Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Per @MikeJonesWaPo - Mike Shanahan fired; Kyle fired; Haslett retained as of now

Sticksboi05

No he didn't.

The fact you don't know his record here may explain why you don't blame shanny.

Check shannys post elway record while you're at it, cuz it ain't good either.

Maybe that was pat bowlens fault ?

Yeah misspoke on Turner. He had a winning record when he got fired, and was .500 overall except for his first year.

Pretty sure he has the best winning percentage of any coach under Snyder (17-12 in 99-00 when he got the axe mid-season).

Whatever the case, what Snyder did in 2000 is the first in a long series of terrible ownership decisions.

The Snyder apologists on here blow my mind. I wonder how many work for the team. A bunch of mini Larry Michaels.

Honestly, I don't blame them.  I mean, standing at the windows?  Really.  That seems bush league on the media's part.  Like paparazzi.

They were irritating us when we welcomed home the team last night.... kept shoving cameras and lights in our faces, when all we were there for was the team.

"“We are going to take a smart, step-by-step approach to finding the right coach to return the Redskins to where we believe we should be,” General Manager Bruce Allen said in the same statement.  “We will analyze accurately and honestly all of the decisions that were made over the past year.”

We meaning Snyder, here we go again !

I said this awhile back, but my cynical side prompts the thought that Shanny & most of his staff may be more likely to see meaningful NFL success again re: their job category before we do again as a team/fanbase (that's not an endorsement of the regime). The pragmatic/realist side of me is concerned that the cynic is going to be right...again.

Jim Schwartz fired.

Now the Skins have to compete with the Lions, Texans, Buccaneers, Vikings, and Browns. Rumor is that the Raiders are gonna fire their guy too.

I'd put the job ranks in this order:

1. Lions

2. Texans

3. Buccaneers

4. Vikings

5. Redskins

6. Browns

7. Raiders

But arguments can be made for the Skins being the least desirable spot.

Dan better hire a GM quick and let him get to work.

Yeah misspoke on Turner. He had a winning record when he got fired, and was .500 overall except for his first year.

Pretty sure he has the best winning percentage of any coach under Snyder (17-12 in 99-00 when he got the axe mid-season).

Whatever the case, what Snyder did in 2000 is the first in a long series of terrible ownership decisions.

The Snyder apologists on here blow my mind. I wonder how many work for the team. A bunch of mini Larry Michaels.

Norv has proven he's not hc material in two subsequent jobs, both of which he's been fired from.

Over 7 seasons, he had a losing record against every NFC east foe, including Arizona.

He had it coming.

As for the others who were fired, Schotty should not have been. That was dan wanting to meddle. Bad move by him.

Zorn should never have been hired.

I said this awhile back, but my cynical side prompts the thought that Shanny & most of his staff may be more likely to see meaningful NFL success again re: their job category before we do again as a team/fanbase (that's not an endorsement of the regime). The pragmatic/realist side of me is concerned that the cynic is going to be right...again.

I guess we will see if it really was the cap that was the problem.

Knew it was a bad year when we let our Special Teams Coach get away after our 10-6.

We all knew it was coming, but the news has finally broke from Redskins Park that Mike Shanahan has been fired by Dan Snyder and relieved of his duties as coach of the Washington Redskins.

All I can say is, it is about damn time.

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 2m

Mike Shanahan and his staff have been fired.

Only if the trend continues . . .

Spurrier is doing great at SC. Schottenheimer did well in San Diego (14-2!). Gregg Williams won a Super Bowl.

Like I said, maybe the coaches aren't the problem.

So, if I could construct the perfect coach for this franchise, here what he'd need"

(1) Intelligent game planner

(2) Under 50 years old, but with track record of success as NFL assistant or college head coach

(3) Not a retread (former NFL coach)

(4) Discipline oriented, but ability to motivate younger players

(5) Sense of humor (goes into the motivation factor)

(6) Schemes to the talent he has, not the talent he wants but doesn't have. not the talent he believes he will get in the offseason.  Not the talent that some other franchise has....  The best scheme for the players on the roster at that particular time. Keep things on the simple (but not simplistic), so that adjustments can be made without extreme learning curve.

(7) Has confidence to tell Snyder to bug off, without making it a critical issue.

(8) Treats players fairly and equally, regardless of talent (not a jock sniffer).

(9) Respects the media, but does not allow the media to disrespect his staff or players.

Jimbo Fischer maybe?

I guess we will see if it really was the cap that was the problem.

Well, we know shanny wasn't very good in Denver after elway retired.

We know haslett has a history of fielding mediocre defenses.

Kyle had success in Houston but up and down here. Probably has the best chance to succeed if he has good personnel.

Burns is burns.

Mainly, some if us knew shannys record but took a glass half full approach. Maybe he is what his record says he is. A good offensive mind. Not so good at other things, like picking players or coaches.

Oh, no one sane would question the cap hit was a major issue. I submit that the sane and intelligent realize the issues, as usual with this outfit, were spread wide and deep.

Bottom line here is the win/loss record combined with the extensiveness of the problems doesn't justify continuance even given the special adversity of the cap hit.

Even if someone believes (right or wrong) that a combo of cap/Dan/RGEgo does account for "most" of "it" (abysmal results during Shanny's tenure), then there's still no move other than to reboot HC/staff since RG3 & Dan are going nowhere.

Either way...to misquote The Who, "We Will Get Fooled Again."

Charlie Brown is going to kick the football this time. Snyder, also known as Lucy,isn't going to pull the ball away again. Right? Right? Or, is it time for the kool-aid again? So sweet.

I'm glad a few people get it. I feel bad for the delusional souls who think we are going to get better now.

Only if the trend continues . . .

Spurrier is doing great at SC. Schottenheimer did well in San Diego (14-2!). Gregg Williams won a Super Bowl.

Like I said, maybe the coaches aren't the problem.

Ya, but spurrier just wasn't nfl material. I don't know how many people knew that at the time.

Schotty shouldn't have been fired, absolutely.

Williams is an effective dc, but maybe not a hc.

As long as dan stays out if it, we have a chance to be good again. If not, we' ll continue to suck.

He's part way there - now we need the right gm/coach structure and we can be good again.

Archived