Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

The Raiders did let him walk for Hudson ... but it is the Raiders. NFL Radio guys were talking about how weird that was, to let a top flight homegrown talent walk to bring in a high-priced replacement from outside. Said Wisnewski always first in first out, so not like he isn't a good locker room guy. Compared to Veldheer leaving last year then bringing in Saffold (before failed physical)

Wiz's market has also been pretty cold. The visit with the Bucs and some interest from the Bears is about all he's gotten I think. Maybe asking for too much money or other teams don't like him as a run blocker? I'd give him a call.

Wiz's market has also been pretty cold. The visit with the Bucs and some interest from the Bears is about all he's gotten I think. Maybe asking for too much money or other teams don't like him as a run blocker? I'd give him a call.

Or just 'mind games'. Its weird that Raiders let him go that easy. GM's will wonder is there something wrong?

Where also just two days in. Lot of interesting FA's left that are going to be signed to NFL rosters.

Did he just tell us to stay medium?

Sounds like it.  He didn't say anything about Tanard though...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 5m5 minutes ago

#Bucs announced a 4-year deal for LB Bruce Carter, getting a bit more athletic. The former Cowboys is familiar with the scheme of course.

Really like Carter.  If healthy he just isn't human he's so good.

Yeah, I would've liked to have given Carter a look.  He's versatile enough to play both ILB spots, which I think would've given us some flexibility behind KRob.  But, I think he's probably best suited running strongside in 4-3.  Not surprised that Lovie is giving him a deal.  

Is there anyone behind/after Knighton that would be worth a look?  How do you guys feel about Cox?  What were the red flags on him?  Knucklehead?  Run ins with the police?

Sounds like it.  He didn't say anything about Tanard though...

Really like Carter.  If healthy he just isn't human he's so good.

oh well...

Carter with Lavonte David, very athletic linebackers for them.

Eagles sign Ryan Mathews and traded for Bradford.  They now have the most fragile backfield in the nfl.

I have never seen anything like this... wth are the eagles doing... there has to be a method to their madness but i cant make out what it could be... strange

worse than the ol' ball coach bringing in trung candidate, danny awful n shame mathews

I like Knighton. Shelton is scary and I think overrated with a major buyer beware tag.

Yeah sure he had 9 sacks as a DT this past year, but 7 of those came against Hawaii, Eastern Washington, and Georgia St.

He had 1 full sack and 2 half sacks in Pac 12 play.... and the Pac 12 isn't the SEC

Finally. Someone else who shares my viewpoint. Shelton is not a top 10 talent. Seems like everyone else here is willing to take him at 5. Thats ridiculous in my book.

Finally. Someone else who shares my viewpoint. Shelton is not a top 10 talent. Seems like everyone else here is willing to take him at 5. Thats ridiculous in my book.

I think our GM might agree with you too based on who he's trying to sign in FA.

Well it's working to laugh at the Eagles and console ourselves they're done so why not for our own team?  

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I wish I could join in the laughter at the Eagles, but I get most of the moves he's making.

oh well...

In reference to?

I wish I could join in the laughter at the Eagles, but I get most of the moves he's making.

On defense he's making fantastic moves.  Also cleared up money by not having to re-sign Shady.

On offense, he's grasping a bit and showing his hubris.  I like that in a HC, but it could back fire hard on him.

I want to go on record as saying his offense will continue to decline, a decline which started after he felt like Jackson was expendable.

Cox was charged with sexual assault.  Demaryius Thomas was present at incident in question.  Thomas testified that Cox was lying.  In the end, Cox was acquitted.  

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20088034

Cox got off on a technicality.  He raped an unconscious girl who was semi-dating Thomas (he was totally cool with it at the time and actually carried her into Cox's bedroom and said "she ready") and the girl had no idea what happened in the morning.  Cox denied raping her but OOPS! she turned out to be pregnant with his kid.

Only reason Cox got off is because his lawyer baited the victim into admitting that she wouldn't have minded if Thomas was having sex with her in that inebriated state bc they had a prior relationship.  Cox still had to settle with the girl out of court on the civil suit.

So yeah, the guy is more than just a 'knuckle-head'... he's kind of a really ****ed up dude.

I think Kelly is really confident that his strength and conditioning system will keep these guys healthier. With Bradford he's likely relying on his system to get rid of the ball quicker and take fewer hits. It may work out really well. On top of it all, he's cleared a ton of money off the books. Paying top dollar for a RB is one of the biggest wastes of cap space. It's all making sense to me. My only issue is that he's now relying on Mathews to pass block and the fact that he's yet to go a full season with a healthy QB. That could spell doom for Bradford. There's no question he needed Sanchez back. He may be starting by week 6. Kelly has done really well his first two seasons. He definitely deserves more benefit of the doubt than anyone with our team, quite frankly.

Edit: that's not to mention that the NFC East ain't exactly like the NFC West when it comes to pass rush.

I'd be fine with a Knighton signing.  He's just a solidly positive guy.  Not amazing, but good.  A team friendly 4 year deal would be alright with me.

Paea, Hatcher, and Knighton (with Ricky in rotation) would be a solid DL for this year.  We still need 1 guy for 2016 for Hatcher and probably another guy somewhere in the 2017-18 range for Knighton, but it's a good start.

Browner and Cox visits are interesting.  Still hoping we get in on the Gilchrist sweepstakes, though calling it a sweepstakes inherently makes it less likely we'll get it on it.

Regarding the Eagles, well, their moves...sorta make sense in some regards, but I'm also puzzled by some.

Chip saying they aren't interested in trading up for Mariota seems weird, especially if they were offered a 1st rounder for Bradford.  I mean, with two firsts THIS year, you're significantly limiting long term damage.

It strikes me as something that would happen if Chip didn't really like Mariota a lot, which speaks volumes, and could hurt his draft spot.  Alternatively Chip is lying about everything.

It would make sense for the Eagles to loudly proclaim their disinterest at this point if they WERE interested.  Clayton just said Redskins were interested in Mariota, which I think might be a smokescreen, but even if it is, the mere possibility of us taking him turns pick #5 into the nexus for all Mariota trades, which is exactly what we want.

Eagles had to respond.  Chip proclaiming his disinterest, and throwing out the nugget that they were offered a 1st for Bradford, only further shows their "disinterest."  It's like Chip is saying "Hey, we're so not interested that we turned down a trade offer that could have almost allowed us to get Mariota with minimal extra cost!"

It strikes me as borderline "the lady doth protest too much."

Of course, Chip also had to throw in the "I think he's the best QB in the draft" line to ensure that if/when they trade up on draft day (possibly with Bradford thrown in), there won't be any friction.

My pet theory (which I in no way fully believe):

- Rams wanted Foles

- Rams had offers from 3 teams for Bradford (we'll say...Browns, Jets, and Eagles)

- Rams took Eagles to get Foles; Jets meanwhile backed off realizing they could go from flat trading pick for Bradford to trading Pick for Bradford AND a pick.

- Browns, who aren't in Mariota drafting range, called and offered their 1st to Eagles

- Eagles, who want to trade up to #6 and get Mariota, declined, intending to use Bradford in trade with Jets, who have agreement with Eagles on draft day trade plan

- Redskins let slip to Clayton their interest in Mariota, drives up Mariota value and pushes all trade up talks to #5 spot.

- Eagles in turn declare disinterest in Mariota, and loudly mention their 1st round offer for Bradford, hoping to lower # of teams in running and drop value.

- Come draft day, Eagles throw #20 plus Bradford (and maybe something else) to Jets for #6.

- Eagles then can either A) call our bluff, or B ) trade up far less for Mariota.  There's a reason the Bradford trade involved the #2 NEXT year.

*cue Game of Thrones theme set to Frank Underwood walking around*

Geez, I didn't know that about Cox and D Thomas. I'd prefer he stay far away as possible from this team. What is wrong with people?

I think Kelly is really confident that his strength and conditioning system will keep these guys healthier. With Bradford he's likely relying on his system to get rid of the ball quicker and take fewer hits. It may work out really well. On top of it all, he's cleared a ton of money off the books. Paying top dollar for a RB is one of the biggest wastes of cap space. It's all making sense to me. My only issue is that he's now relying on Mathews to pass block and the fact that he's yet to go a full season with a healthy QB. That could spell doom for Bradford. There's no question he needed Sanchez back. He may be starting by week 6. Kelly has done really well his first two seasons. He definitely deserves more benefit of the doubt than anyone with our team, quite frankly.

Edit: that's not to mention that the NFC East ain't exactly like the NFC West when it comes to pass rush.

Yeah but they are also strong in the running for Murray too which would help keep Bradford upright. And I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but it's going to be easier staying healthy against the East than going up against the Cards, 49ers and Seahawks defenses 6 times a year

Archived