Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kirk Cousins Clutch? Does he have the moxy to lead a 4th Quarter comeback?

Boss_Hogg

Question. The jury is still out on RG3 after two seasons worth of games right? Ok so would the same apply to Cousins if he played this whole season or is he on the accelerated judgement plan?

My point is be patient. Cousins will show us what he is. If he's better than RG3 or not clutch or the second coming if Kevin Kolb. In time we'll know it. He's got a very tough road ahead which will see him in every scenario you want.

Short week Thursday against a division rival at home.

Long week Monday night game against the superbowl champs and their ridiculous defense.

At Dallas. If anyone says that's an easy game, they are not nfce fans

Against Arizonas great defense.

If he shines through that, he's damn good. Expect some hardship and some bad games. Let's see how he responds and how bad it gets.

The short answer to the OP is that no one knows until the guy gets multiple cracks at it.  He had a chance yesterday, and didn't come through.  Doesn't mean he can't do it in the future.  Like Burgold said, "one game snap shots," are not indicative of future play.  Consistent play is what determines whether or not a player can come through.

Btw, and this isn't pointed at anyone in this thread, but I've noticed people wanting to give RG3 64 years to improve, but love to nitpick little things with Cousins.  I don't get that logic.  Give the guy a chance, just like you did with RG3.

The Texans had one. Are you arguing that Kirk faced pressure for the first three quarters vs the Sheagles on his dropbacks?

Texans have JJ Watt. How many teams have JJ Watt? Also, as has been stated, a few pressures from the Texans game were due to RG3 moving into trouble.

As to your point, the Browns finished 2012 11th in sacks (1 away from top 10). Is that a real pass rush? KC did well against them. 

Cousins wasn't very clutch yesterday while last year RG3 was very clutch in garbage time with us down multiple scores.

I think I'd rather have a QB keep us in the game late at least when the defense is giving up 30 a game. Maybe he will become clutch. Maybe he will become Tony romoSUCKS. We'll know soon I think.

Some are quietly whispering they hope Cousins does not turn out to be another Tony Romoe. Great stats but can't seem to turn that corner in crucial situations.

I say it's too early to tell. We need to evaluate him later this year when it becomes tougher against more divisional opponents.

BTW: I purposely misspelled Tony's name because every time I type his last name, the software on this site magically puts "sucks" behind his name..lol

So let me get this straight.

In his past 7 Games played Griffin led the offense to 55 combined offensive points scored and lost them all.

In his past 2 Games played Cousins led the offense to 78 offensive points, one loss and one win

And some are worried that he isn't "clutch"?

image.png?w=400&c=1

Now here's all we know about Kirk Cousins. He has started 5 NFL games, not including games like Jacksonville or the Ravens game. In those five starts

1st start - 329 passing yards, 2 passing TDs
2nd start - 381 passing yards, 3 passing TDs
3rd start - 197 passing yards, 1 passing TD
4th start - 169 passing yards, 0 passing TDs - This game was played outdoors during a terrible rain storm

And yesterday's

5th start - 427 passing yards, 3 TD's

Clutch? Are any of these QB's clutch?

Peyton Manning
Andrew Luck
Tom Brady
Russell Wilson
Colin Kapernick
Andy Dalton
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford

Nick Foles

Robert Griffin

Because not one of them put up numbers like 400 or more passing yards, or 3 TD games in their first five NFL starts. Not one of them did that. And you want to worry about "Clutch" on a five game starter? I am so confused by the hate some of you put on Cousins because you want Griffin to be the QB. Even in the face of being in a game, that surely if Griffin was starting and playing in that if the Defense had not won it for him we would have lost and been blown out of, it's still not enough?

I am encouraged by this teams progress and extremely excited about Cousins. It takes time for QB's to gain experience. I posted those stats and names above hoping that some of you keep it in perspective. Hard heads make soft asses but somethings until you are in the heat of the moment you simply can't tell someone how to do it and replace experience. Cousins is not the reason that we lost that game yesterday.

It's time to forget 2012, and get with the 2014 team. 2012 is ancient history and never coming back. Griffin is not as good of a QB as Cousins has shown to be. It's time that some of you actually accepted that you can not expect a QB to come into this league and be perfect from his first start. That is completely unreasonable. Is Kirk perfect? Hell no. Is Kirk a work in progress? Hell yes. Is Kirk the Redskins best option at QB? Hell yes he is. Let the past go please.

Enjoy moments like yesterday when the team won the battle (Rush Defense was amazing, Cousins out passed Foles) but lost the war/game. There is a lot of positive to come out of yesterday and Thursday is our next game. We beat them Gants and we are 2-2 with a long break in the action. That's great for 2014 long term,

So let me get this straight.

In his past 7 Games played Griffin led the offense to 55 combined offensive points scored and lost them all.

In his past 2 Games played Cousins led the offense to 78 offensive points, one loss and one win

And some are worried that he isn't "clutch"?

image.png?w=400&c=1

Now here's all we know about Kirk Cousins. He has started 5 NFL games, not including games like Jacksonville or the Ravens game. In those five starts

1st start - 329 passing yards, 2 passing TDs

2nd start - 381 passing yards, 3 passing TDs

3rd start - 197 passing yards, 1 passing TD

4th start - 169 passing yards, 0 passing TDs - This game was played outdoors during a terrible rain storm

And yesterday's

5th start - 427 passing yards, 3 TD's

Clutch? Are any of these QB's clutch?

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Colin Kapernick

Andy Dalton

Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers

Matthew Stafford

Nick Foles

Robert Griffin

Because not one of them put up numbers like 400 or more passing yards, or 3 TD games in their first five NFL starts. Not one of them did that. And you want to worry about "Clutch" on a five game starter? I am so confused by the hate some of you put on Cousins because you want Griffin to be the QB. Even in the face of being in a game, that surely if Griffin was starting and playing in that if the Defense had not won it for him we would have lost and been blown out of, it's still not enough?

I am encouraged by this teams progress and extremely excited about Cousins. It takes time for QB's to gain experience. I posted those stats and names above hoping that some of you keep it in perspective. Hard heads make soft asses but somethings until you are in the heat of the moment you simply can't tell someone how to do it and replace experience. Cousins is not the reason that we lost that game yesterday

So now yardage is the barometer for QB ing irrespective of the quality of the defense you play against. I read some of you talking about how easy we made it for foles to put up the numbers he did and yet in another post talk about 400+ yards against a bad defense vs the pass as though it is some great achievement. He had a good game vs a bad defense and we lost. The lost was not all on him but he shares in some of the blame and now it's time to look to the giants. Nothing more, nothing less.

Payton Manning wasn't even a comeback king last night...thew a INT in the 4th quarter just like Kirk.  Totally agree with you...give the kid a break...it happens.  he is getting better.

Actually Peyton Manning was a "comeback king" with 28 seconds left in regulation he took his team 40 yards with a 2 point conversion.  Not sure what game you watched.

And as far as Cousins is concerned, good game, but not being able to even go 5 yards in 4 plays on the 40 and to miss players so badly...I still think we are just jinxed. 

So now yardage is the barometer for QB ing irrespective of the quality of the defense you play against. I read some of you talking about how easy we made it for foles to put up the numbers he did and yet in another post talk about 400+ yards against a bad defense vs the pass as though it is some great achievement. He had a good game vs a bad defense and we lost. The lost was not all on him but he shares in some of the blame and now it's time to look to the giants. Nothing more, nothing less.

No yardage is not indicative of anything. Yardage is just something easy to look at with all of those guys and ask a question.,...hmmm? Did any of those guys do what Cousins has done?

Frankly the bizz about defense is silly to me, you and I have no way of knowing what Quality of Defenses were years ago.

That doesn't change the simple fact that not one of those bench mark QB's did that. What does it mean? It means that he put up more passing yards then any of them to start his career. Is that a bad thing to you? To me it's not. Should it be ignored? Maybe if you happen to be in the camp of Griffin then you might just be looking for reasons to dislike it and ignore it.

We all put it on the QB shoulders in a loss. We all blame the QB when the team loses. We all do that. I happen to see a lot I like about Cousins, more so then disliked his game. He lost the war, but won the battle. Next time hopefully he wins both. The end of the game was crappy, didn't like the play calling, thought Cousins threw a second or two to soon, but the last series didn't change that I liked his overall game a lot.

Football is a team game. The most important difference maker on a football team is the QB. Vegas has proven this. Yet QB's can not do it alone. Cousins yesterday was excellent, if he was a 5 year starter I think you ask this question - Is he clutch - As a 5 game starter I think asking that question is extremely dangerous and counter productive to ask and well aware that it may be asked by those with agendas.

And this should shut the question up for good

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321209028

Redskins - 31

Ravens - 28

On the last drive of that game Griffin went down injured. Cousins came in went 2 for 2 with completions to Hankerson and then threw a TD pass with 29 seconds remaining to Garcon. After that his number was called again and he rushed for a game tying 2 point conversion. In overtime the Special Teams had a 61 yard kick return and Kai hit the game winning FG.

The Redskins at the time were 6-6 and had the season on the line. Cousins delivered that day not once but twice against the eventual Superbowl Champions.

In came fourth-round pick Cousins, who was a clutch 2 for 2 -- back-to-back to Leonard Hankerson for 15 yards and 11 yards to Garcon."He's ice. Like they used to say about Larry Bird, he got ice water in his veins. That's the best thing you can say about Kirk," receiver Joshua Morgan said. "He was coming like nothing was even going on."

He was clutch that day, so that's confirmed

Because Griffin has proven that he cannot stay healthy.  You can't help a team if you're continously on the bench.  What part of that don't you understand?  

Does Cousins need to win the Super Bowl for you people to get onboard?  Or are you just blind RG3 fanboys.

You quoted my entire post, which was wide.  Can you please indicate what part of my post you are referring to?  I don't believe I EVER compared the two at all.  

And I started my post with a pretty honest "defense" of Cousins, including saying that I thought Gruden had a bad last drive.

I'm completely confused what you are trying to comment on.  For my own edification, and so I understand where in my post I compared Griffin to Cousins, or said that Griffin was in any way superior to Cousins, or even brought him up, please go back, read my post, quote it, use the delete function to only select the component that you are referring to, and reply.

You can't really know if KC is clutch based on such small sample. Good thing is that he'll at least get another 5-7 games to show more. There were few things that I didn't like yesterday from him. First, he took a delay of game at the Eagles 11 in the 4th Q with game tied instead of taking a timeout. You can't have negative yards when you have all three timeouts. I thought it was a boneheaded decision on his part. On the final drive, he was moving way too fast. He needed to calm down and slow down a bit. It seemed like he was pre-determined to those guys before the snap and didn't matter if they were open or not. He looked like he was rushing. He needs to just slow down a bit and go through his progressions. Needs to maintain his focus throughout.

You can't really know if KC is clutch based on such small sample. Good thing is that he'll at least get another 5-7 games to show more. There were few things that I didn't like yesterday from him. First, he took a delay of game at the Eagles 11 in the 4th Q with game tied instead of taking a timeout.

I guess that's on him, but I thought it was on the center.  The center kept refusing to snap the ball.  Cousins was signaling, waving furiously for the snap. It was like the third time it happened.  The other two times they just got the snap off.  Last time bit them.

This thread got detailed by the same folks who turn every thread into a Griffin stinks thread.

The question in the OP was "Is cousins clutch."

There is really no need to compare cousins to Griffin in answering that question.

Which, in my opinion, you can't answer anyway yet. I'd tend to lean yes, but I need a much, much larger sample size.

At Michigan State, he led several late or comeback wins:  

- Named Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week and one of the Manning Award "Stars of the Week" after completing 22-of-31 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in the win over No. 4 Wisconsin, including the game-winning, 44-yard Hail Mary pass to Keith Nichol on the game's final play

- Selected Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after completing 29-of-43 throws for 331 yards and three TDs as MSU rallied from a 17-point deficit to remain unbeaten at 8-0 with a 35-27 victory at Northwestern .

- Completed 23-of-33 throws for 245 yards and two scores in MSU's 34-31 overtime victory over Notre Dame 

-Recorded his fifth-consecutive 200-yard passing game, throwing for 208 yards and three TDs at Purdue as MSU rallied for an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit for a 40-37 victory.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cousins_kirk00.html

At Michigan State, he led several late or comeback wins:  

- Named Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week and one of the Manning Award "Stars of the Week" after completing 22-of-31 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in the win over No. 4 Wisconsin, including the game-winning, 44-yard Hail Mary pass to Keith Nichol on the game's final play

- Selected Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after completing 29-of-43 throws for 331 yards and three TDs as MSU rallied from a 17-point deficit to remain unbeaten at 8-0 with a 35-27 victory at Northwestern .

- Completed 23-of-33 throws for 245 yards and two scores in MSU's 34-31 overtime victory over Notre Dame 

-Recorded his fifth-consecutive 200-yard passing game, throwing for 208 yards and three TDs at Purdue as MSU rallied for an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit for a 40-37 victory.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cousins_kirk00.html

He did have some clutch performances, but three of these were more led by the "team" and not the "QB".  Lots of defensive and special teams TDs in these comebacks.  MSU is normally a fairly complete team.

I do like Kirk, but he isn't known for his prowess while trailing late. 

That Wisconsin game MSU scored a special teams td and a defensive td.  Kirk also threw a short pass that went for a long td.  That Hail Mary was awesome, but it was either a score or it was OT so no real risk there.

The ND game I know that the holder on the FG team threw the fake FG TD... don't remember if it was KC or not.

I like Kirk, but I did a lot of looking at QBs that year (after Beck and Grossman, obviously :lol: )

Archived