Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

It's absolutely amazing to me how happy some of you guys are that we're about to start down another coaching selection process and everything that goes with it while absolving Synder.

If you believe for one second that Mike Shanahan has that much distain, and built up frustration without being railed by Daniel Synder and RG3 then I want some of what you're smoking. It's very clear to me that RG3 and Synder are the ones to blame for this debicle and Shanhan just didnt bend over and take it. This year is on their shoulders.

I'm with you on this. 8 coaches in 15 seasons. Maybe the coaches aren't the problem.

You can't honestly sit here and tell us 3 years ago when he was hired that you didn't have at least SOME optimism. Cerrato was fired, and Snyder was stepping away from making any football decisions for the FIRST TIME.

I almost forgot Dan Snyder owned the team then, now I remember. Wish we could fire him.

We will all celebrate again in 2-3 years once the next HC is run out of town.... endless cycle of suck.. and if its Art Briles it will be 1 year.

Afraid so. The pattern is clear, and there has been only one constant through the years of turmoil, drama, and embarrassment. Jack Kent Cooke must be rolling in his grave.

Hmmm. Could they be locking the media inside because they have important people (possible new HC, etc) coming in that they don't want them to get wind of?

Or maybe they're trying to keep them locked inside so they don't bug the **** out of any of the staff who just got canned???

I'm thinking the latter.  As much as the staff has failed, I don't think it was from lack of effort and they probably just want to pack their crap and get out undisturbed.

Redskins officials say the "lockdown" is a security issue.

I wonder if one of the recently fired guys left angry and threatened retaliation?

I can't speak for the Redskins, but it's fairly standard procedure to have security around when there are mass firings going on just in the event that someone might say or do something.

His final statement is rife with the arrogance and unapologetic denial that his entire tenure has proved to be. Did not once hear that, " It was a mistake when I...........( whatever )". So many things would fit there and yet there wasn't not one he could even think to insert.

What a narcissistic megalomaniac, we are so better off already. Please Dan, Hire a accomplished GM first thing and let him and Bruce Allen hash out the selection of the HC. Please, no more "Complete control freak has beens", that only steal your money and your fans hope.

Interesting.  I wasn't a big fan of this, until I read this from Hog Haven:

"Currently 41 years old. If he were in the NFL today he would be the 4th youngest head coach (Dennis Allen, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCoy).

Illustrious coaching career for a young coach. Shaw has been coaching in various capacities in the college and pro ranks for 19 years. He spent his first two years (1995, 1996) in Western Washington before moving to the NFL in 1997. After 9 years with the EaglesRaiders, and Ravens as either QC, QB, or WR coach, Shaw went back to his alma mater Stanford to be their offensive coordinator in 2007. For the last three years, Shaw has been the head coach at Stanford.

Learned under great coaches before him. Not only did Shaw coach under Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, and Jim Harbaugh, he also played wide receiver for Stanford under Bill Walsh."

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/12/29/5252612/redskins-next-head-coach-bracket-1-art-briles-vs-2-david-shaw

That's quite a lot of mentoring.  Plus, the 49ers games would be EPIC.

Shaw is my dream pick. No way he leaves Stanford but his resume is what I would be looking for in a head coach. A young successful head coach with NFL experience.  

Mike Shanahan the GM was fired more than Mike the head oach imo.

Other than alfred morris(and most teams have a decent to special nfl rb)in 4 nfl drafts what 2nd day picks have been anything great or even very solid?

The cap penalty was not fair to Mike but what was the excuse for keeping that punter all year? Do the redskins really not have cap room to bring in a rookie punter some young leg eager to earn a paycheck?

Mike found the redskins no GEno Atikins no Richard Sherman no Justin Houston in 4 NFL Drafts.

The only thing about Alfred Morris is, it'll be interesting to see if he's more Clinton Portis and less Rueben Droughns, Olandis Gary, Mike Bell, et al, now that Shanny's gone.  The talk had always been that Shanahan's system makes RBs, not the other way around.  Will he be less effective outside of the ZBS?  Will his inability to be effective in the passing game be a liability under a new regime?  He looks woefully uncomfortable having to catch passes.  Relevant questions, IMO.  

But I love the guy, hope he's around for a long time.  But history is what it is.  

I'm with you on this. 8 coaches in 15 seasons. Maybe the coaches aren't the problem.

Look at the Super Bowl winners in that same period there are an extremely low sampling of the NFL. We have a demand for Super Bowls like few other franchises have, we want to see progress and we have little patience. And rightly so.

Which one of the coaches over that period should we have kept?

Maybe the problem is that there are very few coaches who are alive that are able to put together a Super Bowl contender.

Might I remind you that Dan as per Charley Casserly and numerous credible sources : "Mike Shanahan had complete control over the organization, drafts, players, aquisitions, etc." " 40 losses is unacceptable for anyone".

Dan didn't make the soup, he only bought the ingredients and hired the chef, so if the soup tastes like crap blame the chef.

Afraid so. The pattern is clear, and there has been only one constant through the years of turmoil, drama, and embarrassment. Jack Kent Cooke must be rolling in his grave.

I hope he's not rolling around too much because quite frankly the period of suck began with him when he hired Richie Pettibone and Norval Turner.

Perhaps Cooke should have left the team to his son then. He screwed everyone when he allowed it to be put up for sale.

I hope he's not rolling around too much because quite frankly the period of suck began with him when he hired Richie Pettibone and Norval Turner.

Norv had a wining record as coach here. He had a contender in 1999 before Snyder mucked it up by bringing in Jeff George, Brice Smith, Deion Sanders, Steve Spurrier, etc.

Archived