Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kirk Cousins Clutch? Does he have the moxy to lead a 4th Quarter comeback?

Boss_Hogg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what anyone says, Kirk Cousins is a stud in the making! There are only a handful of QB's in this league that can make the throws that Kirk is making. His passes are very accurate as well as the bombs he drops on defenses.. He is young,smart, and humble, the ingredients of a true star. 

All he lacks is playing experience and that's all he lacks. Jay Gruden spoke out before the Monday Night game and said he has just started working with the 1st unit and only has 6 games under his belt, and with experience he is going to be great. I totally agree and am glad he's a Redskin. If Griffin gets re-injured and misses the season, he will have a fight on his hands to get his position back after Cousins gets a season under his belt. 

Just wait till Kirk has more experience, we will see those 4th quarter comebacks as well as more blowouts, well if our Defense could ever hold anyone under 27-40 points. The biggest mistake the Redskins could make is to trade him. Check out these highlights...

I don't care what anyone says, Kirk Cousins is a stud in the making! There are only a handful of QB's in this league that can make the throws that Kirk is making. His passes are very accurate as well as the bombs he drops on defenses.. He is young,smart, and humble, the ingredients of a true star. 

All he lacks is playing experience and that's all he lacks. Jay Gruden spoke out before the Monday Night game and said he has just started working with the 1st unit and only has 6 games under his belt, and with experience he is going to be great. I totally agree and am glad he's a Redskin. If Griffin gets re-injured and misses the season, he will have a fight on his hands to get his position back after Cousins gets a season under his belt. 

Just wait till Kirk has more experience, we will see those 4th quarter comebacks as well as more blowouts, well if our Defense could ever hold anyone under 27-40 points. The biggest mistake the Redskins could make is to trade him. Check out these highlights...

I agree with you.  With the exception of the complete mental breakdown in the N.Y. game he has played well.   But the mental aspect is the make or break you in the NFL as QB these days.  He's definitely not there yet and I just don't know if "time" will make that happen.   I thought given how Jackson was burning the coverage and Kirk was spot on in the Seattle game they should have dialed up a few more his way.  Why didn't they?   Once again IMO it was the Skins coaches moving away from something that was working.  And they often do.  He was so "on" they should have unleashed another five bombs Jackson's way and forced Seattle to stop it. 

Then I look at Wilson. Seattle game planned his running.  They unleashed him and he gashed our LB's and secondary and they kept it up until he got pounded, but towards the end of the game he was at it again.  

Regardless of what happens here I suspect Kirk is going to want and get a fresh start somewhere else when his contract expires, which is after this year I think. 

If Kirk can average 275 yds, 2 TDs, and a QB rating of 100+ ... I don't give a hoot what he does at the end of "a" game.

He will be my starter.

Not me.  First, I'll say, we need to give Kirk some time to see if he succeeds in these situations.     But for the time being, yeah we've had plenty of years where we teased, came close but lost -- a good chunk of the Norv Turner years.  I want a QB who plays well in the 4th quarter and makes plays on third downs.    Going 8-8 for the season, with up and down roller coaster games where we often end up on the short end of the stick, sounds better than what's cooking now, but not my idea of NFL success.  Kirk needs more time to show what he's got.  But for me watching Wilson made me more into RG3.   A mobile QB with accuracy is hard to stop in the right system.

I agree with you.  With the exception of the complete mental breakdown in the N.Y. game he has played well.   But the mental aspect is the make or break you in the NFL as QB these days.  He's definitely not there yet and I just don't know if "time" will make that happen.   I thought given how Jackson was burning the coverage and Kirk was spot on in the Seattle game they should have dialed up a few more his way.  Why didn't they?   Once again IMO it was the Skins coaches moving away from something that was working.  And they often do.  He was so "on" they should have unleashed another five bombs Jackson's way and forced Seattle to stop it. 

Then I look at Wilson. Seattle game planned his running.  They unleashed him and he gashed our LB's and secondary and they kept it up until he got pounded, but towards the end of the game he was at it again.  

Regardless of what happens here I suspect Kirk is going to want and get a fresh start somewhere else when his contract expires, which is after this year I think. 

Gruden should have bombed Seattle all night, they had no answer for it and could not keep up with DJax. Speed is definitely a huge strength of our offense and we need to make this a big part of our game plan. We had speed in the 91 Super Bowl season and Gibbs would light up defenses with it. They connected over 60 times on plays that went for 40 yards or more, for anyone who thinks you can't go deep often, tell the 91 Redskins that. Gibbs would use his strengths and went to 4 Super Bowls because of it, Gruden should do the very same.   

Gruden should have bombed Seattle all night, they had no answer for it and could not keep up with DJax. Speed is definitely a huge strength of our offense and we need to make this a big part of our game plan. We had speed in the 91 Super Bowl season and Gibbs would light up defenses with it. They connected over 60 times on plays that went for 40 yards or more, for anyone who thinks you can't go deep often, tell the 91 Redskins that. Gibbs would use his strengths and went to 4 Super Bowls because of it, Gruden should do the very same.   

I actually agree with you to a certain point. Jackson speed definitely gives defenses fits at times. But the speed of the game has greatly changed since 91. I remember Lawrence Taylor, Junior Seau, Derrick Thomas and Brian Bosworth where the fastest LB I've ever seen. Now most LB run like that. LB in todays NFL cover so much ground. Seattle would've adjusted their defense and not allowed bombs to Jackson all night.

Kirk did throw a couple of beauties though. Alfred Morris couldn't get going, so that negated the playaction. So it would've  been Jackson flat out running past them more times than not. I don't think that puts Kirk Cousins in the best scenario as far as building his confidence throughout the entire game though.

If the CB gives him a 8yd cushion with Earl Thomas over top and those fast LB underneath that's not a good situation for Cousins to buy time until Jackson clears with the way our oline blocks. And they would've done just that, and swapped Chancellor to more run support. That's the adjustment I see happening because Earl Thomas is faster than Chancellor and can cover over the top better.

I also feel they didn't want Kirks confidence ruined any further by INT's. Which he played ok. It took awhile for the offense to get going. The defense played ok, as did special teams. But the defense gave up some big plays in that game that where ALL called back too.

Who knows how ugly this game could've actually been.

I don't know if we can say if Cousins is or he is not clutch. I mean you look at the Ravens game in 2012, comes in throws a TD and has a QB sneak to tie the game against on of the best Ds in the League, and the eventual SB champs.

Atlanta last year, he had the team right there, and Shanny goes for the win instead of the tie which should have been the play because momentum was on our side IMO.

Jacksonville comes in cold, first pass is a TD. Clutch or not?

From all the games he has played this season, the 2nd half against the Giants stands out as one of the worse showings by any QB, yet people forget this team put a huge effort against the Eagles less than 80 hours before that game. Honestly to you guys seeing the Giants blowing us out if Paulson hold on to the ball before the 2nd half? Hell I see us winning the damn game if we come away with a TD there.

IMO we will see who Cousins is the next 3 games because finally he has had a couple of weeks full practice with the starters. People keep forgetting we have a mediocre team and the kid has not started even double digit games yet.

Archived