Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Over the years, there are QBs designated as back-ups or practice squad, who could be a good QB.

My personal opinion is Cousins could be one of these guys. There are other 'Tom Bradys' out there, not many, but they do exist.

It sort of reminds me of gardening in ways; a certain flower or plant gets the best treatment, care, fertilizer, etc, and it grows and produces a pretty flower; any plants around it, if lucky, may get a little overspray or run-off, and shine a little as well.

We all know Griffin is the starter, but I would say that if Cousins were given the chance, and I mean more than a few games, with coaching, reps on a daily basis with the first stringers, gameplanning, etc, I believe he would be at least a decent QB, maybe better than that; we just do not know. All of the starting QB assignments go to Griffin, and deservedly so, but other QBs around the league, if given the opportunity and time, could be a starter, Cousins included.

The good thing right now is both Griffin and Cousins both know where they stand and they get along good, so lets not get too over-analytical and focused on stats or W/L records, because they can both step in if needed and the actual team will rally around them, and thats what is needed in this organization. We can put the majority of our eggs in 1 basket, but keep some in another, and Cousins is the other basket.

And yes I haven't had my breakfast yet, so my mind isn't totally awake yet.

Good post above. Which is why game 'stats' and even film on cousins is only part of eval.

We don't know what Kyle saw the last month of the season with KC and first team reps. Maybe they were very excited. Maybe they saw just that.

Which is why nobody on this board can definitively say he's not worth a 2nd. Because we don't know whole story. It's in the eye if the beholder,

It's easy to say he's a fourth on surface eval. But it's going deeper than that. I really think we need to will this team a 2nd. Why? Because its not unrealistic...

Interesting comments by Bruce today...he said they haven't talked to anyone regarding Cousins.  Like I initially thought, he's not going anywhere b/c I don't think anyone will give us anything of value for him.  

Well if a GM says there hasn't been any talks of a trade, then you can bet your house that its 100% truth. 

Ok, now i see the Bucs want a 2nd for Glennon and cosell at NFL films says he is far more advanced than Griffin. That is absolutely hilarious. If Glennon fetches a 2nd round pick than Cousins is worth at least that. Id rather have Cousins than Glennon and then to say Glennon is a better prospect than Griffin and they shouldnt even be in the same conversation. Yeah right in what world. Get a load if this....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346963/article/mike-glennon-could-be-traded-for-secondround-pick

I think the difference in this thread is those who feel KC does have value vs those who don't.

Those who don't are convinced he won't get anything more than late round if at all. Those who do hope he can land 2 or 3 but understand nothing can happen.

It's ok, we know he's not joe Montana. But if any position is reached for by teams it's QB.

Here's to sitting back a willing a 3rd rounder

Ok, now i see the Bucs want a 2nd for Glennon and cosell at NFL films says he is far more advanced than Griffin. That is absolutely hilarious. If Glennon fetches a 2nd round pick than Cousins is worth at least that. Id rather have Cousins than Glennon and then to say Glennon is a better prospect than Griffin and they shouldnt even be in the same conversation. Yeah right in what world. Get a load if this....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346963/article/mike-glennon-could-be-traded-for-secondround-pick

I'm curious why you think Cousins should be worth the same trade compensation as Glennon?

I'm curious why you think Cousins should be worth the same trade compensation as Glennon?

I dont really think Glennon is all that great. Id have Cousins as a 3rd or 4th round value, but no worse than Glennon. If Cousins had an entire offseason as the #1 and played 16 games i think his value would be higher, but he hasnt had that chance. Whats so great about Glennon that he would warrant a 2nd and be not in the same conversation as griffin as a prospect? Am i missing something? Glennon is a backup QB.

Career G GS QBrec Cmp  Att   Cmp%  Yds   TD TD% Int Int%

2013   13 13  4-9-0   247  416  59.4% 2608  19  4.6    9   2.2

83.9 Rate, 200.6 Y/G

I mean thats rather pedestrian stats and i think if cousins had the reps would post the same if not better. It's hard to judge Cousins on those last 3 games when the team was done. He did some good things and he did some bad things but overall i don't put much stock in any of those games. And im one of the more vocal people that wants to trade cousins for a 3rd or 4th if a player we are high on and can contribute now is on the board. But, If Mike Glennon is worth a 2nd so is Cousins.

I dont really think Glennon is all that great. Id have Cousins as a 3rd or 4th round value, but no worse than Glennon. If Cousins had an entire offseason as the #1 and played 16 games i think his value would be higher, but he hasnt had that chance....Glennon is a backup QB.

Career G GS QBrec Cmp  Att   Cmp%  Yds   TD TD% Int Int%

2013   13 13  4-9-0   247  416  59.4% 2608  19  4.6    9   2.2

83.9 Rate, 200.6 Y/G

I mean thats rather pedestrian stats and i think if cousins had the reps would post the same if not better. It's hard to judge Cousins on those last 3 games when the team was done. He did some good things and he did some bad things but overall i don't put much stock in any of those games. And im one of the more vocal people that wants to trade cousins for a 3rd or 4th if a player we are high on and can contribute now is on the board. But, If Mike Glennon is worth a 2nd so is Cousins.

I'm trying to piece together your rationale here. Correct me if I'm wrong but your reasons that Cousins should warrant the same compensation as Glennon are:

o you don't think Glennon is all that great

o IF Cousins was a #1 QB and was treated accordingly his value would be higher

o Glennon is a back-up

o Glennon's stats playing experience and production,while superior to Cousins, are "pedestrian"

o IF Cousins had Glennon's reps Cousins would put up better stats

o You don't put much stock in Cousins performance the last 3 games because its hard to judge Cousins based on last year because the team was "done"

This discussion reminds me of the ~'rating the back-ups' thread last year where I was told that Cousins is better then Foles, for similar reason you mentioned above.

I'm trying to piece together your rationale here. Correct me if I'm wrong but your reasons that Cousins should warrant the same compensation as Glennon are:

o you don't think Glennon is all that great

o IF Cousins was a #1 QB and was treated accordingly his value would be higher

o Glennon is a back-up

o Glennon's stats playing experience and production,while superior to Cousins, are "pedestrian"

o IF Cousins had Glennon's reps Cousins would put up better stats

o You don't put much stock in Cousins performance the last 3 games because its hard to judge Cousins based on last year because the team was "done"

This discussion reminds me of the ~'rating the back-ups' thread last year where I was told that Cousins is better then Foles, for similar reason you mentioned above.

Let me ask you a question, what warrants Glennon being worth a 2nd round pick and not a 3rd or 4th? I don't want to be misunderstood, i don't think Cousins is some world beater. If he had the reps and was treated as the #1, i think he could be an above average QB in the league. But he hasn't had that and why i dont think we could get anything better than a high 3rd or 4th for him. So yes, i think Glennon and Cousins are worth about the same.... a 3rd or 4th round pick. What makes Glennon a 2nd round pick and a vastly superior talent to Robert Griffin III that they aren't even in the same conversation according to an article on NFL.com. Am i missing something?

I'm thinking there's more to the story than McCoy just being a camp arm.  He basically is the same type of QB that Cousins.  I could be way off base on my opinion on saying that McCoy and Cousins are the same but I think Cousins gets traded on day 2 of the draft.  I also think a low round draft pick 6th or lower is spent on a QB or an UDFA is brought in.  JMO.  We shall see.

Let me ask you a question, what warrants Glennon being worth a 2nd round pick and not a 3rd or 4th? I don't want to be misunderstood, i don't think Cousins is some world beater. If he had the reps and was treated as the #1, i think he could be an above average QB in the league. But he hasn't had that and why i dont think we could get anything better than a high 3rd or 4th for him. So yes, i think Glennon and Cousins are worth about the same.... a 3rd or 4th round pick. What makes Glennon a 2nd round pick and a vastly superior talent to Robert Griffin III that they aren't even in the same conversation according to an article on NFL.com. Am i missing something?

I don't know the answers to the questions you're asking. I'm not making those assertions.

I can tell you why I think Glennon is worth more though:

o Glennon is the better overall talent and thus was drafted higher then Cousins

o Glennon has more playing experience

o Glennon has more production

Jay Glazer just reported that the Browns will not draft Johnny Manziel at #4. Maybe that means they're targeting him at #26 or they're looking to trade up using that pick, but I doubt the Browns draft him.

And I think what Bruce said about Kirk is smoke. Of course he's not going to reveal that he's shopping him to the world.

I don't know the answers to the questions you're asking. I'm not making those assertions.

I can tell you why I think Glennon is worth more though:

o Glennon is the better overall talent and thus was drafted higher then Cousins

o Glennon has more playing experience

o Glennon has more production

Fair enough, all points are true. I was just basing my statement on Glennon isn't worth a 2nd, but a 3rd or 4th which most of us would say Cousins is worth. I do think if Cousins had 9 more starts his numbers would be the same or better looking at Glennons individual game stats (glennons stats are padded by a solid 4 game stretch in the middle of the year) but that's just my opinion.

Jay Glazer just reported that the Browns will not draft Johnny Manziel at #4. Maybe that means they're targeting him at #26 or they're looking to trade up using that pick, but I doubt the Browns draft him.

And I think what Bruce said about Kirk is smoke. Of course he's not going to reveal that he's shopping him to the world.

I seriously doubt no one has called about Cousins.

I don't think there is a lot of interest in Kirk. Having him start the last three games of last season diminished his trade value. He played against three of the worst defenses in the league and didn't look good. Say what you will about Kevin Kolb, but he lit up bad defenses which drove up his trade value. I'm not saying Kirk is bad, but what he's shown doesn't warrant a high draft pick. 

Just joining the conversation so I am sure I missed some things, but if your belief is KC is not worth that much, then why in the world would you trade a quality backup for minimal return, with 2 years left on a very reasonable contract?

And tell me; if RG3 goes down, who's stepping in? Get rid of KC...RG3 goes down, season over...please don't respond with Colt McCoy, I just as soon bring Rexy back!

Considering we are only a day away from the draft, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of any GMs mouths right now. It's all smoke and mirrors. I think I'm in the boat where if we trade KC, sweet....we land another player in a deep draft. If we don't, oh well, we have a competent backup. 

That being said, funny things happen in the draft, so you never know what could happen. When players start flying off the board, there are always a few teams that get desperate looking to trade up or land that player they need.

Archived