Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Chip Kelly must really believe in that super duper anti-injury system I keep hearing about.  Every single new guy has a history of injuries.

One Sooner is still missing... w/ said injury history...

You are delusional.  Please feel free to elaborate on how our roster is better than 2012 to back up your ridiculous assumption.  

The only position better since 2012 is WR with the addition of DJax.  Now with Roberts looking like a failed project, we really have DJax and Garcon.  

Granted, the success of 2012 was more running the read option and taking everyone off guard because we actually had a QB that had the speed to pull it off.  I also didn't reference that season for what its worth.  

Again, outside of upgrading the #1 WR spot, what have we done to significantly improve the team?  Our oline is one of the worst in the league outside Trent.  Outside Hall, our defensive backfield is a mess.  Our D-line is undersized and not suited for a true 3-4.  Our middle linebackers are weak/average.

Our best defensive players are our ROLB and LOLB and we are going to lose Orakpo, with only Kerrigan being a gem.  

Our WRs are strong 1-2, TE is injury prone, doesn't matter anyhow cause the QB gets sacked within 2 seconds of the snap before they can get open.

We are good at RB with Morris, but not being able to throw the ball allows teams to shut down the running game.  And don't even get me started with the QB play, granted, nobody is going to do anything behind that o-line.

But yeah.......it's not going to take 3-4 years of drafting/FA to fix this team  :rolleyes:

It's close, but I would agree with him that this roster is better than the 2012 one.  Not by a lot, but still better.

QB = Push, since it's the same guy. And even if it's Cousins, I can't see him being better than 2012 RG3.

RB = Push, but I wanna say incomplete, since we just lost Helu a couple days ago

WR = Advantage 2015.  Cuz remember Josh Morgan was the #2 in 2012. 

TE = 2015

OL = Push.  That's really an incomplete too presuming somebody comes in as a starter at RG or RT

DL = 2015

LB = 2015

CB = 2012

S = Push.  This is an incomplete since we don't have any at the moment.

K = 2015

P = 2015

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Dallas now calling around for other RBs. Cowboys know they've lost DeMarco Murray to the Eagles.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if I were Dallas.  Sure, they rode Murray for all he was worth, but they'll sign Spiller or Reggie Bush  or somebody like that and will have the opportunity to draft Gurley or Brown and keep it movin'. 

If we get Browner i bet they would want him to move To a Safety Spot!!! I wouldnt want that he's a beast on the line!!!(press Coverage)

Of course they would have him play FS, that's what the Redskins do. The just signed a 4-3 DT and are going to make him a DE, their biggest move last year was to sign a DE that excelled in a 4-3 defense in Dallas and made him a 3-4 DE. Barry Cofield was miscast as a NT for years. Orakpo was a DE at Texas and Haslett had him playing OLB in pass coverage, I've seen in different draft guides that Amerson would be best as a FS not a CB and Compton should be playing G not RT. The guard from last years free agent class was a RG in Cleveland but played awful all year at LG in Washington, I guess they didn't want to mess with all the success they were having with Chris Chester at RG. They moved Niles Paul from WR to TE and I haven't seen him throw a block yet. I'm not sure what Trent Murphy is a LB or DE. I think Lorenzo Alexander played everything but QB and CB. Some of the players returing kicks like Paul and Josh Morgan have been mind boggling. 

Seem to be a lot of former McCloughlan guys hitting the market.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

McC 1.0 is hitting the market cause they're all older.

Bryant was drafted in 2008 by Seattle, he was still in San Fran then I think.

Folk around these parts still don't realise what a top class talent he was coming out. Kid had it all.

Injury ruined a potential great career IMHO.

Hail.

Meh... I still vomit in my mouth a little at the draft.

And most of our drafts.

He definitely had the tools, no argument there, but I don't know if he had the heart and he certainly didn't have the health which is unfortunate.

Not a bad deal for the Bears or McPhee...

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 3m3 minutes ago

Pernell McPhee $38.75 base value Bears deal: $15.5M gtd, $2.5M bonus, $5M 2015 roster bonus; salaries $1M, $7M, $6.95M, $7.2M, $7.625M

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 4m4 minutes ago

Pernell McPhee has $200,000 roster bonuses in 2017, 2018, 2019, annual $175,000 workout bonus

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider 3m3 minutes ago

Pernell McPhee $5 million roster bonus is due on the fourth day of the league year, so this week

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if I were Dallas.  Sure, they rode Murray for all he was worth, but they'll sign Spiller or Reggie Bush  or somebody like that and will have the opportunity to draft Gurley or Brown and keep it movin'. 

Losing DeMarco won't be the problem for Dallas.  It's losing Bruce Carter, Justin Durant, Henry Melton, Dwayne Harris, and Jeremy Parnell so far.  Their linebacking corps, actually a strength last year, have been weakened dramatically.  It will be an interesting year for the Cowboys.  HTTR 

I think Murray is a much better fit than Gore for Drip's offense.  Mathews is also a good fit.  Again, I'm in the minority, but I think Bradford's a good fit.  It'll be interesting to see if they can all stay on the field.  Drip's moves have been kinda wild, so he'll reap the whirlwind if it doesn't pan out.  Cross your fingers...

I like how we're being patient, some more guys will hit market.  I'd be shocked if Golson doesn't get a hard look.  

But, I can't help but laugh when I think about FA last year.  It was the same "we're not overpaying people!  We're being so patient! Our FO has turned the corner!"  I know SM has a better track record than Bruce, but it still makes me laugh. :)

PLEASE let him wind up here. 

Hail. 

It's starting to bother me that the Skins have embraced the mindset that they're not willing to budge from a set budget for a player.  This practice got us the worst safety tandem in the league last year.  And their selection of FA offensive lineman last year was a complete failure.  I'm tired of marginal talent being the players we end up signing.

We have a need at both safety positions...sign a freaking player and stop being so damn cheap!

HTTR

It's starting to bother me that the Skins have embraced the mindset that they're not willing to budge from a set budget for a player.  This practice got us the worst safety tandem in the league last year.  And their selection of FA offensive lineman last year was a complete failure.  I'm tired of marginal talent being the players we end up signing.

We have a need at both safety positions...sign a freaking player and stop being so damn cheap!

HTTR

That's how we got in this mess in the first place. The good teams go into FA with a plan and a price for each players. Notice that GB/Pitt hardly ever sign any big name FAs?

Yes, we could use help at safety. But spending big money one someone just to say we addressed the position, isn't always the correct way to go.

It's starting to bother me that the Skins have embraced the mindset that they're not willing to budge from a set budget for a player.  This practice got us the worst safety tandem in the league last year.  

I find it kind of refreshing after years and years of over spending and being off season champs.  Paea is one hell of a player but no one gets excited because he isn't the marquee star free agent.    McCloughan is trying to change the culture and core and to change the culture  you can't afford to throw cash around. 

Our oline is one of the worst in the league outside Trent. 

:rolleyes:

I agree that our oline needs some upgrading at spots, but our oline isn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.  Kory Lichtensteiger is a very good C.  Terrible QB play made them look much worse than they are.  That said, I would like to see the two G spots upgraded with bigger, stronger guys to push those dlinemen backwards, so we can feel confident getting a 1st down on 3rd and 1 or a TD on those 3rd and Goals at the one or two yard line.

..... I'm tired of marginal talent being the players we end up signing.

HTTR

Have faith in Mac man.

With a, IMHO, in effect novice, out of his depth HC and average staff; he's all I have left to pin my hopes on.

We have a top notch GM who is starting out on making this team and organisation his own.

Have patience and faith in the process.

Hail.

They should be concerned.   It's going to be hard to duplicate what Murray did.  He carried the ball almost 400 times.  I don't see Spiller or Bush doing that.  I don't even see Adrian Peterson carrying the ball 400 times.  Their best hope is to have a fantastic RB by committee.  It's been kind of under the radar, but Dallas has lost quite a bit of depth so far this offseason.  Dallas will be back to their 8-8 ways next season.

If you look at the players they are TODAY, yeah I think our roster is better then 2012's.  In 2012 we had an injured Orakpo, Keenan Robinson, Fred Davis (hell we had to call Cooley and tell him to make sure his football cleats stil fit).... our best players that year were RGIII, Garcon, Cofield, London Fletcher (how sad is that?), Kerrigan and Dhall.

With our roster not even being finalized yet, we've replaced London with KRob, Dhall for the time being with Amerson/Breeland, Fred Davis with Jordan Reed/Niles Paul, added Djax to the mix and I would've even say Garcon has regressed, I think he looks that way because Robert Griff looks that way.  Orakpo is gone (I think) and we should be replacing him with a defensive player in the draft with a higher ceiling then he ever had, Kerrigan has improved dramatically, 

Tell me I'm wrong all you want but the fact is our Oline looked better then it actually was because of the read option scheme Shanny installed.  We all knew they looked much better on the field then they did on paper.

First, I only said that it would take a while to build a contender, at least 4-5 years through the draft and pointed out that while Scot did it in Seattle, hit home runs in his first two drafts, it still took 5 years to do it, with getting lucky on those late round picks.  

Second, not sure why he brought up 2012 at all.  But he did and if the team was much more improved, we wouldn't have the subpar records we have had since the 2012 season.  

Which gets to "Third", I pointed out that the 2012 was a product of a new system that caught everyone off guard (i.e. read option), not to stellar o-line play.  I also stated that our o-line was horrible and we needed to upgrade all positions with exception of LT.  

Since 2012, outside of WR (which I include TE - since its part of our receiving corps), there is not one position that we have vastly improved on.  Amerson, horrible.  Breeland maybe, verdict is still out though if he can be a full time starter, neither of which are better than Hall, even an aged DHall.  K-Rob, yes better than Fletcher had regressed to. 

My point, is there has been little to no improvement at the majority of positions than what we have had the past 4 years.  We don't need to replace sub-par talent with cast-off sub-par talent that really isn't that much of an upgrade over what you already have.  

It all goes back to the RGIII trade and giving up future first round picks.  It didn't work out for us and that along with the salary cap penalties in 2012-2013 set us even further back.  Not trying to start up this dead horse debate about if the trade was right or wrong, so please everyone don't go there.  Just simply pointing out (whether one agreed with it or not) that it didn't pan out to our favor.

I think Murray is a much better fit than Gore for Drip's offense. Mathews is also a good fit. Again, I'm in the minority, but I think Bradford's a good fit. It'll be interesting to see if they can all stay on the field. Drip's moves have been kinda wild, so he'll reap the whirlwind if it doesn't pan out. Cross your fingers...

I thought I was in a minirity of one on this one.

Not normally big on bringing up past posts, but they'll be a whole bunch of reminders to those laughing now if the Eagles keep Sam upright and let him do his thing.

Hail.

Have faith in Mac man.

With a, IMHO, in effect novice, out of his depth HC and average staff; he's all I have left to pin my hopes on.

We have a top notch GM who is starting out on making this team and organisation his own.

Have patience and faith in the process.

Hail.

This needs to be repeated daily. Sometimes a few times a day

Archived