Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Yeah I think this may give us a decent idea of what Cousins would fetch. Cousins looked better than Pryor but not by a ton; their stat lines aren't too far apart either. I'd say this puts Cousins squarely in the 4th or 5th round range. If we got offered a 3rd I'd definitely take it. 

Sorry. But Cousins is a better QB than Pryor. And people should not overlook the fact that KC has 2 years remaining on his deal and Pryor has 1. That is a big difference no matter how you slice it.

Why would you ever believe we'll stay out of the FA market? We're not ever going to be the Packers or Ravens in that regard, raking in the compensatory picks.

Maybe you should take a look at the landscape ahead for us in 2016-2017. Trent, RGIII, Morris, Garcon, Kerrigan are going to take a nice chunk of change to resign. Then, you have to assume out of the other 2016 FA we are going to let some guys walk that might have shown something to earn a decent contract elsewhere (Cousins, Keenan Robinson, Tracy Porter, Leribeus, Gettis, Minnifield, Crawford).

I dont think I am being outlandish in the least by assuming that KC will get us a 5th, or at least contributing in the calculation (him signing elsehwere and countering our signing of a FA) to get us a 4th/5th.

So the question poised to you is this... Would you 'Gladly' take a 5th for KC, or keep him an extra year (at 700k) and have a strong back up for another year and let him walk for a 5th the next year...I dont think the decision is that difficult.

What makes Cousins better? 

Fair enough...I could see looking at the stats doesn't immediately scream that KC is better...but ill give my explanation.

- Pryor was looked at as the potential starter from Day 1 and was given every opportunity to take the reins and have a Playbook tailored to his skillset. Cousins did not.

- Pryor has exceptional physical gifts which make him dangerous at first...but also predictable in time due to his limited QB acumen. The more he plays, the more the league figures him out. (Example. Look at his game against SD in 2012 and his first 4 of 2013. Then compare that to his last 6-7 games of 2013.)

- Also add in the fact that the Raiders clearly were not impressed with him and moved him for peanuts to make way for Matt Schaub(yeah..that Matt Schaub).

Apparently. I'm pretty sure half the board was expecting that.

If the Skins get offered anything higher than a 5th, they should take it and run.

The Redskins should just keep Cousins as insurance instead of just taking a pick to get a pick.

Sorry. But Cousins is a better QB than Pryor. And people should not overlook the fact that KC has 2 years remaining on his deal and Pryor has 1. That is a big difference no matter how you slice it.

As per my post, I said Cousins was better than Pryor. Just not a ton better IMO. That's why I said I would surmise that with Pryor going for a 7th, I could see teams now valuing Cousins as a 4th or 5th. Maybe a 3rd if they watched tape and really liked something they saw. I think the days of teams giving up high round picks for QBs with limited starting experience may be pretty much over. The Flynns and Kolbs of the world have left some nasty tastes in GM's mouths I would think.

Edit: Forgot that Flynn was an FA. Still way overpaid based on small sample size.

Fair enough...I could see looking at the stats doesn't immediately scream that KC is better...but ill give my explanation.

- Pryor was looked at as the potential starter from Day 1 and was given every opportunity to take the reins and have a Playbook tailored to his skillset. Cousins did not.

- Pryor has exceptional physical gifts which make him dangerous at first...but also predictable in time due to his limited QB acumen. The more he plays, the more the league figures him out. (Example. Look at his game against SD in 2012 and his first 4 of 2013. Then compare that to his last 6-7 games of 2013.)

- Also add in the fact that the Raiders clearly were not impressed with him and moved him for peanuts to make way for Matt Schaub(yeah..that Matt Schaub).

I don't think the gap between the two is as big as people are making it seem.  You can make an argument for both guys that one has a higher upside than the other.  Pryor fetched a 7th...Cousins might snag a 5th or 6th.  We just don't know until it happens. 

*IF Cousins is traded, you could make a case for the Skins moving him for peanuts to save a roster spot for Colt McCoy. 

I think too many people are focusing on the round and not the available player.  At this point, its all but certain that any trade will be made on draft day, and will be made imminently with the selection of the team that wants KC.  So if the Browns call just before they are going to pick in the 3rd round, the FO will know who's available and should be all ready to make a decision whether a player still on the Board is worth more than having KC waiting on the sidelines.  I'm not discounting the value of a good backup QB, I just saying its not as important as a player that is involved in each week's gameplan.

The key to get a higher pick is to get two, or more, teams interested.  If only one team is interested, there isn't much incentive in making a fair offer.  There will almost surely be players in round four that could help special teams or situation defenses.  If there are two teams involved, they need to worry about each other, as well as whether the Skins will still be interested in trading.

Yeah I think this may give us a decent idea of what Cousins would fetch. Cousins looked better than Pryor but not by a ton; their stat lines aren't too far apart either. I'd say this puts Cousins squarely in the 4th or 5th round range. If we got offered a 3rd I'd definitely take it. 

Believe Kyle would give up a 3rd for him at Cleveland as they have 2 third round picks.

Pryor just went for a 7th round pick. I think that gives a good indication as to what the league would give up for Cousins.

True, if Cousins was about to be cut. As he's contracted here for a while yet, with no chance of being cut, his value is higher than that.

What makes Cousins better? 

Well the stats for Cousins are better that's one reason. I avoid getting into it with some of you about what your untrained eyes see and what the record shows. That argument doesn't work with me unless you have a resume better then just Extreme skins poster. I know this is likely another instance of Redskins posters under appreciating current Redskins players and I shouldn't even bother but I like banging my head into this wall I guess, anyway the numbers compare like this...

Game 1:

TP: 13 for 28 for 150 yards 2 TD and 1 INT

KC: 26 for 37 for 329 yards 2 TD and 1 INT

Game 2:

TP: 19 for 29 for 217 yards 1 TD and 2 INT

KC: 29 for 45 for 381 yards 3 TD and 2 INT

Game 3:

TP: 15 for 24 for 126 yards with 0 TD's and 0 INT's

KC: 21 for 36  for 197 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT

Game 4:

TP: 19 for 28 for 281 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT

KC: 19 for 49 for 169 yards with 0 TD and 2 INT's

TP has never thrown for 300 passing yards in this league

TP has never thrown for 3 TD passes in a game in this league

Through 4 starts the starting record for both men was 1-3

Judge for yourself.

My editorial...comparing Cousins to Pryor is silly. Cousins will be a good QB in this league and Pryor won't make the Seahawks roster this season. Most everyone knows this unless Pryor would be willing to change positions to take advantage of his speed. If the Redskins throw Cousins away for a draft pick lower then a 2nd then they have made a grave mistake. Cousins has outperformed much better then his 4th round position and this team needs him more then most of you realize.

You realize this team went 3-10 with Griffin as it's starter. Right? He played against some bad teams too. Right? I hate it people say.."well Cousins played against bad defenses" ...lol.   Not saying Cousins should be the starter cause he shouldn't. But let's not go overboard and say the season is lost if Griffin goes down. To me that's ridiculous. Tell that to Brady or Warner. What about noddle armed Todd Collins? Nick Foles coming in for Vick? Josh McCown for Cutler?   We see it all the time where a starter goes down and the back up comes in and in many instances he outplays the incumbent.

Again, it's been well established what Griffins problem was last year. Some people tend to focus on 2013 like it was a normal year for Griffin when in fact it was far from it. Not to mention the well below par defense and special teams. The 3-10 record wasn't just on Griffin. If you think Cousins could come in and win us a superbowl then i guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree. You name a few backups that came in and found success when we both know EVERY YEAR 90% of the backups that come in fail. Plus one of them you named, Todd Collins was coming in for Jason Candle who was an average QB at best.

This team goes as Griffen does.  3-10 last year, PARTIALLY because he wasn't close to being healthy.  Now this year, it's either put up or shut up.  Usually the 3rd year is where you see the type of trajectory your "franchise" QB will be on.  Remember all the doubters of Cam Newton before last season?  I FULLY expect RG3 to be 100x better than what we saw.  There shouldn't be ANY debate as to who the better QB is between him and Cousins, and who gives us the best chance to win week in and week out.  I'll even take a hobbled RG3 over a 100% Kirk Cousins any day of the week.  Cousins is a servicable backup.  That's it.  If some team is dumb enough to offer a 5th round pick for him to potentially start, then Bruce Allen should be all over it.  This fanbase has a tendency to overrate backup QBs.  We saw it w. the Cult of Colt, and to an extent...it's happening w/ Kirk.  Yall gotta chill. 

I wouldn't do it for a 5th, id take my chances with getting something higher next offseason. 4th i would be on the fence. Plus, lets not kid ourselves here, Cousins is a way better prospect than Pryor. Cousins has never had 1st team snaps for an extended period of time while games mattered. Cousins i think could be an above average QB in this league if he was the established #1 for an entire offseason and got the reps and practice. Heck, id want him here if it weren't for Griffin being on the roster.

No, he isn't. The years are the only issue. But that can be a liability as well. Seattle gets a year to figure out if Pryor is worth keeping.

Cousins was the starter for the last three weeks of the season. Kyle Shanahan's playbook was far more tailored to Cousins than it was to a poor passing Griffin.

The NFL figured out Cousins pretty quick.

I don't think anyone was impressed with Cousins at the end of last season.

The Redskins should just keep Cousins as insurance instead of just taking a pick to get a pick.

They need starters and depth more than a back up QB.

Believe Kyle would give up a 3rd for him at Cleveland as they have 2 third round picks.

Kyle isn't the coach. And I don't think even Cleveland is that dumb.

Also, Pryor was about to be cut.  That decreases his value.  The Raiders were in an "anything is better than nothing" mode.  We on the other hand are not about to cut Kirk.  For a team to get him, they need to offer us replacement value or better. 

If Pryor is not practice squad eligible, don't be surprised if he is cut. 

I'm not against trading Kirk for picks, but he's our backup QB, and backup QBs are depth. ;)

If we're starting Cousins for more than one season, we're punting the season.

Cousins is Rex Grossman. He's replaceable by a decent back up. Which you can buy. So if someone comes along and offers you a pick that should end up being a starting guard or linebacker for the next four years, you take it.

Cousins is Rex Grossman. He's replaceable by a decent back up. Which you can buy. So if someone comes along and offers you a pick that should end up being a starting guard or linebacker for the next four years, you take it.

Yeah, but is there really any chance that we get offered a pick that can get us a starter? I know people are saying that the draft is deep this year, but it's rare to find a likely starter as late as a third or fourth round pick.

Like I said, I'd be fine with trading him for a fourth or higher, but unless we can swindle a team, the trade would likely end up being one backup for another.

The more I think about this the more I don't want to move Kirk for less than a 2nd round pick.  You're left holding the bag if Griffin goes down and you have McCoy or Grossman as your backup.  

If the Skins get offered a 2nd rounder this year for Kirk, they take it and draft a late round QB.  It's a new system so it's not like Kirk would have the advantage over some rookie qb in terms of knowledge of the offense.  Kirk started a handful of games, so there'd be a small experience gap but that's it. 

So you call the guy Rex Grossman after 4 starts?  Ok.   btw...in Cousins first two starts has over 700 yards. I'm not saying he should be a starter here, but don't get carried away by calling the guy Rex Grossman.  

So you call the guy Rex Grossman after 4 starts?  Ok.   btw...in Cousins first two starts has over 700 yards. I'm not saying he should be a starter here, but don't get carried away by calling the guy Rex Grossman.  

Rex's problem was that he refused to acknowledge his limitations. He had enough skills to where he could have been Trent Dilfer but he wanted to be Brett Favre.

So? What does that have to do with whether or not he is a good QB? Peyton Manning had 490 yards in his first 2 starts. Tom Brady had 214 yards in his first 2 starts; what a couple of bums. But seriously, that is such a cherry picked and silly stat to try and trot out to say a guy is good or not. 

Again, it's been well established what Griffins problem was last year. Some people tend to focus on 2013 like it was a normal year for Griffin when in fact it was far from it. Not to mention the well below par defense and special teams. The 3-10 record wasn't just on Griffin. If you think Cousins could come in and win us a superbowl then i guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree. You name a few backups that came in and found success when we both know EVERY YEAR 90% of the backups that come in fail. Plus one of them you named, Todd Collins was coming in for Jason Candle who was an average QB at best.

I wouldn't do it for a 5th, id take my chances with getting something higher next offseason. 4th i would be on the fence. Plus, lets not kid ourselves here, Cousins is a way better prospect than Pryor. Cousins has never had 1st team snaps for an extended period of time while games mattered. Cousins i think could be an above average QB in this league if he was the established #1 for an entire offseason and got the reps and practice. Heck, id want him here if it weren't for Griffin being on the roster.

So in other words, when Griffin is 100% healthy he carries the team in 12. But when he's not 100% it's also defense and special teams. lol.  The truth is, we don't know what a "normal year" for Griffin is. 2014 is a big year for him. I'm rooting for the guy,  but I'm also not one of these fans that believes that as Griffin goes,  so goes the Redskins.

Archived