Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Gimme Michael Johnson DE. Just got cut be Tampa Bay. For the right money would love him as a sotuational/subpackage pass rusher.

Are you serious, Greenie? Johnson doesn't even fit the scheme Barry is going to implement. Most of the time, I agree with you. But this time, you are completely wrong. :ph34r:

Why would we get rid of Jackson or Garcon? With the cap going up their contracts wont even be in the top 25 WR's.

Nothing wrong with keeping players 30 or older, its an issue when you sign FA's that are 30 and older.

Garcon is my dude, but I REALLY hope our plan is to keep DeSean Jackson. If by mid season, he is playing at the level he did last year, we need to just go ahead and extend his contract. I dont want dude to even sniff FA. Just wrap him up. If Garcon stays to, cool, but DJAX needs to be a Redskin for LIFE. Dude puts points on the board, regardless of who is @ QB.....Make those Eagles fans sick to their stomach everytime he makes a big play for us....

The Patriots, too, have found tons of success by adding players who started their careers elsewhere.

Big difference between the way the Patriots use free agency and the way we have. The Patriots make players prove that they are still focused on winning by taking less money to come play for a top flight organization that has a chance to compete for a championship every year. Redskins free agents proved that they were not focused on winning by signing with the Redskins, preferring the big contract even though it would mean playing for a dysfunctional organization with no chance of competing.

Agree with WarFace. We need an Art Monk type to pair him with! Tall, fearless across the middle with sure hands! 15 yard chunks! End zone fades! Captain Clutch!

Yep, I want DeSean to be the better version of Santana Moss....We got a lot of good productive years out of Moss. There's room at the WR position to add other receivers to do what DJax doesnt specialize in. No reason we can not find a way to keep DJAX on our squad for many more years. 

Are you serious, Greenie? Johnson doesn't even fit the scheme Barry is going to implement:

Always serious....well usually......98.9% of the time.....maybe a lil less......or just this time....who knows anymore?

Is your post serious with the whole "Johnson doesn't fit the scheme" thing?

Of course he fits the scheme. Like most teams we'll be in nickel more often then base personnel. Meaning ~60% of the time with 4 down defensive lineman.

And that's where Johnson would fit....which btw is what I said:

Situational/sub package pass rusher

Stats like this make me so relieved McCloughan is here. Its ALL about the draft if you want to build a consistent contender. 

s2gpdf.jpg

Favre and Rodgers vs Garrard, Henne, and Bortles.  When you have the QB, the rest tends to fall into line and your drafts look a whole lot better.

It's easier to neglect free agents when you have Aaron Rodgers. The Seahawks have used it, so have the Ravens and several other successful teams.

Everyone uses it - even the Packers. But the better you draft the less you need it.

If you look at teams that are heavy players in free agency you can look at their last couple of drafts and see a lot of picks that have not worked out. I do agree that hitting on a top 5 QB papers over a lot of cracks as well - but then that's back to good (or lucky) drafting.

Stats like this make me so relieved McCloughan is here. Its ALL about the draft if you want to build a consistent contender. 

Right.....now we only have to wait 5 more years of drafting for the results to pay off.  I'm all about building a team through the draft.  We chose not to address the lines over the past decade and it's cost us greatly.  

I'm all for the "right direction" and long term, it would pan out great.  But with all the gaping holes on both sides of the ball we have, we cannot simply build through the draft.  We are going to have to snag at least one or two B grade FAs to help get us going.

Yet we continue to sign D talent.  Also, lets not forget who our owner is.  

Right.....now we only have to wait 5 more years of drafting for the results to pay off.  I'm all about building a team through the draft.  We chose not to address the lines over the past decade and it's cost us greatly.  

I'm all for the "right direction" and long term, it would pan out great.  But with all the gaping holes on both sides of the ball we have, we cannot simply build through the draft.  We are going to have to snag at least one or two B grade FAs to help get us going.

I dont view Paea as D talent. Lets see how the next week of FA goes and who we sign. I dont think we are sitting back on our heels, I just think there really arent any leaks anymore. No one knew we were that close to signing Rolle until he mentioned it after signing with the Bears.

I dont view Paea as D talent. Lets see how the next week of FA goes and who we sign. I dont think we are sitting back on our heels, I just think there really arent any leaks anymore. No one knew we were that close to signing Rolle until he mentioned it after signing with the Bears.

That's the grade he was given on ESPN.  Granted, I think he was better than a D too, maybe C or C+.  With a solid, stud NT, his grade could move up a B, assuming we keep a 3-4 base.  

Good point, I was shocked to wake up today and even knew we contacted Rolle.  I really hate this time of year.  

Paea got a D on ESPN? WTF?

PFF rates him the 2nd best DL in the free agent class behind Suh ... and we got him for $5m a year. I get that he's not a super start DL but how can he be graded as a D?

It was Bill Polian's rankings. They didn't make much sense.

Here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/best150303/ndamukong-suh-tops-list-best-available-2015-free-agents-nfl

But of course it's Insider only, so I can't view it.

But of course it's Insider only, so I can't view it.

I'm an Insider ... I went through the article and Paea is strictly left off all-together. Polian only goes through C- grades and trust me ... if Paea were left off because he graded below those C- players, there's just no way that's possible. Just not possible. Literally every other FA was listed under C that wasn't considered what would amount to a Top 30 FA that graded C+ or above. 

Think that was an oversight by Polian. No way a 26 year old DT coming off a 6 sack season doesn't get ranked above Terrance Cody and Latroy Guin, DTs listed at C-

I'm not discarding Free Agency's importance completely. Just noting the draft is where Championships are won. You don't build a contender through FA alone but you can through the draft alone. It doesn't have to take 5 years either. Hit on 3 solid contributors each year and it makes a massive difference. McCloughan clearly understands that. 

Paea got a D on ESPN? WTF?

PFF rates him the 2nd best DL in the free agent class behind Suh ... and we got him for $5m a year. I get that he's not a super start DL but how can he be graded as a D?

Looked at a couple of more sites and they all have Paea ranked as the 6th best interior defense lineman that hit FA.  Suh, Fairley, Knighton, Williams, Odrick, were ahead of Paea.

I think we got him for a good value and I don't dislike the signing.  But, I think pairing him up with a known stud like Knighton or Fairley would allow him to perform better.  I don't think just plugging him in to an already sub-par line is going to suddenly turn around performance.

I'm not discarding Free Agency's importance completely. Just noting the draft is where Championships are won. You don't build a contender through FA alone but you can through the draft alone. It doesn't have to take 5 years either. Hit on 3 solid contributors each year and it makes a massive difference. McCloughan clearly understands that. 

I know you can't win on FA alone.  I want us to build through the draft.  I think your reaching though to think we will hit on 3 solid contributors per year from the draft, consecutively for 3 years.  Assuming you are talking about landing 3 starters.  And by starters, I mean they could start on any team, not just ours.

He also seemed to have left off CJ Spiller, Dan Williams, and originally forgot Brian Orakpo, per the comments. Looks like a pretty sloppy article.

Oh and he had Da'Norris Searcy as a C ... eh

Here is a link to what I read from the ESPN website:  http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2015&position=32&type=-1   (you don't have to be an insider to just see the rank - you just dont get his analysis I think).

One thing I noticed on Polian's list is he did not rank them in order of best player, he ranked them by his grade, then by alphabetical order.  If you look in the D grades.  So he is not saying those other horrible DTs are better than Paea.  

With that said, all the other rankings I saw landed Paea around 6th.  I'm fine with signing him, especially for the contract we gave him.  I just think we need to add at least Knighton or Fairley.  That would provide us with a stud at NT or DT (if we switch back to 4-3) and I think it would raise Paea's level of play and allow us to take advantage of his contract.

Archived