Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

I sometimes vented in gameday threads at some of our  "NFL-level real-game/real life play-calling experts" (ego is such a brain killer) who regularly **** on Kyle in service to their bias to protect/defend/deflect when they felt Rg3 taking the heat for some play (they'd deny it's bias--they're "objective" and "fair").

The patterns of who posted what and when were very plain to any one with decent observation skills and at least a semi-clear mind.

REAL football-smart people in the business---not self-appointed message board "experts"--know that neither Mike nor Kyle suffer from lack of expertise and qualification re: pro football acumen and "play calling." But here Kyle was often deemed a "retard."

And Mike can be an egotistical dick (so many are), but efforts to paint him as a so-so coach here by agenda boyz was as relentless as it was often insipid. And I don't "like" MS and didn't like the hire.

We're seeing similar things now, with certain posters really ramping up Jay as "the target" (and he is unproven in the NFL HC role), and it features some of the same posters playing that card back under Kyle/Mike.

Now I don't know if Jay "has it" (and more important, can manifest "it" in DC) or not. But others read like they already have him semi-convicted, whether they admit or not. And they seem to be very "RG3-heavy" posters.

My #1 preference would be Rg3 gets the job back based on merit and he starts to excel. Who wouldn't want that to go that way, whether a Redskins fan or a Redskins employee?  I am willing to believe that the staff still see value in him, and still a potential, and that they haven't thrown in the towel yet. But I think RG3 needs to step up big time, all on his own lonesome if need be, almost no matter what else is an issue, at least at this point in DC. 

Fair points Jumbo, though at the same time, a lot of the frustration with Kyle came from his backing away from the running game after halftime in 2013 and instead pressuring a hobbled, brace-wearing QB who was getting ground into dust by a cardboard cutout offensive line to carry the half with his arm, which always resulted in miserable failure. (I don't know if the opinion was that he used the same strategy in 2012. Winning kept everyone happy then, so nobody complained.) With Kyle succeeding in Cleveland and us still stuck in the mud, people are starting to look back at him with rose-colored glasses.

Whether those opinions that it was his fault or not is something I won't comment on; I'm not feeling very 'expert' about it today. But I wouldn't trash those people who agreed that the inexplicable strategies that ended up with a 3-13 record were a failure. Something was being done wrong, and as much blame as RG3 may deserve for it, the entire team sucked, which points at both coaches and players.

Back at ya, Nicky :) ---your cautions are partly why I used (perhaps ineffectively) terms to qualify a certain type of critic, as opposed to criticism of play-calling in general (though I do think it provides more ego-infected/bias-susceptible pitfalls then most topics).

One of my biggest gripes is there's so much we can't know that is goes on during a play in the majority of these plays---particularly in real time-- that no matter how much madden you've played at home or how smart you think you are about football (unless you actually do have such a NFL job) you're inevitably reaching most of the time. And "reaching" is a welcoming vehicle for bias and emotional reactivity to hitch a ride.

I can't count the times over the years in such cases where rational explanations (not excuses, and whether they turned out to work or not) for  things that seemed "wtf" to posters during those threads (going back a decade) were presented later only to be met with crickets.

It's all part of the landscape.

And I have never been burdened by having the definitive take on anything pro-football wise, as far as I know.  :lol:

Right on Hangman!

Danny turns his media minions on a coach, the Skins nation will jump on board!

Where are all the great coaches since Danny took over the team? If they existed...they were ground up by Danny's personnel decisions... How can you judge a coach without talent?

Lousy O-lines since the day Danny took over, I don't care who the coach is, you can't run a balanced offense, if you cannot block!!!

As critical as I've been of shanahan in this thread, I have no problem saying so when I'm wrong. I was all in on mike when he was hired, defended him for three and a half years. After stepping back,it appears I was wrong about him, as I have been about many things when it comes to the redskins.

I don't know who the media minions are or who is defending Dan Snyder, but I do know that mike has been in charge of personnel during the better part of the last 14 years, during which his teams (denver and here) have been mediocre overall. hes the one who has been shopping for the groceries. he's had final say. 

So I'm not sure I understand your criticism of our talent, or lack thereof.

Archived