Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kirk Cousins Clutch? Does he have the moxy to lead a 4th Quarter comeback?

Boss_Hogg

Well, if he doesn't redeem himself then he will just be another loser who can't win close games. That's the reason I would expect.

As far as RG3, I wasn't even bringing him up. But since you wanted to, we already know that RG3 can singlehandedly will his team from the dregs of the division to a playoff team. Fortunately for the Cousins fanboys that will probably be the most memorable moment of RG3's career.

So we better hope Cousins gets some clutch... whatever that is.

2 things, first we have not seen anything from Griffin like that since 2012. We honestly do not know if he has it anymore. Injuries may have derailed his career permanently. Could have, not saying it has. Second thing is how many points on the scoreboard has Kirk put up his last five games compared to Griffin? That is all that matters when judging a QBs talent to me because unless they can score points in today's NFL the team who scores the most always wins. Brett Favre has the most INT in the history of the game, but he also has the most wins in the history of the game. It does not always have to be perfect or pretty as long as the QB can score points.

If Rivers can win one before he's done I'll give the nod to 2004. There are some great QBs in 1983, Legends even, but only one of them has a ring. If Rivers does it that's 3 guys in the '04 class from the 1st round. Schaub had a pretty solid career for a 3rd rounder as well and Luke McCown is still somehow in the league.

2004 is second.

Kelly played in 4 SB, Marino in 1, Elway 5, and whastshisname (pats) 1.

None of the top guys in 2004 are as good as their 1983 counterparts. The problem for the class if 83 was the NFC East and 49ers basically dominated the SBs from 1982-1995. With 1 bears win thrown in, I think.

The only QB in 2004 that has a case to be a HOF candidate is Rothlisburger. Eli's a fluke. I like rivers. But he's not HOF.

Elway, Marino, Kelly were all sure fire HOF guys. Never a question on any of them.

One of the commentators, maybe it was Cooley, I was listening to a lot of post game stuff, talked about how his mechanics looked a little more jittery and less fluid towards the end.   Am sure all Qbs are nervous when they make their first start, but its hard for me to forget how discernibly nervous Cousins looked during his debut game against the Browns, took him about a quarter of play to settle down.

Cousins played great, and I see here that he's quickly built some loyalists who think the dude walks on water and how dare anyone point out any chinks in the armor because supposedly there are none.  Nope, am not trying to antagonize that crowd.  Am just saying for myself, yeah I am going to pay attention to what he does on money drives in the future.  One of the QB NFL commentators, I think it was Warner said he does see a difference between QBs in this league in moments when the game is on the line and he puts a lot of stock in the QBs who thrive in those moments.

I think it's more the 20 year drought of not having a franchise quarterback.    And, have a couple that are showing promise early, but in vastly different ways.   One seems safer than the other.   Right now.  As an organization, we can't mess this up.  We probably will.

The other thing I thought was at the end of the first half, I realized Philly had three time outs.  We needed to take a time out (we had one left) to make sure we had the right play to convert that third down.  THAT WAS A HUGE THIRD DOWN.  It would have forced Philly to have to use all their time outs.  Thus limiting their opportunity to get the touchdown before half, which was killer.

We take the time out there and say "This is an important first down we need to get this as to not give Philly time to comeback."   More emphasis on the importance of that third down.  It was what I was thinking.  Just a thought.  Gotta always be thinking ahead, man.

When playing Philly you have to think ahead.  Offense is too explosive.  Giving them three timeouts with a minute and half left is an eternity as we saw.  They can score quickly.   And, you can't give them easy touchdowns on returns.  And can't miss chip shots.  Adds up to 17 points.

Despite all the mistakes, play calls, we still had a chance.   We choked as a team.   Not on Kirk.  He was the reason we even had a chance!

It was 3rd and 2 with 1:23 on the clock with 10 seconds left on the play clock. They couldve ran it down and ran for the first and Morris SHOULD get 2 yards and even if he doesn't it runs the clock and forces the Eagles to burn a TO.

To me that was one of the worst play calls and probably cost us 7pts. Cousins put the ball where only Garcon could get to it but Garcon was late getting there. Still I'd have ran Morris or Redd there.

If you haven't already, you should read Keim's write up on Cousins in the 2nd half of the Eagles game:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/11250/under-review-kirk-cousins

Thing is it's been addressed in this thread that specifically in this past game the receivers really left him out to dry. They had several drops and in Paul's case he may have at least gotten a hand on the ball and avoided the turnover had he not stopped running and looked at the ball. Garçon had a drop or two one of which was on third down for a first down. Roberts wasn't looking and dropped a pass - this is probably what they meant by waiting but Roberts had already made his cut and was open so it's more on him IMO. I think grant had a drop as well. These were key plays that either put us in third and longer than what it would have been or prevented a third down conversion.

If the receivers catch these balls or prevent the turnover who knows maybe we drive down and score on those second half drives.

I agree with those on here that say a team must be clutch as a whole. The receivers certainly didn't do cousins any favors in the fourth quarter against the eagles. This is not to absolve cousins of blame - he had a hand to play in it. But by no means can you put it all on him for the drop off in the fourth.

As for the mechanics - you cannot solely isolate the fourth quarter and say oh he let his mechanics go. His TD to garçon was all off his Backfoot while moving backwards. His deep ball to desean was actually not great mechanics. Fact is, many of his better throws in the game were not solid mechanics. Not absolving him here either - you have to be consistently good on your mechanics to be successful so good passes or bad it's a problem he needs to fix but trying to say he let his mechanics fall off at the end is inaccurate. He played the whole game that way and just had a couple poorer throws at the end combined with some key drops/miscommunication/poor focus by the receivers.

....."it" factor...."clutch"....."moxie".......all sound sooooo completely measurable ;) .  Sounds like descriptors for the Johnny Football crowd and the tards that thought Colt Brennan had those traits (and he's using them now, in rehab and work release) and would be succesful with them.

When discussing which QBs are clutch - ponder this. Aaron Rodgers has only 6 fourth quarter comebacks and 10 game-winning drives in his career.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RodgAa00

Tony romoSUCKS - who is often perceived to be a choker - and a player who has been in the league about the same time as Rodgers (romoSUCKS came into the league in 2004, Rodgers in 2005) has 21 4th quarter comebacks and 24 game-winning drives.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RomoTo00

Even the most delusional of Dallas fans would concede that A-Rod a better QB than romoSUCKS. So why such an emphasis on being "clutch"? Now, compare their QB records: A-Rod is 59-31 (.656 winning percentage) and Romo is 65-46 (.586 winning percentage). So no, Cousins doesn't necessarily have to be "clutch" to become a winning QB, and "clutchness" is overrated if A-Rod is any indication.

Because most clutch QB's such as Romo, Luck, Favre, Elway, usually did something boneheaded earlier in the game to require the clutch performance.

Cousins threw that pick so he needs to step up and become clutch in the end otherwise he's just going to be another Romo.

If Kirk can average 275 yds, 2 TDs, and a QB rating of 100+ ... I don't give a hoot what he does at the end of "a" game.

He will be my starter.

If you don't care what your QB does at the end of a game, why would you want him as your starter.

If my quarterback doesn't care or makes the same mistakes at the end of any particular game, he's definitely not my starter.

Kirk needs to have a killer mentality, a competitive drive that wins the game. I want our QB to lead, and to drive the team to victory, not just hold someone else's seat for them while they are out.

We'll see if Gruden can coach him up in this area because otherwise Cousins has looked great.

Kirk needs to have a killer mentality, a competitive drive that wins the game. I want our QB to lead, and to drive the team to victory, not just hold someone else's seat for them while they are out.

He needs to give 110 percent and realize that there is no I in team. He has to stay focused and take it one game at a time. He needs to understand his role, do his job, and be a team player.

He needs to give 110 percent and realize that there is no I in team. He has to stay focused and take it one game at a time. He needs to understand his role, do his job, and be a team player.

leave it all on the field and be willing to die on the field. First one in, last to leave. Grab the bull by the horns and never quit. Want to be the very best, that no one ever was.

Just like Joe Flacco

Only experience fixes this, and we have a young humble QB who took note to it last Sunday.

Redskins.com Kirk Cousins To Lean On Experience In Crunch Time

Cousins – who was making just his fifth-career start Sunday – said he was disappointed he couldn’t deliver for his team in crunch time, but chalks it up as a learning experience that he hopes he can lean on down the road.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Kirk-Cousins-To-Lean-On-Experience-In-Crunch-Time/cf297ec4-da37-4c59-9871-1f703215133e

Cousins – who was making just his fifth-career start Sunday – said he was disappointed he couldn’t deliver for his team in crunch time, but chalks it up as a learning experience that he hopes he can lean on down the road.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Kirk-Cousins-To-Lean-On-Experience-In-Crunch-Time/cf297ec4-da37-4c59-9871-1f703215133e

Even better! Crunch Time Cousins, sounds like a new kind of biscuit or pretzel.

Only experience fixes this, and we have a young humble QB who took note to it last Sunday.

This is also my point for Robert, only experience fixes his hesitation, which is obviously thinking about what he should do instead of having seen it and done it enough to just know and react. Takes time learning to play in a West Coast offense instead of the Spread which dominates College football today. Missing time due to injury during that learning process doesn't help at all. 

I like Kirk, I think he can get it done in the 4th, he just got impatient last game and rushed some throws and turned the ball over as he tried to force a ball to Niles, where he could have thrown it to Roberts as Gruden and Kirk said. Also I like that the Eagles chose to stop the run and force Kirk to throw the ball which was a bad idea, he just needs to finish. Like i said before teams will pick there poison, run, or pass the team has to take advantage of it either way. 

I think Eli makes it in 'cause rings and NYC, not because he deserves it. I think if Rivers gets a ring and has signature playoff moment in doing so he also makes it.

I think Eli won't make it, rings and all. He's damaging his case every year.

Rivers maybe if he gets a ring.

But the eye test says neither are as good as Elway, Marino or Kelly.

Rothlisburger has an argument over Kelly.

Even the most delusional of Dallas fans would concede that A-Rod a better QB than romoSUCKS. So why such an emphasis on being "clutch"? Now, compare their QB records: A-Rod is 59-31 (.656 winning percentage) and romoSUCKS is 65-46 (.586 winning percentage). So no, Cousins doesn't necessarily have to be "clutch" to become a winning QB, and "clutchness" is overrated if A-Rod is any indication.

We're calling him A-Rod now?

When the hell did this happen?

Archived