Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Yessir. And if anyone thinks a backup QB is not worth a high second in this years draft is simply wrong. I would possibly argue if RG3 was in his last 1-2 years of his career like Brady. Thus, mallet has more value to NE. But we couldn't blink an eye if high second came our way

did anyone else hear herm Edwards on sportscenter this morning. he said the browns should consider using the 4th overall selection on a quarterback or look into trading it to the redskins to try to acquire cousins..

ok I just re-watched it and he was reffering to there second pick in the first round 26th... Is his value high enough to somehow get that pick?

Wouldn't give up Cousins to only to move up 8 slots. Give Cleveland Cousins, #34 , # 66. Select Mathews or Robinson?

Idk man if Griffin doesn't play well this season I'd say its over and start considering another road. Imo there are no excuses for griff this time. Way too many weps on O and a full off season, 100% healthy, no knee brace etc etc

I think he will do well. No excuses this time.

I don't think we can really tell much until we get an OL that allows us to function as an offense, to run our plays more often without immediate disruption, to help Griffin execute with more confidence and remain healthier.  Can't imagine not understanding this factor.

In my opinion Cousins will be a serviceable to good NFL starter when all is said and done. 

I do like him and would like him to remain a Redskin.  However if the chips fall right, I am on board with Watkins being drafted by the browns, then going BPA in the 2nd.  Someone who they have a first round grade on falls to their pick, and with Shanny JR on board, there's your link to Cousins and their 3rd round pick goes for Cousins

Cousins can be a solid starter given the right situation. Not pro bowl or anything, but could possibly be a starter for 3-5 years on a team until they want to draft a game changer.

I like Cousins on the Skins, but it would be beneficial to trade him given our current roster needs. If we could trade him and a 6th for the Browns 2nd, then trade that back for multiple mid-draft picks, that would be best for our team.

Our best chance for a surefire starter is with our 2nd round pick. In a financial sense, our strategy should be to draft a starter in the most expensive positions; QB(not a need so no-go), OL(needed), DL(need), etc. so that we get them for a 4-year rookie contract on the cheap. The later picks should be targeted for cheap depth.  There are plenty of mid-tier players in this draft that we can get who will be special teams starters and rotational players. If one or two develop into starters, wonderful. But we need to fill this team with cheap, young talent.

If we aren't thinking about money for the next few years, then trade cousins and late roudn pick for the 2nd, and draft BPA at both picks.

http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=17901

Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine tipped his hand earlier this week to the Browns' direction with their first choice, which would fuel even more speculation that they could be in hard on Cousins.

Two sources who are not directly involved but have connections both said that a higher round pick this year and possibly even a late first round pick is what they were hearing on the Cousins-Browns front.

The Browns have selections at # 4 and # 26 in the first round, # 35 in the 2nd, # 71 and # 83 in the third, two fourth round selections and and pick in each of the final three rounds.

Needless to say they have plenty of ammunition to wheel and deal. Nobody wants to give up picks, but nobody keeps all of their draft picks on the roster.

As for the theory that the Browns love incumbent Brian Hoyer...remember, that was with a previous coaching staff and regime. There is no guarantee in any way that Hoyer, who is coming off of a torn ACL, is Kyle Shanahan's guy for the future.

The Browns were in need of filling out their quarterback roster so they signed Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen on Thursday. Does one of those guys have a shot? Yes. Both? No. Remember, every team needs camp arms for OTA's and pre-season.

Again, the prevailing theory is that the Browns will select a quarterback with one of their premium picks. I would say this...Isn't trading a high 2nd round pick (# 35) for a gunslinger you absolutely know and trust better than spending that same pick on a quarterback that you are not sure of, and have not worked with on a daily basis before?

The answer is easy in my opinion. It's a no-brainer. I put it as an over 50% possibility that the Redskins would trade Cousins by the end of next weekend on ESPN 980 Thursday afternoon. What say you??

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Browns are gonna do.

I wonder how Kyle will do without Mike Shanahan.

I've always wondered whose idea it was to implement read-option and pistol.

I've always thought it was Mike's idea and Kyle's implementation.

I am curious to see what Kyle's offense will be without Mike?

Will Kyle return to a pass focused playcaller?

Will Kyle continue to run read-option and pistol?

Then I wonder if Mike Pettine/Ray Farmer hired Kyle because of the read-option/pistol?

It seems someone with Browns is really intrigued by read-option.

I doubt Kyle already has enough clout to influence personnel decisions on QBs.

But they brought in 2 QBs that fit the read-option/pistol Vince Young (who knows Kyle Shanahan yet wasn't invited to training 3 years ago when the Skins ahd bumpkis at QB) and Tyler Thigpen who introduced the Pistol formation to NFL several years ago.

I guess some of these answers I'll never be in a position to know but I have my theories.

My thought is that Pettine and Ray Farmer like the read-option/pistol stuff and they hired Kyle to install that offense. Ground and pound, pistol read option on offense to complement a match-up pressure 34 defense.

But, is Kyle really commited to the read-option?

I'm actually rooting for Kyle, well not Kyle so much as rooting for the read-option/pistol.

I think if the Browns staff is serious about read-option their offense can transform quickly.

It will be telling what the Browns do at the QB and how much influence Kyle has in the organization.

Well if Cousins was going to get traded. The Brown's would make since. Hell there probably the only team that would give up a high pick for Cousins.

If by "high pick", you mean '2nd round'. There's not a chance in hell of that happening.

Btw, there is no apostrophe in Browns. And it's "sense", not "since". And "they're", not "there".

If by "high pick", you mean '2nd round'. There's not a chance in hell of that happening.

Btw, there is no apostrophe in Browns. And it's "sense", not "since". And "they're", not "there".

If you use "if", then you use "then."

"Hell" is a proper noun in your first sentence, so it should be capitalized.

Capitalize all letters in an acronym.

Since you are referring to it as a specific word, you should have put "Browns" in quotes (literally as I did there).

Put sentence-ending punctuation inside of the quotation marks regardless of whether or not it is part of what you are quoting.

Don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

Most importantly:  Don't be a d-bag when it comes to grammar when your own grammar is lacking.

If you use "if", then you use "then."

"Hell" is a proper noun in your first sentence, so it should be capitalized.

Capitalize all letters in an acronym.

Since you are referring to it as a specific word, you should have put "Browns" in quotes (literally as I did there).

Put sentence-ending punctuation inside of the quotation marks regardless of whether or not it is part of what you are quoting.

Don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

Most importantly: Don't be a d-bag when it comes to grammar when your own grammar is lacking.

Actually, you're wrong on a couple of those points. But, whatever. Just can't stand a lot of sloppy grammar. I guess we can agree to disagree.

My main point, anyway, was that we aren't getting a 2nd for Cousins. People that think that should lay off the paint chips. :)

It's likely that Bridgewater will fall to the second. Carr could be there. So will Garopolo, or however you spell that guy's name. QB-needy teams aren't going to give up a high pick for Cousins (and I like Cousins).

Well if Cousins was going to get traded. The Brown's would make since. Hell there probably the only team that would give up a high pick for Cousins.

The Browns are the most likely but there are many QB needy teams that might bite in a draft with no sure QB bets.

I posted this in a different thread, but I think it's relevant:

Teams that need QBs and their 1st round draft pick:

Houston: 1st 
Jacksonville: 3rd 
Browns: 4th
Raiders 5th
Vikings 8th

Those are the QB needy teams. Other teams might be interested in drafting a QB as a backup, but they probably wouldn't trade a pick  for a backup. Primarily because due to the CBA, it's better to draft a guy, and own his rights for 3-4 years at a lower cost than a 3rd year guy in Cousins. 

So, there appears to be a consensus 1-3 QBs who most would think would have a higher ceiling than Cousins: Manzel, Bordles and Bridgewater. So, let's assume for a minute that of the 5 teams listed above, 3 of them will land one of those three guys at some point or another in the draft, either by using their first or second round pick.  I don't think there's a chance in hell (should that be capitalized?) that Cousins gets traded until those three guys are off the board. 

That leaves 2 teams out in the cold. So, they have to ask themselves, if they need a starting QB day 1, would Cousins be better than the guys they could draft after the top 3 guys are off the board. Do they need to spend a second or third round pick on the second tier of QBs, or could they use that pick on another position, and trade for Cousins.  

I have no idea which of the 5 teams will be left out in the cold. But it could be that they decide that it would be more cost-effective to use their first 3 picks on position players, and trade a 4th to get their starting QB. And at that cost, even if Cousins is "ok" for 2 years, they've probably gotten a return on that investment.

I actually think that the Browns are the least likely team to trade for Cousins, because they have picks 4, 25 and 36.  Somewhere in those three picks, they can probably grab one of the top 3 guys.  

Here's what I see happening:

1. Texans, Jags and Browns at #3 will all pass on QBs. There are other, better players at the top of the draft than the QBs, and they will try and solve the QB in a different way.

2. That puts the first QB possibly going off the board at #5 to the Raiders, or #8 to the Vikings.  

I don't think the Raiders will spend #5 on a QB when they just picked up Matt Schaub, even though they probably should. My guess is that they'll think they can get something out of Shaub for the short term, and they would want to use #5 elsewhere. 

That means that the first QB picked (minus trades) would be #8 to the Vikings, who could take anybody they wanted.  

The next QB needy team to pick is the Browns again at #25.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pick a QB at that spot, because it would be a good value.  I could see Jax or the Raiders trading up in front of the Browns to pick up a QB.  But I don't see both of them doing that, so I am predicting that by pick 25, all three "top flight" QBs will be gone.  I think they will go to the Vikings, Jacksonville and Browns. 

That leaves the Texans and Raiders as the two teams looking for QBs.  

The Texans have the #1 pick in every round, so they could have their pick of any of the remainders, or they could trade with the 'Skins for Cousins, probably their 4th round pick, and use rounds 2 and 3 for additional players.  

I don't see the Raiders trading with the 'Skins for Cousins, because I'm not sure they would see Cousins as any better than Shaub.  

The ideal scenario for the 'Skins is if the top 3 QBs fall in picks #3 (Jags), #5 (Raides) and #8 (Vikings.)  That leaves 2 teams with no starting QB on the roster without a QB in the Texans and Browns.  In that scenario, I could see either team trying to trade for Cousins.

The second best case scenario is that an unexpected team trades up or selects one of the top 3 guys, which puts more pressure on the 5 need teams to solve their need through a trade to get Cousins.  Possibilities there would be Arizona getting a future replacement for Palmer, the Titans giving up on Locker earlier than expected, or the Cowboys finding a way to select Manzel because that would be really good for them on the business side. (Though, if they trade Tony Romo, that would be bad for the 'Skins.)

Anyway, we'll see.  I think Cousins' value is probably 3rd or 4th round, in a vacuum. But the draft isn't a vacuum.  It's going to depend on what team doesn't get one of the top 3 guys, and assumes that they're not in love with one of the other guys.  

7486.jpg

An NFL executive told ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim that Kirk Cousins "at most" is worth a third-round pick.

Speculation of a Cousins-to-Cleveland trade hasn't gone away deep into the pre-draft process, and may continue into Thursday based on Cousins' history with new Browns OC Kyle Shanahan. The most likely outcome remains Cousins toting the clipboard for at least one more year behind Robert Griffin III in D.C. There are more and more signs pointing to the Browns drafting a quarterback high.

IMO if Browns wait until pick 26 to get a QB they're going to miss on the top 3, Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater. Every draft for a while now a couple teams draft QB early when the top class is small and others panic and there's an earlier run than mocks predicted. This caused Tannehill and Weeden to go early, and before that Gabbert and Locker. Rodgers was the last time, IIRC, that a quality QB dropped far in a small QB class.

Last year the QB class was awful so there weren't any runs on them, so teams could be even more desperate this year. The overall class isn't great though, which does make Cousins a decent alternative. Carr has rising draft stock, but I think part of that is because the top 3 all have their warts. I could see Kyle Shanahan convincing the Browns to pass on Carr late 1st and try and snag Cousins with a 3rd, if they haven't already talked to us, and us saying we want that 26th pick, and then both sides settling on 36, or give up 26 for Cousins and our 3rd. 

I could also see a couple other teams willing to give up a 2nd or high 3rd for Cousins simply because this QB class is weak and the top 3 will likely be gone quickly at the top from teams desperate to land a QB. Under normal circumstances Cousins likely is worth a 3rd, but draft time circumstances can increase value easily.

Archived