Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

I agree.  No one believes that Dan did this or called the shots, especially when Jason "I hate Dan Snyder" LaCanfora says this is all Shanahan's mess.

Me too.  Especially after it was reported that he would call the defensive plays sometimes.  I'm not even sure why Haslett would want to be here.  He got Zorned by his own HC.

When/where  was it reported Shanahan would call defensive plays?

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 20s

...Redskins inquired through third party about David Shaw.

Interesting.  I wasn't a big fan of this, until I read this from Hog Haven:

"Currently 41 years old. If he were in the NFL today he would be the 4th youngest head coach (Dennis Allen, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCoy).

Illustrious coaching career for a young coach. Shaw has been coaching in various capacities in the college and pro ranks for 19 years. He spent his first two years (1995, 1996) in Western Washington before moving to the NFL in 1997. After 9 years with the EaglesRaiders, and Ravens as either QC, QB, or WR coach, Shaw went back to his alma mater Stanford to be their offensive coordinator in 2007. For the last three years, Shaw has been the head coach at Stanford.

Learned under great coaches before him. Not only did Shaw coach under Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, and Jim Harbaugh, he also played wide receiver for Stanford under Bill Walsh."

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/12/29/5252612/redskins-next-head-coach-bracket-1-art-briles-vs-2-david-shaw

That's quite a lot of mentoring.  Plus, the 49ers games would be EPIC.

True that posted the same thing. Russell also stated that the staff hasn't been fired yet.

Quite frankly there are some people on the staff worth keeping because they're good coaches and it would maintain some continuity and ease the transition:

Bobby Turner

Sean McVay

Forrester

Raheem Morris (maybe) as position coach not DC

Forrester? Our OL Sucks

Ill kill myself if we hire freaking bum Jay Gruden. Zimmer and Lovie are good, but we need something better. BIll O Brien where are you, come to DC.

are you kidding me? Jay Gruden is a genius, have you seen what he did with Andy Dalton and that offense in Cincinnati? Bring Jay Gruden in and RGIII will flourish!!!!

To put this into perspective, Shanahan's win percentage is .375 here.  He ended with the same win percentage as Zorn and Spurrier.  That was enough to convince me that firing him was fine.

Exactly. The weirdest thing for me, in seeing people still defending him is that they're just blindly accepting his leaks as fact while ignoring the very fact that THEY'RE ******* LEAKS!!! FROM HIM, THE HC! The medium is the message folks.

The best part is he has no ******* leg to stand on, he has no equity as a man and a coach and he still gets support against Snyder and RG3? Who are these people? Trolls? Infiltrated rival fans? I don't get it.

Yeah, the report made re: M. Brown claim was that he is likely" (speculation) to be promoted to more control over personell (as Mike previously had),...again, fwiw

That would be spectacular.  I'm tired of hiring coaches who control the player side also.  

For this to work though, I think we have to have either a first time HC, so that might point to no retread.

Summary

First off thanked fans, Dan. players.

Answered his own question.

Are we better off than 4 years ago. Salary Cap hindered him early. Not one cut played full year the next year.

Over first 2 years, team direction was good. 

Into 3rd year, felt good. Hit on RG3 and Alfred and Pierre.  Cap penalty hindered getting defensive players. 

Into 4th year, team lacked depth and speed. 

Into 5th year, we are better off because the cap penalty ended. 

Thanked reporters

Exited Stage Right. 

True that posted the same thing. Russell also stated that the staff hasn't been fired yet.

Quite frankly there are some people on the staff worth keeping because they're good coaches and it would maintain some continuity and ease the transition:

Bobby Turner

Sean McVay

Forrester

Raheem Morris (maybe) as position coach not DC

I actually wouldn't be afraid of Raheem as DC.  A) he won't be saddled with this current crop of players, and B) operating under Haslett's regime, Raheem may have been hamstrung and might run this defense completely differently if he were in charge.  

This hugely disappointing and embarassing season aside, let us not forget that Shanahan allowed us to enter a season with Rex Grossman and John Beck as our top two QBs...and even then he was too inept to suck enough to get us a top two pick.

Now we can start a thread arguing over who was the better QB combo:

Heath Shuler and Gut Frerotte

Rex Grossman and John Beck

Jason Campbell and Todd Collins

Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman

Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell

Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey

yada yada yada....

Archived