Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Redskins' defense hammers Jaguars into oblivion

Califan007 The Constipated

They were set up by Philly turnovers. Maybe our D is better than Philly's as well?

Keenan Robinson, Ryan Clark, Jason Hatcher and David Amerson are adding an dimension to this defense we did not have last year.

Keenan's speed in the middle is insane. He's quickly turning into one of the best young inside backers in the league and the fact that he calls the defense makes it even more impressive.

Amerson is what he was at NC state before a poor season let draft pundits drop him down the boards. He's a stud, #1 shutdown corner in the making. He's big, physical and fast. He's not going to get best often this year and is light years beyond what we had in Wilson last year.

Ryan Clark is an animal. Receivers fear him and when Meriweather comes back we will have two enforcers back there.

Hatcher...there's not much to say about Hatcher other than I'm in awe of him when he's on the field. Jerry Jones is a complete moron.

This defense has a chance to be special. If Haslett can't make this thing work with all the talent he has to play with than he needs to be fired. So far so good and I'm happy for coach Jim. I wanted to move on from him but it does appear at the moment that Shanny was holding him back.

Hatcher...there's not much to say about Hatcher other than I'm in awe of him when he's on the field. Jerry Jones is a complete moron.

We've never had any ex-Cowboy players that were worth anything when they came here... until now.

I think the defensive gods are making up for our previous mistake with Albert blubberbutt

We've never had any ex-Cowboy players that were worth anything when they came here... until now.

I think the defensive gods are making up for our previous mistake with Albert blubberbutt

Dude, hatcher is an amazing player. He's everything we've needed on this DL since we made the switch. It's awesome watching him play.

Remember that the Eagles are missing quite a few players on their OL. Lane Johnson is still out suspended and IIRC they lost at least two OL starters to injury last week. I'm not saying we'll get 10 sacks again of course, but we could make life hard on Foles and co.

Hatcher is the key. He is absolutely dominant. When your DL in the 3-4 can wreck that kind of havoc it just opens things up for everyone else. Baker is also quite good. Makes me wonder why he didn't play more last year. Maybe Haslett was on to something when talking about Shanahan handcuffing him...

Look.... I too am having a hard time not saying. ... hey it WAS Jax.

Seems winning and looking good is hard for us to accept . Understandably so.... especially the younger crowd that hasn't had a chance to see this team look so good.

Lets not dwell on the negatives. Let's enjoy this one. Not often we are on this side of the score. So lets all just enjoy this. ... in this moment.

Man...I have never seen a defensive performance like that ever from this franchise. I started expecting sacks lol. Kerrigan is a ****ing monster man.

Just beautiful. 

If Bacarri Rambo wasn't so horrible at sports, it would have been even better

Lol.  Not just football....ALL sports. hahaha. made my night.

P.S. As far as the "but it WAS the Jags" talk....listen, this is precisely the type of team in past years we either A) think we'll beat and lose to and can't defend worth jack or B  ) barely beat in heart attack fashion.....so I say this was a HUGE accomplishment.

The way they've played these first two games maybe there was legit claims to Shanny handcuffing Haslett.  Good job to the defensive lads.  I was a skeptic but they're proving me wrong.  Long may it continue.

I would caution that we have faced the Texans and the Jags - neither of whom are exactly offensive powerhouses. There will be stiffer tests ahead, starting this week against the Eagles. Still you can only play whats put up against you and the defense was good week one and spectacular week 2. Take away those two long completions by the Jags and we totally shut them down.

I'm beginning to believe that Shanny didn't just handcuff Haslett, but he very well may have shackled him to a wall in a bleak dungeon used for torturing the souls of defensive coordinators. This defense, over the last two weeks, has looked vastly different from last year and the outing yesterday was unequivocally one of the best, if not THE best performance by the Redskins I've seen since I became a fan in the 80s. ****ing incredible! :)

I would caution that we have faced the Texans and the Jags

But come on man - 10 sacks. 10!! That's unheard of. How long have we displayed poor defense against horrible offenses? For us, whether it was against an offensive powerhouse or the Jags, it's still hard to believe we could've played to the level we played yesterday. While I agree with you that we need to temper our emotions, I think we can all agree that the defensive unit is vastly different and a great deal better than last year. ;)

I think we all agree the only bad thing from today was Rambo. I believe he'll find his spot on the bench next week. 

He was replaced after that, too.  Very few weaknesses in this defense at least one deep.  The starters are excellent.

If we can get leads in games and keep opponents in passing situations, the defense will look like this all season.  It wasn't a mirage, we have three really good pass rushers and a guy who can push the pocket back by himself.  We have a physical and hawking secondary with new leadership... and we have new speed at ILB that wasn't there last year.

I'm not saying we'll get 10 sacks a game, but if we get a lead, these types of performances will be the norm.

"It's just the Jaguars" lol

Yeah it was just Matt Cassell and the Vikings last season.

It was just Josh McNown last year with the Bears.

Good defenses eat ****ty offenses and that's what happened yesterday.

Yessir.

Remember when buffalo came into DC 2011 and got 10 sacks and shut us out? Take a look how they did the rest of the season after that game. While better than a loss, I'm not putting much stock in this game.

Our defense played REALLY well against Houston, too.  They also played REALLY well in the preseason.

Don't measure it in sacks, this is a very good defense.

How did those clowns score 17 unanswered points against the eagles last week? They looked incapable of positive plays most of the day?

Since then, they've been outscored 75-7. Rough.

And yes it was "only the Jags" but 10 sacks is impressive against anyone. They never made it to our side of the field. That long TD pass was pretty much the only thing they were able to do right all day against our defense.

I still think Haslett is a bum, but I do like what I'm seeing. Next week is going to be tough, but I think we have a pretty decent shot at taking a win in Filthy. Cousins just needs to protect the ball, otherwise I like the way he gets rid of it quickly and goes through his progressions quickly. And FEED Alfred the ball. He needs 20+ carries next week. Still, that was a lot of fun to watch, and the way we did not take our foot off of the gas after we got up on them was even better. I've seen us do that and then coast in the past and have it come back to haunt us. There was none of that today.

They never made it to our side of the field.

For giggles, that performance yesterday has us #1 in the NFL in total defense.  lol

Some times I think the network guys in the trailer like to amuse themselves.

I think it was late in the 3rd, yesterday, CBS put up a stat at the top pf the screen. Something like:

Plays in opponent's territory

Was: 38 Jax: 0

Total Jaguars plays: 37

But come on man - 10 sacks. 10!! That's unheard of. How long have we displayed poor defense against horrible offenses? For us, whether it was against an offensive powerhouse or the Jags, it's still hard to believe we could've played to the level we played yesterday. While I agree with you that we need to temper our emotions, I think we can all agree that the defensive unit is vastly different and a great deal better than last year. ;)

Hey like you say 10 sacks is something against any NFL team. Like I said in my post you can only beat whats in front of you.

All I will say right now is so far so very good. Merriweather is back this week as well and while I am far from his biggest fan he will take Rambo off the field (and maybe off the roster) - that kid just gives up too many big plays.

I would caution that we have faced the Texans and the Jags - neither of whom are exactly offensive powerhouses. There will be stiffer tests ahead, starting this week against the Eagles. Still you can only play whats put up against you and the defense was good week one and spectacular week 2. Take away those two long completions by the Jags and we totally shut them down.

Agreed, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.  They're proving it to me, they haven't proven it yet.

Defense has been very good thus far, though the caveat is that it's been against Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne. 10 sacks is 10 sacks though. No matter who you play, that's phenomenal.

Our first test will come next week against the empty trophy case team. The offense is really going to need to sustain drives and keep their offense off the field.

"It's just the Jaguars" lol

Yeah it was just Matt Cassell and the Vikings last season.

It was just Josh McNown last year with the Bears.

Good defenses eat ****ty offenses and that's what happened yesterday.

Ding ****ing ding. Did any historically great defense face an insane offensive juggernaut every week? I think not.

Even the '85 bears got Pol Pot'ed by Marino and the Dolphins. They did what great D's do. They beat the brakes off of inferior opponents

I fully expect Rambo to get cut when Merriweather vets activated. Akeem Davis has played well, as has Trenton Robinson...Rambo has not.

And we thought we had a steal in the draft once upon a time.  lol  He's arguably been the worst player on the team these past two years.  

Who stole my plate of crow with all the trimmings?

I was one of the most critical ESers of Haslett, and yes, this win was against the Jaguars, but wow.

WOW!

I'm gonna tone down my praise of the job Haslett has done thus far this year, but it definitely looks like a different defense on the field.  Everyone seemed focused, proper tackling, hard hitting, dumb penalties down, and they look like they had a chip, no, a boulder on their shoulders to prove they can play.

Now, I don't expect to see this kind of performance week in and out [ although it would be sweet ] but if they can play with half as much intensity during the season that they played today, it will be a huge benefit to the offense, and this would be a team to reckon with in December, and probably January as well.

But today, my hat is off to Haslett and the job he did today. also was good to see him on the sidelines where he can hear what the players are saying.

Hats off to you, very commendable.

Archived