Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerry Smith: A Football Life on NFLN, 1/21, 9 pm

hail2skins

Great show last night.  Didn't have time to watch the after show.  I recorded it and will watch it when I get home.  I had NO IDEA that Lombardi's brother Harold was gay.  He was featured in the 2 part Vince series. I like that Jerry's family are still Redskin fans.  Good stuff as always.

Jerry Smith's sister, Bonnie Smith-Gilchrist, featured on the program, is fairly prominent local high school volleyball coach. She was a four year player at the University of Maryland on teams that won three conference championships. As a coach she turned Sherwood High School's volleyball program into a perenniel power.

http://thewarrioronline.com/?p=8403

In the Backstory portion, Calvin Hill impressed me by saying that he was homophobic at first, then, within a week or so, realized how stupid he was being.  I wish more people would find the ability to see through their knee-jerk prejudices about gays and other groups of people who are the victims of discrimination. 

Props to the folks at NFLFilms for such an awesome production. It's hard to believe we still haven't had an openly gay man in any of the big 4 pro sports here in America. Active, not retired. Unfortunately, not much has changed since Jerry Smith left the game nearly 40 years ago. Times are bound to change someday.

In the Backstory portion, Calvin Hill impressed me by saying that he was homophobic at first, then, within a week or so, realized how stupid he was being.  I wish more people would find the ability to see through their knee-jerk prejudices about gays and other groups of people who are the victims of discrimination. 

Agreed. I have to say the interviews themselves weren't that great, but props to Calvin Hill for admitting he was prejudiced and turning it around. 

I think once he got that Cowboys blood out of him, he started to wise up. :) 

Its on right now.  It's interesting because we always hear how the redskins are an intolerant hateful organization especially in the GPM years with integration.  The idea that the redskins were tolerant of homosexuals is pretty impressive for the time and is not inline with that paradigm.   

Its on right now.  It's interesting because we always hear how the redskins are an intolerant hateful organization especially in the GPM years with integration.  The idea that the redskins were tolerant of homosexuals is pretty impressive for the time and is not inline with that paradigm.   

Thanks very much for that heads up. Managed to find a stream for the NFL Network and caught the majority of it. 

Fantastic tribute to the man. Wish I was alive back then to have seen him play live. Looking at those numbers though, I don't understand how he hasn't made the Hall Of Fame. Total legend. 

This was one of the all time episodes.

Mike Richman thinks this gets him in the HOF next year.  And he is FAR passed due for this.

We can't be letting guys that played in the 90's and 2000's in while guys like Jerry Smith are out there with records still on the books.

This is rediculous.

As a kid in the 70s, every Monday after a Skins game, I'd go out and "play" the game again by myself in the front yard.  Running, throwing to myself, tripping myself, etc.  Yes, it was goofy, but I had no one to play with at that time.

My favorite "play" though was acting like Sonny throwing it to Jerry.  I'd toss the ball up to myself, run under it, and make a diving catch.

Great player.  Mr. Clutch in the red zone.

Charley Taylor, another of my all-time favorites, was one of Smith's teammates interviewed on the show.  He's 72 years old. He didn't look well. He seemed so frail I felt concerned about his health. 

I was shocked at seeing Charley myself...he did not well. 

As a kid in the 70s, every Monday after a Skins game, I'd go out and "play" the game again by myself in the front yard.  Running, throwing to myself, tripping myself, etc.  Yes, it was goofy, but I had no one to play with at that time.

My favorite "play" though was acting like Sonny throwing it to Jerry.  I'd toss the ball up to myself, run under it, and make a diving catch.

Great player.  Mr. Clutch in the red zone.

I wasn't the only wierdo who did that?

Because 40-50 years ago being gay in the NFL was probably career suicide. We can't look at everything through 2014 standards and apply it to public opinion or a 1960s/70s NFL locker room. I don't think that comment is worth making an issue of. 

I too was very surprised to hear the ex-teammates all mention that they suspected he might be gay but didn't care much about it. That's either pretty progressive for that point in time or speaks very highly of how much they loved the individual. No offense to the men who played for my favorite team back then, but I'm guessing the latter. 

That episode, to me, spoke volumes about how much people adored Smith. I'm not sure any homosexual player in that era would have been as loved as he was.

It's still career suicide. Kerry Rhodes is out of the NFL. Why? He's one of the better safeties in the league.

I thought the NFL Network did a good program on Jerry Smith and also their follow-up show with the 3 guests was good too.  I remember when Sonny was throwing touchdowns to Jerry Smith, Taylor and MItchell and no team could stop them.  Of course back then our defense was horrible. I felt sorry for our star players on offense because they were so good.  The final scores were always huge and most often we would lose.

This was one of the all time episodes.

Mike Richman thinks this gets him in the HOF next year.  And he is FAR passed due for this.

We can't be letting guys that played in the 90's and 2000's in while guys like Jerry Smith are out there with records still on the books.

This is rediculous.

I recorded this and just got the chance to watch it. This was the same feeling I had after the show. I hope it gets him the push for a well deserved HOF nod. They showed all of the other TE's from the era that were already in and his numbers were as good or better.

When that part came up I made the comment that it was a shame that he was not already in the Hall. My wife made the comment that "it was probably because he was gay. Maybe this will help do it."

I had recorded the show and watched it yesterday.  I remember going to the Gay and Lesbian Marches on Washington and seeing his AIDS Quilt patch.  As a young woman who was trying to be out as a Lesbian, his story really touched me at the time.  He was a great football player and good role model for young players.  The show was very well done and was bittersweet.

Archived