Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Nfl.com; Rotoworld Jackson signs for three years as a Redskin

Johns Bass

Thinks I like about the signing:

• Will be a starter on day 1
  • A pseudo-first round pick for the Skins for 2014. Yeah, he's only under contract for 3 years but he comes with experience.
  • Beagles won't get any compensatory pick next year for losing him because they cut him.

Alright, here's my question since I don't follow the Eagles a ton outside of us playing them.  I'm aware that DeSean has had issues in the past with attitude, motivation, not showing up to meetings, etc.  Can anyone tell me what was the source of this, beyond him being constantly unhappy with his contract?

The reason I'm concerned is because of how much we may or may not utilize him.  I looked at the Bengals stats from last year, and AJ Green had 98 catches, 1,426 yards, 11 TD's.  Clearly a stud and their #1 option.  We have Garcon, who we can admit isn't as much of a physical freak, but he is still very good and presumably our #1 option.

After that, Cincy's receptions went to Marvin Jones (51 catches), Gio Bernard (56 catches), Mohammed Sanu (47 catches) Jermaine Gresham (46 catches), and Tyler Eifert (39 catches).  Using those numbers as a baseline, we know that Alfred Morris isn't really a receiving threat like Gio Bernard, so let's take away 30 of those from the RB position and split them up between the two wideouts.  Note, I'm leaving the TE position along, Gresham and Eifert are fairly equal to the Reed/Paulson combo we have in terms of efficiency and yardage.

So we're looking at somewhere around 130 receptions to be split among D-Jax, Andre Robert, Moss, and any 3rd down running back.  Is that going to be enough to keep him happy?  His season averages, adjusting for injuries, is about 66 catches per season, but he's also never had his status as the #1 in dispute.  I do worry a bit, since his history is a little volatile in terms of being happy with the front office, how well he'll handle being the (presumed going into camp) #2 guy and possible seeing his targets drop.

18 was my first thought.

Hopefully Moss gets the boot. We have Roberts, remember.

Moss is going nowhere and rightfully so. A major part of his role will now be to take Jackson under his wing and that is good news for us. Jackson will be watched over by a very high character person in Moss and the fact that they play the same position is obviously a big plus. Moss will be a big reason why the signing of Jackson is going to work out well for us and the value of bringing back Moss just went up substantially with the signing of Jackson.

Alright, here's my question since I don't follow the Eagles a ton outside of us playing them.  I'm aware that DeSean has had issues in the past with attitude, motivation, not showing up to meetings, etc.  Can anyone tell me what was the source of this, beyond him being constantly unhappy with his contract?

The reason I'm concerned is because of how much we may or may not utilize him.  I looked at the Bengals stats from last year, and AJ Green had 98 catches, 1,426 yards, 11 TD's.  Clearly a stud and their #1 option.  We have Garcon, who we can admit isn't as much of a physical freak, but he is still very good and presumably our #1 option.

After that, Cincy's receptions went to Marvin Jones (51 catches), Gio Bernard (56 catches), Mohammed Sanu (47 catches) Jermaine Gresham (46 catches), and Tyler Eifert (39 catches).  Using those numbers as a baseline, we know that Alfred Morris isn't really a receiving threat like Gio Bernard, so let's take away 30 of those from the RB position and split them up between the two wideouts.  Note, I'm leaving the TE position along, Gresham and Eifert are fairly equal to the Reed/Paulson combo we have in terms of efficiency and yardage.

So we're looking at somewhere around 130 receptions to be split among D-Jax, Andre Robert, Moss, and any 3rd down running back.  Is that going to be enough to keep him happy?  His season averages, adjusting for injuries, is about 66 catches per season, but he's also never had his status as the #1 in dispute.  I do worry a bit, since his history is a little volatile in terms of being happy with the front office, how well he'll handle being the (presumed going into camp) #2 guy and possible seeing his targets drop.

That's definitely somthing to monitor. It'll be interesting to see if he can handle being the #2 or 1b option here as opposed to being #1 in Philly. I think he'll still catch around 60-80 passes this season. I think getting DJax makes it less likely that we'll utilize our RB in the passing game as much.

You don't keep Moss on the team for babysitting.  I'm sorry, but that's a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot....the sentimental attachment yall get to players needs to stop (did the same thing w/ Cooley even when he was clearly washed). Yes, he was a good redskin, but if he becomes a casualty due to the Jackson signing, oh well.  We have enough high-character guys on the offense who actually contribute (Garcon, Morris, RG3, Trent, etc.). 

Alright, here's my question since I don't follow the Eagles a ton outside of us playing them. I'm aware that DeSean has had issues in the past with attitude, motivation, not showing up to meetings, etc. Can anyone tell me what was the source of this, beyond him being constantly unhappy with his contract?

The reason I'm concerned is because of how much we may or may not utilize him. I looked at the Bengals stats from last year, and AJ Green had 98 catches, 1,426 yards, 11 TD's. Clearly a stud and their #1 option. We have Garcon, who we can admit isn't as much of a physical freak, but he is still very good and presumably our #1 option.

After that, Cincy's receptions went to Marvin Jones (51 catches), Gio Bernard (56 catches), Mohammed Sanu (47 catches) Jermaine Gresham (46 catches), and Tyler Eifert (39 catches). Using those numbers as a baseline, we know that Alfred Morris isn't really a receiving threat like Gio Bernard, so let's take away 30 of those from the RB position and split them up between the two wideouts. Note, I'm leaving the TE position along, Gresham and Eifert are fairly equal to the Reed/Paulson combo we have in terms of efficiency and yardage.

So we're looking at somewhere around 130 receptions to be split among D-Jax, Andre Robert, Moss, and any 3rd down running back. Is that going to be enough to keep him happy? His season averages, adjusting for injuries, is about 66 catches per season, but he's also never had his status as the #1 in dispute. I do worry a bit, since his history is a little volatile in terms of being happy with the front office, how well he'll handle being the (presumed going into camp) #2 guy and possible seeing his targets drop.

Jones split time as the #2 with sanu.

Yeah, Moss as mentor doesn't really work for two reasons.  Desean is an established vet and probowler.  He doesn't need a babysitter or someone to show him how to be a pro (at least not directly), but even more, this is Moss' first year in the system too.  Santana will be learning it just as Jackson will.  So, since they are at least on the same level as a receiver, I doubt Desean will look to Moss.

You don't keep Moss on the team for babysitting.  I'm sorry, but that's a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot....the sentimental attachment yall get to players needs to stop (did the same thing w/ Cooley even when he was clearly washed). Yes, he was a good redskin, but if he becomes a casualty due to the Jackson signing, oh well.  We have enough high-character guys on the offense who actually contribute (Garcon, Morris, RG3, Trent, etc.). 

Cooley was a good player, but was not the kind of guy to watch over a younger guy...neither was Portis. I'm not a real sentimental guy and in fact was somewhat glad when the Skins finally let those two guys go. Moss is going to be here and it's a great move by us to keep him....in my humble opinion.

Jones split time as the #2 with sanu.

Right, I'm considering them both #2 receivers, but we also have Andre Roberts who is pretty competent as a slot guy and will get looks.  To me, it's the same situation, even if D-Jax is favored more over Roberts.

As to what others are saying, I don't think it's a waste of a roster spot to keep Moss on for veteran leadership/mentoring.  The one thing D-Jax doesn't like doing is going over the middle and taking hits, something Moss will do without issue.  If anything, D-Jax is replacing Aldrick Robinson; their skill sets are similar, D-Jax is just much better at it.

Cooley was a good player, but was not the kind of guy to watch over a younger guy...neither was Portis. I'm not a real sentimental guy and in fact was somewhat glad when the Skins finally let those two guys go. Moss is going to be here and it's a great move by us to keep him....in my humble opinion.

If he's here b/c the coaches think that he can contribute, that's one thing....keeping him around for the purposes of babysitting is another, and a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot. 

And as I said before...if he's a casualty because of this signing, I really wouldn't care.  I'm appreciative of what he's done in his tenure here in DC, but we need to start looking forward as a fanbase rather than getting caught up with our feelings for sentimental reasons.  In addition, you can EASILY make an argument that Moss is washed...or close to it. 

If he's here b/c the coaches think that he can contribute, that's one thing....keeping him around for the purposes of babysitting is another, and a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot. 

And as I said before...if he's a casualty because of this signing, I really wouldn't care.  I'm appreciative of what he's done in his tenure here in DC, but we need to start looking forward as a fanbase rather than getting caught up with our feelings for sentimental reasons.  In addition, you can EASILY make an argument that Moss is washed...or close to it. 

It's no argument that Moss is clearly not the player he once was. However, great teams are made Moday through Saturday for the most part and what Moss can give on the practice field, film room, locker room etc. is where his value is going to be felt. I'd almost bet that having Moss on the roster was a big reason why Allen, Gruden and Snyder felt comfortable with signing Jackson. You're looking at Moss as a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot based solely on what he might or might not contribute on Sunday's. But aside from what me and you think, if you asked the Skins' players how they feel about Moss being a valuable part of the team, I'm confident the consensus would be that he's a big part of the TEAM and his contributions on Sunday's will just be an added bonus to what he brings to the TEAM Monday through Saturday.

It's no argument that Moss is clearly not the player he once was. However, great teams are made Moday through Saturday for the most part and what Moss can give on the practice field, film room, locker room etc. is where his value is going to be felt. I'd almost bet that having Moss on the roster was a big reason why Allen, Gruden and Snyder felt comfortable with signing Jackson. You're looking at Moss as a COMPLETE waste of a roster spot based solely on what he might or might not contribute on Sunday's. But aside from what me and you think, if you asked the Skins' players how they feel about Moss being a valuable part of the team, I'm confident the consensus would be that he's a big part of the TEAM and his contributions on Sunday's will just be an added bonus to what he brings to the TEAM Monday through Saturday.

Let's also not rule out that he can recover from the subpar season he had last year and contribute on offense.  He's only a season removed from a pretty good season as a role player.  And let's be honest.  As much as we'd like to see the young players we have drafted develop on offense, none of them are exactly shoe-ins to be better than Moss.

and it wouldn't be a true Redskins victory without a little hate from a Seahawks fan:

Dan "instant gratification" Snyder strikes again.

yeah, because that's exactly what this move was.  Idiot lol.

Archived