Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Nfl.com; Rotoworld Jackson signs for three years as a Redskin

Johns Bass

listening to cooley n czbae podcast, good stuff from Cooley as usual.  He put into words what I've been thinking for a long time about DJax and, of all people Santana.  Cooley spoke of Jackson's awesome body-control, in terms of taking 3 steps off the line and coming back for a screen so well that he sells a seam route;  things like that.  While trying to defend Santana in his later years, I'd say things like 'his spin is so good', 'he's quick as a hiccup'.  And that's body control.  Keeping your feet, momentum always in the right direction.  A rare trait that Cooley says best he's seen since 'Santana circa 5 years ago'.

Simply HAVING Desean (and the media hype doesn't hurt either, bring it on), TRULY, and not fluff high-profile-signing, TRULY will make defenses adjust.  You're already winning the chess match.  Philly handled this weapon in an odd way, somewhere between Andy Reid not running it enough, and chip kelly having his style of scheme, and a lot of special teams things.  I ALMOST wish the Shannahan's would have had the opportunity to play with this toy.  I ALMOST wish jackson was around for RG3's rookie year when he was all about running around and tossing options.  Jackson can do things from the backfield, and RG3 baffled people as a rookie by himself.  We might even have to hold ourselves back from the things that can be done.  That sounds like overreaction and typical fake enthusiasm, but I really think it's for real this time.  Here's to an even MORE exciting offense than 2012 :cheers beer smiley guys:

This isn't 2005, man. The guy can't play anymore. You don't keep guys around for sentimental reasons, or to have around the locker room.

Leadership is an invaluable trait, man. Why else do you think we held on to London Fletcher for so long, despite the obvious dip in performance over the last couple of years? Keeping players around just because they are young (and also underperforming--such as Hank and ARob) is also just as crazy. Besides, with the people we added in FA, Moss will barely see the field anyway. With the loss of Fletcher, his leadership will be absolutely crucial to have. 

Umm, no.. Good teams don't keep players because of what they've done in the past. You hang on and sign players because what you think they can do in the future. Yes, leadership is invaluable BUT, I have to disagree with you bradboy.

And comparing old players (who are past their prime) to young players (who are just reaching it, or haven't reached their prime yet) is funny.

On one hand, you know that player is old and just can't really hang anymore, but he's a hell of a leader. And you have young players who are still learning and coming into their prime possibly.. You don't cut the young talent to keep a guy for "leadership"

Ryan Clark will step in for fletch as that mentor, and hopefully that will help.

Robert will be the leader on offense

Interesting. Guess this means Garcon will continue to be used largely as a possession WR which is arguably misusage given his speed, but it's hard to argue with the 1,300 yards he put up, and with the 1,300 yards Jackson put up primarily as a deep threat. Welcome to DC.

Yeah, Garcon has demonstrated that he's good at it.  Lots to be said for that. 

Umm, no.. Good teams don't keep players because of what they've done in the past. You hang on and sign players because what you think they can do in the future. Yes, leadership is invaluable BUT, I have to disagree with you bradboy.

And comparing old players (who are past their prime) to young players (who are just reaching it, or haven't reached their prime yet) is funny.
On one hand, you know that player is old and just can't really hang anymore, but he's a hell of a leader. And you have young players who are still learning and coming into their prime possibly.. You don't cut the young talent to keep a guy for "leadership"

Ryan Clark will step in for fletch as that mentor, and hopefully that will help.

Robert will be the leader on offense

I never said anything about keeping somebody because of what they did in the past. Only what they bring to the team right now. Name me five other receivers on the roster that bring more to the table than Moss. The first three are easy. But after that, it gets muddy. Hank? He's injured yet again, and there is no telling how well he'll come back from this one. We've been saying for two years now that "he's going to break out this time!" and he never does. Robinson? Eh, maybe eventually....but that's a big maybe. In my opinion, everything he brought to the table (speed) has been absolutely cancelled out by DJax. He brings nothing to the table but youth right now. If that changes, I'll be ecstatic (I've liked him ever since he was drafted, so I'm pulling for him). But that is entirely just my opinion.  Guess we'll see how it plays out in camp. :)

As for Ryan Clark, he will be a leader eventually. But it will take some time. While he is a veteran, and absolutely has those leadership/mentor traits, he is still one of the "new guys". It will take time for the guys who have been here, to build that trust. So I'm with ya there; not worried about the D. 

Consider this. We signed DJax for essentially Laurent Robinson money.

wow ...

I think the what will really drive this deal over the top is what we get out of him in the return game. I'm fine if he's real limited, but if gets a few a game, wow, what a steal. 

Interesting. Guess this means Garcon will continue to be used largely as a possession WR which is arguably misusage given his speed, but it's hard to argue with the 1,300 yards he put up, and with the 1,300 yards Jackson put up primarily as a deep threat. Welcome to DC.

I don't know ... I think Garcon's strength and speed come after the catch. He doesn't seem like the type to blow by someone on a go route. 

listening to cooley n czbae podcast, good stuff from Cooley as usual.  He put into words what I've been thinking for a long time about DJax and, of all people Santana.  Cooley spoke of Jackson's awesome body-control, in terms of taking 3 steps off the line and coming back for a screen so well that he sells a seam route;  things like that.  While trying to defend Santana in his later years, I'd say things like 'his spin is so good', 'he's quick as a hiccup'.  And that's body control.  Keeping your feet, momentum always in the right direction.  A rare trait that Cooley says best he's seen since 'Santana circa 5 years ago'.

Simply HAVING Desean (and the media hype doesn't hurt either, bring it on), TRULY, and not fluff high-profile-signing, TRULY will make defenses adjust.  You're already winning the chess match.  Philly handled this weapon in an odd way, somewhere between Andy Reid not running it enough, and chip kelly having his style of scheme, and a lot of special teams things.  I ALMOST wish the Shannahan's would have had the opportunity to play with this toy.  I ALMOST wish jackson was around for RG3's rookie year when he was all about running around and tossing options.  Jackson can do things from the backfield, and RG3 baffled people as a rookie by himself.  We might even have to hold ourselves back from the things that can be done.  That sounds like overreaction and typical fake enthusiasm, but I really think it's for real this time.  Here's to an even MORE exciting offense than 2012 :cheers beer smiley guys:

I'm glad the Shanahans are gone, Kyle would probably have a pitch tossed to Jackson in our own endzone.

Archived