Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Nfl.com; Rotoworld Jackson signs for three years as a Redskin

Johns Bass

Is Jim Haslett still coaching our defense?

yes?!? OH GOD NO!

WHAT ARE YOU ALL SMILING ABOUT?

This year we will see if Hasbeen was really truly held back by Shanny. 

I so hope to God he was... But even you look at last year a lot of games were lost because of the O. Our D was overall rated like 16th in the league. 

When you draft a player, and he develops into a top-flight receiver like you hoped, in order to keep him around in his prime you will need to lock him up with some big money, we just let someone else develop him. It's no difference.

Paying a player what he's worth in his prime is good business, especially when that player is hungry and scorned by his old team that's in the same division.

Where you get yourself in trouble is when someone like champ bailey or Demarcus ware becomes available and you throw a ridiculous amount of money at them even though they are past their prime. Or when a questionable player is coming off a great contract year and you pay him for what he did that one year vs what you think he's gonna do in the future.

If a player is motivated by the love of the game, a contract year will only affect his game but so much, because he's gonna have such a consistent level of okay throughout his career.

A player motivated by only money you will almost always see them skate by until that contract year then they pull the bait and switch. Don't think these guys don't know what they're doing

I think this is a good move inasmuch as it makes our offense more potent by adding a legit weapon, and it gives us a quality punt return man we lack.

I have my doubts about his ego though, and I'm a bit concerned given our history with big name free agents.

On paper DJax makes us better, time will tell if it works in reality.

One signing does not make our year. I think its a good move, but we don't know how much cap space they locked up on him. We still have a ton of question marks along the O line, no protection means no deep balls. In the defensive backfield. 34 y/o Ryan Clark and re-signing Merriweather and journeyman Terry Porter doesn't really solve anything there. This is fun and all but not worth losing sleep over, I like it, but talk to me in in September when we start playing real games. 

One signing does not make our year. I think its a good move, but we don't know how much cap space they locked up on him. We still have a ton of question marks along the O line, no protection means no deep balls. In the defensive backfield. 34 y/o Ryan Clark and re-signing Merriweather and journeyman Terry Porter doesn't really solve anything there. This is fun and all but not worth losing sleep over, I like it, but talk to me in in September when we start playing real games.

Well arent you a ray of sunshine.

I actually agree with you about the online. Thats definitely a concern. It's obvious why Clark was signed though. We needed a veteran presence. And it's only a 1 year deal. And it's "Tracy" Porter, dude.

How do you not know that NFL WR's must wear 10-19 or 80-89?

Yeah, really. It's like some of these guys just started following the NFL.

Jeez Pop....I was hoping you'd be excited about your presents.  Santa even left you milk and cookies.  Now you know why I cut myself.   :(

Welcome DeSean Jackson! Glad to see you a redskin :)

I think this move will help out our O-line a lot, the routes will develop much faster with this receiving corps, more options to go with screens, less guys to deal with coming to implode the pocket. Also our special teams turns from a weakness to a strength if he returns kicks, plus you added a major playmaker and homerun threat. So basically you fix 3 parts with 1 move, I like it.

If there was one position of need that I did not want addressed via the draft, it was WR. They just bust far too often. and often take many years to pan out if they don't. 

We got 2 vets for RG3. That's going to make everyones job a whole lot easier, including our OL. Right now. We got pressed and jammed making RG3 hold the ball more than we wanted last year. No respect. Things just changed.  

And we got 2 returners for teams. I think I can safely say Roberts / DJ >>>> Morgan is one thing all fans can be in full agreement on, maybe a first. 

I think he will take 19

Mixed feelings.

I love the hunt and being the victor feels good, but we've signed so many prominent wide receivers before... so many big named guys to such little effect  and again, we're doing it in bunches.

Now, you can argue that Desean is a bigger name than Moss, Lloyd, and Randle El, or Morgan, Garcon, and his age is a plus as should be his hunger.  More, we've seen before that his play doesn't fall off afte the big contract because he had a big year last year with a big contract, but I do worry about some of his intangibles... I do worry that there are areas of need that keep being fixed on the cheap while we sign these mazerattis.

Jackson should be great and it feels like most on the team from the players side were really advocating for this which makes me think it should work, but I just feel conflicted.

Then again, you can't address every hole in a year and Penn, for instance, would have been expensive and likely not much of an upgrade.  Hopefully, we land some big heavies in the draft.

Archived