surprised to learn that they are all fools

Anecdotally, I personally notice a big difference if I let the meat rest

• Like 1

Every chef in the world rests their meat. I'm not talking about Internet rib guy, I mean David Chang, Thomas Keller, and Ferran Adria

Would be surprised to learn that they are all fools

Anecdotally, I personally notice a big difference if I let the meat rest

They're all fools, I tell ya! There all fools.

Every chef in the world? I doubt it. I've seen enough of those food tv specials on steaks, and they're pulling them off the heat and serving them right away.

I'm guessing that you didn't read the article, the part where they don't rest steaks at Peter Luger's? They cut them, immediately. They know a little bit more about steaks than we do.

In any case, we can just agree to disagree at this point. I knew that my remarks could stir up a few responses.

In that vein, Gas or Charcoal? ;)

• Like 1

All in the context.

Had you said "Personally, I don't rest the meat because I've read from some chefs that it doesn't make a difference and it hasn't in my own experience." This would be a different discussion. But you know that. You pot stirrer you.

I myself, much like Zoony, have noticed a difference with resting meat. Especially with flank steak. I do wrap it in foil though. Which doesn't disagree with the tail end of your point.

Flank steak is expensive. It sucks. I use it for my tailgate staple in which I slice it, lay it on bacon strips, and roll them up and stick a toothpick in. Season the rolls. And then throw them on the grill at the tailgate. Hard to go wrong. I've taken them to tailgates at Fedex of course, in Charlottesville (Go Hoos!), Happy Valley, Morgantown, and a few others and have yet to get a complaint. But at between $19-25 per flank steak, it becomes a pricy affair.

Also...

Charcoal and/or wood.

Edited by jpage520

I still like the Briquets because they are consistent and far more predictable, but lately I have been buying the all natural variety

It's easy to go down the wormhole. Next thing you know you are buying lump charcoal from an Internet dealer in Oklahoma for $60/bag. I will stick to Kingsford I guess.

There are so many more important and wide ranging variables when it comes to cooking that I just don't see the need personally.

As for wood chips, I use them very sparingly. Fruit tree wood is always a good choice as is hickory and mesquite. Depends on the meat. But regardless I like to taste meat first, then hint of smoke. Not the opposite

I bought some strips for mothers day $23.99 / lbs

Put it was prime. I rarely eat steak anymore but when I do I want to taste it.

Here's a picture. As a general rule, I LOATHE grass fed beef. However, I've never seen grass fed with this kind of marbling. I bought them and damn, best steak ever. As another note, I have not purchased steak from a grocery store in over 5 years. Once you find a legit local source it's impossible to buy at the grocery

I do buy hamburger meat and chicken at the grocery though because we eat so much of it

post-120783-0-31009700-1462885179_thumb.

All in the context.

Had you said "Personally, I don't rest the meat because I've read from some chefs that it doesn't make a difference and it hasn't in my own experience." This would be a different discussion. But you know that. You pot stirrer you.

I myself, much like Zoony, have noticed a difference with resting meat. Especially with flank steak. I do wrap it in foil though. Which doesn't disagree with the tail end of your point.

Flank steak is expensive. It sucks. I use it for my tailgate staple in which I slice it, lay it on bacon strips, and roll them up and stick a toothpick in. Season the rolls. And then throw them on the grill at the tailgate. Hard to go wrong. I've taken them to tailgates at Fedex of course, in Charlottesville (Go Hoos!), Happy Valley, Morgantown, and a few others and have yet to get a complaint. But at between $19-25 per flank steak, it becomes a pricy affair.

Also...

Charcoal and/or wood.

Agreed. It used to be.my "go-to", but it costs nearly as much as ribeye. The cost of flank steak is a joke. Years ago, it was cheap. The expense of serving flank, at the ES tailgates, was getting so costly, that I started to augment them with London broil. I marinate, at least 24 hrs, and toss them in a foil pan, to rest ;)

I slice them, in bite size strips,toss them in the juice. Since our tailgate is so large, Mrs Skinfan takes the pan around, and serves people.

It's just a matter of time, when the cost of remaining cheaper cuts start to go up.

Oh, I prefer charcoal and wood, but will use the gasser in a pinch.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

My absolute favorite thing to put in the smoker, I have a weber electric that works ok, are rainbow trout.  I mean ones I caught not farm raised supermarket trout though they might be ok, never tried them.  I'll put my fish up against any sable or white fish from any high price delicatessen and the jewish half of my family has often concurred.

They represent a whole big pile of good for me to begin with, from shopping for fishing gear (the only shopping I like) before the trip, camping somewhere in the Rockies to rationalizing a beer in the morning when I fire up the smoker.

Talking about wood, here is my thinking.

Oak or pecan for beef.  Hickory for pork.  Mesquite or fruit wood for fish, turkey or chicken.  

• Like 3

Sams Club typically has some pretty good prices on meat, some good quality too.

Giant typically runs a great special somewhat regularly. Maybe once a month or so where they sell Smithfield pork tenderloins as BOGO free. Love that deal. Especially since those loins tend to be a little smaller and since I'm typically just cooking for my wife and I it's perfect. But they also have some good prices on the big 4-6lb loins. They're not quite as lean. But I use them for pulled pork. Mostly for the same reasons I like the smaller tenderloins for roasting. Since it's just us two, I don't really want to go buy a big shoulder and end up wasting anything.

I should hopefully be getting my new charcoal grill with sidecar for smoking next week. I took a couple days off for a long weekend/mini vacation as a birthday present to myself. Going to Philly one day for a DC United game, but should I have the grill by then I'm thinking of doing a long cook on a nice brisket. Long marinade, and then get things fired up at the crack of dawn and let that bad boy smoke for the whole morning and be eating brisket sandwiches by the early evening.

whole briskets I prefer to smoke twelve hrs then wrap and leave on another 8-10

cut one up last week to do the morning/evening thing.

tried the Stubbs Dr Pepper sauce on it tonight, not bad for store bought

beef prices should be coming down over the summer

• Like 1

I did some burgers on the Slow N Sear yesterday. Delicious. Just make sure if you're doing hot/direct, you dump out the water trough first. One of the burgers dripped into it and was popping and splattering hot grease in a little bit of leftover water from the previous cooking.

I don't eat a lot of veggies. I've hated most of them since I was little but I want to eat more. So I I'm trying to roast some broccoli this week. I heard it was the best way to serve it and add flavor to it.

I guess we will see..

If you're already grilling meat, just take some foil, put some broccoli and cauliflower in it, drizzle with olive oil, wrap it up and stick it on the indirect part of the grill too.

We like asparagus lightly grilled too with a some EVOO.

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 1

I don't eat a lot of veggies. I've hated most of them since I was little but I want to eat more. So I I'm trying to roast some broccoli this week. I heard it was the best way to serve it and add flavor to it.

I guess we will see..

You can grill broccoli. Slice it in half, lengthwise, marinate it in Italian dressing, for an hour, or, or so, and grill it over med-high heat, until tender-crisp. You can also brush a little BBQ sauce at the end, and cook until the sauce starts to caramelize.

• Like 2

Beef in general is getting more expensive.  Sometimes what I will do is go to the store and pick up whatever is on the flash sale....usually stuff they are trying to hurry up and sell due to incoming replacement inventory.

Also, get schooled up in working with big cuts of meat and it will save you a ton of money.  Buying the big cuts that need a little more love and front-end maintenance often saves you quite a few dollars per pound, and the trimming/cutting required isn't even that difficult. 

• Like 1