Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Apparently, even though Grier seems to have deferred to Flores almost entirely, he wanted formalized control/authority over Grier (the GM) and has also rubbed some players the wrong way with an arrogant attitude. That said, Tom Coughlin won a couple of SBs and had some good Jaguars teams so maybe that's OK.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wonder if Flores gets one of those jobs.  If I had an opening, I’d definitely give him a look.

i kindof hope he ends up in Denver.  Don’t know why, but it seems like a good fit. 

If I was him, my choices would be Chicago, Jax, Denver.  Probably in that order.

7 openings is a good number. I still think there might be one more opening.  Keep an eye in Houston and Seattle. Also, if Dallas loses their playoff game; Jerry may can Mike, so he can keep Kellen Moore.

22 Hot Seat 

Early look at the hot seat for 22.

Commanders- The most critical year in Ron’s tenure will determine if he breaks the Stench of failure or sees his tenure end prematurely.

Lions- Despite their record, the Lions played hard. They need to show they are heading in the right direction with some more wins, in year 2.

Colts - The Colts can’t have a collapse again or Irsay may move on.

Panthers- Ruhle won’t be able to just make staff changes if he fails in year 3. Tepper will expect results; especially if the Panthers get a qb.

Texans- If Texans don’t make a change this year; they will want to see improvement in 22. Or else they will want someone else to lead the team and those bounty of draft picks they hope to get from trading Watson.

Seahawks- If no change happens this year and Russell moves on; maybe they start over in 23 with a new coach.

Edited by Rdskns2000

https://clutchpoints.com/former-dolphins-wr-kenny-stills-critical-opinion-on-brian-flores-gives-insight-into-surprise-firing/amp/

This article goes into why Flores was fired. He may have been one chasing Watson and alienating Tua but also rubbing a few guys the wrong way.  One thing to get a LB mad at you but your QB? Maybe not. Asking Tua to submit to tests for PED multiple times.

If Flores borders as close to toxic as the Dolphins players describe him, it sounds like it would be quite the mess for Flores to be fighting to keep Watson while Watson has stated that never wants to play for the Texans again, all with a decimated roster.

• Like 1

I still can't shake the fact the Giants ever hired Judge in the first place. Dude was never ready for prime time, and the coaching staff he put together was atrocious too. How can you honestly tell me that, with his resume and the cast of assistants he proposed, he was the most impressive of the candidates the Giants considered two years ago. Impossible. Dude probably went in there talking like BB, acting like BB. I guess it worked. Otherwise it's still a mystery. I know they interviewed McCarthy and Bienemy. Who else? They called of the rest of the interviews after talking to Judge, so unless Wile E. Coyote was one on that list, they obviously should've kept searching if they knew they didn't want Eric or McCarthy.

They'll probably screw it up again, and I hope they do. What are Hue Jackson and Rich Kotite up to these days?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I still can't shake the fact the Giants ever hired Judge in the first place. Dude was never ready for prime time, and the coaching staff he put together was atrocious too. How can you honestly tell me that, with his resume and the cast of assistants he proposed, he was the most impressive of the candidates the Giants considered two years ago. Impossible. Dude probably went in there talking like BB, acting like BB. I guess it worked. Otherwise it's still a mystery. I know they interviewed McCarthy and Bienemy. Who else? They called of the rest of the interviews after talking to Judge, so unless Wile E. Coyote was one on that list, they obviously should've kept searching if they knew they didn't want Eric or McCarthy.

They'll probably screw it up again, and I hope they do. What are Hue Jackson and Rich Kotite up to these days?

Depends on their GM. They aren’t hiring a coach until they hire the GM and the GM will do the hire.

My guess by end of next week; some of these openings maybe filled.

I still think, depending on how the wild card weekend goes; there could be one more opening. If Dallas loses; McCarthy could be gone. Kellen Moore would get the job. Jerry really doesn’t want to lose him.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

With the Cowboys early exit from the playoffs :ols:,  does McCarthy get canned?

Do they let DC Dan Quinn and/or OC Kellen Moore walk when offered positions elsewhere.

I hope they blow up!

Mike will be gone tomorrow. Jerry has his Jason Garrett sequel in Kellen Moore.

His new puppet coach.

• Like 1