Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

meddling or not, his defenses were consistently awful, with or without shannys help.

flat out bad.. with zero improvement anywhere.. in fact i'd wager that many players regressed under the dc's watch.

I never understood how we could change WR coaches three times but this guy stuck around even though the head coach didn't trust him.

Of course the assumption is Shanahans meddling made the defense worse.  What if they improved it?  May I refer you to the 5 years PRIOR to Haslett joining the Skins.  In those 5 years his defense was ranked, in points allowed, 27th, 28th, 28th, 31st, and 31st.  Im not making that up, nor am I skipping years.

This is just false. These are the defensive rankings based on points per game allowed-

2009- 15

2008- 6

2007-11

2006- 27

Since Haslett got here-

2010- 21

2011- 21

2012- 22

2013- 30

So we have gotten much worse since he has gotten here, whether or not Shanahan was meddling.

Source- NFL.com

OK Peregrine... did you just make those up?  

In trying to rationalize Haslet retained, I heard Mike was quick to point out the cap penalty specifically hurt the defense. I am not sure how or why, but he said it.

It's been easy to see the holes which few mention when they discuss how much they hate Haslet. 

The nose has been broken all along. Has any fan here not seen London very slowed over the past 2 years? Some awkwardly complained but we toughed it out. The discussion at S has not ended since the passing. Its been a turnstile of complaints over the past 4 years, Landry, Hall Madieu Reed Wilson Biggers Orakpo....  is a quick list without even thinking.  

Clearly some of that is how they were used, but complaints about the players were very common as we all know.  

It clearly is difficult to grade coordinators on anything more than the basic stats.... assuming what we post here is accurate  ;)

IMO? I have am a firm believer in the best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior. That being said... I truly feel that Dan has burned too many bridges with too many coaches. Our coaches here since DAn bought the team,outside of Spurrier and Zorn are all HOF caliber. Haslette is "plan B" if no one wants to take the job. The franchise is a mess, in cap hell, and has no draft picks. Would you want to coach here?

Cap hell? Wtf? We aren't the Cowboys projected at 40 million over the cal, we are actually the opposite. This team is what the Eagles, KC, and other teams were a season ago... A new staff and a new belief away from winning again. A good young QB, RB, WR, LT and TE on one side if the ball and Kerrigan and Orakpo to build a D around. Little to no evidence the owner had meddled the last four years... The perception of this franchise can change again in a hurry with the right hire.

This is just false. These are the defensive rankings based on points per game allowed-

2009- 15

2008- 6

2007-11

2006- 27

No, its not false, and Haslett wasnt coaching in the nfl in 2009.  It would perhaps be good to READ first before you go ahead and declare something false.  I said "HIS" defense.  That referred to Hasletts defense, in St Louis, and prior to that in new Orleans, not to the prior 5 years of the Redskins. Oy.

The big concern here is this. IF Jay Gruden is hired as HC MIGHT he retain Haslett as DC. Jay Gruden was Haslett's OC when Haslett was the HC of the UFL's Florida Tuskers. Is it possible that Haslett is being retained because Skin's brass already know or hope they can hire Jay Gruden as the Redskins next HC. Just a thought. I like everyone else BELIEVE that a change must occur with our defense. It has been in shambles since Haslett has taken over. IMO, we need to totally clean house as far as defensive coaches are concerned and rebuild.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238867/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-linked-cleveland-browns-coaching-opening

CLEVELAND -- Oklahoma Sooners coach Bob Stoops has so far resisted the temptation to jump to the NFL. Maybe it's time, and maybe it's with the Cleveland Browns.

Stoops, fresh off the Sooners' stunning upset of Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, did little to quell rumors he may have the inside track to Cleveland's coaching vacancy.

While making the media rounds Friday, Stoops was asked about any connection to Cleveland, and the Youngstown, Ohio, native was coy with his responses.

Of course the assumption is Shanahans meddling made the defense worse.  What if they improved it?  May I refer you to the 5 years PRIOR to Haslett joining the Skins.  In those 5 years his defense was ranked, in points allowed, 27th, 28th, 28th, 31st, and 31st.  Im not making that up, nor am I skipping years.

I'm aware that historically Haslett's defenses haven't been good. 

But in the case of the defenses in D.C., I don't know how much of it is a result of his incompetence or Shanny's interfering.

We'll probably never know for sure.

The big concern here is this. IF Jay Gruden is hired as HC MIGHT he retain Haslett as DC. Jay Gruden was Haslett's OC when Haslett was the HC of the UFL's Florida Tuskers. Is it possible that Haslett is being retained because Skin's brass already know or hope they can hire Jay Gruden as the Redskins next HC. Just a thought. I like everyone else BELIEVE that a change must occur with our defense. It has been in shambles since Haslett has taken over. IMO, we need to totally clean house as far as defensive coaches are concerned and rebuild.

No chance. The only reason Haslett was retained was because they needed a senior staff member to transition the team into the offseason and he was both trustworthy (i.e. Not a Shanahan guy) and under contract. If he plays any role on this team in the near future he might be demoted to LB coach which is his strong suit. Personally I don't think Haslett will be here more than 48hours after the next head coach is named.

• 10 months later...

He kept a clearly injured RG3 in a game and for that I will never forgive him.

Whether it was done because he wanted to win above all or because he wanted to ruin RG3, he put his own ego in front of the team he was guiding.

Mike Shanahan only cares about Mike Shanahan. When last year spiraled out of control he did everything he could to preserve the legacy of Mike Shanahan.

It was stupid but it wasn't because he wanted to ruin Robert.

Note to certain posters: nobody is out to ruin Robert.

Edit: and I agree that Mike only cares about Mike. The way things went down is an indictment on Robert though. If Mike though that Griffin was a franchise QB who could move him off the hall of fame bubble, he wouldn't have cared how many turkey dinners he ate at Dan's house.

"I packed up my office before the game Griffin got hurt in because the owner is meddling" sounds a lot better than "I'm getting myself off this sinking ship because the QB I used 4 high picks on is a bust."

Whether it was done because he wanted to win above all or because he wanted to ruin RG3, he put his own ego in front of the team he was guiding.

Mike Shanahan only cares about Mike Shanahan. When last year spiraled out of control he did everything he could to preserve the legacy of Mike Shanahan.

OR he listened to his QB assure him he could function (Yes he made a mistake in not pulling RG and putting in Cousins- It MIGHT have led to a Super Bowl) AND PROTECTED Himself from in a No win Scenario...If you are being LYNCHED...you wouldn't fight back?

It was stupid but it wasn't because he wanted to ruin Robert.

Note to certain posters: nobody is out to ruin Robert.

Edit: and I agree that Mike only cares about Mike. The way things went down is an indictment on Robert though. If Mike though that Griffin was a franchise QB who could move him off the hall of fame bubble, he wouldn't have cared how many turkey dinners he ate at Dan's house.

"I packed up my office before the game Griffin got hurt in because the owner is meddling" sounds a lot better than "I'm getting myself off this sinking ship because the QB I used 4 high picks on is a bust."

sure he would.  Mike is a control freak.  A guy whole is buddies with the owner is beyond his control

I've felt Shanny checked while the Skins were winning.  He doesn't know his team well enough to know they could pull off that 7 win run?  He's sure they're in evaluation mode?

No, he really wouldn't have quit if he felt like he had his franchise QB. All he cared about was his legacy. If Robert was going to win him games, he'd have done everything he could to stick around.

he coached one more year with one left on his contract.  If he thought he had a franchise QB he could have protected him more the next season.  And frankly I felt that the Shanahans did a horrible job last year, not maximizing anyone's talents.  We had three wins last year, the same number as we did the year before until Griffin put the team on his back

Mike,

Let me be the 1st to say..YOU and KYLE were RIGHT! Hope to see you back coaching. Your reputation is intact!

Allot of ES'ers *should* apologize, but they won't  :rolleyes:  :D

Why should we apologize to the guy who brought Hazlett here in the first place?

Should we also apologize to Dan Snyder for being critical of Vinny Cerrato now that more fans see that Allen isn't the answer either?

Mike,

Let me be the 1st to say..YOU and KYLE were RIGHT! Hope to see you back coaching. Your reputation is intact!

Allot of ES'ers *should* apologize, but they won't  :rolleyes:  :D

Are you for real?  Right about what?  He was 24-40 in 4 yrs. The last was 3-13. He left the franchise QB in a game where he was clearly injured. He is a long time HC, The QB is a ROOKIE!!  Of course he wants to go back in!  He would play in a cast!   It's the coaches responsibility to make that call!   Not listen to a 23 year old kid!  

Also, he left with the 31st ranked D and the worst STs in the history of the NFL!!!  And in case you missed it, he was 24 and 40 in 4 season THE LAST WAS 3-13!!!!   He got fired because he failed! 

This makes 3 cities he has been run out of!  So you were right about one thing. His reputation as an asshole is perfectly intact!!  

OR he listened to his QB assure him he could function (Yes he made a mistake in not pulling RG and putting in Cousins- It MIGHT have led to a Super Bowl) AND PROTECTED Himself from in a No win Scenario...If you are being LYNCHED...you wouldn't fight back?

I would have been more disappointed in a QB who didn't want to go back in. If Shanahan wasn't observant enough to see RG3 struggling and opted to go with what RG3 told him, then he didn't leave soon enough.

That game was a metaphor for the entire RG3 tenure.

RG3 kept the fact that he re injured himself quiet. He hid it from the coach and paid the price. Then he claimed he was ready and "all in for week one" when he wasn't even close. Bla, bla, bla...

RG3 kept the fact that he re injured himself quiet. He hid it from the coach and paid the price. Then he claimed he was ready and "all in for week one" when he wasn't even close. Bla, bla, bla...

Griffin is a player, all players hide injuries. Ask any former player and they all tell you that. Astronauts on the space station could see that Griffin was hurt and hobbled and needed to come out of the game. Its on the coach to pull him out.

Oh and he made a commercial, God forbid.

We ran him out of town for being the problem.

Now we are going to run RG3 for being the problem.

In 2-3 years we will run Gruden out for being the problem.

Good times!

Somebody made a good point, if Griffin goes, Bruce Allen's wack ass needs to GTFO too

I honestly don't know if I can follow this team if Bruce Allen keeps his job. He has failed across the board. 

Archived