Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I'll have faith in the process, and I'm a fan of SM, and so far, so good.  Staying away from big, costly deals, signing secondary guys, I like it.

But I can dig up posts of yours, and others, who have said virtually the same thing just about every regime change.  You were pretty effusive early last year when Shanahan was gone and Bruce took over.  And that didn't work out so well.

I personally believe in cautious optimism.  But for me there is a healthy dose of reality and skepticism as well, just because EVERY TIME we get a new guy in charge, there is optimism, and it hasn't worked since 1993.  (With a brief respit from 2004-2007 when Gibbs came back and the team went to the playoffs twice)  

So, since Snyder still owns the team, and Allen is still President, I'm going to be very cautious in my optimism.  I like SM.  But jury is out, and we'll see what the results are down the road.

All we can do is either be miserable or try and be optimistic. It's OK to be cautious. Doesn't do anyone any good to be miserable, you may as well stop watching the games. I too am cautiously optimistic. I'd like for our fans to give Scot some time to implement his plan instead of complaining on day 3 of free agency. We have a long way to go with a ton more decisions to make from now until July when TC opens. Let's see what will happen first.

18m for Browner, man just don't know where they dream these deals up.

However, it is very evident the salary cap increases year on year just lead to inflated contracts. I'm all in favour of playing things safe and sticking to a budget, but I think there is a certain inevitabilily that if you seriously do want a quality free agent, and that guy does have a market, every now and again over paying may be the only option. Not the rule, but the exception.

Of course they would have him play FS, that's what the Redskins do. The just signed a 4-3 DT and are going to make him a DE, their biggest move last year was to sign a DE that excelled in a 4-3 defense in Dallas and made him a 3-4 DE. Barry Cofield was miscast as a NT for years. Orakpo was a DE at Texas and Haslett had him playing OLB in pass coverage, I've seen in different draft guides that Amerson would be best as a FS not a CB and Compton should be playing G not RT. The guard from last years free agent class was a RG in Cleveland but played awful all year at LG in Washington, I guess they didn't want to mess with all the success they were having with Chris Chester at RG. They moved Niles Paul from WR to TE and I haven't seen him throw a block yet. I'm not sure what Trent Murphy is a LB or DE. I think Lorenzo Alexander played everything but QB and CB. Some of the players returing kicks like Paul and Josh Morgan have been mind boggling. 

HAHAHA You are Dead Right. I cant disagree especially paul and Josh Morgan returning kicks..SMH WOW!!!

Anyone have any opinions on Chris Hairston T, or Jeffrey Linkenbach G/T? From what info I can find Hairston had some sort of medical issue that prevented him from playing in 2013, then came back last year overweight and got stuck with backup/ special teams duty. Seems like he was a pretty talented guy and maybe worth bringing in for a look to see if he is healthy and back in shape.

As for Linkenbach, he has some starting experience and might be a guy to bring in to compete during camp.

Not saying either of these guys are an answer. Just that it would make sense to bring in some kind of younger competition. Hairston is 25 and Linkenbach is 27.

As to the conversation of how long til this team can truly compete or make a playoff run, I think if we need 4 players to have a "shot". RG, FS, SS, NT are the 4 biggest glaring needs imo along with better QB play. Do we need to upgrade numerous other positions? Absolutely. I think the rest of the team is serviceable enough to work, especially if guys currently on the roster can play up to their potential.

Which ultimately I feel some of that has to fall on to the coaches to get that potential out of the players. Whether it be forming a scheme that fits the players on the roster or just coaching them up from a technique perspective.

Nobody is gonna sit here and tell me 'they like what Kelly is doing, makes sense'. It couldn't be more obvious he has no method. There is no way they had Murray on the radar (evidence by reports they didn't even reach out to him) and than they sign him to similar deal as McCoy.

'Hmmm let me see, drop a guy that knows system and has less overall wear and tear for a guy that is being passed on so far by Jags' Keep it up Chip, master plan...sure

Murray has 500+ fewer carries in his career than McCoy.

Kelly basically flipped Shady for Murray, saved $5 million in guaranteed money and got Kiko Alonso for free. Don't think that's bad at all.

Wasn't a fan of the Bradford trade, though

This is pure nonsense...I'm sick of hearing how we have all these holes and can't win until we fill them.   every team has holes.

We need to solidify a few key areas....get our QB playing to his potential.....and coach properly.

You are putting words in my mouth.  I never said we could not start winning and competing for a playoff spot until every hole on the team was filled. I said that in two years we could do that.  To be a super bowl caliber contender, it will take 4-5 years.  

Especially with all the holes we have to fill.  We have done zero, I repeat, ZERO to upgrade our offensive line, outside of Trent Williams, back in 2010 with exception of LeRibeus and Moses (both 3 rounders, both suck).  We cannot win if we cannot score.  We simply don't have the talent on defense to win ball games like Seattle does or keep games close.

We are at least 2 years away from making the playoffs.  A lot of that depends on fixing the oline too, which we still haven't done.  So we will have to rely on the draft for that.  But I doubt we take an OT at #5, so we better hit a homerun with our 2nd round pick.

Get our QB playing to his potential requires an O-line considering he does not want to run the read option and Jay will not run the read option.  There is a huge difference in being a contender for a playoff spot and a contender for the Super Bowl.  We are neither right now and are at least 4-5 years (if done correctly) from being the later.  

Even under Scot's watch in Seattle, they finished 7-9 and 7-9 his first two seasons.  Granted 7-9 won their crappy division that year, it won't for us next year.  They became a playoff team in his 3rd season (11-5) and SB contender and winner in his 4th, contender and should have been winner in his 5th.

But for us to follow that format, we have to hope they hit on as many late round draft picks the next two drafts.  That is not guaranteed.

Murray has 500+ fewer carries in his career than McCoy.

Kelly basically flipped Shady for Murray, saved $5 million in guaranteed money and got Kiko Alonso for free. Don't think that's bad at all.

Except that Murray played on a team with (A) a great OL, (B) good to great QB, © stellar WR. Dallas is probably the easiest place in the world to look good at RB. And Murray accumulated his usage in one year and most RB's have a down year after that kind of abuse. Moreover, in the modern NFL you just don't shell out that kind of money for any RB no matter how good.

The McCoy for Alonso trade was a steal but the Murray and Bradford moves were dumb. Overall they're moving backwards.

Except that Murray played on a team with (A) a great OL, ( B) good to great QB, © stellar WR. Dallas is probably the easiest place in the world to look good at RB. And Murray accumulated his usage in one year and most RB's have a down year after that kind of abuse. Moreover, in the modern NFL you just don't shell out that kind of money for any RB no matter how good.

The McCoy for Alonso trade was a steal but the Murray and Bradford moves were dumb. Overall they're moving backwards.

They're not moving backwards at all when looking at the RB moves they've made in isolation.

You can argue that Bradford isn't good, can't stay healthy and would be a downgrade from Foles, and that would be why they're moving backwards -- not because they signed Murray. 

That said, Murray will be fine playing for Philly. He could get hurt since he had 400+ touches last year, but McCoy wasn't exactly fresh either. Saving money and acquiring Alonso were the bigger aspects of the RB moves than the actual RBs themselves.

So Kelly said he dumped McCoy (5 years $40 millions contract with the Bills) for salary cap reason, then he signed DeMarco for 5 years $42 millions !

It must have been because of Gore's gang relations.  lol

We might be years away, but I don't know about 4-5 years.

That sounds pretty early to me. I'm thinking about 30 (since the average life expectancy is 80 years currently). I don't even hate Dan, but when there's this much failure over a certain period and there's really only ONE commonality, I have a hard time denying it any longer.  It's either our owner, or it's a gypsy curse.

I would even add another position to that list.

eye to eye

Nobody is gonna sit here and tell me 'they like what Kelly is doing, makes sense'. It couldn't be more obvious he has no method. There is no way they had Murray on the radar (evidence by reports they didn't even reach out to him) and than they sign him to similar deal as McCoy.

'Hmmm let me see, drop a guy that knows system and has less overall wear and tear for a guy that is being passed on so far by Jags' Keep it up Chip, master plan...sure

Don't knock Chipper, I like the job he's doing of slowly destroying the Eagles' chances over the next 20 years.

3/18M for Browner. Hell no.

That's what I'm saying'. People are complaining about what's going on, but to get any of these guys we'd have likely had to pay even MORE than what these contracts are, so if we had signed Browner to a 3 or 4 year deal worth $6.5 or 7 mil per season, they WOULDN'T be complaining?!  If that's the case, they are literally out of their *** **** minds. 

No one should sign a 30 year old to a contract like that. We did it with Hatcher (who had a "so-so" injury history) and it turned out sour. Why would the team continue to do this? No thanks. 

The one thing I've liked about Mac C is that he was talking about following the Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson way of GMing. If he really IS doing that, then you guys aren't going to see a whole lot of signing FAs. We're going to end up with one or two an off-season, drafting a lot, and using a **** ton of UDFAs. Look at Green Bay's roster. Just about every one of those guys was either a draft pick or a UDFA (and they DO use their UDFAs a TON for depth).

I don't have confidence that any plan will work here, but why not try...you know....since none of this other **** has worked?

I wouldn't call trading McCoy for a guy with 2 reconstructed ACL's a steal

That's the biggest issue with what Kelly has done. He's traded guys who've remained fairly healthy for guys with serious injury histories.  I'm fine with it. (as a Skins fan)

Per Rotoworld

According to ESPN, the Redskins and free agent S Taylor Mays have "mutual interest."

Mays left the Bengals in hopes of getting more playing time somewhere else. That seems like a real possibility in Washington, especially now that Ryan Clark has chosen to hang up his cleats. Mays is also active on special teams and can play linebacker.

Thoughts?

Except that Murray played on a team with (A) a great OL, ( B) good to great QB, © stellar WR. Dallas is probably the easiest place in the world to look good at RB.

The Eagles are no slouch at OL either.  It sickens me that two teams in our division "get" the importance of OL while we haven't.  And one of them is the Cowboys. :angry:   Turn this ship around, McCloughan!

I like Mays on a cheap deal. PFF liked his production last year and he graded out as an average starter in '13. I was hoping to pair him with a more established name like Gilchrist. IMO, he's a slightly better, younger upgrade over Meriweather.

My current wishlist 

CJ Mosley (NT) - Stop gap while we groom a draft pick, should be cheap

Chris Culliver (CB)- Good size and speed, only 26, Has #1 cb potential

Perrish Cox (CB)- Insurance for Amerson/Hall, has the ability to play the slot, should be cheap.

Joseph Barksdale(RT)-  Above average Tackle, would make Moses a swing tackle giving us good depth

I wouldn't call trading McCoy for a guy with 2 reconstructed ACL's a steal

It's a guy who would have been DROY if he hadn't gotten hurt, and he's on his rookie deal. He costs virtually nothing and he has a bunch of upside as opposed to an expensive RB who has 1500 carries under his belt. The deal was great for Philly. 

It's a guy who would have been DROY if he hadn't gotten hurt, and he's on his rookie deal. He costs virtually nothing and he has a bunch of upside as opposed to an expensive RB who has 1500 carries under his belt. The deal was great for Philly. 

He played his entire rookie year and didn't win DROY, not to mention the Bills GM (after his phenomenal rookie season) was going to move him to the weak side and had this to say "Because of his frame, it would probably help him not being able to take on those offensive linemen as frequently,"

Another thing people tend to forget is Rex Ryan wouldnt let a stud MLB go

He played his entire rookie year and didn't win DROY, not to mention the Bills GM (after his phenomenal rookie season) was going to move him to the weak side and had this to say "Because of his frame, it would probably help him not being able to take on those offensive linemen as frequently,"

Another thing people tend to forget is Rex Ryan wouldnt let a stud MLB go

Pretty sure Rex Ryan is the guy who doesn't really value LBs in his system. 

And I'm not arguing that Alonso isn't injury prone -- I'm saying he's a formerly good player on his rookie deal who, if healthy, will end up being a nice asset to have. There is only upside with Alonso considering that he's on his rookie deal and will cost the team nothing. 

McCoy didn't want to be there, is expensive and is reaching the end of his prime. 

Man, Eagles are full on silly this offseason.

Signing Murray to a bigger deal than McCoy...and now Mathis is apparently on the trading block?

I think putting Mathis up there is a big mistake.  He's a huge part of that OL, and the Philly OL is likely the only thing standing between defenders and those sweet, juicy, ACLs.

In other news, I wouldn't mind Mathis for the right price.  Which would be cheap, but he probably has one more good year at least.

Archived