Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What poignant moments from film or TV have always stuck with you?

Morrison J

1.  The final 2 minutes of Rudy has me in tears every time:  Rudy being placed on the field, getting the sack, being carried off the field by teammates, his family, his friends, the defensive coaches & and the stadium janitor being so happy for him...it all signifies so much.  I love an underdog triumph story.

2.  The little girl wearing red in Schindler's List

3.  I'll think of some more...

That was what I posted too.  When we would watch Rudy, my wife enjoyed watching me during the last scene to see me get choked up so she could make fun of me lol.   

My mom made me watch Mommy Dearest back in 1981 (I was six years old) because I kept saying she was mean to me and she wanted to show me how good I had it.  For the record, my mom was great and not abusive by any means.  

It changed my whole entire perspective of "mean" and just how lucky I was watching Joan Crawford (actress who played her) beating her kid with a wire clothes hanger.

My wife made me watch Mommy Dearest when we got married because she hates dry cleaner hangers. She beats me with them if I don't throw them away after I take my dress shirt off of the hanger. 

::True Story meme:: 

Key TV moments:

• Watching live when Neil Armstrong steps onto the moon
  • Watching my mom watch the news the day John F. Kennedy was shot
  • The look on John Wayne's face during "D-Day" when he saw the paratroopers hanging from the trees in Sainte-Mère-Église

John_Wayne_in_The_Longest_Day_trailer.jp

Edit: Forgot one - I'm getting old because this is probably my all-time favorite movie. Especially during the Christmas holidays (the setting for this movie). If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. Then thank a WWII vet -- Stalag 17 movie when Sefton (William Holden) outs the spy Price (Peter Graves) in front of everyone in the barracks:

ACH+SO.jpg

I like Black Adder, but Predicto's right,, season one is only remarkable in how LARGE the mouth is of the man who plays King richard.

(Brian Blessed, I think..    holy smokes. the guy could eat a tree in one bite. he is the cliché Shakespearean act-or )

season 2 on when Stephen fry starts getting involved..  hilarious. 

And yeah, the last episode is pretty interesting, especally given the entire series was basically historical send-ups.

~Bang

Shawshank Redemption has so many moments. Just thinking about it right now makes me want to put the blu-ray in.

However, the two moments that stand out to me the most are both in The Natural.

During the hot streak after Hobbs is on the team. When the guys are messing around during practice and Hobbs is walking to the dugout the catcher and batter tell him to throw it in. He throws a single pitch leaving everyone speechless...it's the moment where they all realise he has transcended human mortality and is a baseball god.

The second scene is a quick shot during the final homerun. As Hobbs rounds third, the camera shows the skipper in darkness in the dugout with only the raining sparks reflecting off his glasses. Gives me chills.

The beginning of The Professional when Natalie Portman's entire family gets rocked off and she knocks on Jean Reno's door hoping to escape.

When Charlotte dies at the end of Charlotte's Web. 

A Single Man when Colin Firth gets the phone call that his partner died in a car accident. 

When Culkin died at the end of My Girl.  ****ing bees?  really?  :(

Oldboy (the original, **** Spike Lee) when our hero realized what he had done (possibly the darkest and most twisted form of revenge I've ever seen)

When Michael Clark Deezy gets executed in the Green Mile. :( "don't put me in the dark, boss."  and the scene where he removes the cancer from the guard's wife....unreal. 

The ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  My goddddd :(

Dead Man Walking when Sean Penn admits to what he did and asks Susan Sarandon (a nun) for forgiveness. For me, that was the most powerful scene in the history of cinema. I was crying and felt sorry for a murderer/rapist. Niagara Falls.

maybe its the music, which is down right beautiful.  maybe its sean and susan's chemistry as their characters bond throughout the movie and everything builds up to this scene.  first time I ever cried watching a film....this had to be like 1995 or 1996.

Friday Night Lights (TV), First episode: 

Eric Taylor: [voiceover] Give all of us gathered here tonight the strength to remember that life is so very fragile. We are all vulnerable, and we will all, at some point in our lives... fall. We will all fall. We must carry this in our hearts... that what we have is special. That it can be taken from us, and when it is taken from us, we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. We will now all be tested. It is these times, it is this pain, that allows us to look inside ourselves.

Archived