Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

I've just gotten back from walking the dog. 

I wanted to have some peace, clear my head, and savour the coming moment .....

Now I've walked back into that moment and, well, will somebody please take this BIG ASS smile off my face before my face splits!

Robert, I hope you got the chance to say to him 'GTF out of my ball club!'

Worst HC in Washington Redskins history finally getting his comeuppance. 

Call me crass, call me what you will (don't know how anyone could after the way he's destroyed your franchise); but I'm on Cloud 9 right now at the back of the rat!

Thank you Danny. Anyone that truly cares about this ballclub supports you in this. 

Hail. 

Well some of you got what you wished for.

Now the target will be on Griffin's back from this point on; lets see if he does pan out or become another Campbell, because I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does succeed, but to put a player over a coach is asking for drama, and thats exactly what will come now.

I am glad Haslett is gone though, and Burns, so I will celebrate that firing, but Mike was a scapegoat to Griffin's inabilities this season.

The target will be on the next coaches back - if we hire the right guy. If we hire a coach that is not accountable or does not have a firm handle on things, then the players will be in the cross hair and then we will be in trouble. 

I'm not happy we're searching for a new coach again under Snyder, but there is no logical reason to keep Shanny here any longer. He's 24-40 during the 4 years he's been here. He averaged a 6-10 season and that was with a 10-6 season mixed in. Why would you want to keep a coach like that around?

Sure you can say he had to clean up Vinny's mess. But look what Chip Kelly did in Philly. The Eagles were the 2nd worst team in the league last season. Kelly came in and cleaned house and they won the division. The Chargers looked like a mess under Norv last year, McCoy came in and they made the playoffs this year. So I don't buy the he had to clean up a mess so it takes time argument.

Could possibly point to the salary cap penalty. Sort of agree, but we made it to the playoffs last year with the penalty. We also spent $6M on Josh Morgan after the penatly.That money could have gone to the OL or defense instead. Shanny didn't exactly spend what little money we had wisely.

I'm just ready for a fresh start. I was a Shanny supporter until all these leaks and crap started coming out. It's time for a change here.

You cannot keep any part of a staff when hiring a new head coach.  Hey guys we have this great HC job in Washington and JIM ZORN is your offensive coordinator. We already hired him for you.  What do you mean no one wants the job?

It's pretty common for teams to keep hold overs in the coaching staff when they make regime changes. It's probably more trouble than anything else to try and build an entire staff from scratch in your first offseason. And some guys deserve to keep their jobs and anyone would want to keep them on their staff.

Per NFL Network Report (Jeff Darlington) and Ian Rapaport:

Allen let the staff know that Shanny was out as well as the staff, but will be meeting with all of the coaches prior to there departure to discuss future/retention of some of them.

Code for let us interview some of you (minorities) so we can hire the coach we've already selected.

This isn't about a player vs. a coach.....this isn't ******* tennis.

It's pro football and in all three phases for four long seasons Mike Shanahan and his staff has been a massive dissapointment.

24-40 record THAT's what this is about, 24-40 PLUS highly damaging media leaks that made his exit the ONLY option.

To put this into perspective, Shanahan's win percentage is .375 here.  He ended with the same win percentage as Zorn and Spurrier.  That was enough to convince me that firing him was fine.

How do we know the mole isn't one of the players?

Maybe, but one swing of the ax at a time! 

The reporters contacted were Mike's preferred. 

Seeing as the vets lined up to support him, it could be a player. If true, I find it comically ironic that someone leaking info making RG3 look bad got the coach they liked, fired. 

applause-o.gif

Per NFL Network Report (Jeff Darlington) and Ian Rapaport:

Allen let the staff know that Shanny was out as well as the staff, but will be meeting with all of the coaches prior to there departure to discuss future/retention of some of them.

True that posted the same thing. Russell also stated that the staff hasn't been fired yet.

Quite frankly there are some people on the staff worth keeping because they're good coaches and it would maintain some continuity and ease the transition:

Bobby Turner

Sean McVay

Forrester

Raheem Morris (maybe) as position coach not DC

This isn't about a player vs. a coach.....this isn't ******* tennis.

It's pro football and in all three phases for four long seasons Mike Shanahan and his staff has been a massive dissapointment.

24-40 record THAT's what this is about, 24-40 PLUS highly damaging media leaks that made his exit the ONLY option.

Actually, it is.  It is like a pimple; you see the head and its ugly, but there's more festering under the head than seen.

Yes, Mike probably deserves to be fired by hiring Haslett and Burns, but Griffin has as much to do with failure as Mike does.

When Mike came here, it was a cluster****; he began cleaning house on the trash, brought in some good pieces, but also brought in some bad.

Letting it go just means I accept that we'll continue to do the same things and expect different results. (You know what definition that is right?)

I'm going to go back to not posting but I won't let it go. This is just the beginning, this is checkmate for RG3 and Synder.. what happens now when RG3 bombs under a new head coach who cant get him to playoff caliber over the next 3 years?

That's right.. back to doing the same things...

What happens?  We'll, we wouldn't re-up Griffin and we'd find a new QB.  What did you see in this staffs tenure, taken in totality, that showed any promise moving forward?  The end of last season had a lot to do with the guy you don't think too much of, and that's just the facts.

Archived