Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Fully Analyzed 2015 NFL Draft Position Thread *Thread cleared, Redskins pick 5th in 2015*

Forehead

I don't care about draft position this year.  ****ting on the Eagles felt too good.  It's not like we ruined our chance to get a once in a generation talent this draft.

Oh no doubt.  I won't root for the Skins to lose, I just recognize it would probably benefit us more in the long run, whether we have a chance to draft slightly better talent or have more attractive picks to dangle in trades.  That being said, knocking the Eagles out of the playoffs still feels damn good.

Back to 6th, behind the Jags and Jets.  We'd only (potentially) go to 7th if we win next week and Atlanta loses both their remaining games.

If Oakland wins, I assume we still move up one?

Edit.  Nope.  If Oakland wins, they fall behind Jags and Jets.  But they'd still be in front of us, because they'd have 3 wins, and we have 4. 

Screw this thread now. Let's finish this season on a high note and spoil it for the cowgirls.

I'm still going to update it next Tuesday, but it's going to be a much quicker update because our range will be much smaller.  Still feels satisfying to all but knock Philly out.  Great consolation prize, and we didn't drop too far for it.

Exactly.  This team, and many ES posters, keep thinking you can build a quality OL on the cheap.  Look at which OL we've drafted since 2001.  It's frighteningly bad with 1 exception.  It's also 3rd rounders and worse (and usually worse) with 1 exception.  Figure out what kind of blocking scheme you want to run, use as many picks as will be better than the best we have here on OL*, and then develop them as a cohesive unit.  Look at the Hogs.  The only vet there originally was Starke.  We drafted May (1st) and Grimm (2nd) in 1981, added young Eagle cast-off Bostic and UDFA Jacoby.  They jelled as a unit and established themselves pretty damn quickly.  Do it.

*This means, leaving aside Williams, if we can replace a starter with a draftee whom we think can start from day 1, do it.  Think about this for a moment:  when was the last time, other than a guy we took with the #4 overall, we started a rookie OL?  If we can start a rook anywhere on the OL next year, it means we are eliminating the dysmalness (dysmality?) that has plagued us for years.

Grimm was a third round pick, we traded our second that year for Joe Washington. 

The Hogs were created on the cheap over all.  One first rounder, a third, two guys who weren't drafted(Bostic was an Eagle before he was a Skin but he was still a low round pick) and a low round vet.

Honestly I sometimes think the construction of the Hogs is why we try to get guys on the cheap.  Snyder is trying to build a team like Gibbs1

Whether or not I felt like we should essentially root for a loss against Dallas completely came down to this eagles game.

Lose against the Eagles and we're pretty much assured a top 5 pick if we lost to Dallas, and potentially the #2 pick. This is valuable, not just for who we could potentially take but as exceptionally good trade bait.

Win here, and there's little harm in beating Dallas. We drop down into that 6-10 range with the win against the eagles, but we're unlikely to fall outside of the top 10 even if we beat Dallas.

As such, right now I'm rooting that (Bold more likely):

- The Giants beat the Rams or the Eagles

- Chicago beat the Lions or the Vikings

- Falcons beat the Saints or Panthers

I think those are all legitimate possibilities. If they happen, we can beat the Cowboys and still retain the #6 pick.

Beat me to it. Once they knew they could afford a win and still get Luck they won two in a row and no I am not crazy. Lots of teams tank

So you're saying Jim Caldwell intentionally coached to lose games so that a franchise could draft Andrew Luck after they fired him? What exactly was in it for him?

I believe the Falcons were the only five win team that was a threat since they play in the same ****ty division as the Bucs.  Now that they've won, there's no potential issue there.  The only other team with five wins right now is the Bears.  I've never actually tracked them, so I'm doing a little eyeballing of the schedule here, and they could be a threat, I'm not sure.  They had the Jets and Bucs on their schedule, as well as the rest of the ****ty NFC South, but they also have the Packers and Lions counting a total of four times against them as well as the 12 win Patriots, so I doubt they're a threat, but I'll check to make sure.

It may be that beating Dallas next week wouldn't harm us at all draft position wise.

So you're saying Jim Caldwell intentionally coached to lose games so that a franchise could draft Andrew Luck after they fired him? What exactly was in it for him?

Caldwell coached the players they gave him at the best of his abilities. It's already been documented that Polian wanted to trade for Kyle Orton when It became apparent that the Broncos wanted to move on from him but couldn't work out a deal. Then for some reason when Orton was waived, the worst team in the league (colts) didn't even put in a waiver claim. Irsay tanked by not allowing anyone to improve the team. The only reason Caldwell and Polian won't talk about it is because they don't want to be blackballed by future NFL employers.

I can't even believe people still try to act like it didn't happen lol. This was a team that had won 10+ games for nearly ten seasons in a row and then suddenly they can't win a game when Luck was going to be in the draft. Yeah, okay...

You realize how irrational that is?

1.Like all coaches contracts, his money was guaranteed.

2. Losing and getting fired cost him money in the future.

If they tell him to play X style, where X = tank, and he refuses, he's fired for cause.  For cause = no money.  I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's hardly irrational.  Most likely, whether he tanked and went 2-14 or busted a nut and ended up 4-12 wouldn't matter.  Caldwell was not long for the Colts.

Archived