Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kirk Cousins Open to Being Traded

Smurf85

Kyle would really have to do one hell of a job convincing the Browns that Cousins is definitely a potential franchise QB. You don't give up a 1st round pick for a QB to be a backup so they would have to truly be convinced that he is legit. Given his production in his limited starts I have a feeling they would balk at that. 

^^ I was all for trading down in the 2011 draft when we needed quantity and depth... but this team right now needs game changers. We have enough average to good depth players. We need the guys who instill fear in coordinators, especially on defense, and trading down makes it less likely to grab one, no matter how many people tell me how deep the draft is, lol. I swear if I had a nickel for how many times I hear that every year I'd have lunch for a couple days paid off.

So I'm taking "stand pat and take 2 impact starters" for $500 Alex. :) 

Hey, I'm all for that honestly. Drafting an OT/CB at 26/34 who could come in and start would be superb. Then the 3rd and 4th can be used on "future" holes, which apparently this FO wants to do.

^^ I was all for trading down in the 2011 draft when we needed quantity and depth... but this team right now needs game changers. We have enough average to good depth players. We need the guys who instill fear in coordinators, especially on defense, and trading down makes it less likely to grab one, no matter how many people tell me how deep the draft is, lol. I swear if I had a nickel for how many times I hear that every year I'd have lunch for a couple days paid off.

So I'm taking "stand pat and take 2 impact starters" for $500 Alex. :) 

I think the "trade down" talk gets ratcheted up right about now because there are many who just want more to talk about and tune in for during the draft. :)

The thing is, the Redskins were VERY active in free agency this offseason. I don't really know how many open positions they really have right now.

Also, as you said, sometimes you just have to keep your high round picks and go after the potential impact player rather than trade down and get a bunch of "maybes" and "project players" in the later rounds.

We'll see what the Redskins (and Browns) do starting this Thursday.

Kyle's the guy who has another mans football number tattooed on his leg. Not going there, just saying maybe he secretly had affinity for KC. So maybe he is pushing hard for him. His loyalties run deep.

Something so personal would never get out. Something that only he and KC would share at practice. Something like 'yea man, you're doing that drill/scheme better than anyone here'.

I know it's getting to point of ridiculous, but fact is, we don't know all chemistry between him and KC.

Here's me now willing a 1st rounder....

We really don't have a lot of holes, unless you start talking about releasing some of the guys you brought in on, albeit, one year deals.

Needs:

QB: 0 (unless Cousins is traded)

RB: 0, maybe 1 late round flyer

WR: 0, maybe 1 late round flyer

TE: 1, depending on whether Paul is seen as a legit TE option

OL: 1, likely a RT

DL: 0 - Have a strong core of 7 DL from group of (Baker, Hatcher, Jenkins, Cofield, Bowen, Geathers, Worthington, Nield, Golston)

LB: Kept 9 in 2013, have 9 strong in Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins, Riley, Robinson, Hayward, Jordan, Sharpton

CB: 1 - would mean Minnifield/Biggers likely gone

S: 1? - would mean a release of Gumbs/Merriweather/Rambo most likely

So yeah, reality dictates you really only need 4 guys to fill out the roster, BUT, you have a lot of short-term guys from FA, who could easily be released in favor of a young, future impact guy if you have them.

If we had a roster like Seattle where even our depth was full of studs, I'd say get the impact guys, but I think, long-term, we have some positions where we could easily bump off a 1-year contract guy like a Hayward/Jordan or Geathers or Biggers or Merriweather for a guy we have long-term aspirations for. So if we had 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 as our picks, guys like Geathers, Biggers, et. al could easily be parted with in favor of a 3rd rounder, etc.

Okay I went and found it. It's around the 31 minute mark of Hour 4 today.

Basically Greenberg posed, if you are going to draft someone at #26 if you're Cleveland, why not trade that pick for Cousins. Golic said it's not that simple. Shanahan has to convince Pettine who has to convince the GM. He said that if the team has Cousins graded out ahead of anyone left at 26 and they want a QB, then it would make sense to trade for him. But it's a lot more than "Shanahan liked him in Washington" ... and the team has to A) have Cousins graded as the best QB on their board when they get to #26 ... but also have to be willing to pick a QB at #26. Who's to say they don't go elsewhere at that pick or wait until the 2nd or 3rd to go QB, or take a Qb at the 4th pick. So it's far from a legit rumor. 

Greenberg loves Cousins. He's stated he wanted NYJ to take him a couple years ago and still likes him. They had Cousins on the show yesterday and today they were just discussing the QBs in the draft, so that's probably why it came up. 

Then again, Golic went on to say if you get offered a 2nd round pick if you're Washington you might not take it. He said at that point you're getting into a grey territory where you have to debate whether or not it's worth trading for just a 2nd. So in one token they're saying maybe 26th is too much to give up for him, but then in the next breath talk about how the Redskins might not be wise to trade him for less than a 1st. So ... who knows.

I'd do the Cousins to Cleveland, then Clevelands to 49's trade in a heart beat. Which is exactly why it won't happen ;)

I love the 2nd and 3rd round of this draft, and would rather 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd over 1 in the first right now.

But yeah, not going to happen. In large part because I doubt the Cleveland trade happens. I'd go bonkers for it though, that's for sure.

I'd do the Cousins to Cleveland, then Clevelands to 49's trade in a heart beat. Which is exactly why it won't happen ;)

Pick #26 is worth 700 points ... the Jets hold pick #49 and #80 ... which combined equal 600. Throw in a 4th (86 points for pick 104) and we'd be close.

I do agree that having that many picks gives us versatility to spend on, say, a TE like ASF. 

A draft that went ...

34: Kyle Fuller, CB VT - REPLACES Biggers/Minnifield

49: Joel Bitinio, OT Nevada - Replaces Polumbus/Compton

66: Austin Safarian-Jenkins, TE Washington

80: Terrance Brooks, FS FSU - Replaces Merriweather/Gumbs/Rambo

102: Brandon Thomas, OG Clemson - IR for 2014

104: Aaron Lynch, OLB USF - Replaces Hayward/Jordan/Jackson

129: Brent Urban, DE UVA - replaces Worthington/Geathers/Golston

That would be a stellar first 5 rounds.

*EDIT - Whoops ... just realize you meant 49ers not the 49th pick lol. But the Jets could be a partner too, since they could be looking to trade up for either a WR or TE.

Didn't the Skins apparently float Cousins out there for a 2nd and nobody bit? Now some people are saying that they should demand a first round pick? When a guy like Glennon seems like a solid 2nd round trade? Just doesn't pass the smell test.

I have a better idea. We continue to hear how "DEEP" this draft is. So lets say for the sake of argument that we can trade Kirk for #26 to Cleveland. We will have our pick at #34 and THEN, lets trade next years first for an early 2nd THIS YEAR.  Here's the reasoning for trading next years 1st. I truly believe that we're going to be a playoff team this year (10-6) or better. Depending on how much noise we make in the playoffs, we would be picking in the 20's next year anyway. Why not trade that away for possibly the same talent level this year?   We could potentially walk away with a trio of  Cb Kyle Fuller, OT Morgan Moses (or Joel Bitonio), WR Kelvin Benjamin and still have the rest of the draft to acquire more talent/depth.  Thoughts???

I have a better idea. We continue to hear how "DEEP" this draft is. So lets say for the sake of argument that we can trade Kirk for #26 to Cleveland. We will have our pick at #34 and THEN, lets trade next years first for an early 2nd THIS YEAR.  Here's the reasoning for trading next years 1st. I truly believe that we're going to be a playoff team this year (10-6) or better. Depending on how much noise we make in the playoffs, we would be picking in the 20's next year anyway. Why not trade that away for possibly the same talent level this year?   We could potentially walk away with a trio of  Cb Kyle Fuller, OT Morgan Moses (or Joel Bitonio), WR Kelvin Benjamin and still have the rest of the draft to acquire more talent/depth.  Thoughts???

No way, man. For as deep as they say this draft is, a first round pick is still a first round pick. And there's no way of knowing if this team (or RG3) is closer to the 2012 version or the 2013 version.

Here's one way to get a blue chip RT:

For pick #26, give Cleveland Cousins, this years 4th and 5th rounders, and next years 4th rounder. Wait at #26 and pick among CK or Moses. My fear is that neither will be available at #34. Unless.... we think Bitonio will suffice.?

Adam Shefter on espn980 in about 2 minutes (Cousins, pick 34)

I missed it what did he say?  Just heard Casserly talk about it, he said knowing Allen he would take him at his word and if he really was in the thick of trade action, he would be political about it and answer it differently than he did.

I just don't see it. Again, It JUST takes one team to have Kirk graded above anyone available at the pick they trade, who needs a QB. 

But with the likes of Bridgewater, Carr and Bortles possibly falling to Day 2, I don't think anyone will have Cousins above them. I could be wrong.

I would take Cleveland's #35 in a heartbeat for Cousins ... so #26 would be a HUZZA moment for me.

I missed it what did he say?  Just heard Casserly talk about it, he said knowing Allen he would take him at his word and if he really was in the thick of trade action, he would be political about it and answer it differently than he did.

Nothing substantive at all. Shefty doesn't consider himself a draft expert.

Scott Campbell did reiterate yesterday in the presser just how deep this draft is. He stated that teams are going to be able to place a lot of value in guys they are picking up in the mid-rounds.

We all want value if Cousins is traded, but perhaps that value should be assessed based on the player we walk away from the draft with as opposed to the number attached to the pick we obtain in the first place.

If Cleveland is really going to give up a first rounder for KC, I don't see why that deal wouldn't be done right now.  No point for either side to wait until tomorrow.  It seems unrealistic to me, but Cleveland never fails to impress me with their lack of football acumen in any aspect of the game.  I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gone to all male cheerleading squads.

Archived