Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I am guessing that Pot's settlement number is around $8.5M per year for 5 years average, minimum. Really wants $9M to $10M. I think he might go for $45M over 5 years with $30M or so guaranteed. Guesstimate here.

Way way too much for a dude who plays 500 snaps a year and doesn't rush the passer. We should balk at anything north of $5 million per

Agree...but guaranteed is what they want to hear

Thing is, the fact the Raiders wouldn't pay him more than 6/yr and he turned that down also means jack now. They've signed Williams so his options have narrowed...and they were probably his ace card in negotiations with other teams.

I'm gonna take down my guess, 5/35 now haha

Why would we pay 8 mill a year for a 2 down player? Knighton just tryna get paid, I can see his weight and conditioning being a major issue in the future

Our run defense wasnt even that bad, an upgrade on Riley would be cheaper and more effective IMO

I wanted Dan Williams but now I wouldnt mind us just getting a band-aid player this year (CJ Mosley) and drafting our NT of the future

Lets not invest $$$ in a guy just cause he's out there and fits a need like we did with Hatcher.

Why would we pay 8 mill a year for a 2 down player? Knighton just tryna get paid, I can see his weight and conditioning being a major issue in the future

Our run defense wasnt even that bad, an upgrade on Riley would be cheaper and more effective IMO

I wanted Dan Williams but now I wouldnt mind us just getting a band-aid player this year (CJ Mosley) and drafting our NT of the future

Lets not invest $$$ in a guy just cause he's out there and fits a need like we did with Hatcher.

Has he had those problems in the past?  Have we had a solid pass rush in the pass?  Just because he's fat doesn't mean it's going to be a major issue.  2 down player, who cares if he can help the stops.  And he wouldn't be brought in only to stop the run, the issue is our pass and he would instantly improve that tremendously.

Knighton is not a pass rusher, he's a 2 down run stopper.

Paea and Hatcher will be our pass rushing DT's in nickel.

Knighton is 6'3 and 330~ lbs. He plays nose tackle. It's about taking up space, forcing double teams, not being the pass rusher. He opens things up for Paea, Kerrigan and Orakpo or whoever replaces Orakpo.

I'd rather have our own NT in Shelton, but Knighton is a good player too.

Liking our approach to free agency this year, it gives me a lot of confidence in our new GM, who I knew little about other than everyone saying how awesome he was because he was associated with the 49ers and seahawks.

The key this year is too make efficient signings and not bog us down with bad contracts in the future, just because we need to spend this year. I think this first signing reflects that.

I'm also very excited to see what our defense looks like under a new coach. I think we might shock some people.

With the way things are looking, I would be happy to have Orakpo back at a good price. I don't think we have seen his ceiling yet.

I don't mind slightly over paying for Knighton, he is good and fills a big need.

Garcon and Jackson to guys with big cap numbers will both be gone within 2 years. 

Then you have Hall, Hatcher, Lavaou, Chester, Roberts, and Porter with significant cap numbers who will also all be gone within 2 years.

There is a lot of money being freed up (granted Kerrigan and Williams need extensions).

I don't mind slightly over paying for Knighton, he is good and fills a big need.

Garcon and Jackson to guys with big cap numbers will both be gone within 2 years. 

Then you have Hall, Hatcher, Lavaou, Chester, Roberts, and Porter with significant cap numbers who will also all be gone within 2 years.

There is a lot of money being freed up (granted Kerrigan and Williams need extensions).

Why would we get rid of Jackson or Garcon? With the cap going up their contracts wont even be in the top 25 WR's.

Nothing wrong with keeping players 30 or older, its an issue when you sign FA's that are 30 and older.

Archived